GeForce GTX 880 ES Intercepted En Route Testing Lab, Features 8 GB Memory?

digitalnav

900x900px-LL-5066e815_13a.jpeg

Would be great to see 8GB cards finally.

An engineering sample (ES) of the GeForce GTX 880 was intercepted on its way from a factory in China, to NVIDIA's development center in India, where it will probably undergo testing and further development. The shipping manifest of the courier ferrying NVIDIA's precious package was sniffed out by the Chinese press. NVIDIA was rather descriptive about the ES, in its shipping declaration. Buzzwords include "GM204" and "8 GB GDDR5," hinting at what could two of the most important items on its specs sheet. GM204 is a successor of GK104, and is rumored to feature 3,200 CUDA cores, among other things, including a 256-bit wide memory bus. If NVIDIA is cramming 8 GB onto the card, it must be using some very high density memory chips. The manifest also declares its market value at around 47,000 Indian Rupees. It may convert to US $780, but adding all taxes and local markups, 47,000 INR is usually where $500-ish graphics cards end up in the Indian market. The R9 290X, for example, is going for that much.

http://www.techpowerup.com/200505/geforce-gtx-880-es-intercepted-en-route-testing-lab-features-8-gb-memory.html

Research and Development at Digital Storm

Personal Website: www.DigitalNav.net

256-bit with not 4 but 8 gigs? THE HELL IS THIS?!?!

Andres "Bluejay" Alejandro Montefusco - The Forums Favorite Bird!!!

Top Clock: 7.889 Ghz Cooled by: Liquid Helium   

#ChocolateRAM #OatmealFans #ScratchItHarder #WorstcardBestoverclocker #CrazySexStories #SchnitzelQuest TS3 SERVER

So GTX 880 is 8 GB now?

and for 500ish, thats a cheap high end 4K video card:D

Now i need the release date:DD

[spoiler= Dream machine (There is also a buildlog)]

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe - CPU: I7 5820k @4.4 ghz 1.225vcore - GPU: 2x Asus GTX 970 Strix edition - Mainboard: Asus X99-S - RAM: HyperX predator 4x4 2133 mhz - HDD: Seagate barracuda 2 TB 7200 rpm - SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB SSD - PSU: Corsair HX1000i - Case fans: 3x Noctua PPC 140mm - Radiator fans: 3x Noctua PPC 120 mm - CPU cooler: Fractal design Kelvin S36 together with Noctua PPCs - Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Cherry gaming keyboard - mouse: Steelseries sensei raw - Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud Build Log

Welcome to Nvidia

[spoiler= Dream machine (There is also a buildlog)]

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe - CPU: I7 5820k @4.4 ghz 1.225vcore - GPU: 2x Asus GTX 970 Strix edition - Mainboard: Asus X99-S - RAM: HyperX predator 4x4 2133 mhz - HDD: Seagate barracuda 2 TB 7200 rpm - SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB SSD - PSU: Corsair HX1000i - Case fans: 3x Noctua PPC 140mm - Radiator fans: 3x Noctua PPC 120 mm - CPU cooler: Fractal design Kelvin S36 together with Noctua PPCs - Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Cherry gaming keyboard - mouse: Steelseries sensei raw - Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud Build Log

So GTX 880 is 8 GB now?

and for 500ish, thats a cheap high end 4K video card:D

Now i need the release date:DD

With a 256bit bus? hell no.

144Hz goodness

This is dark voodoo.

I refuse to believe this!

Unless they send an ES to me, then I'll rephrase. :D

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

« Current PC ~ Phantom Beast »

.::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::.

Welcome to Nvidia

With a 256bit bus? hell no.

256bit is only a rumor and there is no way its true

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

For the most part, the value of things is always documented as less when shipping.  It saves you money that way.

Case: NZXT H500i. Motherboard: Asus Prime Z390-A. CPU: i7 9700k OC @ 5.0GHz. GPU: EVGA 2080 FTW3 CPU Cooler: NZXT X62. Memory: G. Skill Ripjaws 32Gb 3200mhz. Storage: 1TB Samsung 840 EVO SSD /  120GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD  /  WD Caviar Black 3TB / WD Caviar Green 4TB. . PSU: Corsair AX760. Monitor: 2x Acer XB270HU. Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB. Mouse: Corsair Glaive. 

