Bottom radiator loop questions

CPU and GPU both cooled by the same loop. 

360mm rad, top and bottom.

I heard bottom mounted AIOs are bad, but I assume in a single custom loop the bottom mounted radiator should be fine(?)

I assume all the air bubbles are accumulating only inside the top radiator.

Also additional question; will the bottom mounted radiator actually worsen my GPU temps?

Since the radiator at the bottom is an intake and thus the hot air from the bottom radiator will be moving up, "past" the GPU waterblock... wouldn't that moving heat also warm up the water coolant inside the GPU waterblock? 

Not that it matters "that much" in either case.

12 minutes ago, Protomesh said:

I heard bottom mounted AIOs are bad, but I assume in a single custom loop the bottom mounted radiator should be fine(?)

Yeah, they're fine for custom loops. They're a nightmare to drain (at least with how I implement a drain port), so I'd still avoid them for maintenance reasons, but in terms of the health of the pump it doesn't matter because of the reservoir directly above the pump. 

14 minutes ago, Protomesh said:

Also additional question; will the bottom mounted radiator actually worsen my GPU temps?

Maybe technically, but so little that it would be negligible if at all. It's not something I'd stress about. If it did raise temps at all, it would raise them of everything, not just the GPU exclusively. 

4 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

but in terms of the health of the pump it doesn't matter because of the reservoir directly above the pump. 

I don't actually plan on having a reservoir in my loop at all. 😬

My case choice doesn't really have a place to hook up the reservoir. I guess I could get a really small one, or even put one outside my case but idk.

I've read that you don't actually need a reservoir for your loop, but would it be a bad idea to forgo it if I have a bottom radiator in the loop?

Just now, Protomesh said:

I've read that you don't actually need a reservoir for your loop, but would it be a bad idea to forgo it if I have a bottom radiator in the loop?

As long as you're careful when filling and there's something in the loop above the pump (whether that be a top radiator or a block of some sort), the excess air should get trapped in the that and not the pump, but you really should have a reservoir. It makes you life so much easier for filling and bleeding the loop, plug gives your system a bit more of a thermal buffer so temps rise a little slower. It's not technically necessary, look at AIOs, but just because you don't need something doesn't mean you shouldn't still get one if at all possible. 

There do exist a plethora of options when it comes to a resevoir. Box types that fit in unused drive bays where in the past a cdrom or DVD would be placed.

For convenience micro builds etc there are external box type resevoirs that can be mounted on the back of a case.

Distro boards are expensive but you could even consider an older full cover water block for the older gpus. For example old stock from the GTX 1080 days. just use the block itself as a slim line distro to ensure that you have a visual of the fluid levels and a place where you can if needed bleed some air. That solution would require a little tinkering but those old blocks even brand new are now so cheap just to clear them out as no one really purchases them anymore so they can be had for next to nothing.

Distro plates kill flow rates and are a PITA to clean. I'd go regular tube res if I were you. There are smaller versions too that can mount in unique places, but much harder to fill/bleed air that way.

Yeah the bottom mounted radiator is fine. You have to tip the case around anyway as you fill the loop and bleed the air. AIOs are different because of where they put the pump, which you don't want at the top of the loop.

Zen 3 Daily Rig (2022 - Present): AMD Ryzen 9 5900X + Optimus Foundations AM4 | Nvidia RTX 3080 Ti FE + Alphacool Eisblock 3080 FE | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32GB DDR4-3600 (@3733 c14) | ASUS Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 2x Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB | Crucial MX500 1TB | Corsair RM1000x | Lian Li O11 Dynamic | LG 48" C1 | EK Quantum Kinetic TBE 200 w/ D5 | HWLabs GTX360 and GTS360 | Bitspower True Brass 14mm | Corsair 14mm White PMMA | ModMyMods Mod Water Clear | 9x BeQuiet Silent Wings 3 120mm PWM High Speed | Aquacomputer Highflow NEXT | Aquacomputer Octo

Test Bench: 

CPUs: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400, Core i5-2400, Core i7-4790K, Core i9-10900K, Core i3-13100, Core i9-13900KS

Motherboards: ASUS Z97-Deluxe, EVGA Z490 Dark, EVGA Z790 Dark Kingpin

GPUs: GTX 275 (RIP), 2x GTX 560, GTX 570, 2x GTX 650 Ti Boost, GTX 980, Titan X (Maxwell), x2 HD 6850

Bench: Cooler Master Masterframe 700 (bench mode)

Cooling: Heatkiller IV Pro Pure Copper | Koolance GPU-210 | HWLabs L-Series 360 | XSPC EX360 | Aquacomputer D5 | Bitspower Water Tank Z-Multi 250 | Monsoon Free Center Compressions | Mayhems UltraClear | 9x Arctic P12 120mm PWM PST

10 hours ago, Protomesh said:

I don't actually plan on having a reservoir in my loop at all.

