Next-Gen Consoles, Are They Any Good?

So yes the next generation of Games consoles is upon us, as someone looking into buying one I was open to all options but having done research have found myself thinking I might not bother at all, why is that? Well wheres the revolution? Wheres the impressive new features, the stunning graphics, why should I spend money on this thing instead of investing in my computer. 

It seams the latest consoles are either very good as a core gaming machine but lack other features, or very feature packed and seam to lack some features central to gaming such as the performance required for high resolution gaming, so I ask, are the next gen consoles any good? Will you buy one?

One word, PC

CPUIntel 4670k  Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z87X-D3H  RAMKingston HyperX 8GB  GPU - EVGA 780  Case - Fractal Design Define R4    Storage - 2TB WD Black, Samsung 840 Evo 128GB     PSU - Corsair RM650  Display -  Benq XL2430T and Acer S235HL  Cooling - CM Hyper 212 Evo  Keyboard - Corsair K95  Mouse - Razer Deathadder  Sound - Sennheiser HD 558                                 Mic - Blue Snowball  Phone- OnePlus One  Tablet - Nvidia Shield

Next gen consoles are not worth it. PC gaming is way beyond next gen. Not to mention, PC's have unlimited upgrade ability, you're stuck with what you got until the next console releases with consoles. :D

i wouldnt mind

there will be some great exlusives

STILL WAITING FOR THE LAST GUARDIAN !!! :P

and Last of US HD remake :)

Journey HD remake

in the life time of a console there are around like 6 must have games

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

Another generation of 720p and 30Hz and for £350. Turns out if you shout "the human eye can't see more than 30 fps" and "1080p is retina" for long enough Sony and Microsoft will realise just how easy to screw over you are.

Two words... Wii U :)

My Rig:

OS: MSX CPU:Intel i5 4690K RAM: 16GB Averix Core Series  GPU: XFX R9 280X SSD:128GB Crucial M4 Motherboard:Gigabyte GA-Z97N Wifi Powersupply: Corsair HX750 CPU Cooler: Corsair H60i Case: Corsair 250D Monitors: Asus VE278 and Asus VW202 Keyboard: Steel Series 6G V2 Mouse: CM Sentinel Advanced Audio: Objective 2 ODAC Headphones: Senheiser HD595

There should be a 4th option, "I'd get one if they were cheaper"

Paying $500 for an XBone is ridiculous. Neither console should cost more than $250. Drop the price and I'll trade in my 360 for a PS4 in a heartbeat.

"Energy drinks don't make my mouth taste like yak buttholes like coffee does, so I'll stick with them." - Yoinkerman

Another generation of 720p and 30Hz and for £350. Turns out if you shout "the human eye can't see more than 30 fps" and "1080p is retina" for long enough Sony and Microsoft will realise just how easy to screw over you are.

That's of course if you get a Xbox one :P. The majority of games on the PS4 are 1080p 30/60 fps, with the Xbox One having a mix from 720p to mostly 900p. Some get to 1080p.

Honestly right now there aren't really that many games on either systems to warrant a purchase if you aren't a fan of consoles. There are some decent exclusives but not many. E3 should show what the consoles are capable of with more of the industry having experience developing on the new machines and might help people decide.

That's of course if you get a Xbox one :P. The majority of games on the PS4 are 1080p 30/60 fps, with the Xbox One having a mix from 720p to mostly 900p. Some get to 1080p.

Honestly right now there aren't really that many games on either systems to warrant a purchase if you aren't a fan of consoles. There are some decent exclusives but not many. E3 should show what the consoles are capable of with more of the industry having experience developing on the new machines and might help people decide.

And that's something to be proud of? "This gen is actually capable of what was promised last gen!"

You can build something equivalent to a Xbone for less than £300 with a decent APU. You can build a very decent mid-range PC for 1080p for £500. For £900 you can build something exponentially better than either of them. The only console that justifies its position at this point is the Wii U because that offers stuff that the PC just doesn't.

