I no longer care about scalpers at all

Real_Smoky

Ahhh high schoolers going through their libertarian stage reminds me of my time in high school.... ya grow out of it 

On 10/22/2022 at 9:05 PM, Brooksie359 said:

It's called empathy and sympathy. If you don't have either of those then you are a sociopath. Also needs and wants are different things. Nobody needs to screw others over to make money it's just a shortcut some people take because they simply don't care about how they screw others over. I mean do you think pharmaceutical companies need to sell insulin at 10x the price in the US in the name of profit vs the price they sell it for in the rest of the world? Obviously not they just do so because it makes them more money and who cares about the thousands that die from lack of insulin because they can't afford to buy more. People do alot of really despicable things in the name of profit and to try and justify it as prioritizing ones needs over a random stranger is plain delusional as nobody needs to do such despicable acts. 

You also don't have to cater to needs of others.

4 minutes ago, Just that Mario said:

You also don't have to cater to needs of others.

Sounds like a very nice way of trying to justify being shitty to others. I'm sorry but I prefer to not totally disregard how my decision negatively effect others. 

8 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

Sounds like a very nice way of trying to justify being shitty to others. I'm sorry but I prefer to not totally disregard how my decision negatively effect others. 

Then sell all your belonging to me for a dollar. When you refuse I will be sincerely offended. See how ridiculous your POV is?

Just now, Just that Mario said:

Then sell all your belonging to me for a dollar. When you refuse, I will be sincerely offended. See how ridiculous your POV is?

Honestly I don't even know where to begin with this one. Your argument has basically 0 to do with what I have said so I am unsure where you came up with such an awful argument.

7 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

Honestly I don't even know where to begin with this one. Your argument has basically 0 to do with what I have said so I am unsure where you came up with such an awful argument.

It is literally your own ideology - don't do something that might offend someone, put others before yourself. As for original topic of flipping items for profit - there's nothing shitty about a human trying to make profits and earn some income. If you don't like the pricing or this behavior just don't buy from them. Why's it your issue to worry if someone will be able to afford it, what someone is selling their belongings for, etc. You're making an issue out of something that isn't an issue. An individual shouldn't cater to fulfill some random strangers needs when this given individual has his own problems to solve. Not to mention pricing of luxury items is such a non-issue in your argument context.

2 minutes ago, Just that Mario said:

It is literally your own ideology - don't do something that might offend someone, put others before yourself. As for original topic of flipping items for profit - there's nothing shitty about a human trying to make profits and earn some income. If you don't like the pricing or this behavior just don't buy from them. Why's it your issue to worry if someone will be able to afford it, what someone is selling their belongings for, etc. You're making an issue out of something that isn't an issue. An individual shouldn't cater to fulfill some random strangers needs when this given individual has his own problems to solve.

That is fair but not very empathetic to the human condition.

7950x-Aerolus x670 Elite Ax 64gb ddr5 5800 OC crap ram 2x 980 pro 2tb Zotac Tinity OC etc 3080 ti LG Ultragear 48gq900 138hz Gaming oled

1 minute ago, Just that Mario said:

It is literally your own ideology - don't do something that might offend someone, put others before yourself. As for original topic of flipping items for profit - there's nothing shitty about a human trying to make profits and earn some income. If you don't like the pricing or this behavior just don't buy from them. Why's it your issue to worry if someone will be able to afford it, what someone is selling their belongings for, etc. You're making an issue out of something that isn't an issue. An individual shouldn't cater to fulfill some random strangers needs when this given individual has his own problems to solve.

You have seem to missed the point entirely. My point is not to be so caught up into making profit that you don't care about how you effect others. Also scalpers are scummy and most people agree unless they themselves are scalpers. It would be one thing if it was an individual buying one gpu and flipping it but no its someone getting a bot to beat everyone else and buying up all the stock so nobody else can buy any from the retailers. I'm sorry but that is just being a shitty person. Also that is great when said products are necessity to you but if they are then then you will have to pay how ever much the scalpers wants as its a necessity. It's funny how scalping is illegal for essential good but people think that scalping non essential good is suddenly not a bad thing to do. 

6 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

My point is not to be so caught up into making profit that you don't care about how you effect others.

No matter what you do, you will somehow affect others, specially when you're doing business. Your entire argument is that businesses and businessmen should drop their only interest (making profits) because someone might not be able to afford the luxury item they are selling. That's just stupid. You cannot price your goods based on what someone may and may not be able to afford. Porsche won't lower their price on their 911 because someone cannot afford it. Person, who cannot afford to buy a Porsche 911 will go buy a car they can afford. YOU adjust to market and make purchasing decisions on what YOU can afford.

Yeah, bot sniping goods is shitty, but really why do you care? It's luxury items and if you cannot afford it, then what ever. Move on or just pay for it, if having newest GPU is a MUST for you.