I don't use a reservoir, but I do connect a 3 way and valve fitting near pump inlet. This way I can connect a temporary tube to fill or let out some air. It's not the greatest way to get rid of the trapped air , but does seem to work to some extent.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3950X   Motherboard: MSI X570 Gaming Edge Wifi   Case: Deepcool Maxtrexx 70   GPU: RTX 3090   RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 3x16GB 3200 MHz   PSU: Super Flower 850W

aios on the bottom are bad because the pump is the highest point witch an air bubble can get stuck and will cause problems.

it better to have it stuck in a rad or els ware. thats one point of a res to to catch air bubbles.

you can use a t line as a res. put the t so it feeds in intake of the pump.

fill_system.jpg

Edited by thrasher_565

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

15 hours ago, thrasher_565 said:

aios on the bottom are bad because the pump is the highest point witch an air bubble can get stuck and will cause problems.

it better to have it stuck in a rad or els ware. thats one point of a res to to catch air bubbles.

you can use a t line as a res. put the t so it feeds in intake of the pump.

fill_system.jpg

I don't have much space to work with in my case so not really sure where I could set a reservoir and separate pump at.

I've seen some CPU waterblocks have the pump and a small reservoir integrated...

Any idea how much of a pain it would be to maintain that? First filling will probably be smooth... But more worried about actually emptying the loop especially when the port would be in the middle of all my components so I don't want to splash the coolant on anything...

7 hours ago, Protomesh said:

I don't have much space to work with in my case so not really sure where I could set a reservoir and separate pump at.

I've seen some CPU waterblocks have the pump and a small reservoir integrated...

Any idea how much of a pain it would be to maintain that? First filling will probably be smooth... But more worried about actually emptying the loop especially when the port would be in the middle of all my components so I don't want to splash the coolant on anything...

how small we talking? kuzz you talking about a 360 on top and bottom witch is nonreal size case? still dont see how a t line wont fit. dont no what you got so just guessing 🤷‍♂️

bill from mnpc tec did this to one of his pcs but hes and expert. i think this is the one?

it will be a nightmare to fill... for emptying it i like to try and probably get my gpu out. then i can take the cpu block off the mb then pull the mb. thats how i do it. spilling is the risk of custom water cooling. i killed one mb by doing that.

Edited by thrasher_565

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

3 hours ago, thrasher_565 said:

how small we talking? kuzz you talking about a 360 on top and bottom witch is nonreal size case? still dont see how a t line wont fit. dont no what you got so just guessing 🤷‍♂️

Jonsbo D31 which is a mATX case at ~31L volume. 

It's not like a super tiny one but awkward layout since it's a single chamber design so I don't know where to really mount any reservoirs at since the PSU is already taking a lot of space, not to mention the cables. 

9 hours ago, Protomesh said:

Jonsbo D31 which is a mATX case at ~31L volume. 

It's not like a super tiny one but awkward layout since it's a single chamber design so I don't know where to really mount any reservoirs at since the PSU is already taking a lot of space, not to mention the cables. 

well a guy on youtube tryed alphacool custem aio and it was not enough for a gpu/ cpu loop with one rad. there are ddc blocks witch would be the best bet i would think but i think its $300... but building small cost moeny anyway.

https://www.bykski.us/products/bykski-cpu-xpr-ddc-m-cpu-water-cooling-block-pump-combo-black-w-rbw-am4-am3-fm2-ryzen-3-5-7

found it

Edited by thrasher_565

2 hours ago, thrasher_565 said:

well a guy on youtube tryed alphacool custem aio and it was not enough for a gpu/ cpu loop with one rad. there are ddc blocks witch would be the best bet i would think but i think its $300... but building small cost moeny anyway.

https://www.bykski.us/products/bykski-cpu-xpr-ddc-m-cpu-water-cooling-block-pump-combo-black-w-rbw-am4-am3-fm2-ryzen-3-5-7

found it

Well I would be using two XSPC Ultraslim 360mm radiators with Scythe slim fans but idk I might have to reconsider. 

1 minute ago, Protomesh said:

Well I would be using two XSPC Ultraslim 360mm radiators with Scythe slim fans but idk I might have to reconsider. 

i dont no im not a micro atx guy so not really the one with answers. i jsut no alot about water cooling form years of looking at parts. 

Optimum Tech on youtube is really in to that kinda of stuff and also water cools.

there are options out there but it will cost alot and sound like its alot of trial and error so be prepared to buy something that wont fit...

20 minutes ago, thrasher_565 said:

i dont no im not a micro atx guy so not really the one with answers. i jsut no alot about water cooling form years of looking at parts. 

