AMD Ryzen 7000 Series non-X Processor SKUs Confirmed with 65W TDP, comes with Boxed Coolers

Summary

There will indeed be three new SKUs added to the Zen 4 7000 series lineup; the 6-core/12-thread Ryzen 5 7600, the 8-core/16-thread Ryzen 7 7700, and the 12-core/24-thread Ryzen 9 7900 but no 16-core part. All three SKUs have their TDP rated at 65 W, which means that their PIB (processor in box) retail packages will include a stock cooling solution.

AMD-RYZEN-7000-SPECS-1200x558.thumb.jpg.6f2669bd5d49c01d18c4e5bf45a2b9fc.jpg

AMD-RYZEN-7000-PRICING.thumb.jpg.b4b81042b008a0b981de99924ac13c61.jpg

Quotes

The Ryzen 9 7900 is the first model of the new Ryzen CPU family, and it is a 12-core processor with a boost frequency of up to 5.4 GHz. Reportedly, the base clock is 3.7 GHz, which is exactly 1.0 GHz slower than the 7900X. The presentation suggests that this CPU would retail for $429, making it a viable alternative to the Intel Core i9-13900 and i9-12900.

The non-X variant of the 8-core Ryzen 7 7700 clocks in at 3.8 GHz and can be overclocked to 5.3 GHz. This variant has a maximum frequency 100 MHz lower than the 7700X and a base frequency 700 MHz lower.  At $329, this processor would go up against Intel's Core i7-13700 and i7-12700K.

The 6-core non-X Ryzen 5 7600 now has a boost clock of up to 5.1 GHz and a base clock of 3.8 GHz (0.9 GHz slower than 7600X). At $229, this CPU would go up against the $219 Core i5-13600 and the $219 Core i5-12600.

The 7600 comes with a Wraith Stealth cooler that's capable of handling thermal loads of 65 W TDP processors at stock speeds; while the 7700 and 7900 will include a feature-packed Wraith Prism RGB cooler that's designed for 140 W TDP processors.

The three chips should be drop-in compatible with Socket AM5 motherboards being sold right now, likely with no need for a BIOS update.

My thoughts

I see this as a clever move by AMD to release these processors -- as you get a discount, they will run much cooler than their "X" counterparts, and performance will probably be not too far off from their "X" siblings either. Only problem is, as Guru3D points out with their chart, is that current prices of the "X" SKUs still have heavy discounts from Black Friday/Cyber Monday. Videocardz also adds that $20-30 more gets you an "X" SKU, therefore it may be hard to sell these non-X SKUs. Unless of course AMD stops discounting the "X" SKUs and they go back to MSRP; which then becomes a conundrum in itself. Supposedly AMD will announce these non-X CPUs officially at CES 2023, with embargo lifting on the 9th of January. It will be interesting to see the performance delta between the non-X parts and X parts, but I'm mostly interested in seeing the temperature differences. 

Sources

https://www.techpowerup.com/302319/amd-ryzen-7000-non-x-processor-skus-confirmed-with-65w-tdp-boxed-coolers

https://videocardz.com/newz/amd-ryzen-7900-7700-7600-cpu-pricing-and-specifications-have-been-confirmed

https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/amd-ryzen-790077007600-cpu-pricing-and-specifications-leak.html

The prices seem decent on the cpus themselves. Too bad that the motherboards and pretty expensive, and well DDR5 also is more expensive than DDR4, not by much, but still is

QUOTE ME  FOR ANSWER.

Main PC:

Spoiler

|Ryzen 7 3700x, OC to 4.2ghz @1.3V, 67C, or 4.4ghz @1.456V, 87C || Asus strix 5700 XT, +50 core, +50 memory, +50 power (not a great overclocker) || Asus Strix b550-A || G.skill trident Z Neo rgb 32gb 3600mhz cl16-19-19-19-39, oc to 3733mhz with the same timings || Cooler Master ml360 RGB AIO || Phanteks P500A Digital || Thermaltake ToughPower grand RGB750w 80+gold || Samsung 850 250gb and Adata SX 6000 Lite 500gb || Toshiba 5400rpm 1tb || Asus Rog Theta 7.1 || Asus Rog claymore || Asus Gladius 2 origin gaming mouse || Monitor 1 Asus 1080p 144hz || Monitor 2 AOC 1080p 75hz || 

Test Rig.

