Samsung phone battery issue, older models? hot, fire! (1.2)

Quackers101
29 minutes ago, RedRound2 said:

It's really not a clickbait and what he did present as his findings in the video are pretty remarkable. And other creators corroborated the same. Again, please watch the video. It is pretty damning evidence against solely Samsung devices

it could be overexaggerated and reviewer phones only, as a way to push reviews around new phones and their battery.

But kind of doubt that, more so when other 3rd parties in the comment section of the video and others might find the same issue to be true. So its very unsure how wide spread it is and how truely bad the situation can be.

15 hours ago, suicidalfranco said:

Don't need em, and I'm more than sure Samsung made a phone that was still dust and water resistant without glueing in the battery

FREAKING BASED, I always hated this trend of pursuing IPX rating which 99% of the cases is not necessary.

How often does someone actually drop their phone into water, or get drizzled on enough to cause any sort of damage that could deter functionality? Almost never.

Meanwhile because of that dumb race of slickness and resistance we lost the ability to replace a lot of components without tools, I freaking hate it and it makes me seethe even more nowadays with batteries randomly combusting or expanding.

I really hope that at least in the EU, a law goes through that there has to be some ease level when it comes to access certain components that have low shelf life and require replacement, for example unscrewing two screws to remove a cover to access and replace the battery, it is genuinely ridiculous how many steps backwards we made in this segment while virtue signaling about e-waste and shit.

3 minutes ago, strajk- said:

FREAKING BASED, I always hated this trend of pursuing IPX rating which 99% of the cases is not necessary.

How often does someone actually drop their phone into water, or get drizzled on enough to cause any sort of damage that could deter functionality? Almost never.

Meanwhile because of that dumb race of slickness and resistance we lost the ability to replace a lot of components without tools,

I do like to have sealed phones, so it becomes easier to wash or clean. When they go god knows where and being used so much.

It doesn't need to be fully slick, but that doesn't mean it can be locked together and "water proof" enough while being easy to repair/change components.

6 minutes ago, Quackers101 said:

I do like to have sealed phones, so it becomes easier to wash or clean. When they go god knows where and being used so much.

It doesn't need to be fully slick, but that doesn't mean it can be locked together and "water proof" enough while being easy to repair/change components.

It is perfectly fine to pursue some sort of resistance, making it iron tight where you literally have to heatgun and cut into the screen and or edges just to remove the backplate is absolutely ridiculous and is so consumer unfriendly and unnecessary that it should outright be outlawed to do so.

Pretty sure @LinusTech specifically complained about having battery life issues specifically with Samsung phones a couple years ago, perhaps their batteries aren't what they're cracked up to be. Lemme see if I can find a clip.

EDIT: He made an entire video:

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

8 hours ago, Quackers101 said:

In the age of old, you would just pop out the battery, can't have a short if there is no current flowing, take alcohol and a brush, alcohol evaporates quickly, and brush away all the gunk, once you feel like you're done, pop the battery back in, no heat gun, or water resistive adhesive to reapply required, and you're done. Ez pz, how something as easy as that is now considered bad cause old will always be beyond me.

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

I have not faced issue with Samsung, but had a Sony phone that buldged and cracked the screen. A Lenovo phone that buldged and screen came loose. Q thoshiba laptop that broke motherboard on two. But Samsung S8 and s21 workong fine. I think storing phone without using is the issue I think.

7 hours ago, rcmaehl said:

specifically complained about having battery life issues specifically with Samsung phones a couple years ago, perhaps their batteries aren't what they're cracked up to be. Lemme see if I can find a clip.

EDIT: He made an entire video

I guess it could be software + battery again, having sort of the same issue as mentioned in the video with an 2020 ish phone. Again another reason against android and what OEMs sometimes do.

