Why does everyone hate the 4080?

Omga4000

Hi everyone,

I've been seeing everyone BASHING on the 4080, honestly, for not apparent reason.

The main argument is: The 3080's MSRP is 699$, the 4080 is 1199$. nVidia is a greedy company.

Now here's my (logical?) counter-argument:

1. The 4080 is better than even a 3090 Ti which was released at an MSRP of 1,999$. People were not as negative towards the 3090 Ti as they are over the 4080.
  2. The 4080 is much closer to the 3080 Ti in terms of CUDE Cores and VRAM, and then 3080 Ti was released at the exact MSRP of 1,199$ as the 4080.
    I assume the 4080 12GB was intended to be the "real" 4080, and the 4080 16GB the 4080 Ti? If nVidia would have simply called the 4080 16GB version a "4080 Ti" would people not be as pissed as they are?
  3. The current market is awful, allowing nVidia to basically do whatever they want. Reality check, "courtesy" of pcpartpicker:

1. Want a 3090? Pay 1,298$+ (only 1 card at that price). ~13-23% slower than the 4080 for ~8% more money.

2. Want a 3090 Ti? Pay 1,639$+ (only 1 card at that price). ~9-14% slower than the 4080 for 36% more money.

3. Want a 4090? Pay 2,079$+ (only 1 card at that price - the next one is 2,199$). ~5-25% faster than the 4080 for 73%-83% more money.

4. Or frantically refresh websites until (maybe) some website sells them at MSRP. Maybe.

And on a more personal note and a bit more details about my thought process here:

Yes - it's very justified for companies to spike their prices. nVidia isn't some charity organization intended to give back to the community. They are here to make money and please the investors first and foremost. If that means increasing the prices dramatically due to numerous reasons, such as: extremely high demand, shortage of chips in the industry, increased prices of the workforce, materials, development process and shipment, no competition, and purely because they can - they will do it.

Whether you (the user) like it or not makes 0 difference to them, since they have done their research (they have people smarter than many of us working on exactly that) and know it will sell either way due to the current market situation. They can only make X GPUs a year, knowing very well the vast majority of them will sell. Why sell them for 699$ a piece if it'll sell the exact same way for 1199$ a piece?

Is it ethical / good for consumers? Nope and nope.

Is it something that was done in the past? Only a million times by a million different companies. Tesla has been doing it for years.. Does that stop people from buying Teslas? Not really. They are still selling far more than they can produce. Only now people with less money can't afford it. Did you see Elon Musk crying about all those people who can't afford Teslas? Didn't think so.

Until nVidia produces more GPUs than they can sell, prices will continue rising. Until AMD/Intel doesn't produce anything worthwhile and competitive, prices will continue rising. Until scalpers will be dealt with, price will continue rising. This is a very very basic demand and supply issue.

This problem won't be fixed just because xxx_insert_username_here_xxx can't afford a product, or thinks a private company is doing "unethical" things. They have enough customers without them, they've done their research. It being sold out very quickly just proves it they were not wrong.

Thoughts? 🙂

Full disclosure:

OP had bought 2 RTX 4080's at MSRP for 2 different builds and doesn't understand all the fuss and hate around it.

This has to be an Nvidia sponsored post, right?

With that said, I do agree Nvidia can charge what they want. People just need to stop buying GPUs at stupid prices.

Leonidas Specs: Ryzen 7 5800X3D | AMD 6800 XT Midnight Black | MSI B550 Gaming Plus | Corsair Dominator CL16 3200 MHz  4x8 32GB | be quiet! Silent Base 802

Maximus Specs: Ryzen 7 3700x | AMD 6700 XT Power Color Fighter | Asrock B550M-Itx/AC | Corsair Vengeance CL 16 3200 MHz 2x8 16 GB | Fractal Ridge Case (HTPC)

2 minutes ago, GreatnessRD said:

This has to be an Nvidia sponsored post, right?

With that said, I do agree Nvidia can charge what they want. People just need to stop buying GPUs at stupid prices.

Do you have a valid argument or just conspiracy theories?

Because this was posted at another place and so far no one was able to give me a counter-counter-argument.

Just words like "people who buy it are clowns" and "this is a sponsor".