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 3400G || Gigabyte b450 S2H || Hyper X fury 2x4gb 2666mhz cl 16 ||Stock cooler || Antec NX100 || Silverstone essential 400w || Transgend SSD 220s 480gb ||

Just Sold

Spoiler

| i3 9100F || Msi Gaming X gtx 1050 TI || MSI Z390 A-Pro || Kingston 1x16gb 2400mhz cl17 || Stock cooler || Kolink Horizon RGB || Corsair CV 550w || Pny CS900 120gb ||

Tier lists for building a PC.

Motherboard tier list. Tier A for overclocking 5950x. Tier B for overclocking 5900x, Tier C for overclocking 5800X. Tier D for overclocking 5600X. Tier F for 4/6 core Cpus at stock. Tier E avoid.

(Also case airflow matter or if you are using Downcraft air cooler)

Spoiler

Gpu tier list. Rtx 3000 and RX 6000 not included since not so many reviews. Tier S for Water cooling. Tier A and B for overcloking. Tier C stock and Tier D avoid.

( You can overclock Tier C just fine, but it can get very loud, that is why it is not recommended for overclocking, same with tier D)

Spoiler

Psu tier List. Tier A for Rtx 3000, Vega and RX 6000. Tier B For anything else. Tier C cheap/IGPU. Tier D and E avoid.

(RTX 3000/ RX 6000 Might run just fine with higher wattage tier B unit, Rtx 3070 runs fine with tier B units)

Spoiler

Cpu cooler tier list. Tier 1&2 for power hungry Cpus with Overclock. Tier 3&4 for overclocking Ryzen 3,5,7 or lower power Intel Cpus. Tier 5 for overclocking low end Cpus or 4/6 core Ryzen. Tier 6&7 for stock. Tier 8&9 Ryzen stock cooler performance. Do not waste your money!

Spoiler

Storage tier List. Tier A for Moving files/  OS. Tier B for OS/Games. Tier C for games. Tier D budget Pcs. Tier E if on sale not the worst but not good.

(With a grain of salt, I use tier C for OS myself)

Spoiler

Case Tier List. Work In Progress. Most Phanteks airflow series cases already done!

Ask me anything :)

9 minutes ago, SavageNeo said:

The prices seem decent on the cpus themselves. Too bad that the motherboards and pretty expensive, and well DDR5 also is more expensive than DDR4, not by much, but still is

Prices for motherboard have gotten ridiculous, like what justifies the board to cost that much. A couple of years back, you can get a pretty good board for around $150, high end was $200 and those with all the bells and whistlers for $300. Now the cheapest low end starts at $200 and high-end reaches all the way up to $1,000, wtf.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Yeah inflation is not always linear.

I paid $4000 for my first laptop....THAT WAS REAL MONEY THEN. 

Today, spending more than around $2000 is overkill, and of course the difference in function is off the charts different.

Anyway, what was a $300 graphics card is now $1000....but the years have passed, and inflation has done its slow and insidious work.

It just takes awhile for your brain to calibrate to the new normal.

9 minutes ago, mdk777 said:

I paid $4000 for my first laptop....THAT WAS REAL MONEY THEN. 

Today, spending more than around $2000 is overkill, and of course the difference in function is off the charts different.

Anyway, what was a $300 graphics card is now $1000....but the years have passed, and inflation has done its slow and insidious work.

It just takes awhile for your brain to calibrate to the new normal.

So $2,000 must be pocket change for you then?

Can't wait for the day a burrito at Chipotle to cost $100 because it' s the new normal.