15 minutes ago, jos said:

I have not faced issue with Samsung, but had a Sony phone that buldged and cracked the screen. A Lenovo phone that buldged and screen came loose. Q thoshiba laptop that broke motherboard on two. But Samsung S8 and s21 workong fine. I think storing phone without using is the issue I think.

yeah, not without others having their faults too. But kind of wonder if it would also matter between exynos vs snapdragon chip that is in the phone and software or hardware controllers like for the battery? Also with laptops, that is some big ones, still a lithium battery that can have the same issues. Most older laptops I have used and phones, just reduce battery life and dies, also able to know when it goes "sour" + by how much its used (although some had early battery to port issues for laptops on cheap models).

On 9/27/2022 at 6:26 PM, suicidalfranco said:

There was a simple solution to this but people decided it was an old way of doing things, and as seen many times in this forum: old = bad.

User replaceable batteries.

The (relatively) silent minority, of which I am a part of, would still very much love to have phones with removable batteries.

Unfortunately most manufacturers have taken the choice away from us.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

20 hours ago, Gamer Schnitzel said:

I wish the EU would force Apple and Samsung to stop releasing a new phone every year and instead release their flagships every 2 years. It would not only be great for the environment but also the consumers.

How would only releasing phones every 2 year help consumers and the environment?

Edit: And why did you mark my post as "funny"?

I get that it's an attempt at saying "you are so stupid I can't do anything but laugh at you", but I seriously don't understand why you think consumers and the environment would be better off by having fewer choices of phone models by having phone companies withhold some improvements for another year.

On 9/28/2022 at 11:38 PM, Quackers101 said:

it could be overexaggerated and reviewer phones only, as a way to push reviews around new phones and their battery.

But kind of doubt that, more so when other 3rd parties in the comment section of the video and others might find the same issue to be true. So its very unsure how wide spread it is and how truely bad the situation can be.

I would assume that at least some of those were bought off store shelves, so I cannot really see this being the case

But my old galaxy A50 starting displaying overheating errors. Day following those errors, it just stopped working. Now, when I plug the charger in, I shows the overheating symbol. But I found some videos here on youtube, that fixed it by figling around the USB/headphone jack daughterboard( using samsung a50 battery overheating as the keyword) No visual on flexing, but I have not opened mine up yet

Stick a phone in a charger and leave it there for absurd amounts of time, win stupid prizes.

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X | RAM - 64 GB DDR4 3200MHz | GPU - Nvidia GTX 1660 ti | MOBO -  MSI B550 Gaming Plus

27 minutes ago, PocketNerd said:

Stick a phone in a charger and leave it there for absurd amounts of time, win stupid prizes.

wut

anyways, the video didn't show up for me. but now it did from Marquess Brownlee's side.

Again mostly affecting more reviewers, and lesser rate for others, still not a great issue to have. sometimes recent to 2-3 to 5-7 year old phones around such an age range. Also mostly affecting only samsung phones they have from a decent collection, although still not too great of an sample size or knowing the full picture.

Edited by Quackers101

A bit late update, but at least to say that if you have a samsung phone. You need to check it more often, like every year or so, if it's a phone that is not as much used (or backup/work etc). Still wouldn't trust if its a known issue and less reliable, to not be stored "unsafely". Also very uncertain how phones in general (any brand) handles the heat for batteries to lifetime and reliability.

SamMobiles - We checked over 100 old Samsung phones and found no swollen batteries:

From Mrwhosetheboss, samsung put out a statement from his side?

My comments are all speculation,

This may have something to do with less people buying the most recent Samsung flagships. I'm considering the number of people like me who are still using older S9-S20 line phones with zero issues and see no reason to "upgrade" until their phone doesn't do what they need it to do.

So the boogieman shows up with 'if you have an old phone it'll explode, go upgrade before your house burns down' instead of "stop fast charging your old batteries" and "stop using unrated high speed chargers on phones which don't have the latest battery communication boards" or most importantly, 'don't leave a lithium battery on a shelf for years to degrade the electrolyte'(this is very well documented in any electronics textbook on battery chemistry)

I have slow charged an S9 since llaunch nightly and the battery still lasts a full day of browsing, playing videos and music. It's been factory wiped twice to keep the OS junk free and it still plays every game I can find on the appstore. Telling people to keep a closer eye on their battery to prevent bulging is great but battery life maintenance habits are probably more effective at preventing the problem.