1 minute ago, Omga4000 said:

Do you have a valid argument other than conspiracy theories?

Nope. My post was more humor than anything. I did find your post interesting to say the least. I also stated I agreed with one part of the post.

Leonidas Specs: Ryzen 7 5800X3D | AMD 6800 XT Midnight Black | MSI B550 Gaming Plus | Corsair Dominator CL16 3200 MHz  4x8 32GB | be quiet! Silent Base 802

Maximus Specs: Ryzen 7 3700x | AMD 6700 XT Power Color Fighter | Asrock B550M-Itx/AC | Corsair Vengeance CL 16 3200 MHz 2x8 16 GB | Fractal Ridge Case (HTPC)

OP... Is this buyer's remorse and you're on a copium bend trying to justify the money you spent?

It's classed as a XX80. There's a huge performance gap between it and the current 4090.

That more than likely means a 4080 Ti is going to be slated right there, at an even higher MSRP than the previous 3080 Ti.

Your logic isn't sound.

1. Better than a previous card that was priced the same but classed higher? Great... Newer cards SHOULD be better than their predecessors. But it's still about price/performance and the 4080 is simply not a good value.
  2. CUDA cores are not a good metric. You're paper-racing things that are built on different architectures built on different processes. The numbers you should be paying attention to are 5 nm (TSMC 4N process) for the Ada Lovelace and 8 nm 10 nm (Samsung 8N process) for the Ampere. Great... the VRAM number is bigger for the 30 series... have you reached anywhere near that 4080's 16 GB VRAM amount yet?
  3. "allowing NVIDIA to basically do whatever they want" ... Dude... So because "market bad", it's acceptable for NVIDIA to do whatever they want???

24 minutes ago, Omga4000 said:

You've effectively answered your own question.

It's bad practice by NVIDIA. The people, their potential customers, are not here to take it. They are proclaiming their distaste, as is their right.

How is that confusing?

Edited by WILLYumAZN
Clarification.

i5-3570k and an R9 390 chugging along

1 minute ago, Omga4000 said:

I was fine with it, and likely to pick one up until the all stories of the new power connectors burning up started coming out. Right now it seems like one of those things, "where theres smoke, there's fire," literally right now.  So for the moment I'm sitting this one out. 

2 minutes ago, GreatnessRD said:

Nope. My post was more humor than anything. I did find your post interesting to say the least. I also stated I agreed with one part of the post.

I had LASIK surgery and still couldn't see that size 2. I think I need a refund.

6 minutes ago, Omga4000 said:

Because this was posted at another place and so far no one was able to give me a counter-counter-argument.

Just words like "people who buy it are clowns" and "this is a sponsor".

No one is going to be able to convince you otherwise, especially since you said you've bought two 4080's.

The 4080 is just simply overpriced for what it is, and what tier the card is in, its 71% more expensive than the 3080 which launched at $700.

Buyers remorse.

Main Rig:

Ryzen 5800x, ASUS Crosshair Hero VII Wi-Fi, 32gb of Corsair Vengence Pro SL 3600 CL18, MSI Ventus 2 OC RTX 3060 12gb, Corsair H115i Pro AIO cooler, Soundblaster AE-7, Beyerdynamic DT 990 Edition 600Ohm headphones, Creative Giga Speakers, 1tb ADATA SX8200 NVME SSD, 1tb Intel 665P NVME SSD, 500gb Samsung 850 EVO SATA SSD, 8tb WB Black SATA HDD, LG SATA Blue Ray Drive, Corsair CX850M PSU, Coolermaster Stryker case, ROG ARGB strips, China ARGB fans, China ARGB SSD heat sink. 🤣

HTPC:

Erying 11800 ES CPU/Mobo combo, 32GB of Corsair LPX 3200 CL16, Gigabyte 4060 8gb LP, Thermalright AXP90 full copper cooler, WD Black SN770 500gb NVME SSD, WD Black SN770 1tb NVME SSD, Crucial MX500 2tb SATA SSD, WD Blue 2tb SATA HDD, Pioneer Blu-Ray burner, Intel AX200 WiFi/Bluetooth, Seasonic 300w TFX PSU, Silverstone ML11 case. STILL NO RGB! 😭

Retro Gamer PC:

VIA C3 1000Mhz, VIA Epia PD-10000 LVDS, 1gb of Kingston DDR, PNY Geforce FX5500 128mb PCI, WD 80GB HDD, Random CD-ROM, Random 250w mini psu, Mini ITX case 🤣

4 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

No one is going to be able to convince you otherwise, especially since you said you've bought two 4080's.

