Frustrated with the gaming first approach to modern hobbyist computing.

Takumidesh

It seems that every topic about building and using computers is tainted with gaming performance. I like to play games don't get me wrong, but it seems that there is always a built in assumption that gaming is the only thing that matters when it comes to having a computer. GPU performance metrics and discussion that is only relevant to games, advice almost entirely focused around games, etc.
Maybe I am being a sourpuss, but the idea that desktop computers are being sequestered into 'advanced video game consoles' frustrates me.

If your question is answered, mark it so.  | It's probably just coil whine, and it is probably just fine |   LTT Movie Club!

Read the docs. If they don't exist, write them. | Professional Thread Derailer

Desktop: i7-8700K, RTX 2080, 16G 3200Mhz, EndeavourOS(host), win10 (VFIO), Fedora(VFIO)

Server: ryzen 9 5900x, GTX 970, 64G 3200Mhz, Unraid.

4 minutes ago, Takumidesh said:

It seems that every topic about building and using computers is tainted with gaming performance. I like to play games don't get me wrong, but it seems that there is always a built in assumption that gaming is the only thing that matters when it comes to having a computer. GPU performance metrics and discussion that is only relevant to games, advice almost entirely focused around games, etc.
Maybe I am being a sourpuss, but the idea that desktop computers are being sequestered into 'advanced video game consoles' frustrates me.

There are definitely many uses for computers, It just happens that most of the use cases are gaming so that is what most of the topics are going to be about. 

Have you tried turning it off and on again? Maybe Restart it? 

Please make sure to Mark the Solution as a Solution.

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I could be just about wrong as I am right.

Main RIG

13600K (Undervolted) +MSI Z690 Edge Wi-Fi+ Team Elite 32gb RAM (3200) +Noctua Nhd-15 Chromax Black+ Intel 670p 1TB SSD+ Intel Arc A770+ Corsair Crystal 465x case+ EVGA SuperNOVA 650W PSU.+ ASUS VP222 Gaming Monitor

Laptop for School: Surface go 2 (sucks ass)

Laptop for tinkering: Dell Inspirion 3358

Audio: Apple Airpods Pro (1st Gen)

(Apple_reigns_ supreme_ forever_ and_ ever)

(I am 15 years old and don't know shit about fucking shit.) 

Everyone must suffer one of two Pains: The pain of Discipline or the pain of regret and disappointment.

-Jim Rohn

3 minutes ago, Takumidesh said:

Well, it's primarily due to gaming being the main use for the enthusiast market.  Also, gaming machines can usually do everything else.  Outside of some very serious production machines, gaming machines are the sports cars of the world.  Production cars are the track monsters.  Much rarer.

But I think that when a user asks for help and specifies their use case (which people almost always ask about if not stated), then they get a tailored response here.

I agree with you but I look at it differently. 

"Do what makes the experience better" - in regards to PCs and Life itself.

Onyx AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d / MSI 6900xt Gaming X Trio / Gigabyte B650 AORUS Pro AX / G. Skill Flare X5 6000CL36 32GB / Samsung 980 1TB x3 / Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 850 / EK-AIO 360 Basic / Fractal Design North XL (black mesh) / AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz / Mackie CR5BT / Corsair Virtuoso SE / Cherry MX Board 3.0 / Logitech G502

7800X3D - PBO -30 all cores, 4.90GHz all core, 5.05GHz single core, 18286 C23 multi, 1779 C23 single

Emma : i9 9900K @5.1Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200CL16 - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB (RAID0) - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm - Fractal Design Define R6 - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi

Raven: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x3d - ASRock B550M Pro4 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3200Mhz - XFX Radeon RX6650XT - Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB - TP-Link AC600 USB Wifi - Gigabyte GP-P450B PSU -  Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L -  Samsung 27" 1080p

Plex : AMD Ryzen 5 5600 - Gigabyte B550M AORUS Elite AX - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2400Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - Crucial P3 Plus 500GB + WD Red NAS 4TBx2 - TP-Link AC1200 PCIe Wifi - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - ASUS Prime AP201 - Spectre 24" 1080p

Steam Deck 512GB OLED

OnePlus: 

OnePlus 11 5G - 16GB RAM, 256GB NAND, Eternal Green

OnePlus Buds Pro 2 - Eternal Green

Other Tech:

- 2021 Volvo S60 Recharge T8 Polestar Engineered - 415hp/495tq 2.0L 4cyl. turbocharged, supercharged and electrified.