After watching the video it quickly passed over battery protections, with 1 single sentence and moved right onto "be afraid of your old phone!" reaffirming my suspicions that this is clickbait instead of an actual studied occurrence, vague percentages meant to reinforce a narrative rather than actual numbers and evidence.

Then there's the convenience of noone talked about this before now but have had multiple Samsung phone batteries swell and only Samsung batteries? It's too easy for any other channel to bring it up and yet, nothing. No other previous videos from the same creators who jumped on the note7 issue came up with the conclusion that only Samsung batteries were ballooning in their collections.... sus.

The best gaming PC is the PC you like to game on, how you like to game on it

rant

Spoiler
1 hour ago, GhostRoadieBL said:

So the boogieman shows up with 'if you have an old phone it'll explode, go upgrade before your house burns down' instead of "stop fast charging your old batteries" and "stop using unrated high speed chargers on phones which don't have the latest battery communication boards" or most importantly, 'don't leave a lithium battery on a shelf for years to degrade the electrolyte'(this is very well documented in any electronics textbook on battery chemistry)

I have slow charged an S9 since llaunch nightly and the battery still lasts a full day of browsing, playing videos and music. It's been factory wiped twice to keep the OS junk free and it still plays every game I can find on the appstore. Telling people to keep a closer eye on their battery to prevent bulging is great but battery life maintenance habits are probably more effective at preventing the problem.

has to depend on how it all is, and I guess again temps can matter a lot. but got nothing to compare to and then a lot of factors that needs to be considered.

Else this doesn't matter as much, my own small experience with no matter how careful you are, a little can help, else it doesn't quite matter. Also doesn't help that some battery checks are locked behind needing an account. with my samsung it has a lot more drainage than older phones I have owned + while its in sleep mode and can be unrelated.

1 hour ago, GhostRoadieBL said:

After watching the video it quickly passed over battery protections, with 1 single sentence and moved right onto "be afraid of your old phone!" reaffirming my suspicions that this is clickbait instead of an actual studied occurrence, vague percentages meant to reinforce a narrative rather than actual numbers and evidence.

Then there's the convenience of noone talked about this before now but have had multiple Samsung phone batteries swell and only Samsung batteries? It's too easy for any other channel to bring it up and yet, nothing. No other previous videos from the same creators who jumped on the note7 issue came up with the conclusion that only Samsung batteries were ballooning in their collections.... sus.

well a lot of the strong images and agenda he used etc, to grab attention like most of these youtubers and I guess with "half-truths". As he didn't quite specifiy, but did show others from those who can have a problem with it... but might not have outright said so or clarified that. while its unsure how bad this issue would be for everyone else, its still something present. As some of them also said that samsung wasn't quite the only one, but the worst offender in their collection (or what it sounded like).
To what was shown, that others collection of other phones seem to be in "better-ish" health, maybe. Due to how note 7 was an issue, its better to be aware if this could become a thing again, of course this doesn't seem as bad or as "explosive". But still something that could be dangerous and not something we should accept, which goes for other brands and the batteries they use too..

but I have long felt that there should be stronger rules for some of these lithium batteries sold, more so if they are volatile and its use cases and how reliable their products are. as there has been house fires with other electronics using these batteries and more so such dense ones.

Edited by Quackers101

On 9/28/2022 at 5:25 AM, Quackers101 said:

Do wonder if this can also be related to produced content or samsung software. But it seems like it might be the samsung batteries that is the issue, and we can see more batteries like that if they try to push the limit in "higher capacity" lithium batteries and is more unstable.

I expect the cells themselves might have no issue but rather very aggressive packing of the batteries (without any room to expand or things that dig into them when they do expand) and very aggressive fast charging. 

many phone makers consider higher battery capacity and fast charging to be key features but if you do not alter the rest of your phones design then you very easily end up putting a lot of extra stress on the battery charger it faster and if you tightly pack it in trying to get every last bit ov volume then there is no-were it can go when it expands meaning it will push out and possibly pull into somthign that is not nice and flat.