The 4080 is just simply overpriced for what it is, and what tier the card is in, its 71% more expensive than the 3080 which launched at $700.

The MSRP for 4080 in the current market is actually not bad (as OP pointed out), but we all know in a few days all the "basic" models at MSRP will be sold out and won't be restocked for a long time and you can expect to pay $1500+ for 4080s and people wish they had gotten one at MSRP.

People can always dream about cards being available for less, but that's just not going to happen. 

20 minutes ago, WILLYumAZN said:

OP... Is this buyer's remorse and you're on a copium bend trying to justify the money you spent?

Why would that be the case? I can easily cancel my order, they haven't even shipped. Weird logic here.

It's classed as a XX80. There's a huge performance gap between it and the current 4090

By "huge" do you mean 5-25%? Because that's what I've been seeing.

Considering the fact the MSRP of the 4090 is ~33% - what's the problem with pricing the 4080 for 1,199?

Relative performance at 4K:

image.png.92cfe2b3cf62d0f663bbf50d563afaec.png

That more than likely means a 4080 Ti is going to be slated right there, at an even higher MSRP than the previous 3080 Ti.

Possible? let's assume it's somewhere in-between the 4080 and the 4090, so 1,399$?

It won't beat the 4090 otherwise it'll be called a 4090. So an increase of ~16% of the cost for... 15-20% increased performance?

Still priced correctly. if someone needs that performance, go for it.

Better than a previous card that was priced the same but classed higher? Great... as it SHOULD be.

Better than cards that were priced HIGHER. It beats the 3090 Ti which went for 1,599$.

CUDA cores are not a good metric. You're paper-racing things that are built on different architectures built on different processes. The numbers you should be paying attention to are 5 nm (TSMC 4N process) for the Ada Lovelace and 8 nm for the Ampere. Great... the VRAM number is bigger for the 30 series... have you reached anywhere near that 4080's 16 GB VRAM amount yet?

I'll give you that one.

it's acceptable for NVIDIA to do whatever they want

The main problem is people like me, who have been postponing their PC upgrade for 4 years are tired of waiting.

The market is bad, it is what it is. I haven't bought a GPU for 6 years and there's basically nothing better at this price point right now.

It's called a monopoly and nVidia is definitely using it for their own benefit.

I agree it's an ugly move made by nVidia (kinda), I agree it can be different (kinda), but the fact is very simple - it isn't.

This is the reality and it's not going to be any different. They are selling GPUs, both BestBuy and Newegg are completely sold out.

The price of the 30xx series hasn't dropped in price, and AMD / Intel just don't reach the performance of nVidia.

So what's a better option here? To sit and wait for another 4 years and keep my fingers crossed some magic fairy will fix the market?

I got screwed over when I waited with the 20xx series.

I got screwed over when I waited with the 30xx series.

I got screwed over when I waited with the 4090 specifically.

When will I play my games? When I'm 60?

11 minutes ago, OU812 said:

Buyers remorse.

Sure thing. Such a logical argument when one can cancel an order with one click.

Thank you for your valuable contribution to the thread.

18 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

Hmm.. It's not a matter of "convincing". It shouldn't be a point of view, I'm looking for numbers.

I could have bought 10 of them and return all 10 if I was given a good enough reason to do so.

Why are people fixated at the launch price? That MSRP is long gone.

The truth of the matter is that the 3080 10GB LHR is ~33% slower and costs ~33% less than the 4080.

The cheapest one right now is 813$.

So - how is the 4080 a bad purchase if it's on-par with the performance to cost ration of the mentioned 3080?

Was the expectation to obliterate the 3080 while keeping the same cost?

Because that I would understand.

NVIDIA already failed to sell me a card.  You don't need to buy anything from them, either.  So what's the problem?

27 minutes ago, Omga4000 said:

Hi everyone,

I've been seeing everyone BASHING on the 4080, honestly, for not apparent reason.