/s

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

I've not kept up, any news on B chipsets for AM5? Guess that's what'll really help with system costs to move forward along with lower cost CPUs at each configuration.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

11 minutes ago, porina said:

I've not kept up, any news on B chipsets for AM5? Guess that's what'll really help with system costs to move forward along with lower cost CPUs at each configuration.

As far as I'm aware there are B series boards that start at $159.99-169.99, and you'll be hard pressed to find a board for less than about $150. As far as the promised $125 boards go, they remain to be seen. 

29 minutes ago, porina said:

What do you mean? Those have been out for a month. 
image.thumb.png.1ea7ad991a5001f06166199be2fb9e05.png
Im using a Asus Strix B650-A
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/Gjt9TW/asus-rog-strix-b650-a-gaming-wifi-atx-am5-motherboard-rog-strix-b650-a-gaming-wifi

It has intel networking. Got it 50 bucks off an microcenter.

38 minutes ago, starsmine said:

What do you mean? Those have been out for a month. 
image.thumb.png.1ea7ad991a5001f06166199be2fb9e05.png
Im using a Asus Strix B650-A
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/Gjt9TW/asus-rog-strix-b650-a-gaming-wifi-atx-am5-motherboard-rog-strix-b650-a-gaming-wifi

It has intel networking. Got it 50 bucks off an microcenter.

He means that he has not kept on top of motherboard pricing? Dont know why you still slamming the poor guys cause they have been out for 'a month'. That what 'not kept up with' means.

4 hours ago, mdk777 said:

Anyway, what was a $300 graphics card is now $1000..

i dunno Nvidia was always expensive... and had weird pricing...

https://www.legitreviews.com/the-829-geforce-8800-ultra-video-card-arrives_496

there was also a $999 card way back (which i don't remember the name of) and the successor was then much better and $649... (reminds me of the "super" cards lol)

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

5 hours ago, mdk777 said:

Price creep and inflation are two entirely different things. What we're seeing right now in computer hardware is mostly just price creep.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

4 hours ago, NumLock21 said:

So $2,000 must be pocket change for you then?

Can't wait for the day a burrito at Chipotle to cost $100 because it' s the new normal.

/s

Eat at McDonalds lately....breakfast is 10-12$

Not 2$

Buy a car lately...my mind says that 20K is plenty....good luck finding any at that price....30K is the min you will pay and 50K is normal.

House? My first house cost 50k, my second 160K.....today I live in a cardboard shack (some exaggeration, but shit construction ....1200 square feet That is valued at 650K)

FINAL THOUGHT 

Inflation is running at over 7%.

Rule of 72 means that in 10 years, the value of money will be half at that rate.....so 10 years and you are looking at $20 for your McDonalds' breakfast.

Not quite $100 , that is assuming we don't get really big inflation #   ....a distinct possibility with 50 TRILLION IN DEBT AND UNFUNDED MANDATES  

9 minutes ago, Stahlmann said:

Price creep and inflation are two entirely different things. What we're seeing right now in computer hardware is mostly just price creep.

No, you just believe what you have been conditioned to believe,...that you should get more for less every year with computer technology.

But every now and then something gets in the way....few years back it was memory fab shortage...other years it was HD shortages and high costs.

Price creep is just keeping up with inflation. ALL the MB makers are not acting as a cartel. If one could make them cheaper, you would see lower prices.

New standards for PCIE,

New cooling requirements for more complex chipsets and vrm.

multiplicity of connectors and new / multiple standards( how many flavors of USB can you fit on on MB?) 

All this stuff adds up over time.

You want to save money? Buy an AIO from Lenovo or apple.

They set a standard and make a couple million MB, they only use the parts they actually need and cut out all the fluff.

You want 16 phase power, NVME, and dozens of other standards that you may or may not ever use....build your own and know that the newest will cost more than it should.