Given statistics, this isn't all that surprising. Compared to other phone makers, the volume and prevalence of Samsung makes this seem a lot worse.

That doesn't negate that it's not something in Samsung's process, whether hardware, software, or batch-related, but as most reviewers have pointed out, this happens with every manufacturer and is likely less reported across the board given hardware upgrade times and other things. MWTB having all these Samsung phones suddenly present with this after getting that new storage setup is a bit weird, but we'll have to see what comes of any investigation.

i meanly just wonder since it was mostly just reported from people who review them and then just put them on a shelf or leave them for long times if its just the inactivity of the electrolytes is causing the decay, i have a S7 since basically they came out and have had no issues

RAM 32 GB of Corsair DDR4 3200Mhz            MOTHERBOARD ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero
CPU Ryzen 9 5950X             GPU dual r9 290's        COOLING custom water loop using EKWB blocks
STORAGE samsung 970 EVo plus 2Tb Nvme, Samsung 850 EVO 512GB, WD Red 1TB,  Seagate 4 TB and Seagate Exos X18 18TB

Psu Corsair AX1200i
MICROPHONE RODE NT1-A          HEADPHONES Massdrop & Sennheiser HD6xx
MIXER inkel mx-1100   peripherals Corsair k-95 (the og 18G keys one)  and a Corsair scimitar

I see a lot that refernce a period of when apple had issues with their phone battery, but might have been a while since.

but then talks about software bugs/issues to battery impact, so I wonder how wide and different the topic of battery performance, heat and more impacts your device overall. Some have high enough temps on their device, with high or low load, while others with the same phone don't. (not really related to samsung but all "modern" phones). biggest could be again heat management, and just in a different climate it could have some impact or by having on a phone case.

(noticed some phones get a bit too hot with phone cases on)

A thread around batteries.

another person's collection (as in collected phones, maybe not used).

https://mobilesyrup.com/2022/09/30/my-older-samsung-smartphones-batteries-are-swelling/

Edited by Quackers101

Hi, I had a Samsung M30s phone, but my mother needed a phone so I got myself a Xiomi and gave my Samsung to my mom. After I watched the video, I checked her phone to see if it was swollen like those in the video. I couldn't see anything, So I brought out my caliper to measure it for sure. 

After measuring it and checking the specs of the phone, thickness went up from 8.9mm (as shown at tech specs), to 9.8mm. Should I get worried? Phone is out of warranty so probably going to have to pay to get it serviced.

Could it be just a malformation because of normal use?
Or, Should I just get a new phone? 
What to do? I am so in between right now.

On 9/29/2022 at 9:55 AM, Gamer Schnitzel said:

I wish the EU would force Apple and Samsung to stop releasing a new phone every year and instead release their flagships every 2 years. It would not only be great for the environment but also the consumers.

... wat

2 hours ago, Goodmane said:

After I watched the video, I checked her phone to see if it was swollen like those in the video. I couldn't see anything, So I brought out my caliper to measure it for sure. 

After measuring it and checking the specs of the phone, thickness went up from 8.9mm (as shown at tech specs), to 9.8mm. Should I get worried? Phone is out of warranty so probably going to have to pay to get it serviced.

Could it be just a malformation because of normal use?
Or, Should I just get a new phone? 
What to do? I am so in between right now.

1. there is no problem if there is no problem you see. (at least would think so for now).

2. You will see if you got a problem or not, like a buldge on the mid-ish area of your phone or edge seperation top or bottom (front or backside).

3. if phone is not destroyed and we don't fully know the issue, then just get it to phone shop repair for change of battery, unless phone got damaged by bending which means new parts for it. But it's also unsure how much it helps with a new battery and if it matters what type, if the same will happen over time again or not.

Also if it has expanded to a bad level, just be careful around it, and find out if you want to do as above.