My brother is an idiot

rour75

my brother says that money can't buy better tech and says its all the same and that a cheap pc can do stuff just as good as a expensive pc please post comments telling him he is wrong

this whole argument started with him saying that its possible to have absolutely 0 latency on a streaming device for example he was playing on our xbox and he was streaming it to his laptop wirelessly and he said there was 0 delay but I said he was wrong because there was visible delay

He seems convinced so it'd be a waste of time to try explaining things, just forget about it. 

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

Let him live in blissful ignorance, you'll only get yourself worked up.

1 hour ago, NastyFlytrap said:

Dont argue with idiots

its never worth it and there's nothing to be gained from it.

They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

It's like playing chess against a pigeon, even if you checkmate they'll just crap on the board and strut around like they won, because in their mind they did.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

streaming will always add some delay, but if it's very good at it? maybe.

as for

money can't buy better tech

that a cheap pc can do stuff just as good as a expensive pc

like yes and no, depends on what he really means by that. As money doesn't often help in buying new tech, as there is always going to be something "newer" and wasting money if one could always get it for cheaper now or later. Also that some "cheaper" systems does very well and you might not need the extra performance of a higher end system. Although there is always a point where you will feel the SPEED 😛

Well I get 120fps in Cyberpunk 2077 with a Pentium III and an ATI Rage 128........So I see no need to upgrade 😛

Being serious though......There are always diminishing returns for anything, the more you spend the advantages become less and less.  I recently upgraded to a 3080 from a 3060ti:

Am I getting better performance? Yes.

Am I enjoying my gaming nights more? Hmmmm, maybe???

Was it worth the £670 I spent on the 3080? Probably not 😞

CPU - Ryzen 7 5800x3D |  GPU - RTX 3080 TUF OC | Motherboard - ASUS TUF X570 | RAM - Patriot Viper Blackout 32GB 3200MHz | Case - InWin 805 | Boot Drive - Corsair MP600 PCIe 4.0  Storage - 2 x 1TB SSD's & 1 500GB SSD | PSU - Seasonic Focus Gold 1000w | Display - ASUS TUF VG27WQ Curved 1440P 165Hz | Cooling - ASUS TUF LC240 AIO + 5 aRGB Fans

He’s your brother, so don’t give up (on his capabilities) 🙂

As far as I can understand you have some miscommunication and/or different ‘tolerance’ for certain things. If you show some examples side by side and explain exactly what do you mean by each term you use, and ask him to explain himself - then all will be revealed. He just might be f-ing with you cause you didn’t share a pizza slice.

He's kinda right and kinda wrong. 

Most modern computer stuff is perfectly capable. 

Is better stuff better? Yeah. 

So depends how much you want to nitpick. 

I'm sure if you saved money on a lower cost computer, you'd be perfectly satisfied. 

On 8/27/2022 at 8:14 PM, rour75 said:

my brother says that money can't buy better tech and says its all the same and that a cheap pc can do stuff just as good as a expensive pc please post comments telling him he is wrong

this whole argument started with him saying that its possible to have absolutely 0 latency on a streaming device for example he was playing on our xbox and he was streaming it to his laptop wirelessly and he said there was 0 delay but I said he was wrong because there was visible delay

Ignorance is a bliss.

If he doesn't want to listen then just let him live in a bubble detached from reality.

He is a lost cause.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

On 8/27/2022 at 2:14 PM, rour75 said:

a cheap pc can do stuff just as good as a expensive pc

Technically he is right and also wrong.

if its rendering projects yes it just takes longer.

If its gaming high resource games no.

I use a used dell optiplex 5050 with 20GB of ram and stock igpu, I don't really game on PC excpt old games and low resource games.

I edit on a igpu, but most of my work load works on this pc so I don't feel like I need to upgrade.

Everyone, Creator初音ミク Hatsune Miku Google commercial.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Dead cameras: Nikion s4000, Canon XTi

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 8GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive                                                                     

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

audio mac- 2017 apple macbook air A1466 EMC 3178

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

Some of the new workstations I've been deploying are Dell Inspirons running Intel i3 12100s. Been able to grab a few on their scratch and dent site for $500.

Those boxes are stupid fast with a basic SSD. They spank more premium desktops just a few years old because they have better per core efficacy, and you can feel it with basic apps. They will crush any laptop even close to the same price.

Tech is not linear, and other than GPUs more money doesn't always equate to better performance. 

Maybe your brother knows that money doesn't grow on trees.

Maybe he will have it when it is necessary. Maybe he takes life seriously and actually knows what is important and what is just playing games.

8 hours ago, fpo said:

He's kinda right and kinda wrong. 

