"small" data centre heats a swimming pool in the UK

GrandFatMan

Summary

A public swimming pool is being heated by a small data centre in the UK. It's about the size of a washing machine and can provide the pool with temperatures up to 30c.

Quotes

The concept, developed over five years, is relatively straight forward. The hot oil is pumped into a heat exchanger to warm the water in the pool. 

My thoughts

What I find interesting here is the fact it's submerged in mineral oil. It doesn't leave much room for troubleshooting, but I find it a little interesting that LMG have been speaking about heating pools with computers, and also the recent discussion on a new submerged system. I wonder if this could be scaled at all. 

Sources

BBC News - Tiny data centre used to heat public swimming pool
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-64939558

Who compares their Rack size to that of a Washing Machine ?

You can take a look at all of the Tech that I own and have owned over the years in my About Me section and on my Profile.

I'm Swiss and my Mother language is Swiss German of course, I speak the Aargauer dialect. If you want to watch a great video about Swiss German which explains the language and outlines the Basics, then click here.

If I could just play Videogames and consume Cool Content all day long for the rest of my life, then that would be sick.

20 minutes ago, soldier_ph said:

my personal rack is about the size of a stacked washer dryer combo

CPU: Intel core i7-8086K Case: CORSAIR Crystal 570X RGB CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H150i PRO RGB Storage: Samsung 980 Pro - 2TB NVMe SSD PSU: EVGA 1000 GQ, 80+ GOLD 1000W, Semi Modular GPU: MSI Radeon RX 580 GAMING X 8G RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4 3200mhz Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E Gaming

1 hour ago, soldier_ph said:

It's a comparison lifted from the article, and to be fair it's a pretty good one for the layperson, which is the BBC's target audience. Especially as most people think of data centres as massive warehouse sized units.

CPU: i7 4790k, RAM: 16GB DDR3, GPU: GTX 1060 6GB

4 minutes ago, JonMunns said:

I was going to post this too! I wonder if this is the future for Linus' pool!

Same - great minds think alike!