Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon Graphics Card Buyer's Guide

We did our usual things:

post-3-0-25446400-1368159491.jpg

3960X @ 4.0GHz test bench

ALL graphics cards overclocked per this spreadsheet: http://bit.ly/XuKHiB

In-game performance - NO canned benchmarks

Still using FRAPS (yes we know it's not perfect, but we don't have a frame capture system at this point) but it's still not that far off for single GPU configurations which is all we're looking at here.

We took cards at 4 different price points - $100, $200, $300, and $400 and we tell you what's the best value for Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon!

post-3-0-34497600-1368159492.jpg

At $100, no surprises here. The 7770 wins like it always does

post-3-0-87926700-1368159492.jpg

At $200(ish) it's a more even fight, but the 7870 just doesn't relent. Bear in mind our 7870 sample is a DOG overclocker, so this is kinda a worst case scenario for that card!

post-3-0-45365200-1368159493.jpg

At $300 things level out a little bit. The Radeon card was able to perform 10% better, but it also cost 10% more!

post-3-0-97967400-1368159493.jpg

At $400 for some reason our GTX 670 didn't really scale further than our GTX 660 Ti in Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon, but our 7970 did, so the nod goes to AMD here. The overall value in terms of "FPS per dollar" is lower in both camps compared to the $300 price bracket though.

post-3-0-48489300-1368159494.jpg

Thanks for checking this out and guys leave your comments. I do try to read them all :)

post-3-0-25446400-1368159491.jpg

post-3-0-34497600-1368159492.jpg

post-3-0-87926700-1368159492.jpg

post-3-0-45365200-1368159493.jpg

post-3-0-97967400-1368159493.jpg

post-3-0-48489300-1368159494.jpg

Not surprised that the AMD cards beat out the NVIDIA cards. Right now AMD is really on their A game in terms of GPU performance which means everyone if they have no need for CUDA or 3D should be buying an AMD card. Better price to performance and better game bundle. Hopefully NVIDIA brings their A game when they release their 700 series. Otherwise I might actually shift to the Red team.

Join the LinusTechTips Star Citizen Org :D ~ https://robertsspaceindustries.com/orgs/UOLTT

While neat you guys benched Blood Dragon, it isn't all that much different from Far Cry 3 bar the scanline filter. Every game should have a scanline filter. Also not surprised by the results, AMD has been cleaning house lately. Would love to see a 7870 Tahiti LE thrown into the mix but that doesn't fit into any of the price brackets.

sigh if only amd cards were optimized for FAH... then the line-up would be perfect

I don't know what you were going for in the video's opening... Linus Redneck Tips...??

LOL. The recent benchmarks have YouTube commenters bashing Linus as a AMD fanboy because of the results.

AMD kicks ass again... then again this is FC3 with lasers... and dragons which shoot lasers...

I like it that there is someone in Linus Media Group actually likes to play games ( you Slick ). Your benchmark is realistic and you actually benchmark the good games that you like to play. Unlike most other people who just benchmark to get the number, or other people who don't even play games cos they don't have time. 

AMD is just better optimized for the game :) and its a really fun game at that

My Sig Rig: "X79 (3970X) -Midas"http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wsjGt6"  "Midas" Build Log - https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/59768-build-log-in-progress-code-name-midas/

"The Riddler" Custom Watercooled H440 Build Log ( in collaboration with my wife @ _TechPuppet_ ) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/149652-green-h440-special-edition-the-riddler-almost-there/

*Riptide Customs* " We sleeve PSU cables "

I bought my 7870 during the Far Cry 3 never settle bundle how to i get Blood Dragon?

Still need to get this game >_<

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

Linus did you hear the news that AMD is gonna skip the 8000 series for desktops , they only gonna make 8000M graphics.

Interested in Business and Technology

We did our usual things:

Linus, I've always wondered, why don't you do a 7970 Ghz Edition vs 680?

Desktop: Intel Core i7-5820K, Corsair H115i, Asus X99-Deluxe/USB 3.1, G.Skill Ripjaws4 32GB 2800MHz CL16, Zotac RTX 3070, Samsung 950 Pro 512GB in Angelbird Wings PX1, Samsung 850 EVO 1TB, 5*Seagate 12TB, Cooler Master V1200, Phanteks Enthoo Luxe, Windows 10 Pro. Phillips 328P6VUBREB, Corsair Vengeance K95 RGB Cherry MX Brown, Logitech G502 X Plus, Sennheiser HD700.

