Next-Gen Consoles, Are They Any Good?

Look, as we all know the PC is going to always be the definitive platform, no point in repeating that, yet I'd say that if you can afford it, it's worthwile to have at least one console around, even if just for exclusives and more casual, if you will, games for when you have someone over.

Still, if you're going to get one, say all that you want, but I'm confident that short term the XB One is the better choiche, yet long-term the PS4 steals the show. OH, and as for the Wii U, I don't really know what to see, we'll have to wait and see what Nintendo has up the sleeve for the future  ^_^.

only worth it if you like sports games like NBA 2k14.
or a wii U cause those things have tons of first party content gold (or soon to be)

I love consoles for sport games and 3rd person games (like AC, GTA etc.). The game I've sunk more hours in to then any other, MLB: The Show, is only on PS, so I will be getting a PS4 after I empty my bank accounts for the Mrs' birthday.

If you want a game that's exclusive to one then yes, otherwise an equivalent PC is better.

So yes the next generation of Games consoles is upon us

WiiU, XBOX ONE and PS4 are current generation systems. I'd like to own all 3 of them at some point but I'm waiting for a significant price drop.

One word, PC

That's not a word. It's an abbreviation. Goes to show ...

I don't really play many games for gameplay anymore honestly. I play most games just for the graphics.

We established in another thread that you actually couldn't build a PC that would out perform a PS4 for £350, or an X1 for £300 (less £100 for Kinect).

The challenge was a PC with bluray drive, and control pad that would achieve better performance on BF4 for £350 - the closest suggested was over £400 - for a huge ugly tower filled with the cheapest, noisest parts.

If someone just wanted to play games and didn't need a PC, why would they chose that? It's a choice between a great console and a cheap and nasty PC.

The argument that you can build a better PC for the price of a console is a left-over from last gen. It'll be true again in a few years, not now.

The consoles are good value at the moment, and a good option for someone who just wants to play games.

If i got one for free i wouldn't complain.

But i wouldn't pay for one with my own money. 

It just doesn't feel worth it. Especially since the witcher 3 is (According to the gaming magazine "level") Already taxing next gen consoles to the limit 

On what (according to their sources that they did not speak of) apparantly is LOW settings on pc.

Halo, Forza and infamous second son are doing a fine job of trying to make me buy a next gen console though...

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

If i got one for free i wouldn't complain.

But i wouldn't pay for one with my own money.

It just doesn't feel worth it. Especially since the witcher 3 is (According to the gaming magazine "level") Already taxing next gen consoles to the limit

On what (according to their sources that they did not speak of) apparantly is LOW settings on pc.

Halo, Forza and infamous second son are doing a fine job of trying to make me buy a next gen console though...

Consoles are always "pushed to the limit" by developers. No one makes a game look worse than it needs to be. But over the generation new tricks are found, new ways to squeeze more out of the same limitations. Games continue to look better. They always do.

Of course they will always be worse than the best PCs but I would bet everything I owned on games continuing to look better every year on them.

Consoles are always "pushed to the limit" by developers. No one makes a game look worse than it needs to be. But over the generation new tricks are found, new ways to squeeze more out of the same limitations. Games continue to look better. They always do.

Of course they will always be worse than the best PCs but I would bet everything I owned on games continuing to look better every year on them.

Yes i know. The difference in graphics when it comes to games that were launched with the xbox 360 compared to how they look today is pretty impressive.

But i've sold my soul to gaben for regular steam sales and lower prices. There is no escape for me

"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

Yes i know. The difference in graphics when it comes to games that were launched with the xbox 360 compared to how they look today is pretty impressive.

But i've sold my soul to gaben for regular steam sales and lower prices. There is no escape for me

Yeah, now I have a PC I expect I'll do most my gaming there - or one-player gaming anyway.

The principle reason I bought an Xbox One is that friends who live a long way from me bought them. I'll probably buy a PS4 later this year as a couple of other friends are getting it. If I wan't to play games with my mates, I have to have the machines they have.

Yeah, now I have a PC I expect I'll do most my gaming there - or one-player gaming anyway.