8 minutes ago, mdk777 said:

No, you just believe what you have been conditioned to believe,...that you should get more for less every year with computer technology.

That's basically the only way we as consumers see progess. More performance for less money. If that doesn't improve, we reached stagnation and that's exactly what has happend with GPUs for example. New 40-series and 7000-series have around the same performance per dollar.

But every now and then something gets in the way....few years back it was memory fab shortage...other years it was HD shortages and high costs.

Except these problems have been fixed since and prices don't come back down. Prices are disproportionately higher than what they would be just because of inflation. That means it's price creep.

New standards for PCIE,

New cooling requirements for more complex chipsets and vrm.

multiplicity of connectors and new / multiple standards( how many flavors of USB can you fit on on MB?) 

All this stuff adds up over time.

That at least is a valid argument i can agree with. Good point.

First time i've seen "saving money" and "Apple" in the same post.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

7 hours ago, mdk777 said:

yeah, its this moores law thing, which people don't understand coming to an end, making chips smaller keeps getting more expensive and difficult and soon won't be possible with current fabrication tech at all anymore,  or do people really expect 0.02nm etc processes? 

And yet, Nvidia manages to not make GPUs anymore expensive,  god bless the jacket Jensen! /s

7 hours ago, mdk777 said:

They set a standard and make a couple million MB, they only use the parts they actually need and cut out all the fluff.

they do, but they don't put those savings forward to the customer,  prebuilts may cost about the same as DIY, but often come with cheaper parts indeed and build quality is often questionable (but not necessarily) 

But it was true during the gpu "shortage" prebuilts were often cheaper. 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

Solid additions though. But waiting X3D oof that will be exciting to see.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

17 hours ago, ouroesa said:

He means that he has not kept on top of motherboard pricing? Dont know why you still slamming the poor guys cause they have been out for 'a month'. That what 'not kept up with' means.

Im not slamming him. Why that weird hyperbolic tone? I'm literally asking him what news about b650 are they looking out for. 

9 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

they do, but they don't put those savings forward to the customer,  prebuilts may cost about the same as DIY, but often come with cheaper parts indeed and build quality is often questionable (but not necessarily) 

But it was true during the gpu "shortage" prebuilts were often cheaper. 

Not true.

A prebuilt is designed around a specific platform, and is always underpowered compared to what you could DIY.

Yet, what is aimed at the DIY market is kind of a joke compared to what you had back in 1998-2001. In '98 to 2001 you had the Pentium II/Pentium III era, and the ATX standard was new. That's when the Super I/O, IDE were starting to be standard on motherboards, and before sound and network started being integrated. This is back when Ethernet cards and Sound cards were separate $100 add-ins.

So complaining that a $200 motherboard sometimes doesn't exist, misses the fact that the base-line motherboards have integrated so much functionality that used to require up to 5 PCI/PCIe add-in cards at $100 each, but some of that onboard functionality is still terrible. For example, Realtek parts are "below baseline", and if you are buying a $200 MB that is what you're getting. Most 12-14" laptops also use these cheap parts. Are they "good enough?" Yes, if you're in an office and the performance of these parts aren't critical.

However a mid-line motherboard (eg below a gaming tier) will have the matching Intel Ethernet, and generally a higher end audio chip, and none of the bells and whistles, however it's been forever since there's been a worthwhile onboard audio chip to make a purchase decision over.

A gaming motherboard however tends to veer clear into bells and whistles that nobody actually needs or asked for. WiFi, BT, RGB, and metal/plastic shrouds over everything. Gimme back 4 PCIe x16 slots dammit, and put the M.2's for the SSD's and optional WiFI/BT somewhere else. Or hell just put them all on an x16 slot along with two USB-C ports. That would at least make it easier to access, since you would have to remove whatever is installed in the PCIe slots to reach them anyway.

On 12/20/2022 at 11:55 AM, Kisai said:

Not true.

A prebuilt is designed around a specific platform, and is always underpowered compared to what you could DIY.