AYANEO 2S: AMD 7800U, 32GB 7500MHz, 2TB WD SN850X. Windows 11.

Linus, I've always wondered, why don't you do a 7970 Ghz Edition vs 680?

The reason is to protect nvidia...

I bought my 7870 during the Far Cry 3 never settle bundle how to i get Blood Dragon?

you have to buy it, its a stand alone game for $15

Linus did you hear the news that AMD is gonna skip the 8000 series for desktops , they only gonna make 8000M graphics.

If true then it's not an entirely bad decision IMO.  Actually, it kind of reinforces the idea that their cards are good enough for the rest of the year.  Going above achieving the goal of providing butter smooth graphics for 99% of all the titles out there becomes a point of diminishing returns.  Yeah, their next immediate iteration of cards will be more powerful but how exactly are you going to benefit from that if the current offering is already killing it?  Their high end main stream card, the 7950, is more than up to the task delivering awesome value.  I can see this card and the 7970 being just fine as their top offerings until Q1 of 2014.

The mobile market of course could use more performance to get it on par with desktop levels from a cost perspective. 

My Stuff:  Corsair Obisidan 550D - Phobya Nano-2G 120mm x 5 - Corsair H100i - MSI Z77A-GD65 Gaming - Intel 3570K - G.Skill 8GBx2 1866 - EVGA ACX GTX 780 3GB SuperClocked(Step Up to 780 Ti) - Samsung 840 500GB SSD - WD Black 1TB x 2 - LG Blu-ray - ASUS VG248QE + ASUS PB278Q - Corsair M65 with MM400 Pad - Ducky Shine II MX Brown with Gray/White Keycaps - Corsair K70 MX Red - CoolerMaster Quickfire TK MX Brown - Ducky Pro2 MX Blue with Gray PBT Keycaps - Ducky Pro2 MX Clears with Gray/Blue PBT Keycaps - Ducky Pro2 MX Browns with Light Gray and White PBT Keycaps

ALL graphics cards overclocked per this spreadsheet: http://bit.ly/XuKHiB

I clicked this and got a 404 ,....couldnt find the page you requested...404

Broken?

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

sigh if only amd cards were optimized for FAH... then the line-up would be perfect

It seems kinda funny you wrote this because AMD cards are beast at BOINC... I guess Red team just offers more choice ;)  j/k

But I digress... Benching BLOOD DRAGON does seem a little like repetitive. I understand that people want the newest titles, but it doesn't really bring anything new to the conversation except test newer drivers on an older game.

Not surprised that the AMD cards beat out the NVIDIA cards. Right now AMD is really on their A game in terms of GPU performance which means everyone if they have no need for CUDA or 3D should be buying an AMD card. Better price to performance and better game bundle. Hopefully NVIDIA brings their A game when they release their 700 series. Otherwise I might actually shift to the Red team.

AMD; best bang for the buck once again XD

PROFILEYEAH

What do people even put in these things?

They're getting better with Core 17, my 7850 used to get 10K PPD, it now get 45k PPD (averages)

"An Excellent Signature"

nvidia is going to beat amd with the 700 series, but later this year when amd releases volcanic islands, nvidia is screwed.

you have to buy it, its a stand alone game for $15

i bought my asus  radeon 7870 direct cu cards for my old build and one a month earlier for my new build about a week before the steam tomb raider promo unlocked in steam, and some how when far cry 3 came out a month or so later amd added it to my free games even though i bought both my cards way before it was realeased and added to the promo.

if u got the promo email from amd they sent out another email with the fc3 blood dragon code this is what it said

Special Announcement - AMD Gaming Evolved Never Settle Reloaded
Inbox
x
profile_mask2.png
AMD Gaming Evolved <support@amd4u.com>
May 1
cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif
cleardot.gif
to
cleardot.gif

Far Cry® 3 Blood Dragon is now available in the Never Settle Reloaded promotion!
There’s even more good news for those of you that have already redeemed a code: we’re giving you a FREE COPY of Far Cry® 3 Blood Dragon in the email below to say thank you for supporting AMD Radeon™ Graphics!

Codes for Far Cry® 3 Blood Dragon will be sent out starting the first week of May after the game is released. See www.amd.com/neversettlereloadedoffer for full terms and conditions.

this showed up in my email out of nowhere