The principle reason I bought an Xbox One is that friends who live a long way from me bought them. I'll probably buy a PS4 later this year as a couple of other friends are getting it. If I wan't to play games with my mates, I have to have the machines they have.

Im still rocking the gamecube xD. Still the best console to bring out when you've got drunk friends over to play some mario golf^^

I enjoy my XB1. There are definitely games I will get for the PC instead of a console. (Dragon Age, Witcher 3) But something like a racing game, I prefer with a controller and a big TV. Plus Netflix, and even some YouTube videos are just better on the big screen.

Don't get me wrong, I game mainly on the PC but it's nice to have both.

I plan on getting a PS4 for some first party games. There are some games that are poorly optimized on PC, so a console as a backup is always nice.

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx

I plan on getting a PS4 for some first party games. There are some games that are poorly optimized on PC, so a console as a backup is always nice.

My fav ones from Sony are Infamous & Resogun. :D

IdeaCentre K450 Review - My favorite (pre-built) gaming desktop under $1000.

Gaming PC Under $500 = Gaming on a budget.

Has anyone here heard of an Emulator? Just use a PS4/PS3 or Potatobox 360 or Potatobox One emulator to play those exclusive games.

Well I am a gamer. Period. The master race this, console that thing means jack to me. I enjoy gaming and don't want to miss out on fun games. I bought an xbox one and a ps4 to have in addition to my gaming PC. I get to enjoy just about everything and I have no regrets about it.

But not everyone wants to invest $600 on consoles and then another $1500 + on a top flight gaming PC.

Oneplus 6 | Sony 55" X900F . Lenovo Y540 17" 144Hz RTX 2060 . i7 9750h. 

Audio-GD DAC-19MK3 > Schiit Lyr 2 + > FOSTEX TH900 . Sony XBA-Z5

Has anyone here heard of an Emulator? Just use a PS4/PS3 or Potatobox 360 or Potatobox One emulator to play those exclusive games.

Not sure why recommending people steal seems to be OK on these forums...

Emulation is never comparable to the experience of playing the games on the platform they were intended to be played on.

There is also no adequately functional emulator currently available for the Xbox 360 or PlayStation 3, let alone their next-gen counterparts. It will most likely be quite a long time before we start seeing even initial success in creating one.

"Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted
Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials | Members of Staff

Well the Xbox One is great as a set top box...

I use the kinect as a remote lol, but yea It is a great settop box!

Last game I played was deadrising 3.

I have everything, but honestly did you expect ultra @ 1080p for $399-500? I don't, that's a price of a gpu that could though.

I'm Batman!

Steam: Rukiri89 | uPlay: Rukiri89 | Origin: XxRukiriXx | Xbox LIVE: XxRUKIRIxX89 | PSN: Ericks1989 | Nintendo Network ID: Rukiri

Project Xenos: Motherboard: MSI Z170a M9 ACK | CPU: i7 6700k | Ram: G.Skil TridentZ 16GB 3000mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 850w G2 | Case: Caselabs SMA8 | Cooling: Custom Loop | Still in progress 

The worst sin of these consoles is the sub fee to play online. That alone is a sufficient turnoff for me.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I've got a PS4 and I like it.

It maybe doesn't perform like a PC, and if you have a decent PC there's no reason to get one. But right now I don't have a good PC and for £350 you get pretty good performance and a good controller and knowledge that it'll still be good in a few years. PS+ also gives you pretty decent indie games every month that I'd not play otherwise.

As I've said, it's nothing special, but nothing to complain about either.

The worst sin of these consoles is the sub fee to play online. That alone is a sufficient turnoff for me.

You get stuff with that you know. Free games and discounts from Sony. Discounts, dedicated servers and now also free games from Microsoft. For about £3 a month its not a bad deal.

You get stuff with that you know. Free games and discounts from Sony. Discounts, dedicated servers and now also free games from Microsoft. For about £3 a month its not a bad deal.

It is, because you get the same things from steam (great discounts and dedicated servers) and origin (free games every month and dedicated servers) for free. And what if I don't care and just want to play a couple of online games with my friends who might have them, while playing everything else on pc?

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*