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400MHz, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400 MHz, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

- Ubiquiti Amplifi HD mesh wifi

Just now, FI Fheonix said:

There are definitely many uses for computers, It just happens that most of the use cases are gaming so that is what most of the topics are going to be about. 

I guess I just don't see how 'most' of the use cases are gaming, that seems like one use case to me.

Maybe I am out of touch [insert simpson's  'the kids are wrong' meme]

If your question is answered, mark it so.  | It's probably just coil whine, and it is probably just fine |   LTT Movie Club!

Desktop: i7-8700K, RTX 2080, 16G 3200Mhz, EndeavourOS(host), win10 (VFIO), Fedora(VFIO)

I mean gaming and productivity (which you left out but commonly mentioned) are almost the two uses for a computer. Were you expecting it to fly or something?

For 90% of the stuff besides gaming people do with PC's, generally the most basic parts are good enough.

"Professional" workloads that benefit from high-performance components of course exist, but the number of people who have those needs are a small fraction of those who play games.

So reviews and discussion centers on gaming performance because everything else is either not worth talking about ("How well does this $1000 GPU do at checking email?") or would be talking to a niche of a niche. Nevertheless most professional reviews of new processors and GPU's do include benchmarks for things like rendering and media editing.

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

To be fair, most people in the custom PC market are gamers first, so the assumption is that if you're on here asking for help specing out a rig, you want something gaming focused. The people who do need something more production focused generally go for a pre-built workstation from someone like Puget, HP, Dell, etc. for a warranty and support rather than building it yourself. There are exceptions to that rule definitely, but for the most part you fall into one of those two camps. 

Most people who care about what goes into PCs are playing games on them, and most people look for the best perf/$, so thus the focus on gaming performance. If that isn't your passion in PCs, finding other niches is pretty easy. Puget Systems consistently publishes benchmarks with full focus on creative and workstation render tasks, Level1Techs is a great source for enterprise/server hardware, ServeTheHome for even more focus on home server stuff, etfc. Lots of great spaces without a focus on games. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

2 minutes ago, Dedayog said:

Well, it's primarily due to gaming being the main use for the enthusiast market.  Also, gaming machines can usually do everything else.  Outside of some very serious production machines, gaming machines are the sports cars of the world.  Production cars are the track monsters.  Much rarer.

But I think that when a user asks for help and specifies their use case (which people almost always ask about if not stated), then they get a tailored response here.

I agree with you but I look at it differently. 

Good points. and I see that often. I worry that the already fading idea of 'hobbiest computing' will be completely replaced with 'enthusiest' if that makes sense. instead of the computer being the tool/object that is being tinkered with it becomes a lego piece for the end goal of playing games.

19 minutes ago, Takumidesh said:

It seems that every topic about building and using computers is tainted with gaming performance.

If you are talking about this forum or youtube then yeah that's who the audience is.

16 minutes ago, Takumidesh said:

Well, you're also on a forum that's mostly target at... gaming. If you head over to lv1 techs, fast.ai forums or any other non-gaming focused forum you'll likely find what you're looking for.

Plenty of people buy high-end hardware for non-gaming usage, it's just so they usually know what they need and don't need to go around asking for help, or do so in other places.

FX6300 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 | Hyper 212x | 3x 8GB + 1x 4GB @ 1600MHz | Gigabyte 2060 Super | Corsair CX650M | LG 43UK6520PSA
ASUS X550LN | i5 4210u | 12GB
Lenovo N23 Yoga

I think its related to the community around,

Most on ltt community build their PCs for gaming. Thats reflected if you go into some other hardware communities, they arent as enthusiast but they will recommend totally different rigs for your needs.

For instance, if you go into a programming community they will probably focus on RAM which is mostly what its needed to run most heavy IDEs (I'm looking at you android studio). Probably things like graphics cards will be defined as: if show an image its enough.

If you go to the enterprise and server communities, like freenas, unraid, proxmox they will recommend endurance. The most focus is in compatibility and stability, so when you say you're running a Ryzen desktop machine they tell you to run away from that and buy a Xeon with a Intel NIC and thats more stable and compatible.

