World’s first RISC-V laptop | ROMA | Deepcomputing | ChromeOS

snappercayt

Summary

TL;DR is Deepcomputing said they would be launching ROMA in Q1 2023 and they are almost there, with Chrome OS coming soon and OpenKylin demo(rather buggy) but working with IPS 1080p display, fingerprint sensor, 4G, USB-C and keeping the 3.5mm headphone jack in place! 

Quotes

"Roma is very buggy, slow but it will get better and so will RISC-V"

Specs:

• 1080p IPS display
  • waterproof backlit keyboard with a RISC-V key instead of super or windows key
  • Core CPU board with 4GB RAM, 16GB storage, dual core GPU and 4 core CPU
  • Main board with IO starting with WiFi, DC, HDMI,  USB-A 3.0 then USB-C
  • Touch pad with fingerprint sensor
  • Sub board for additional IO like sim card, usd card, USB-A 3.0, possibly Gigabit LAN
  • Battery: 48WH nothing fancy

image.thumb.png.8e32a94f9765861b35e1f09a2fa19f63.png

My thoughts

Great attempt to jump in a market with 0 competitors and taking time with software while using the university resources to promote open source ideas, using the Open Source Operating System Technical Conference as the platform to showcase how far they have come was important.

Sources

1. https://deepcomputing.io/roma-product-launch/

2. their twitter 

First laptop? Or first shipping laptop? Is it shipping yet? I know others had been announced in the past, but don't know if they ever shipped.

Edit: in a quick search for "risc-v laptop" first couple of pages of hits were previous news about the same Roma laptop being "available". I know I saw at least one other which isn't this one, but it isn't showing up so far.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

6 minutes ago, porina said:

First laptop? Or first shipping laptop? Is it shipping yet? I know others had been announced in the past, but don't know if they ever shipped.

Edit: in a quick search for "risc-v laptop" first couple of pages of hits were previous news about the same Roma laptop being "available". I know I saw at least one other which isn't this one, but it isn't showing up so far.

not sure shipping or not, I don't know what to do with this link I been seeing for many days

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/DC-ROMA-RISCV-Laptop-Dev-Board_1600610157163.html?spm=a2747.manage.0.0.7bc871d2qKDfEF

Maybe I'm weird, but RISC-V doesn't doesn't seem that special, but everyone else seems to have a hardon for it.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

chrome is going to destroy that ram

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

3 hours ago, Arika S said:

Maybe I'm weird, but RISC-V doesn't doesn't seem that special, but everyone else seems to have a hardon for it.

it is also a historical moment with a new architecture just like 8086 days, everyone thinks they will come out on the top

3 hours ago, ouroesa said:

Gotta love that USD card.

they showcase TF-card but I wanted to use micro SD and at the time of writing my brain said I should save 4 characters....so usd

3 hours ago, Arika S said:

Open source, open architecture, license free, royalty free etc blah blah. Soon as it actually becomes important in the industry and market and becomes performance competitive silicon companies will start adding proprietary accelerators and other components over top of it and patent/trademark that stuff just as much as it happen every other time.

donald-duck-money-money-money.gif  

It's pretty naïve to think it won't happen.

9 hours ago, Arika S said:

but everyone else seems to have a hardon for it.

People always get a hardon for the easy root,  but they never learn hat the easy root comes with consequences and never has any lasting joy.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

I think one of the things people commonly mistake with RISC-V is while the instruction set is open source and some chip designs are open source most (if not all) shipping RISC-V chips themselves (the transistor layout, tooling masks etc) are not open source since building this is very very costly.  For someone currently licensing ARM-cortex cores RISC-V is not much different they are still going to need to find someone with an actual useful core design and license it $$$.   The open source nature of RISC-V is realy only a benefit for the massive supper corporations like Qualcomm, apple, Nvidia who have the RND budgets to take the instruction set and basic open source parts and build thier own micro arc.  

Sure the hope with this core part being open source is that there will be multi micro-arc vendors out there licensing out designs rather than just ARM (while you can license the arm instruction set and build your own arc using it I believe those licenses strictly forbid you from licensing out that micro arc and competing with the cortex line). 

14 minutes ago, hishnash said:

I think one of the things people commonly mistake with RISC-V is while the instruction set is open source and some chip designs are open source most (if not all) shipping RISC-V chips themselves (the transistor layout, tooling masks etc) are not open source since building this is very very costly.  For someone currently licensing ARM-cortex cores RISC-V is not much different they are still going to need to find someone with an actual useful core design and license it $$$.   The open source nature of RISC-V is realy only a benefit for the massive supper corporations like Qualcomm, apple, Nvidia who have the RND budgets to take the instruction set and basic open source parts and build thier own micro arc.  

Mostly this, but I think there is more scaling to it than we're used to with Arm or x86. For now in particular it seems to scale down more, so we're more likely to not know we have it as an embedded controller in products going forwards. WD went this route: https://blog.westerndigital.com/risc-v-swerv-core-open-source/

So maybe high end high performance cores will come out of the bigger companies, with a price to match, but there is more room in the lower to mid range for smaller players to join in.

Also saw an argument that made sense to me, that in academic areas it'll be the tool of choice because of the separation from a for-profit organisation. Wont be overnight but it seems inevitable it is the next thing.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

Seems risky.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

13 hours ago, Arika S said:

Given the recent change to arm licensing deals, a new architecture is more than welcome

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

On 3/27/2023 at 2:07 AM, leadeater said:

Open source, open architecture, license free, royalty free etc blah blah. Soon as it actually becomes important in the industry and market and becomes performance competitive silicon companies will start adding proprietary accelerators and other components over top of it and patent/trademark that stuff just as much as it happen every other time.

donald-duck-money-money-money.gif  

It's pretty naïve to think it won't happen.

It's already happening. RISC-V is not really that relevant for consumers, it's relevant for companies, since you can do your own derivative design without paying royalties, while also having a ISA that most software already supports. You don't need to make your own designs open source, so your end-consumers get no transparency whatsoever.

Still, I do like RISC-V as an ISA, it's really simple and really similar to MIPS.

On 3/27/2023 at 8:25 AM, porina said:

ostly this, but I think there is more scaling to it than we're used to with Arm or x86. For now in particular it seems to scale down more, so we're more likely to not know we have it as an embedded controller in products going forwards. WD went this route: https://blog.westerndigital.com/risc-v-swerv-core-open-source/

Nvidia is also using RISC-V for their Falcon CPUs (the controller found inside modern GPUs that takes care of the firmware stuff).

FX6300 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 | Hyper 212x | 3x 8GB + 1x 4GB @ 1600MHz | Gigabyte 2060 Super | Corsair CX650M | LG 43UK6520PSA
ASUS X550LN | i5 4210u | 12GB
Lenovo N23 Yoga