Yet, what is aimed at the DIY market is kind of a joke compared to what you had back in 1998-2001. In '98 to 2001 you had the Pentium II/Pentium III era, and the ATX standard was new. That's when the Super I/O, IDE were starting to be standard on motherboards, and before sound and network started being integrated. This is back when Ethernet cards and Sound cards were separate $100 add-ins.

So complaining that a $200 motherboard sometimes doesn't exist, misses the fact that the base-line motherboards have integrated so much functionality that used to require up to 5 PCI/PCIe add-in cards at $100 each, but some of that onboard functionality is still terrible. For example, Realtek parts are "below baseline", and if you are buying a $200 MB that is what you're getting. Most 12-14" laptops also use these cheap parts. Are they "good enough?" Yes, if you're in an office and the performance of these parts aren't critical.

However a mid-line motherboard (eg below a gaming tier) will have the matching Intel Ethernet, and generally a higher end audio chip, and none of the bells and whistles, however it's been forever since there's been a worthwhile onboard audio chip to make a purchase decision over.

A gaming motherboard however tends to veer clear into bells and whistles that nobody actually needs or asked for. WiFi, BT, RGB, and metal/plastic shrouds over everything. Gimme back 4 PCIe x16 slots dammit, and put the M.2's for the SSD's and optional WiFI/BT somewhere else. Or hell just put them all on an x16 slot along with two USB-C ports. That would at least make it easier to access, since you would have to remove whatever is installed in the PCIe slots to reach them anyway.

Yeah, but some of this is locked by the CPU and the corresponding chipset.

It is not something that the MB OEM come up with themselves.

FYI, the days of needing more than one graphics card is long gone. Hence for 99% of people one PCIE slot is really all they will ever feed.

If you are going to fill 4 PCIE slots, you are really looking at server or workstation applications.

The 6 versions of USB is a mystery to me. Aren't the new standards backwards compatible ???

If I have 4 USB 3.1   do I really need 4 USB 2  ???

If we just want to complain....how about those insane fan connectors...those pin outs have sucked since day one.

2 minutes ago, mdk777 said:

FYI, the days of needing more than one graphics card is long gone. Hence for 99% of people one PCIE slot is really all they will ever feed.

As long as they are only using it to game, and not ML applications, Video transcoding, Streaming, Capturing Video, Multi-channel audio mixing, you know, the things you'd expect to be able to do with a computer, but can't because you can only do ONE of those with the current expansion options.

Remember when ATI All-in-Wonder cards were a thing? You know what would be fantastically useful? Being able to switch HDMI-out to HDMI-in and capture and encode videos from the same GPU.

If you are going to fill 4 PCIE slots, you are really looking at server or workstation applications.

Or someone who has to wear 6 different hats and doesn't want 6 computers that only differ by what's in the PCIe x16 slot

The 6 versions of USB is a mystery to me. Aren't the new standards backwards compatible ???

If I have 4 USB 3.1   do I really need 4 USB 2  ???

They are, and they aren't. You need 2 USB 1.1/2.0 ports for the Keyboard and Mouse, because the BIOS can't initialize USB 3.0/3.1/4/etc. Usually that's done by the OS unless you enable "Boot from USB" and then it spends a bunch of extra boot time scanning the USB ports for bootable drives. I know so, because I have up to 6 external drives, and that's responsible for the entire boot time. If I unplug the USB 3.x hub, it will reboot in a few seconds.

If we just want to complain....how about those insane fan connectors...those pin outs have sucked since day one.

The USB headers all universally suck. The fan headers also suck. Especially since RGB has turned it into a master cable management nightmare since the RGB goes here, and the PWM fans go somewhere else. In an ideal situation, there would simply be no USB ports on the motherboard other than the USB 2.0 ports for the Mouse+KB. You'd use the PCIe slots for the USB/Type-A/Type-C/TB ports so that you have exactly as many ports as you need. Or you know, standardize on "front panel" and "rear panel" daughter boards (Here's a suggestion, bring back the 5.25" ODD bay as a universal "front panel".)

