NVIDIA's RTX 4070 will allegedly boost to 2.8GHz offering the same compute power as an RTX 3090 Ti

2 hours ago, pas008 said:

you have a link to this?

I was trying a lot but I can't find my claims for DOOM Eternal regarding RTX 3070 and 3070ti not even being able to launch at 4k with RT and no DLSS... I know I saw it either on Gamers Nexus, Hardware Unboxed or LTT but I just am unable to find it.

At the same time, I can't find any benchmark with RTX 3070 using these settings in DOOM Eternal as well.

I defintely want to find it though because I swear I saw multiple instances of this but now I just can't find anything... 😞 

(this is the only thing indirectly confirming my claim... from Hardware Unboxed with RTX 2080 vs RTX 3080 where they confirmed the 8GB of VRAM on 2080 is a limitation and it makes RTX 3080 look much better in comparison performance wise)

But regardin Forza Horizon 5, I am speaking from personal experience.

This is what happens (or happened when I used to play) at 1440p on Extreme after playing for a while. The game runs fine until you travel a huge chunk of map, then this starts to happen to textures when you run out of VRAM (RTX 3060ti 8GB).

Mind you, I get around 80-90FPS on Extreme so its perfectly playable, just graphical glitches. Maybe they fixed it with an update? Havent played for quite a while. This is from the 1st month of game release.

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.b99258009efecea48329acfdb04216a4.png

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.521e11d38b583351876aaff655eda797.png

14 minutes ago, WereCat said:

I was trying a lot but I can't find my claims for DOOM Eternal regarding RTX 3070 and 3070ti not even being able to launch at 4k with RT and no DLSS... I know I saw it either on Gamers Nexus, Hardware Unboxed or LTT but I just am unable to find it.

At the same time, I can't find any benchmark with RTX 3070 using these settings in DOOM Eternal as well.

I defintely want to find it though because I swear I saw multiple instances of this but now I just can't find anything... 😞 

(this is the only thing indirectly confirming my claim... from Hardware Unboxed with RTX 2080 vs RTX 3080 where they confirmed the 8GB of VRAM on 2080 is a limitation and it makes RTX 3080 look much better in comparison performance wise)

This is what happens (or happened when I used to play) at 1440p on Extreme after playing for a while. The game runs fine until you travel a huge chunk of map, then this starts to happen to textures when you run out of VRAM (RTX 3060ti 8GB).

Mind you, I get around 80-90FPS on Extreme so its perfectly playable, just graphical glitches. Maybe they fixed it with an update? Havent played for quite a while. This is from the 1st month of game release.

Hide contents

image.thumb.png.b99258009efecea48329acfdb04216a4.png

Hide contents

image.thumb.png.521e11d38b583351876aaff655eda797.png

thx for posting

I know as a triplehead(before surround)/surround gamer I have ran into issues of vram but very rarely for games i play, if i did usually my card/s wasnt powerful enough to begin and/or just turned aa down and/or off

also I know how easy it can be to screw up comparisons too considering nvidia's control panel and game's video settings

cant remember which games but but changing in nvidias control panel made them look prettier in my eyes but that could be placebo though too

4 hours ago, Levent said:

I know DVMT is the name I can remember. Technology exists on AMD side of as well, AMD just keep renaming it. I dont even know what Nvidia calls it.

Nvidia doesn't have anything like DVMT.

DVMT is a technology from Intel that dynamically allocates system memory for use as VRAM, for their iGPUs since they don't have any dedicated VRAM.

AMD probably has something similar because they also make iGPUs that don't have any dedicated memory.

You are wrong there, DVMT or whatever AMD and Nvidia is called is used when dedicated VRAM is ran out. (Launch your task manager and see Shared GPU memory under GPU, that is DVMT/Shared memory).

Nvidia does not have it since all their GPUs have their own VRAM.