The main argument is: The 3080's MSRP is 699$, the 4080 is 1199$. nVidia is a greedy company.

Now here's my (logical?) counter-argument:

1. The 4080 is better than even a 3090 Ti which was released at an MSRP of 1,999$. People were not as negative towards the 3090 Ti as they are over the 4080.
  2. The 4080 is much closer to the 3080 Ti in terms of CUDE Cores and VRAM, and then 3080 Ti was released at the exact MSRP of 1,199$ as the 4080.
    I assume the 4080 12GB was intended to be the "real" 4080, and the 4080 16GB the 4080 Ti? If nVidia would have simply called the 4080 16GB version a "4080 Ti" would people not be as pissed as they are?
  3. The current market is awful, allowing nVidia to basically do whatever they want. Reality check, "courtesy" of pcpartpicker:

1. Want a 3090? Pay 1,298$+ (only 1 card at that price). ~13-23% slower than the 4080 for ~8% more money.

2. Want a 3090 Ti? Pay 1,639$+ (only 1 card at that price). ~9-14% slower than the 4080 for 36% more money.

3. Want a 4090? Pay 2,079$+ (only 1 card at that price - the next one is 2,199$). ~5-25% faster than the 4080 for 73%-83% more money.

4. Or frantically refresh websites until (maybe) some website sells them at MSRP. Maybe.

And on a more personal note and a bit more details about my thought process here:

Yes - it's very justified for companies to spike their prices. nVidia isn't some charity organization intended to give back to the community. They are here to make money and please the investors first and foremost. If that means increasing the prices dramatically due to numerous reasons, such as: extremely high demand, shortage of chips in the industry, increased prices of the workforce, materials, development process and shipment, no competition, and purely because they can - they will do it.

Whether you (the user) like it or not makes 0 difference to them, since they have done their research (they have people smarter than many of us working on exactly that) and know it will sell either way due to the current market situation. They can only make X GPUs a year, knowing very well the vast majority of them will sell. Why sell them for 699$ a piece if it'll sell the exact same way for 1199$ a piece?

Is it something that was done in the past? Only a million times by a million different companies. Tesla has been doing it for years.. Does that stop people from buying Teslas? Not really. They are still selling far more than they can produce. Only now people with less money can't afford it. Did you see Elon Musk crying about all those people who can't afford Teslas? Didn't think so.

Until nVidia produces more GPUs than they can sell, prices will continue rising. Until AMD/Intel doesn't produce anything worthwhile and competitive, prices will continue rising. Until scalpers will be dealt with, price will continue rising. This is a very very basic demand and supply issue.

This problem won't be fixed just because xxx_insert_username_here_xxx can't afford a product, or thinks a private company is doing "unethical" things. They have enough customers without them, they've done their research. It being sold out very quickly just proves it they were not wrong.

Thoughts? 🙂

Full disclosure:

OP had bought 2 RTX 4080's at MSRP for 2 different builds and doesn't understand all the fuss and hate around it.

counter Argument points : #1, People were VERY negative towards the 3090ti, It was a shitty price that was taking advantage of the shortages to upcharge an already expensive 1500$ to 2000$ for a slight OC and a much better Memory design. If you say otherwise you are just a fool and you simply have blinders on. 

#2: 3080ti Was again a pretty much cash grab for Nvidia with the shortages, going from 700$ gpu to 1200$ for around 7-10% increase is a pretty awful value and again pretty much every reviewer that actually cares about its viewers warned not to buy it. You dont support blatant price gouging by a company like that. Stop appeasing Nvidias Marketing tactics for the 4080 12gb vs 16 gb, you know its blatant misleading advertising. Its not even in the same class as an 80 tier gpu of the past, they tried this a few times and every time they get called out and try their best to sweep it under the rug.

#3. Current market now is fine, you can actually find much better pricing than what you stated, your cherry picked answers just go to show how awful you are at finding factual pricing and you try to make this shit up to make your point be better. You can easily buy 2nd hand 3090s for 700$, 3090tis for 850. You can buy "New" for around 900$ish although they sold most of that out and they arent getting anymore because they are trying to limit the discounts so not to take too much loses.