And im sure that other communities around tech will have different views of the hardware, its just that pc enthusiast on forums like here and gamers are almost together so when you build an enthusiast PC its assumed that you gonna build it for gaming. There are other kind of PC enthusiast, they just aren't here hahaha

"I dont know what i'm doing here. Do you?"

i dont get it are we sapos to talk about $20,000 quadro? the most people cant afford? and there are places on here you can talk about that stuff... plenty of other uses for pcs... ied argue that aaa games are losing people thow more people are gaming over all the casual players...  there also a growing build of pcs for work. i seen this for years now.

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

Maybe a slightly different way to look at it is that gaming has been a significant driving force in consumer hardware progress, at least for the gaming GPU era going back over 20 years. Early GPUs, or 3D video cards as they were known then, were primarily sold for the purpose of gaming. If it's an office machine you only needed a 2D video card. It is only over time that 3D video cards got more complexity and were usable for wider roles. Fixed graphics functions were generalised as math functions opening up more uses. Now we have smaller data type support, done in vast parallel quantity to enable the "AI" area.

With nvidia as a specific example, for most of their existence gaming category was the biggest earner. it was only relatively recently that datacenter products overtook gaming as the highest revenue segment.

Other areas outside the GPU may be less gaming centric. Maybe you could argue some display technologies were driven by gaming. Are there uses for variable refresh outside of gaming? Likely high refresh rates would not have become mainstream available if not for gaming.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

@TakumideshWhat do you use your computer for? And if you have multiple computers, what are they and how do you use each of them? I'd like to hear what your non-gaming use cases are. 

lumpy chunks

Expand to help Bunny reach world domination

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to
(")_(") help him on his way to world domination.

-Rakshit Jain

10 hours ago, Takumidesh said:

GPU performance metrics and discussion that is only relevant to games, advice almost entirely focused around games, etc.

because most people ask about games.

if someone asks "hey i'm guilding a computer for Blender/VFX/ML/CAD" then they will be provided with answers regarding that. 

do you have examples of the above where someone has jumped in and asked "well what about gaming?"

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

As noted, it's what community decides is main. What are you after? LMG does evaluate (mainly laptops) on productivity, but for them it means general office tasks. Are you looking for more sysadmin or engineering type of content? Or artistic/creative?

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

PCs for browsing the web or writing in word, probably the most common use, but it's not much point making videos about it because even weak PCs can do it. And if you do that, but do not game, it's most likely a laptop you are after.

When it comes to gaming Vs for example video editing or 3D modeling stuff and topics on this forum, the fact is that gaming on a PC is much more common than what those things are. Especially on this forum. I am guessing that the people that do video editing or 3d modeling for a living and don't game at all, are much less likely to even be on this forum, than those that do game.

Also, what a YouTube channel does drives what kind of people that use the forum liked to the Channel.

If you are more in to server stuff and PC for programming and data analysis or whatever else they do, Level 1 tech forum is probably the place you want to go, not here.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

8 hours ago, LloydLynx said:

@TakumideshWhat do you use your computer for? And if you have multiple computers, what are they and how do you use each of them? I'd like to hear what your non-gaming use cases are. 

I typically use my computer for a lot of things.
learning new skills, and trying out things like video/audio editing, 3d modiling, cad, and other skills (not claiming to be good, just hobby level). I administer my home server for media (movies and shows), file management (software like paperless), software development. I like to work with hobby electronics, like microcontrollers. research, writing, reading, media consumption, homework (when I was in school), life management (software like firefly, ghostfolio, monica, etc), home automation, automotive (romraider) and of course I do play games too.
I have like 5-6 computers of varying quality and power (desktops, laptops, raspberry pis, a server, and some other random things)

2 hours ago, LogicalDrm said:

As noted, it's what community decides is main. What are you after? LMG does evaluate (mainly laptops) on productivity, but for them it means general office tasks. Are you looking for more sysadmin or engineering type of content? Or artistic/creative?

100% that makes sense, and I didn't really mean to target any given community (or this one!) maybe it is just my perception, but it is also what I see a lot of people IRL seems to focus on. Maybe I am just being an old man, but the thing that drove my interest in computers was the freedom they provide to teach yourself skills and build (software or hardware) a machine that can do amazing things for you.