Nvidia GPUs, and all GPUs for that matter, uses system memory as a cache. The GPUs don't have much control over it though. That's what the "shared GPU memory" section in the task manager is for.

However, unlike DVMT, the "shared GPU memory" section is not controlled by the GPU. It is controlled by the CPU. Nvidia has developed a way around this which they called "pinned host memory", but it's a CUDA specific feature. It works by having the GPU driver instruct the CPU to keep GPU-related data in specific memory locations. As a result, the GPU can fetch data directly from memory without having the CPU handle the transaction. But it's off-topic and not relevant to what we are discussing.

Anyway, that shared GPU memory section in task manager? That's the memory that would be used in case you were running out of VRAM. It's where the CPU places data as it needs to be pushed to and pulled from the VRAM.

"Shared GPU memory" is not the same as DVMT.

Which is exactly what I said, I recommend you to read again.

(A lot of programming languages and operating systems for the last 20/30 years have checks in between to reduce crashes due to running out of memory but doesnt mean it eliminates performance issues that will arise from them.)

DVMT/Shared memory saves that from happening when dedicated VRAM less than what app is trying to allocate. That is how most older graphics cards are able to run titles that use far more VRAM than they got. That is also why pagefile/swap is critical on low RAM applications.

I have no idea what you are on about. I think you are throwing around terminology you don't fully understand, and are getting things mixed up.

You're right that modern systems do not crash if they run out of memory (system or VRAM) anymore. It's not because of DVMT though, and that is not the same type of "running out of memory" I was talking about when I said reaching 100% VRAM usage does not necessarily mean you will get stuttering.

The "memory" usage metrics you see in task manager and other programs is usually inaccurate. That is what I am trying to say. It includes a lot of data that is no longer in use, but hasn't been cleared because the OS thinks "why clear RAM when I am in no danger of running out". The same thing applies to VRAM.

That racing game you play that sits at around 8GB of VRAM usage? If you got a GPU with 24GB of VRAM then I wouldn't be surprised if the game suddenly started using 11GB of VRAM even at the same settings. Not because "the game actually needed 11GB of VRAM to begin with", but because the game will have more assets cached, regardless of whether they are needed or not.

Garbage collection depends on the game engine and the use case. It is not misleading. Map size, render distance and asset size is the defining factors. I will admit I havent wrote my own game engine but as with everyone in this industry I had my share at developing shitty basic games.

It is misleading. Garbage collection also depends on the amount of available resources. The more you got, the less it will be done, in general.

Unreal engine is a pretty widely used game engine, right? Here is what it has to say about how it handles garbage collecting:

The garbage collection system automatically runs every 30-60 seconds (or less depending on how much free memory remains on the system)

I want you to pay very close attention to the part in the parenthesis. The frequency of how often the garbage collector is run is directly dependent on how much free memory exists. The less free memory, the more often the garbage collector will run.

Want an example from Unity?

Unity uses a garbage collector to reclaim memory from objects that your application and Unity are no longer using. When a script tries to make an allocation on the managed heap but there isn’t enough free heap memory to accommodate the allocation, Unity runs the garbage collector. When the garbage collector runs, it examines all objects in the heap, and marks for deletion any objects that your application no longer references. Unity then deletes the unreferenced objects, which frees up memory.

The garbage collector in Unity only runs when it runs out of memory.

As far as I know, all modern game engines works this way. The more free RAM (and VRAM) you got, the less frequently it will clean up unused memory. That is why the task manager is not an indicator of how much memory something needs. Because it pretty much always includes a ton of unused data that could be cleared without any performance penalty.

5 hours ago, Levent said:

If you make the game load only 3e+9 bytes worth of assets sure you wont benefit from having 1e+10 bytes of VRAM.

Again, saying "3e+9 bytes" instead of 3GB does not make you sound smarter or more knowledgeable. 