Businesses are by design for customers to buy things from, when they do shady practices and try pulling stunts like this off time and time again, they lose value. Its why Monopoly type businesse are almost always AWFUL, because they have 0 competition. 

Trying to justify your purchases based on what you want vs what you should have actually should have is quite different. This post is just pretty much screaming that you are insecure about yourself, and you feel the need to say that "Just stop complaining and buy it" Because in the end a 1200$ Gaming GPU is pretty fucking stupid to buy. Same thing for 1600$ its a Pretty stupid price to pay for just gaming, does that mean nobody will buy it because of that? No, people will spend money on that stuff because that is their main hobby and if they can justify it based on their needs and what they can afford, then its their choice. I always recommend against reckless spending habits because in general most people should not buy those cards, most people cant justify it in any way but they also dont want to feel left out and thats where marketing crap and most stuff targets people. 

All in all, the 4000 series are some of the best performing GPUS ever made, but they have bad pricing. You can try to justify it all you want for you, most people wont see that. Competition matters, AMD  really needs to get in that market of 200-800$ gpus with top tier performance, but with this race to see who can bloat the pricing of their top end GPUS more, its just gonna get worse as these Processing Nodes get more expensive and difficult, Not to mention any potential Conflicts, wars, disasters that may happen. 

17 minutes ago, heimdali said:

NVIDIA already failed to sell me a card.  You don't need to buy anything from them, either.  So what's the problem?

For those of us who are unfamiliar with you.. Huh?

14 minutes ago, Shimejii said:

how awful you are at finding factual pricing and you try to make this shit up to make your point be better

I was going to comment on all of your points, but then I saw this and stopped reading.

Yes, I am new to the US and I am "awful at finding.. and making up shit to make my point better". Thank you for making gross assumptions in a civilized argument and lowering the conversation. Won't lie, it was sad to read that. Even when you don't agree with things people say / think, there's a way to say it. There are human beings behind the screen and for all you know I could be 9 year old or a 70 year old struggling to understand something - never forget that.

That being said - please find me a better deal for an nVidia 3090 / 3090 Ti (or whatever is better than a 4080 at MSRP) so that I may cancel my 4080 purchase.

No second hands. I want (and need) it to be brand new, they are presents.

Appreciate it 🙂

41 minutes ago, OhioYJ said:

I was fine with it, and likely to pick one up until the all stories of the new power connectors burning up started coming out. Right now it seems like one of those things, "where theres smoke, there's fire," literally right now.  So for the moment I'm sitting this one out. 

Valid point. I had considered the fact and I believe the much lower consumption will probably be OK.

I do understand your concern though, it's indeed a possible deal-breaker and I'll continue digging on the issue.

GN had published a video about this, haven't gotten to watch it yet.

LMAO, why comparing it at 3090 Ti MSRP and not it's current market price? What stopping you from comparing it to a card like Titan RTX or Titan Z MSRP? 

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

2 minutes ago, xAcid9 said:

LMAO, why comparing it at 3090 Ti MSRP and not it's current market price? What stopping you from comparing it to a card like Titan RTX or Titan Z MSRP? 

Why are people comparing the 4080 to the 3080 MSRP and not current market price?

21 minutes ago, Omga4000 said:

can easily cancel my order, they haven't even shipped.

i would actually suggest just this.  aren't these things just overpriced fire hazards at this point anyway? 

i wouldn't want one in my pc at all tbh.

lastly, you constructed a pretty good OP, ngl, but you made one grave mistake,  saying its ok for something to be overpriced because the previous thing was also overpriced... because no, that does *not* make it ok.

the other thing is apparently you understand full well that the naming scheme is messed up, and that yes,  indeed if it it wasn't,  people would be less mad about it for sure.

i really suggest to return/cancel the card(s) and try finding a better deal, for a better card (and yes, its a bad card all around,  overdesigned,  overpriced, controverse naming scheme, etc) 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

Considering that it's 70% more expensive than the 2 year old predecessor, and only 50% faster, It's pretty shit.

Any new GPU that is worse value than the old ones is shit for me.

39 minutes ago, Alvin853 said:

The MSRP for 4080 in the current market is actually not bad (as OP pointed out), but we all know in a few days all the "basic" models at MSRP will be sold out and won't be restocked for a long time and you can expect to pay $1500+ for 4080s and people wish they had gotten one at MSRP.

