The famous Skidrow pirating group complains about its work being copy-pasted

KakaoDj

No honour amongst theives

------------------------------------------------------I HAZ SHINY----------------------------------------------------------

There is a difference between complaining and suing someone or a company. I say I wanna kill all the MP's doesn't mean I'm going to do it....................Although..............?

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

Cracking is fun :D

My Sig Rig: "X79 (3970X) -Midas"http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wsjGt6"  "Midas" Build Log - https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/59768-build-log-in-progress-code-name-midas/

"The Riddler" Custom Watercooled H440 Build Log ( in collaboration with my wife @ _TechPuppet_ ) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/149652-green-h440-special-edition-the-riddler-almost-there/

*Riptide Customs* " We sleeve PSU cables "

Yes it is. Circumventing drm for personal use of legally acquired software is not piracy.

Your distinction to gain petty moral high-ground is pointless in the real world. In both cases, you are a criminal in the eyes of a court.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

What gives the right for Skidrow to complain? I just cant believe criminals complain about people coping their work.

What gives the right for anyone to complain about anything? Whether cracking the game is legal or not they did write the code so they do have reason to complain when someone else uses it and claims its their own.

Not much can be done about it though except them advertising against that group. There will also likely be others in the community that will side with skidrow.

What gives the right for anyone to complain about anything? Whether cracking the game is legal or not they did write the code so they do have reason to complain when someone else uses it and claims its their own.

Not much can be done about it though except them advertising against that group. There will also likely be others in the community that will side with skidrow.

I don't digress, with the fact that they are POed about people copying them, just the fact that they complain about it. I mean come on, when you do something illegal you cant really expect any different from the people that do the same as you. Just one of those things you know you have to take it up the tail pipe weather you agree or disagree with people copying your work. I mean Profosist you know me :D;)

My Sig Rig: "X79 (3970X) -Midas"http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wsjGt6"  "Midas" Build Log - https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/59768-build-log-in-progress-code-name-midas/

"The Riddler" Custom Watercooled H440 Build Log ( in collaboration with my wife @ _TechPuppet_ ) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/149652-green-h440-special-edition-the-riddler-almost-there/

*Riptide Customs* " We sleeve PSU cables "

Your distinction to gain petty moral high-ground is pointless in the real world. In both cases, you are a criminal in the eyes of a court.

Even so, I can't understand how someone could think that downloading paid software without purchasing it is not stealing.

It doesn't bother me if people use cracks on software they've already purchased.

I agree. If I someone has legitimately purchased a game I see no problem in using a no CD crack for example.

The cake is a lie!!! -- but the muffins are genuine.

Even so, I can't understand how someone could think that downloading paid software without purchasing it is not stealing.

Simple. Stealing something diminishes it and harms the owner. Pirating software is essentially doing a copy-paste. The original is not diminished by this process nor the creator loses anything.. Arguing that a pirated copy is a lost sale is a logical fallacy. There is no guarantee that the pirate was going to buy the software.

The pirate may or may not buy the software if there was no means of pirating. However, it is also equally possible that the pirate may or may not buy the software even after pirating.

Let's simplify this further:

Piracy       Sale

True     +   True       = 1 (Profit, no Loss)

True     +   False      = 1 (No profit, no Loss)

False     +   True      = 1 (Profit, no Loss)

False     +   False     = 0 (No profit, no Loss)

You can see by this logic  with or without piracy the possibilities of profit and loss do not change.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

I think that they have the right to complain if that is true. Skidrow sure is contributing to piracy but the stealing part are actually people who don't want to pay for the games and leech those torrents.

Piracy isn't stealing, you're not stealing a unit?

Are you twelve?  Unauthorized use of someone else's IP is essentially stealing, you're playing at semantics and not substance.

Piracy isn't stealing, you're not stealing a unit?

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

Are you twelve?  Unauthorized use of someone else's IP is essentially stealing, you're playing at semantics and not substance.

The need for personal attacks, you're the real twelve year old. :\

Lol saw this in trials torrent a ton of people in the comments were raging at codex and I never knew skidrow was a group I thought it was one guy

I think some people here are missing the moral of the story. CODEX isn't "pirating" pirated work. They are in fact stealing it and claiming credits for it. That's entirely different than what a cracker is intended to do. The whole purpose is to crack it so people can use it freely, yet encourage them to actually buy the software afterwards. CODEX on the other hand is just going "derp look how good we cracking dis shit" when all they are doing is NOP'n out a few instructions in Skidrow's releases. Essentially stealing a name for themselves. It's no different than any of you writing a piece of software, and me copying it and stripping all the proof that its yours and claiming it as my own work. Skidrow doesn't claim to write the software they crack, they only claim that they were able to crack it.

aside the irony involved, those Codex guys proved a pretty good point to Skidrow in that letter... but who knows,,,who knows

as long as there be games, ill keep quiet and enjoy LOL

PC Gaming forever...

codex1.png

...guess Skidrow "Captured the Flag"  :lol: 

"Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want" - Dan Stanford

Project Sandrock (Ended): http://linustechtips.com/main/gallery/album/75-project-sandrock/

Project Murasame Liger (WIP): http://linustechtips.com/main/gallery/album/400-project-murasame-liger/

Also, again, I stand my ground: pirating is not stealing. It is copying.