And that's something to be proud of? "This gen is actually capable of what was promised last gen!"

You can build something equivalent to a Xbone for less than £300 with a decent APU. You can build a very decent mid-range PC for 1080p for £500. For £900 you can build something exponentially better than either of them. The only console that justifies its position at this point is the Wii U because that offers stuff that the PC just doesn't.

I was just correcting your 720p statement, but are you also suggesting that the nextgen or current gen should have promised for more than 1080p?

I don't remember so much that 1080p was going to be the standard but more that the machines were going to be capable of that. I remembered more about CGI sequences being shown off as what game play was going to be like and that causing an uproar :P

Which APU are you suggesting in that build? Because even the top A10 7850k from AMD doesnt quite match the GPU in the X1 ( certainly not the GPU in the PS4), its better on the CPU side of things though.

I have an Xbone. My son does play games on it, but it's our media PC. And it's damn great at being a media PC. The gestures and the voice commands make it easy to pause, volume up, and play next episode.

We recently got a Wii U and for gaming, it's great for what's not available on PC. I like gaming with my wife and kids, but it gets old having to pass the KB or controller. Wii U FTW!

Air 540, MSI Z97 Gaming 7, 4770K, SLI EVGA 980Ti, 16GB Vengeance Pro 2133, HX1050, H105840 EVO 500, 850 Pro 512, WD Black 1TB, HyperX 3K 120, SMSNG u28e590d, K70 Blues, M65 RGB.          Son's PC: A10 7850k, MSI A88X gaming, MSI gaming R9 270X, Air 240, H55, 8GB Vengeance pro 2400, CX430, Asus VG278HE, K60 Reds, M65 RGB                                                                                       Daughter's PC: i5-4430, MSI z87 gaming AC, GTX970 gaming 4G, pink air 240, fury 1866 8gb, CX600, SMSNG un55HU8550, CMstorm greens, Deathadder 2013

Paying $500 for an XBone is ridiculous. Neither console should cost more than $250. Drop the price and I'll trade in my 360 for a PS4 in a heartbeat.

Pricing seems to be on the money, spec wise. Though the PS4 pricing is ridiculous. Definitely losing money on PS4. The only thing I don't like is the monthly paid subscription to use the things.

Air 540, MSI Z97 Gaming 7, 4770K, SLI EVGA 980Ti, 16GB Vengeance Pro 2133, HX1050, H105840 EVO 500, 850 Pro 512, WD Black 1TB, HyperX 3K 120, SMSNG u28e590d, K70 Blues, M65 RGB.          Son's PC: A10 7850k, MSI A88X gaming, MSI gaming R9 270X, Air 240, H55, 8GB Vengeance pro 2400, CX430, Asus VG278HE, K60 Reds, M65 RGB                                                                                       Daughter's PC: i5-4430, MSI z87 gaming AC, GTX970 gaming 4G, pink air 240, fury 1866 8gb, CX600, SMSNG un55HU8550, CMstorm greens, Deathadder 2013

I was just correcting your 720p statement, but are you also suggesting that the nextgen or current gen should have promised for more than 1080p?

I don't remember so much that 1080p was going to be the standard but more that the machines were going to be capable of that. I remembered more about CGI sequences being shown off as what game play was going to be like and that causing an uproar :P

Which APU are you suggesting in that build? Because even the top A10 7850k from AMD doesnt quite match the GPU in the X1 ( certainly not the GPU in the PS4), its better on the CPU side of things though.

1080p was standard when the PS3 came out. It's why Sony bet their company on putting a blu ray player in the thing. This gen neither console should have an issue with pumping out 1080p at 60 fps constantly, with the option of 4k at low to medium graphics settings without anti-aliasing at 25-30 fps. That would be a marked improvement over last gen. I'm not saying that it should have been a brilliant 4k experience because that is unrealistic. But a very decent 1080p experience, with the option of 4k *in some capacity* would have pushed the envelope and delivered something apart from the previous generation. That would also have forced a lower price for 4k TVs as they would actually have media available for them that's not youtube, or playback from 4k cameras. As it is they are just giving the same but with slightly better textures.