People can always dream about cards being available for less, but that's just not going to happen. 

The current market isn't what it was 1 year ago. GPUs are mostly below their original MSRP, and in AMD case well below it, with the 6900XT going for as low as $650 while being pretty close to the 3090 gaming performance wise. The 4080, together with the 4090 are some of the worst value GPUs you can get currently only being slightly better than some of the cash grabs Nvidia launched during the GPU shortage.

1 hour ago, Omga4000 said:

It being sold out very quickly just proves it they were not wrong

I didn't look that much, but I have yet to see any shop where you would have a hard time getting one. I've seen claims that physical shops are full of 4080 with no interest from consumers, including a few photos/videos from Microcenter that show loads of GPUs(4080 specifically) with no one picking them.

3 minutes ago, KaitouX said:
1 hour ago, Omga4000 said:

I didn't look that much, but I have yet to see any shop where you would have a hard time getting one. I've seen claims that physical shops are full of 4080 with no interest from consumers, including a few photos/videos from Microcenter that show loads of GPUs with no one picking them.

I wonder if it’s because people who tend to frequent Micro Center are generally more knowledgeable as it seems to be more of a niche place than Best Buy despite it being all around better simply because there are few locations? and Amazon, Newegg, etc don’t require you to drive and facilitate impulse buys?

(I’ve never been to a micro center, although I wish I were closer to one- nearest is about 6 hours away- I’m not being self-aggrandizing)

Mostly because they're elitist snobs that demand the latest and greatest so that their games will run at 1000FPS @1000000MHz instead of only 999FPS @ 1000000Mhz.

Unless you're a hard-core PvP player, you're not going to know nor either.

And the only way that they know is that they have an application displaying information on the screen in front of them telling.

25 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

lastly, you constructed a pretty good OP, ngl, but you made one grave mistake,  saying its ok for something to be overpriced because the previous thing was also overpriced... because no, that does *not* make it ok.

I didn't think they were overpriced at the time, at least not at MSRP.

However, in my defense, I wasn't in the US when the 30xx series was launched and I have no idea what was going on here at the time.

Also - I never said it was OK. In fact, I strictly said it was unethical and a "douche" move by nVidia.

All I said was it's a company set out to make money first and foremost, so a spike in price isn't that big of 

25 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

i really suggest to return/cancel the card(s) and try finding a better deal, for a better card (and yes, its a bad card all around,  overdesigned,  overpriced, controverse naming scheme, etc) 

That's all I'm asking: what the hell do I buy instead?

Nothing else seems to fit when I look at perfomance:cost ratio.

A 3090? A 3090 Ti? Haven't found a good deal that actually makes the purchase worth-while, but then again as someone pointed out - I may simply suck at searching.

24 minutes ago, NF-A12x25 said:

copium

10 points to gryffindor.

21 minutes ago, NF-A12x25 said:

I wonder if it’s because people who tend to frequent Micro Center

Not everyone has that luxury, as you've pointed out. MicroCenter isn't everywhere, unfortunately.

Wish I had one nearby.

23 minutes ago, KaitouX said:

Considering that it's 70% more expensive than the 2 year old predecessor, and only 50% faster, It's pretty shit.

Again, I assume you're talking MSRP here.

MSRP means nothing to me at this point in time, does it?

I can understand the overall anger towards nVidia on that one, but I can't find that 3080 card for MSRP, so it's basically a moot argument.

I need a GPU now, not over the next years when AMD finally awakens and becomes an actual competitor and breaks nVIdia's monopoly.

What are other good options? 🙂

10 minutes ago, Thomas4 said:

Unless you're a hard-core PvP player, you're not going to know nor either.

Not sure what are you referring to here, but all she wants is to play Cyberpunk with RT on the big screen (4K).

I really don't think that's something an older GPU can handle very well, can it?

At least not according to the review I'm seeing.

5 minutes ago, Omga4000 said:

That's all I'm asking: what the hell do I buy instead?

Simply buy the card that fits your actual needs and possibilities best.  Do you spend $500000 on a car just because it has the best ratio of performance vs. cost?