The company does not have 1 unit less and you don't have 1 unit more.

Reply rationally please, not with insults this time.

Definition of Steal: take (another person's property) without permission or legal right and without intending to return it.

So yes, pirating is stealing. I don't know why you're trying to argue that so badly, the common mind of the pirate is "I was never going to buy this diamond, so it's not stealing if I take it."

My previous 4P Folding & current Personal Rig

I once was a poor man, but then I found a crown.

Definition of Steal: take (another person's property) without permission or legal right and without intending to return it.

So yes, pirating is stealing. I don't know why you're trying to argue that so baoudly, the common mind of the pirate is "I was never going to buy this diamond, so it's not stealing if I take it."

Except I do buy.... (If it is a good product of course)

And I am willing to argue that a lot of people buy because of pirating first.

Not that I pirate games\movies or music anymore ( I mean really who needs it with Youtube,Spotify and Steam and Netflix) but I do believe it promotes sales instead of 'damaging' the companies which they all claim so much.

Let's be frank: students simply have very little income, people and families with low income in general, pirating is a solution to get entertainment, and if you look at prices these days....no wonder people do it so much still.

The thing is, in first world countries entertainment is at our very fingertips, the lower income segment of society goes to pirating to get what they can't afford, I don't find it weird at all that people still pirate.

Yeah, you got the term of 'stealing' argument, you won it,

But I don't agree with the whole white-knight, morally pure white 'pirates are bad people' one bit.

Unless you believe things that aren't physically tangible have no value, aka Intellectual Property, you're still playing at semantics.  Unauthorized use of IP is unauthorized use of IP.  Call it stealing or pirating or theft or copying or whatever you want, the meaning is the same.  You're appealing to the less negative connotations of the word copying by using it instead of stealing, when the specific word used doesn't matter.  It's still unauthorized use of someone else's IP.

The reason I asked you if you're a child still is because typically children haven't developed their brains enough to be able to understand the concept of IP.  No one thinks a book is really worth $42 brand new hardcover when it's released.  It's a pile of ink and some sheets of paper.  It's component value is probably $4.  The specific arrangement of ink and pages contained within the book is the valuable part, which isn't particularly tangible.  The story, or IP, has the value.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

Yes I also think pirating can boost sales to people who otherwise wouldn't risk buying it.  I also think companies are full of crap with all of their pirates are the end of the industry bologna they like to spew.

However.  Today at least, there are so many free and really low cost alternatives to entertaining ones self through movies/music/gaming.  There is no real reason anyone needs to pirate, say, the new Call of duty or whatever other recently released AAA game or the newest game of thrones.  "I want to use/play/watch/etc" it, to me, isn't reason enough to pirate someone else's IP.  I work hard for my money, I'm sure they work hard for theirs too.(even if it's crap)  I don't need to pirate Game of Thrones, there's more than enough content for me to watch elsewhere, on youtube, on netflix, on cable, on steam sales, GoG sales, GMG sales, origin sales, UPlay sales, spotify, web based radio, that there's no reason for me to ever want to pirate something.  

If someone can't afford the $8/mo for netflix on top of their internet service, or the $2 for steam sale games, or enjoy the many free to play games out there, there are bigger issues at hand than being poor.  If you can't buy a $2 game or a $5 game, why do you even have internet.  Go do odd jobs for people, I'm sure you can earn enough to buy a game.

Except I do buy.... (If it is a good product of course)

And I am willing to argue that a lot of people buy because of pirating first.

Not that I pirate games\movies or music anymore ( I mean really who needs it with Youtube,Spotify and Steam and Netflix) but I do believe it promotes sales instead of 'damaging' the companies which they all claim so much.

Let's be frank: students simply have very little income, people and families with low income in general, pirating is a solution to get entertainment, and if you look at prices these days....no wonder people do it so much still.

The thing is, in first world countries entertainment is at our very fingertips, the lower income segment of society goes to pirating to get what they can't afford, I don't find it weird at all that people still pirate.

Yeah, you got the term of 'stealing' argument, you won it,

But I don't agree with the whole white-knight, morally pure white 'pirates are bad people' one bit.