HbiQlm8.jpg

If this is true, once it's released my 780 is getting replaced.

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

Surround 4k, yayayayayayay

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

HbiQlm8.jpg

If this is true, once it's released my 780 is getting replaced.

That picture is impacting my brain... a quiet lol was had.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Cool... But it's better to wait for the official specs from Nvidia.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X with Nox Hummer H240 Aura AIO Liquid Cooler; MOBO: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F; GPU: XFX RX 6800 RAM: Viper Steel 16 Gb (2X8) 4400Mhz DDR4; Storage: Adata XPG 512 Gb M.2 NVME SSD + 1 Tb WD Blue HDD + 1 Lexar Tb SSD; Case: Phanteks P350X; PSU: Corsair RM750i 80+ Gold; Monitor: Gigabyte M27Q 1440p @170hz; Headset: Hyper X Cloud Stinger; K&M: CM Storm Quickfire TK & Logitech G502.

i call BS on the CUDA count, no way they got 3.2K cores onto the die without a nodeshrink. i call BS on 256bit bus, they are known for the narrow bus - high vram speed, but this is just ridiculous. 

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

Would be great to see 8GB cards finally.

why? not like we need 8gb...

That's interesting but I was too distracted by the water cooled plunger. I can't say I ever used a plunger so intensively that I needed active cooling, let alone water cooling.

-------

Current Rig

-------

why? not like we need 8gb...

Actually the way things are going you might need 8gb video ram before you need 16gb of system ram. Well not really but wouldn't that be something? A computer that basically becomes even more of a support system for the GPU. Maybe even going with a modular GPU solution on a dual case in the future: half the case for the PC and the other half for a GPU motherboard and your choice of GPU processor and gddr memory, and your selection of cooling

-------

Current Rig

-------

no way the 256bit bus is true...

on the other hand... WE NOW HAVE WATER COOLED PLUNGERS!!! PRAISE THE LORD!!

wat. 256bit bus, they're losing the plot. if this is true of course.

How much would 4K surround need?

To play devil's advocate (I seem to be doing that a lot lately, I sure hope the devil sends me a big fat check for legal fees soon) even if the 880 was twice as fast as the current 780ti (which would be beyond everybody's wildest dreams, it will more likely be the usual 15-25% increase) I don't think it would be able to drive anything at 12k on a multiple 4k monitor set up. It would be like people putting 4 or 6gb of ram on a 760: it would be good for exactly 1 game experience: A heavily modded old game like Skyrim.

-------

Current Rig

-------

It's this 256 bus that makes me instantly disbelieve any rumour about any 800 series. I know Nvidia can make mistakes. But until they officially announce I will not believe they are stupid enough to put a 256 bit bus on 8GB of RAM without like 20000 MHz on the VRAM

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - CPU Cooler: Deepcool Castle 240EX - Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC

RAM: 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RBG 3200MHz - GPU: MSI RTX 3080 GAMING X TRIO

To play devil's advocate (I seem to be doing that a lot lately, I sure hope the devil sends me a big fat check for legal fees soon) even if the 880 was twice as fast as the current 780ti (which would be beyond everybody's wildest dreams, it will more likely be the usual 15-25% increase) I don't think it would be able to drive anything at 12k on a multiple 4k monitor set up. It would be like people putting 4 or 6gb of ram on a 760: it would be good for exactly 1 game experience: A heavily modded old game like Skyrim.

Well when I say 4K surround I'm ignoring the GPU's actual processing power. Partly because it would be complete guesswork to try and judge, and partly because some where at some point someone's going to stick four of these in a rig and try it and they'll still need enough ram each.

Well when I say 4K surround I'm ignoring the GPU's actual processing power. Partly because it would be complete guesswork to try and judge, and partly because some where at some point someone's going to stick four of these in a rig and try it and they'll still need enough ram each.

True, but like you say each card would have it's own memory so each individual card shouldn't need more than what it's processor can actually leverage which I imagine would be nothing over 4 or maybe 6gb.

Incidentally, this would not be an issue if we could get my proposed modular GPU system: You buy a big case (or a separate one) and you can put whatever amount of gddr modules you need and 1, 2 or more GPUs in your GPU motherboard. Seriously why are we not doing that?

-------

Current Rig

-------

this looks interesting, I'm assuming th 256bit memory bus is BS though, that wouldn't make sense at all with 8GB of vram.