Tigerdirect shutting down 3/31/23

colinstu

Summary

Tigerdirect's storefront appears to be shutting down entirely by 3/31/23.

While they did go more business-oriented a few years ago they did still sell normal PC parts that anyone could still purchase. Their Canadian operations shut down a few years ago as well. 

image.png.99d2bc9b8507f8b4d9eabf70b0edf175.png 

After more than 25 years of providing the brands you trust at the prices you love, TigerDirect.com will be retired on March 31, 2023. Thank you for your loyalty and support.

In 2019, Insight acquired TigerDirect. Insight is the leading solutions integrator serving clients of all sizes.

My thoughts

One of the OG places to buy PC parts, I remember flipping through their catalogs a LOT in the early 00s. 

Sources

Directly from TigerDirect

Edited by colinstu

@colinstu please update your post to be in alignment with established requirements for posting Tech News.

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

1 minute ago, Skiiwee29 said:

@colinstu please update your post to be in alignment with established requirements for posting Tech News.

How do I edit the bbcode or markdown or html? This graphical editor is impossible to use on mobile / iOS. 

8 minutes ago, colinstu said:

How do I edit the bbcode or markdown or html? This graphical editor is impossible to use on mobile / iOS. 

Graphical is all you will be able to do that I know of personally. You have a bit of time so if you're not next to a computer right away thats fine. Just tag me once you update it. 

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

1 hour ago, Skiiwee29 said:

Graphical is all you will be able to do that I know of personally. You have a bit of time so if you're not next to a computer right away thats fine. Just tag me once you update it. 

Fixed! 
Not sure where I can report bugs but:

1. While on mobile, impossible to type or place cursor before a quote block if a quote block is started at the beginning of a post
  2. While on mobile, impossible to type or place cursor inside a quote block if the block is empty
  3. Noticed just now while on desktop, when uploading an image and setting the size there doesn't appear to be any way to change the size again, have to delete the attachment entirely and try again. 

Feature request:

1. Alternate editing mode besides the graphical WYSIWYG mode. 

1 minute ago, colinstu said:

Fixed! 
Not sure where I can report bugs but:

1. While on mobile, impossible to type or place cursor before a quote block if a quote block is started at the beginning of a post
  2. While on mobile, impossible to type or place cursor inside a quote block if the block is empty
  3. Noticed just now while on desktop, when uploading an image and setting the size there doesn't appear to be any way to change the size again, have to delete the attachment entirely and try again. 

Feature request:

1. Alternate editing mode besides the graphical WYSIWYG mode. 

Thank you kindly. For bugs/issues, you can submit them here 

https://linustechtips.com/forum/82-forum-bugs-and-issues/

"Black Out"

Dedicated Streaming Rig

28 minutes ago, starsmine said:

Wow I had no idea they still existed. Used them back in the early aughts. 

Glad to know I'm not the only one. Last I shopped there was around 2009-2010 when I built my old PC. I remember their prices having been a bit higher than NCIX, as such I only bought something that was out of stock at NCIX.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

I used to use Tiger Direct back in the day.
I found out they were still in business a couple of years ago about bought a GPU with them (back during the shortages).   My GPU was DOA... and their customer service was absolutely horrendous... I'm not surprised to see this happen.

Honestly forgot they existed. Probably a reason why they went out of business. Also their website looks very outdated so not surprised they went under. I think Newegg already filled tigerdriects role better so likely why they are in the state they are in. I doubt newegg will go under like some think as honestly Newegg is alot better for ordering computer parts than Amazon tbh. 

14 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

Honestly forgot they existed. Probably a reason why they went out of business. Also their website looks very outdated so not surprised they went under. I think Newegg already filled tigerdriects role better so likely why they are in the state they are in. I doubt newegg will go under like some think as honestly Newegg is alot better for ordering computer parts than Amazon tbh. 

Nobody beats Newegg's filtering options.

I remember them being around as an option in the early 2010s.
Immediately forgot they existed afterwards, and was only reminded of their existence when someone would post about their awful customer support or something lmfao

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

Now there's a name I haven't heard in a long time.

Wow that's a name I haven't seen in a hot minute.

Last time I perused their catalog was when I was building my first PC back in 2011. I bought an SSD and some misc components from them. 

MAIN SYSTEM: Intel i9 10850K | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR4-3600C16 | RTX 3070 FE | MSI Z490 Gaming Carbon WIFI | Corsair H100i Pro 240mm AIO | 500GB Samsung 850 Evo + 500GB Samsung 970 Evo Plus SSDs | EVGA SuperNova 850 P2 | Fractal Design Meshify C | Razer Cynosa V2 | Corsair Scimitar Elite | Gigabyte G27Q

Other Devices: iPhone 12 128GB | Nintendo Switch | Surface Pro 7+ (work device)