Suggestion for Screwdriver 2.0

Haemi

Hi.

A small suggestion for the next iteration of the screwdriver. By alternating the position of the top and bottom holders, you could put even some bits with normal size in and still be able to fit 12 bits.

screwdriver.jpg.65b5bb2ec8434f821b9a77f01750e37d.jpg

Was this considered at some point?

This seems like an obvious solution to a bit of a stupid problem. Wish they had done this instead then I might've considered this over the megapro driver.

Unless I interpreted it wrong, you can have normal size bits with the only caveat of having fewer -

Nice optimization of that space! There is probably a good reason why they haven't done that, but it's a good idea.

One problem with removing margins and packing things tightly is that you're introducing more room for error. Most multibit screwdriver holders aren't built well enough and will break or let the bits fall out. Any change that might do that here would need to be tested hard.

8 hours ago, Luminair said:

Nice optimization of that space! There is probably a good reason why they haven't done that, but it's a good idea.

One problem with removing margins and packing things tightly is that you're introducing more room for error. Most multibit screwdriver holders aren't built well enough and will break or let the bits fall out. Any change that might do that here would need to be tested hard.

From what I’ve seen from LTT and reviewers is that bits tend to slide around vertically in the bit holder especially when opening and closing the mechanism hard. It’s why there’s the ninja star in the bit holder (the black piece of plastic between the two layers of bit retention clips). It’s designed to not allow the short bits to shift vertically if the opposite bit is missing.

With this 2.0 mock-up there’s no way to stop bits from shifting vertically. There’s a possibility that you open it one day and all the bits aren’t clipped in and fall out. The whole reason why there’s a bit holder was because Linus didn’t like loose bit.

38 minutes ago, DeltaBruggemann said:

From what I’ve seen from LTT and reviewers is that bits tend to slide around vertically in the bit holder especially when opening and closing the mechanism hard. It’s why there’s the ninja star in the bit holder (the black piece of plastic between the two layers of bit retention clips). It’s designed to not allow the short bits to shift vertically if the opposite bit is missing.

With this 2.0 mock-up there’s no way to stop bits from shifting vertically. There’s a possibility that you open it one day and all the bits aren’t clipped in and fall out. The whole reason why there’s a bit holder was because Linus didn’t like loose bit.

Thats true. But it is not a problem, that can't be fixed.

1. Put two ninjastars in the center. One is fixed and the other one can be rotated. This way you could use one side for short bits and the other one for long ones.

2. Make one bit holder side rotatable. When aligning the top and bottom holder, the bits will stop each other from falling out. And when you rotate them by 30° you can put long bits in.

Maybe it was considered at some point in developement. And it's really cool that they showed some parts of the developement process of the screwdriver. But i think the 30min video is not enough to show everything. I really would love to see a whole documentation of 1-2 hours about it.

To jump on this thread, tested torques were mentioned in the video but it would hard to achieve those. A hex bolster like in the pic could be a good addition for the more automotive style uses. I haven't seen this on ratcheting screwdrivers before though, and I assume for good reason.

Spectris-Tool-Screwdrivers-banner.jpg

9 hours ago, Haemi said:

Thats true. But it is not a problem, that can't be fixed.

1. Put two ninjastars in the center. One is fixed and the other one can be rotated. This way you could use one side for short bits and the other one for long ones.

2. Make one bit holder side rotatable. When aligning the top and bottom holder, the bits will stop each other from falling out. And when you rotate them by 30° you can put long bits in.

Maybe it was considered at some point in developement. And it's really cool that they showed some parts of the developement process of the screwdriver. But i think the 30min video is not enough to show everything. I really would love to see a whole documentation of 1-2 hours about it.

I'm sure given how much development went into the screwdriver this was considered at some point. But I complete agree, am even longer, more in-depth video would be fascinating. Hopefully the views and watch time are enough on the 30min vid that they'd consider making it.  

9 hours ago, NastyFlytrap said:

The robertson bit should have been in the F U set, not the standard.

I get that linus loves those bits and screws, but it only exists in canada and i'd have rather had another torx or metric hex bit.

I agree. I wish torx was included. That is very popular in the US these days. 

I get that linus loves those bits and screws, but it only exists in canada and i'd have rather had another torx or metric hex bit.

Robertson screws are quite common, which given that the people who made a lot of the choices about the screwdriver live somewhere it's commonplace having it be part of the standard makes sense.

it only exists in canada

This is not true, most American multi-bit screwdrivers include SQ1 and SQ2 because the screws ARE used in some places in the US, and those two bits provide coverage for 99% of the square head screws people will find.

I think one of the flat heads could have been replaced by a torx, but choosing which torx is difficult. The problem with torx is that there are so many different sizes being used, you'll probably need a whole torx set anyway.

19 hours ago, Luminair said:

This is not true, most American multi-bit screwdrivers include SQ1 and SQ2 because the screws ARE used in some places in the US, and those two bits provide coverage for 99% of the square head screws people will find.

I think one of the flat heads could have been replaced by a torx, but choosing which torx is difficult. The problem with torx is that there are so many different sizes being used, you'll probably need a whole torx set anyway.

Arguably the biggest miss with the bits is not including a Pozidriv bit.

Maybe they should have had a North American bit set, and an international bit set

Laptop:

Spoiler

HP OMEN 15 - Intel Core i7 9750H, 16GB DDR4, 512GB NVMe SSD, Nvidia RTX 2060, 15.6" 1080p 144Hz IPS display

PC:

Spoiler

Vacancy - Looking for applicants, please send CV

Mac:

Spoiler

2009 Mac Pro 8 Core - 2 x Xeon E5520, 16GB DDR3 1333 ECC, 120GB SATA SSD, AMD Radeon 7850. Soon to be upgraded to 2 x 6 Core Xeons

Phones:

Spoiler

LG G6 - Platinum (The best colour of any phone, period)

LG G7 - Moroccan Blue

On 9/4/2022 at 5:50 AM, NastyFlytrap said:

I live in South Dakota USA and used to live in a trailer where all the screws were Robertson but you are right, they are a real FU. Every benefit that Robertson claims is outclassed by Posidrive and Torx. Heck I had so many of those Robertson bits cam out CONSISTANTLY.