Most modern computer stuff is perfectly capable. 

Is better stuff better? Yeah. 

So depends how much you want to nitpick. 

I'm sure if you saved money on a lower cost computer, you'd be perfectly satisfied. 

Yeah I think likewise. It is the 80/20 thing. You can get a perfect cheap computer.

Well to help your Brother a least a little, he's right in regard of plain Office Work. Word, Excel Powerpoint, a little Interwebs, Youtube, Outlook... 

Else if you have a specific higher workload running more than half of the time, yes a machine specifically specced costs more.

But then again, you don't need an I9 12900k with 64 gigs, and a RTX3090 just to play minecraft... that's just stupid ^^

The point really is, specc the machine to what you want to do with it, realistically (for example if a ceaper GPU does only 300 FPS in your games, and your Monitor manages 144hz, you don't need a GPU that can deliver 1000 FPS). So specc it to your needs and add a little, so you don't need to buy a new one next year. 

Main System:

Anghammarad : Asrock Taichi x570, AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @4900 MHz. 32 GB DDR4 3600, some NVME SSDs, Gainward Phoenix RTX 3070TI

System 2 "Igluna" AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Pro, Core I5 3570k @4300, 16 GB Ram DDR3 2133, some SSD, and a 2 TB HDD each, Gainward Phantom 760GTX.

System 3 "Inskah" AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Pro, Core I5 3570k @4300, 16 GB Ram DDR3 2133, some SSD, and a 2 TB HDD each, Gainward Phantom 760GTX.

On the Road: Acer Aspire 5 Model A515-51G-54FD, Intel Core i5 7200U, 8 GB DDR4 Ram, 120 GB SSD, 1 TB SSD, Intel CPU GFX and Nvidia MX 150, Full HD IPS display

Media System "Vio": Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5700X, 64 GB Ram DDR4 3200 Mushkin, 1 275 GB Crucial MX SSD, 1 tb Crucial MX500 SSD. IBM 5015 Megaraid, 4 Seagate Ironwolf 4TB HDD in raid 5, 4 WD RED 4 tb in another Raid 5, Gainward Phoenix GTX 1060

(Abit Fatal1ty FP9 IN SLI, C2Duo E8400, 6 GB Ram DDR2 800, far too less diskspace, Gainward Phantom 560 GTX broken need fixing)

Nostalgia: Amiga 1200, Tower Build, CPU/FPU/MMU 68EC020, 68030, 68882 @50 Mhz, 10 MByte ram (2 MB Chip, 8 MB Fast), Fast SCSI II, 2 CDRoms, 2 1 GB SCSI II IBM Harddrives, 512 MB Quantum Lightning HDD, self soldered Sync changer to attach VGA displays, WLAN

For a lot of things, he's not exactly wrong. If you use a PC just for web browsing and as a media consumption box, you don't need top tier hardware and low end stuff will work just as good.
Of course, once you start doing anything more than basic stuff, like gaming and video editing, the higher end hardware will provide tangible benefits in the form of higher frame per seconds and faster render time.

Oh but he's 100% wrong on the latency thing.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

On 8/27/2022 at 2:14 PM, rour75 said:

please post comments telling him he is wrong

no comment will convince someone ignoring logic to use reason.

Insanity is not the absence of sanity, but the willingness to ignore it for a purpose. Chaos is the result of this choice. I relish in both.

show him a youtube benchmark of a pentium vs a threadripper

I'm assuming you guys are around 11-12... show him this thread in 5 years and you'll both have a laugh

10 hours ago, RollyShed said:

Maybe your brother knows that money doesn't grow on trees.

Maybe he will have it when it is necessary. Maybe he takes life seriously and actually knows what is important and what is just playing games.

Claiming latency doesn't exist doesn't exactly give me this vibe, more like a kid in denial about not having the best hardware possible.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

[snark] Most people are idiots. [/snark]

System Specs: Second-class potato, slightly mouldy

there is a "bit" of logic in this... not generally..

but let us take GPU´s, i get that there are "vendor specific designs" but if you buy a 3080 then all the reference designs in theory will give you the same card, with just a different cooler. of course cooler has impact. 

motherboard, well the chipsets are fairly alike..

So if you look in "same catagory" and the spread between cheapest brands and expensive, maybe the wins are not that big, although of course on examples like motherboards, powerdelivery can be important, if you do 16 core on a simple cheap motherboard.

but more "expensive" does not always mean better. and sometimes people also overextend, for instance is a 16core Ryzen for gaming really wort ANYTHING compared to an 8 core.

But yeah... generally the statement has no value, however there nuances.