It drives me a bit nuts that to get newer front panel ports I have throw the ENTIRE chassis out. Yet for some reason designers think front ports are ugly and have been removing them entirely.

6 minutes ago, Kisai said:

As long as they are only using it to game, and not ML applications, Video transcoding, Streaming, Capturing Video, Multi-channel audio mixing, you know, the things you'd expect to be able to do with a computer, but can't because you can only do ONE of those with the current expansion options.

How can you only do one? A single good GPU covers most of those and a USB interface for audio covers the other, all possible with basically any motherboard and CPU today (depending on actual workflow needs).

9 minutes ago, Kisai said:

They are, and they aren't. You need 2 USB 1.1/2.0 ports for the Keyboard and Mouse, because the BIOS can't initialize USB 3.0/3.1/4/etc.

Yes they can, mine work just fine in my USB 3.0 ports in BIOS.

1 hour ago, leadeater said:

How can you only do one? A single good GPU covers most of those and a USB interface for audio covers the other, all possible with basically any motherboard and CPU today (depending on actual workflow needs).

Listen, I'm telling you, for me to do "everything" I do for myself and clients, I can only do half of that on the desktop I have, and I would like to be able to do all of that on one computer instead of needing two or three computers running, or having to shutdown one ML application to start up another which has significant load time, only to then have to switch to something else that needs the CUDA cores.

1 hour ago, leadeater said:

Yes they can, mine work just fine in my USB 3.0 ports in BIOS.

I'm not going to get into this. There's been some bloody issue with everything USB at some point, from the Corsair keyboard's not working if Legacy is disabled, to hard drives not being found or the BIOS having to spin up every drive in USB 2.0 mode before it will boot. 

When you have a lot of USB stuff plugged in, the boot time gets exponentially longer before you even get the OS boot logo.

It's as if the manufacturers don't actually care if USB works as long as it boots.

image.thumb.png.eec76e8f4ec98d1830466dfce0e7e3e2.png

That is everything that is plugged in right now...

Notably missing: Davinci Speededitor, photo/film scanners, printer, and the leapmotion controller.

Now I know what you're gonna say "Unplug something"

Not the point. I want to do everything with the PC without having to screw around with unplugging things and reaching around the computer to find free ports every time I need to switch jobs.

What I sacrificed here was plugging 4-5 USB external drives into the same hub with the idea that I never use all these drives simultaneously. Individually they are all USB 3.0/3.1 drives, but since they are all mechanical drives, they shouldn't be able to saturate the bandwidth of the hub they're on. BUT, those cameras, require USB 3 ports to themselves.

10 hours ago, Kisai said:

Listen, I'm telling you, for me to do "everything" I do for myself and clients, I can only do half of that on the desktop I have, and I would like to be able to do all of that on one computer instead of needing two or three computers running, or having to shutdown one ML application to start up another which has significant load time, only to then have to switch to something else that needs the CUDA cores.

So you want to be able to do multiple of those at the same time? Right, that's a little different to how you worded it. Personally I wouldn't recommend trying to do multiple of those listed at the same time on the same computer regardless if it were a EPYC with 96 cores and 128 PCIe lanes. Some things just aren't a good idea to try and do at the same time, especially audio.

10 hours ago, Kisai said:

I'm not going to get into this. There's been some bloody issue with everything USB at some point, from the Corsair keyboard's not working if Legacy is disabled, to hard drives not being found or the BIOS having to spin up every drive in USB 2.0 mode before it will boot. 

When you have a lot of USB stuff plugged in, the boot time gets exponentially longer before you even get the OS boot logo.

This isn't what I replied to. You do not need USB 2.0 specific ports to use keyboard and mouse in BIOS and they will initialize and work just fine during boot in a newer modern USB port. There are some boards that do not even come with any USB 2.0 at all, or if they do are internal header pins only.