And the APU I was suggesting was based on my earlier assertion of the quality of consoles (or just the xbone) of being able to manage 720p at 30 fps at low to medium quality. Which is doable.

Didnt answer your poll because I didnt find any answer applicable

The next gen consoles are not mind blowing. And I prefer my pc x100, But I still intend to get them anyway

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

One thing that we have to realize is that games will get better, resolutions and frame rates will increase with the life of the consoles. Compare the 360 / PS3 launch titles to current games (Tomb Raider for instance). Huge difference

"Energy drinks don't make my mouth taste like yak buttholes like coffee does, so I'll stick with them." - Yoinkerman

I think that console's are just hitting a wall, their size's are getting bigger, they get more limited on functions(paying for web acces) but they still aer a good solution for people that just need something bit cheaper and fast, i mean the games don't need to be at 1080p, I bet there are quite a few TV's in the common house holds wich don't support this.

Also, they need to learn to keep fiction, expectation and fact form each other(looking at micorsoft/Xbox) since i heard that microsoft/Xbox claimed the Xbone would be just as good/better then a dual(or was it single?) GTX titan set up for pc.

Wich reminds me of the picture with the Xbone demo's running form gaming pc's hidden underneath it and the Xbone actually not even connected.

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

Well the Xbox One is great as a set top box...

If you want to join a really cool Discord chatroom with some great guys here from LTT and outside this community then PM me!

Sony is only making like 15 dollars per console sold. They're pretty price competetive. They're not an amazing value like the ps3 and xbox 360 was on release day, but they're still pretty good.

CPU: Intel Core i7 2600k | Mootherboard: ASUS P8z68v-Pro | GPU: EVGA GTX780Ti 3GB | RAM: Kingston HyperX Genesis 8GB (4GBx2) 1600mhz | PSU: Corsair AX760 | STORAGE: Samsung 840 Pro 512GB | COOLER: Noctua NH-C14 | CASE: Fractal Design Define R4 Pearl Black | Operating SystemWindows 7 Professional 64-bit |

WiiU FTW, the one and only Console I have or want for that matter ;).

My Sig Rig: "X79 (3970X) -Midas"http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wsjGt6"  "Midas" Build Log - https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/59768-build-log-in-progress-code-name-midas/

"The Riddler" Custom Watercooled H440 Build Log ( in collaboration with my wife @ _TechPuppet_ ) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/149652-green-h440-special-edition-the-riddler-almost-there/

*Riptide Customs* " We sleeve PSU cables "

I was playing Forza on an Xbox One and it was pretty nice. Doesn't look as good as that leak that came out some time ago or whatever, but it's still pretty good looking.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

since the only game for xbox one that is remotely interesting is Titanfall, and PS4 right now is just throwing out a lot of inde tittles *on top of their PS+ "free" games thing* I would say neither of them have a killer app but at least the PS has more content I guess.. i'd wait until this fall and see if anything interesting has come out or has been announced though I must admit once Kingdom Hearts 3 comes out that will be when I get a PS4. until then I'd say a Wii U or grab a console you missed last gen and get some decent titles for those.

Their good as soon as they come out then after a game or two get released for PC the consoles can only handle them at 30 fps etc.  So, all in all.  If you are already invested in consoles, sure.  But if your starting fresh a PC is a much for worthy investment.  

Well I am a gamer. Period. The master race this, console that thing means jack to me. I enjoy gaming and don't want to miss out on fun games. I bought an xbox one and a ps4 to have in addition to my gaming PC. I get to enjoy just about everything and I have no regrets about it.

9900K  / Noctua NH-D15S / Z390 Aorus Master / 32GB DDR4 Vengeance Pro 3200Mhz / eVGA 2080 Ti Black Ed / Morpheus II Core / Meshify C / LG 27UK650-W / PS4 Pro / XBox One X

Well, if I have a PC I wouldn't buy it. 

Humpty Dumpty was pushed.