2 hours ago, Omga4000 said:

Why would that be the case? I can easily cancel my order, they haven't even shipped. Weird logic here.

By "huge" do you mean 5-25%? Because that's what I've been seeing.

Considering the fact the MSRP of the 4090 is ~33% - what's the problem with pricing the 4080 for 1,199?

Relative performance at 4K:

image.png.92cfe2b3cf62d0f663bbf50d563afaec.png

Possible? let's assume it's somewhere in-between the 4080 and the 4090, so 1,399$?

It won't beat the 4090 otherwise it'll be called a 4090. So an increase of ~16% of the cost for... 15-20% increased performance?

Still priced correctly. if someone needs that performance, go for it.

Better than cards that were priced HIGHER. It beats the 3090 Ti which went for 1,599$.

I'll give you that one.

The main problem is people like me, who have been postponing their PC upgrade for 4 years are tired of waiting.

The market is bad, it is what it is. I haven't bought a GPU for 6 years and there's basically nothing better at this price point right now.

It's called a monopoly and nVidia is definitely using it for their own benefit.

I agree it's an ugly move made by nVidia (kinda), I agree it can be different (kinda), but the fact is very simple - it isn't.

This is the reality and it's not going to be any different. They are selling GPUs, both BestBuy and Newegg are completely sold out.

The price of the 30xx series hasn't dropped in price, and AMD / Intel just don't reach the performance of nVidia.

So what's a better option here? To sit and wait for another 4 years and keep my fingers crossed some magic fairy will fix the market?

I got screwed over when I waited with the 20xx series.

I got screwed over when I waited with the 30xx series.

I got screwed over when I waited with the 4090 specifically.

When will I play my games? When I'm 60?

Sure thing. Such a logical argument when one can cancel an order with one click.

Thank you for your valuable contribution to the thread.

Hmm.. It's not a matter of "convincing". It shouldn't be a point of view, I'm looking for numbers.

I could have bought 10 of them and return all 10 if I was given a good enough reason to do so.

Why are people fixated at the launch price? That MSRP is long gone.

The truth of the matter is that the 3080 10GB LHR is ~33% slower and costs ~33% less than the 4080.

The cheapest one right now is 813$.

So - how is the 4080 a bad purchase if it's on-par with the performance to cost ration of the mentioned 3080?

Was the expectation to obliterate the 3080 while keeping the same cost?

Because that I would understand.

Dude, I have never seen someone put so much effort into trying to defend their purchase when people tell them they messed up. Sounds to me your small brag for buying two 4080s didn't go as you would have liked. Its a GPU not a d***, stop taking it so hard.

Main Rig:

Ryzen 5800x, ASUS Crosshair Hero VII Wi-Fi, 32gb of Corsair Vengence Pro SL 3600 CL18, MSI Ventus 2 OC RTX 3060 12gb, Corsair H115i Pro AIO cooler, Soundblaster AE-7, Beyerdynamic DT 990 Edition 600Ohm headphones, Creative Giga Speakers, 1tb ADATA SX8200 NVME SSD, 1tb Intel 665P NVME SSD, 500gb Samsung 850 EVO SATA SSD, 8tb WB Black SATA HDD, LG SATA Blue Ray Drive, Corsair CX850M PSU, Coolermaster Stryker case, ROG ARGB strips, China ARGB fans, China ARGB SSD heat sink. 🤣

HTPC:

Erying 11800 ES CPU/Mobo combo, 32GB of Corsair LPX 3200 CL16, Gigabyte 4060 8gb LP, Thermalright AXP90 full copper cooler, WD Black SN770 500gb NVME SSD, WD Black SN770 1tb NVME SSD, Crucial MX500 2tb SATA SSD, WD Blue 2tb SATA HDD, Pioneer Blu-Ray burner, Intel AX200 WiFi/Bluetooth, Seasonic 300w TFX PSU, Silverstone ML11 case. STILL NO RGB! 😭

Retro Gamer PC:

VIA C3 1000Mhz, VIA Epia PD-10000 LVDS, 1gb of Kingston DDR, PNY Geforce FX5500 128mb PCI, WD 80GB HDD, Random CD-ROM, Random 250w mini psu, Mini ITX case 🤣