How do you know if someone is intelligent.

Wictorian

I'm not reading much else in this thread bc the topic gets pretentious as fuck REALLY fast and I just don't wanna risk having to see potential reddit fedora tipping (no offense to anyone). 

I can tell you one way to tell if someone *isn't* intelligent tho - and that's if their main quantification for it is their grades in school. 

I will not elaborate. 

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

^ A corollary to this is if someone insists on telling you their degrees as their identifier of intelligence.  For example, if you are having a discussion on oil drilling, the idiot is someone who shouts about having engineering degrees or whatnot.  A real engineer--or someone who actually works in/on/around drilling platforms for a living, won't lead with that data.  And usually the intelligent person's qualifications only come up when some Karen goads them into revealing it.

It's also quite hilarious to watch when that happens.

11 minutes ago, IPD said:

^ A corollary to this is if someone insists on telling you their degrees as their identifier of intelligence.  For example, if you are having a discussion on oil drilling, the idiot is someone who shouts about having engineering degrees or whatnot.  A real engineer--or someone who actually works in/on/around drilling platforms for a living, won't lead with that data.  And usually the intelligent person's qualifications only come up when some Karen goads them into revealing it.

It's also quite hilarious to watch when that happens.

or the opposite happens;  "I have a degree in mathematics, therefore your completely unrelated opinion on social constructs is wrong".  This is pretty much proof that even a moron can obtain a degree in something.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

True.  I guess the gist is that the merits of the position and the factual data to underpin it--should be the focus of discussion.  When it devolves to "qualifications"--things are going sideways.

On 10/7/2022 at 6:44 PM, Sauron said:

Considering productivity, technology and research have never been higher in the history of the world I'd say that's empirically not true.

And most of that comes from people that aren't in their teens or early 20s.

The internet has changed a lot compared to 10-15 years ago, kids were exposed to different stimuli and learned to use the internet differently. You can't directly compare your experience like this.

Yes I can. Internet has evolved and better information resources have emerged and that information has been improved significantly. Not capable of using that resource shows that you lack in intelligence. By your logic if a book gets new covers it suddenly is a completely different book and when younger generation fails to use that book to solve same issue previous generations did, it doesn't show that younger generations are less intelligent. You must be joking if you believe that.

You really think people who literally have a younger and less developed brain might have fewer cognifive capabilities than an adult? Incredible...

Teens and people in early 20s, not 5 year olds.

On 10/6/2022 at 7:56 AM, Wictorian said:

Dude you can’t compare kids to adults. 

Who said I am comparing 5 year olds to 20 year olds? Thought your reply is ironic and fits the threat title perfectly.

13 hours ago, Just that Mario said:

And most of that comes from people that aren't in their teens or early 20s.

Yeah no shit, people in their teens are usually busy getting an education. Workers in their 20s however are straight up more productive than they ever were; a single worker is now able to do more than at any point in human history.

Teens and people in early 20s, not 5 year olds.

you said "kids and teens", you're moving the goalpost. 15 year olds or even 17 year olds in some respects are not fully developed adults, there's no need to bring in 5 year olds for the point to stand. Nobody mentioned 5 year olds except you.

Internet has evolved and better information resources have emerged and that information has been improved significantly.

This is not true. With the way the internet has been hyper commercialized and flooded with misinformation it's now harder to find good sources for certain topics.

By your logic if a book gets new covers it suddenly is a completely different book

No. If the book has been turned into a movie in a shoddy adaptation with midroll advertisements the experience is quite different.

when younger generation fails to use that book to solve same issue previous generations did, it doesn't show that younger generations are less intelligent.

Lmao, as though previous generations "solved" any of the issues that are plaguing the current ones. I clearly remember kids being unable to do good research 15 years ago just as much as they are now; the only difference is that now they also use the internet recreationally much more than they used to, leading to brain misfires like yours where you just assume that because they're not using the internet the same way as you did in a completely different landscape means they're less intelligent.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

2 hours ago, Sauron said:

This is not true. With the way the internet has been hyper commercialized and flooded with misinformation it's now harder to find good sources for certain topics.

I have to agree with this,  good information is much harder to find n the net now,  especially with so many organisations all wanting history to be different.

My goto case is the mcdonald's coffee case.  You wave to spend a lot of time searching on the net to find honest reports of that case,  most of the time all you will find is defense lawyers capitalizing on it's fame to promote their services.  They do not tell you the true findings of the court or explain why mcdonalds lost,  they just spread the idea that you can beat a big company if you want to sue them.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

2 hours ago, Sauron said:

Perhaps only if you spend too much time on tinfoil hat forums and sub-reddits, but you do you.

Yep.  All it takes is something simple like trying to read up on the effects of an anti-malarial medication against the CCPV--and you're already in the wild west.

It gets far worse when you try to get accurate information about something pressing and current that flies in the face of what the corporate media wants you to think.

40 minutes ago, Just that Mario said:

Perhaps only if you spend too much time on tinfoil hat forums and sub-reddits, but you do you.

For someone boasting about their internet proficiency you have a really poor understanding of what the modern internet is like.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

48 minutes ago, IPD said:

Yep.  All it takes is something simple like trying to read up on the effects of an anti-malarial medication against the CCPV--and you're already in the wild west.

It gets far worse when you try to get accurate information about something pressing and current that flies in the face of what the corporate media wants you to think.

And that's before you consider there is a wall of censoring social media and search engine companies in between the average person and the bulk of the internet.   Majority of the average people get all their news from their facebook and twitter feeds.  No points for guessing how often that information is filtered or generated from fake accounts.

That's why no good research should start with Google.  I currently use duckduckgo, but that may well change.

20 hours ago, IPD said:

That's why no good research should start with Google.  I currently use duckduckgo, but that may well change.

Use bing. Especially for tech related things.