To everyone in the thread, I didn't expect this many replies! I hope it wasn't perceived as an attack on anyone's interests.

Gaming and video/3D rendering are the two most demanding tasks the vast majority of people will do on their PCs, hence why reviewers focus on gaming benchmarks and rendering benchmarks such as Blender tests.

There's really no reason to focus on other things in a review since a computer that can run AAA games well and deliver good rendering times will automatically also be able to do anything else you may need it to do as well.

Ryzen 1600x @4GHz

Asus GTX 1070 8GB @1900MHz

16 GB HyperX DDR4 @3000MHz

Asus Prime X370 Pro

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

Noctua NH-U14S

Seasonic M12II 620W

+ four different mechanical drives.

7 hours ago, Giganthrax said:

There's really no reason to focus on other things in a review since a computer that can run AAA games well and deliver good rendering times will automatically also be able to do anything else you may need it to do as well.

Nah, even the most powerful mainstream desktop will be shit for CFD due to the lack of memory bandwidth and lose to any entry level HEDT platform 😛

Jokes aside, yeah, if it can game well it can do other stuff as well, probably.

FX6300 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 | Hyper 212x | 3x 8GB + 1x 4GB @ 1600MHz | Gigabyte 2060 Super | Corsair CX650M | LG 43UK6520PSA
ASUS X550LN | i5 4210u | 12GB
Lenovo N23 Yoga

9 hours ago, Takumidesh said:

I typically use my computer for a lot of things.
learning new skills, and trying out things like video/audio editing, 3d modiling, cad, and other skills (not claiming to be good, just hobby level). I administer my home server for media (movies and shows), file management (software like paperless), software development. I like to work with hobby electronics, like microcontrollers. research, writing, reading, media consumption, homework (when I was in school), life management (software like firefly, ghostfolio, monica, etc), home automation, automotive (romraider) and of course I do play games too.
I have like 5-6 computers of varying quality and power (desktops, laptops, raspberry pis, a server, and some other random things)

At a hobbyist level you don’t really need a powerful computer for any of that. A M1 MacBook would handle it all. 

9 hours ago, Takumidesh said:

100% that makes sense, and I didn't really mean to target any given community (or this one!) maybe it is just my perception, but it is also what I see a lot of people IRL seems to focus on. Maybe I am just being an old man, but the thing that drove my interest in computers was the freedom they provide to teach yourself skills and build (software or hardware) a machine that can do amazing things for you.

To everyone in the thread, I didn't expect this many replies! I hope it wasn't perceived as an attack on anyone's interests.

The gaming market is huge therefore most discussions are about gaming PCs, if you go onto idk a photography/videography forum you’ll see more about the best computer for photoshop or Sony vegas would be, if you go over to AutoDesk or DS forums you’d get people talking about if a quadro is really worth it for Solidworks or inventor. LTT is mainly a gaming PC founded forum which is where the conversation goes as are most other places that talk about PCs currently. 

With the GPU playing a more useful role in workstation tasks like with Photoshop, the Topaz suite of photo enhancers, etc, it would be nice if there could be videos benchmarking the relative merits of GPUs for those sorts of tasks. As well, LTT could take a look at the large line of  'pro' video cards that AMD makes specifically for productivity and creativity applications.

LTT makes videos about servers so workstation videos shouldn't be too out there for them.

On 12/14/2022 at 1:45 PM, Takumidesh said:

Thb, the use cases for high-spec PCs are relatively rare. The vast majority of non-gaming (and even casual gaming) users will see little benefit from high end CPUs and GPUs in their day-to-day work. So long as they have enough RAM, decent-ish CPU + iGPU, and not total hot-garbage SSD, they’re set. 

This is a pretty far cry from 90s and early 00’s computing where going with a faster CPU would help with common applications of the time. 

Nowadays (quite frankly, for a long time, since 1st gen Core i), outside gaming, the only applications to be picky with components are fairly specialized use-cases, such as production, or a home-built server. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

I'm willing to bet that most people who are building a decently powerful computer are doing it with gaming in mind. Sure, there are productivity uses but that's likely not the majority.

The next computer I put together will largely be based off the gaming performance of its hardware. Nothing else I do on my computer requires a high end cpu or gpu.