Optimum Tech on youtube is really in to that kinda of stuff and also water cools.

there are options out there but it will cost alot and sound like its alot of trial and error so be prepared to buy something that wont fit...

The fitment issues are still a big problem to deal with even large cases 😁 

But yeah, I watch Optimum Tech a fair bit but he generally only does watercooling for CPUs. 

I'm sort of weird in that way either I must go really small or really big. I don't like standard mid towers much. They have too much empty space in them while also not being large enough for multiple thick radiators.

2 hours ago, Protomesh said:

The fitment issues are still a big problem to deal with even large cases 😁 

But yeah, I watch Optimum Tech a fair bit but he generally only does watercooling for CPUs. 

I'm sort of weird in that way either I must go really small or really big. I don't like standard mid towers much. They have too much empty space in them while also not being large enough for multiple thick radiators.

i love water cooling so big cases for me... my build has like 5x 560 45mm thic rads and another 4x 360 rads but its for 2 pcs...

i get the empty space but idk really but my build should fill it out ok.

22 minutes ago, thrasher_565 said:

i love water cooling so big cases for me... my build has like 5x 560 45mm thic rads and another 4x 360 rads but its for 2 pcs...

i get the empty space but idk really but my build should fill it out ok.

Yeah will see. I might wanna go for maximum cooling with like 8 radiators also 😁

36 minutes ago, Protomesh said:

Yeah will see. I might wanna go for maximum cooling with like 8 radiators also 😁

ya WAY over kill...but fun... and rads should last a long time...

many mistakes in my build...kinda a how to not build a pc... probably should have went rack mount case instead... oh well.

mu original plan was to use the thermltake core 200 pedestal and put 2x bequiet 900 cases as the mb was flipable and the rads in the pedestal but the pedestal didn't come with a top witch led me to but the case for it and from there...no idea... i lost count on how much ive spent.. over like 7 years and counting...

but i also lover cases and probably should have split up in to 2 pcs instead of 2 in one... thats what i recommend. or should have used my caselabs th10 and add another mb too it was a option i did thing about...

the build also trying to hook 2 monitors to 4 pcs... ya a challenge... as well as audio...

Edited by thrasher_565

8 minutes ago, thrasher_565 said:

ya WAY over kill...but fun... and rads should last a long time...

many mistakes in my build...kinda a how to not build a pc... probably should have went rack mount case instead... oh well.

mu original plan was to use the thermltake core 200 pedestal and put 2x bequiet 900 cases as the mb was flipable and the rads in the pedestal but the pedestal didn't come with a top witch led me to but the case for it and from there...no idea... i lost count on how much ive spent.. over like 7 years and counting...

but i also lover cases and probably should have split up in to 2 pcs instead of 2 in one... thats what i recommend. or should have used my caselabs th10 and add another mb too it was a option i did thing about...

the build also trying to hook 2 monitors to 4 pcs... ya a challenge... as well as audio...

Lol! I'm looking at Thermaltake W200 (+P200 pedestal) myself! 

It has bracket mounts so that's pretty good. To my belief it has the most rad space out of any case I've seen. Over double that of 1000D or V3000 Plus.

I'm thinking of putting 82 fans inside one... Handling the cables will be a nightmare 😆

About the missing "top", if you're mounting the pedestal on top of the W200, I believe you're supposed to remove the top of the W200 and put it on the P200 but I could be wrong. 

Thermaltake has pretty poor manuals from what I've seen.

12 minutes ago, Protomesh said:

Lol! I'm looking at Thermaltake W200 (+P200 pedestal) myself! 

It has bracket mounts so that's pretty good. To my belief it has the most rad space out of any case I've seen. Over double that of 1000D or V3000 Plus.

I'm thinking of putting 82 fans inside one... Handling the cables will be a nightmare 😆

About the missing "top", if you're mounting the pedestal on top of the W200, I believe you're supposed to remove the top of the W200 and put it on the P200 but I could be wrong. 

Thermaltake has pretty poor manuals from what I've seen.

back at ces when the case came out they showed off it being sat on top of the case. so i thought it came with one but it dose not.

there https://www.mountainmods.com/  as well. caselabs is running but in the uk and atm just parts.

so the Thermaltake W200 has 120 and 140mounts but only 140 rads will mount to it as the 120 spacing is off. but it dose have 4 rad brackets witch can do 200mm i think.

the cheapest option is probly mounting a super nova. witch is 3x 360mm rads. i think it will fit in the pedistal and to the top of the case? with 200mm fans to it oh man...

they dont sell the hdd cages or flex mounting so it be diy... i think there a guy they made a 3d print of 5.25 flex. it also dose not come with enough flex mount fan mounts. only 4 so only 1 per fan instead of 8... cheap bastards...

Edited by thrasher_565