You are missing my point. If the game only requires 3GB of data in VRAM to render for example a level in a game, then having 3GB of unused data from the previous level stored in VRAM does not magically increase performance. But that might be exactly what you are looking at when you open task manager and see "oh, this game uses 6GB of VRAM". No, it might use 3GB of VRAM and then have 3GB of unused assets loaded, but those 3GB of unused assets will be deleted at no loss in performance if necessary. As long as you don't run out of memory, clearing out old assets is a waste.

Yes it would, just because it is able to mitigate lack of resources by caching into pagefile so fast that you are not able to notice doesnt make swapping magically have no impact.

It doesn't cache into the pagefile...

Do you know what the pagefile is? Because I am starting to doubt it. It's not used for VRAM caching. The pagefile is used for caching main memory. There is a big difference.

And you would only get stuttering if the active data set is larger than the available VRAM. My point is that the task manager does not show how big the active data set is. It only shows how much data is stored in VRAM. How much data is stored in VRAM is a very different metric compared to "how much data is actively being worked on".

More VRAM I got means more assets I can keep it in VRAM, higher quality assets I can keep in VRAM, instead of having to stream them from disk. I love how you act like asset streaming stutters were not a thing. Game engines got smarter about asset streaming but it doesnt take much for user notice stutters when assets are streamed (especially nowadays when 100hz+ gaming is common).

I am not pretending that stuttering isn't a thing. You are completely missing my point.

All I have said is that the task manager does not accurately show how much VRAM is actually actively being used. It is often showing way more, because the more you got the more old data it will keep around. Then you started throwing around a bunch of words you clearly don't understand to try and sound smart and made the conversation very muddy.

To summarize, the task manager (and programs like MSI afterburner) will only show you how much data is stored in VRAM. It does not show how much of that data is actually needed.

For example, task manager might show 6GB of VRAM used while playing a certain game. That does not mean the game requires 6GB of VRAM.

The level you are playing might only contain 3GB of data, but the game engine decided to keep the 3GB of data from the old level around. Because why waste resources to find and delete the 3GB of unused data if it can keep that data around and still have let's say another 6GB of VRAM to spare?

But if you didn't have a a 12GB VRAM graphics card, if you instead had an 8GB card, the game engine would more quickly delete those 3GB from the previous level and your VRAM usage would be the (correct) 3GB.

According to you there is no reason to get anything more than 4e+9 byte cards for gaming then?

No, that is not what I said and I think you are being ridiculous setting up such a poor strawman.

My objection was to you, and many other, using task manager to try and gauge how much VRAM is needed for game X and Y. Task manager is not an accurate tool to measure it. If you get stuttering, then you might have a VRAM issue. But the stuttering is the evidence for this, not the task manager showing 100% VRAM usage. The task manager can show really high VRAM usage and it isn't an issue. Sometimes it is, but sometimes it isn't.

4e+9 byte cards

I think this is literally the first time in 2 decades of being involved with computers I've ever heard someone speak like this. 🤣

Believe it or not, it does not make you sound smarter.

Zen 3 Daily Rig (2022 - Present): AMD Ryzen 9 5900X + Optimus Foundations AM4 | Nvidia RTX 3080 Ti FE + Alphacool Eisblock 3080 FE | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32GB DDR4-3600 (@3733 c14) | ASUS Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 2x Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB | Crucial MX500 1TB | Corsair RM1000x | Lian Li O11 Dynamic | LG 48" C1 | EK Quantum Kinetic TBE 200 w/ D5 | HWLabs GTX360 and GTS360 | Bitspower True Brass 14mm | Corsair 14mm White PMMA | ModMyMods Mod Water Clear | 9x BeQuiet Silent Wings 3 120mm PWM High Speed | Aquacomputer Highflow NEXT | Aquacomputer Octo

Test Bench: 

CPUs: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400, Core i5-2400, Core i7-4790K, Core i9-10900K, Core i3-13100, Core i9-13900KS