2 hours ago, Just that Mario said:

It is literally your own ideology - don't do something that might offend someone, put others before yourself. As for original topic of flipping items for profit - there's nothing shitty about a human trying to make profits and earn some income. If you don't like the pricing or this behavior just don't buy from them. Why's it your issue to worry if someone will be able to afford it, what someone is selling their belongings for, etc. You're making an issue out of something that isn't an issue. An individual shouldn't cater to fulfill some random strangers needs when this given individual has his own problems to solve. Not to mention pricing of luxury items is such a non-issue in your argument context.

But there are certainly shitty ways of making profits.

2 hours ago, Just that Mario said:

Yeah, bot sniping goods is shitty, but really why do you care? It's luxury items and if you cannot afford it, then what ever. Move on or just pay for it, if having newest GPU is a MUST for you.

Would you still say this if this now applied to every one of your luxury items out there, with luxury taking it's meaning of anything that is not an essential or primary good? Would you be fine with your sports clothes, watches, nice furniture, granola bars, non-water drinks, phones etc. all being so expensive that they are practically out of reach for you? After all, since they are hardly essential and you just must have them, you should just adjust to the market and get some extra jobs to be able to afford them right?

Products like GPUs are already expensive luxury items. The scalpers thing is not about companies releasing expensive products, it's about random people making themselves the only option to buy from at a highly inflated price. They add nothing to the product or related services such as warranties, so their practise of buying as much stock of popular items as one can for no other reason than to create scarcity from proper resellers or otherwise drive prices such that they have to buy from you and fatten your bank account is generally considered a shitty thing to do.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

5 hours ago, Just that Mario said:

No matter what you do, you will somehow affect others, specially when you're doing business. Your entire argument is that businesses and businessmen should drop their only interest (making profits) because someone might not be able to afford the luxury item they are selling. That's just stupid. You cannot price your goods based on what someone may and may not be able to afford. Porsche won't lower their price on their 911 because someone cannot afford it. Person, who cannot afford to buy a Porsche 911 will go buy a car they can afford. YOU adjust to market and make purchasing decisions on what YOU can afford.

But that is where you are wrong. I could afford it and many other could but not at the inflated prices that the scalpers are selling them for. Well actually I could afford that too but it just isn't justifiable at that point for me to spend so much money when my current card works fine. So if they weren't botting then you would see gamers buy the gpus for the price the manufacturer intended them to pay. Also bad analogy as it would be more like a third party buying up all of the Porsche inventory and then jacking up the price because they can. Listen you can try and justify scalpers all you want but that won't change that what scalpers do is shitty and most people hate them. 

On 10/19/2022 at 6:05 PM, Real_Smoky said:

Unpopular opinion: 2-3 years into the big bad C and silicon shortage market conditions, I honestly don't care at all about scalpers.

That's how the free market works. GPUs are not essential like water or food, so everyone has the right to buy them for however much they want and sell them for however much the market can bear.

I don't even care about the "unfair" bots who buy cards because somebody has to have paid for the bots or developed them, so somebody did the work every one of us was free to do as well, we just didn't.

Hi!

I agree that GPU scalping doesn't have nearly as nefarious an impact on society as a man-made scarcity of other goods like, say, the whole world's supply of grain. If GPUs are getting scalped, then people have loads of options:

1. Pay the inflated price.
  2. Withold from purchasing and wait/look for alternatives.
  3. Continue to play the games they already have or lower quality settings.
  4. Invest the money somewhere else.
  5. Pick up a new hobby.

In the case of people that use GPUs for work, then they can make operational adjustments, attempt to secure a reliable source of GPUs or use the scalping bots themselves. No matter the case, failure to secure a GPU is less detrimental to us than failure to secure food, water, shelter, etc.

However, it seems your comments come from a place of indifference or apathy in this regard. Just because the "suffering" of those without a GPU is lesser in comparison to others, does not mean their grievances are meritless. I believe people complain more not because they cannot secure a GPU for a palatable price but because the circumstances behind the affair are immoral/amoral. People percieve it to be unjust because most have come to agree that everyone should have equal opportunity, which is a pillar of Western Democracy. In other words, regular customers feel slighted because certain walls have been suddenly erected between them and what they were led to believe could be theirs and the only way to overcome it is by dispensing more money they do not have. What I hear from people complaining about scalpers is, in a word, disenfranchisement. A mass of people coming to the sudden realization that the market they were led to believe was fair is rather an opportunistic one.

Of course it was annoying reading countless people doom-posting about not having GPUs and wanting to regulate/legislate against them. I may or may not agree with their ideas to "punish" gpu scalping in the same way other forms of scalping but they have reason to feel betrayed and a right to voice their grievances and on some level I agree with them. The market should be more fair and people should have more equal opportunity, but that's just not how it goes and it's upsetting. Would more legislation in this regard cause more good than harm? Maybe. Can a more fair economic system realistically resolve these grievances? I have no idea. What I do know is that GPU scalpers are just a symptom of our current technology market dynamics.

TL;DR: GPU scalping is not a big deal in the grand scheme of the lives of ordinary people. Most of us have bigger fish to fry but the complaints of those that are somehow affected are still valid and come from a place of percieved injustice. I think we should all put the whole "GPU scalping" conversation behind us and replace it with conversations that focus onsolving bigger, more important social problems.

Cheers! (ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