Motherboards: ASUS Z97-Deluxe, EVGA Z490 Dark, EVGA Z790 Dark Kingpin

GPUs: GTX 275 (RIP), 2x GTX 560, GTX 570, 2x GTX 650 Ti Boost, GTX 980, Titan X (Maxwell), x2 HD 6850

Bench: Cooler Master Masterframe 700 (bench mode)

Cooling: Heatkiller IV Pro Pure Copper | Koolance GPU-210 | HWLabs L-Series 360 | XSPC EX360 | Aquacomputer D5 | Bitspower Water Tank Z-Multi 250 | Monsoon Free Center Compressions | Mayhems UltraClear | 9x Arctic P12 120mm PWM PST

3 minutes ago, Sir Beregond said:

I think this is literally the first time in 2 decades of being involved with computers I've ever heard someone speak like this. 🤣

Believe it or not, it does not make you sound smarter.

Wasnt the point, that was just to annoy one person. I was originally going to talk about addressable memory space It wasnt supposed to be left in there but someone in their mind assumed that I used that to I tried to sound like a smartass so I just used every chance I got.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

1 hour ago, Levent said:

Wasnt the point, that was just to annoy one person. I was originally going to talk about addressable memory space It wasnt supposed to be left in there but someone in their mind assumed that I used that to I tried to sound like a smartass so I just used every chance I got.

OK, fair enough. 😀

Zen 3 Daily Rig (2022 - Present): AMD Ryzen 9 5900X + Optimus Foundations AM4 | Nvidia RTX 3080 Ti FE + Alphacool Eisblock 3080 FE | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32GB DDR4-3600 (@3733 c14) | ASUS Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 2x Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB | Crucial MX500 1TB | Corsair RM1000x | Lian Li O11 Dynamic | LG 48" C1 | EK Quantum Kinetic TBE 200 w/ D5 | HWLabs GTX360 and GTS360 | Bitspower True Brass 14mm | Corsair 14mm White PMMA | ModMyMods Mod Water Clear | 9x BeQuiet Silent Wings 3 120mm PWM High Speed | Aquacomputer Highflow NEXT | Aquacomputer Octo

Test Bench: 

CPUs: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400, Core i5-2400, Core i7-4790K, Core i9-10900K, Core i3-13100, Core i9-13900KS

GPUs: GTX 275 (RIP), 2x GTX 560, GTX 570, 2x GTX 650 Ti Boost, GTX 980, Titan X (Maxwell), x2 HD 6850

Cooling: Heatkiller IV Pro Pure Copper | Koolance GPU-210 | HWLabs L-Series 360 | XSPC EX360 | Aquacomputer D5 | Bitspower Water Tank Z-Multi 250 | Monsoon Free Center Compressions | Mayhems UltraClear | 9x Arctic P12 120mm PWM PST

11 hours ago, WereCat said:

That's odd. So it is the funny coloured textures? I would have expected if you run out of vram then performance would tank, but it would not impact the correctness of rendering. I have to wonder if there is something else going on here. Unless they start dropping high res textures once they don't fit, and the lower quality ones cause this somehow.

Is there a really quick and easy way to reproduce this? I think I got access to FH5 as part of gamepass but I'm more a Gran Turismo person when it comes to racing games so never got into it. If I understand your claim so far, 8GB GPUs can show this. 12GB GPUs don't. Is there any info on 10GB or 11GB GPUs?

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

19 minutes ago, porina said:

That's odd. So it is the funny coloured textures? I would have expected if you run out of vram then performance would tank, but it would not impact the correctness of rendering. I have to wonder if there is something else going on here. Unless they start dropping high res textures once they don't fit, and the lower quality ones cause this somehow.

Is there a really quick and easy way to reproduce this? I think I got access to FH5 as part of gamepass but I'm more a Gran Turismo person when it comes to racing games so never got into it. If I understand your claim so far, 8GB GPUs can show this. 12GB GPUs don't. Is there any info on 10GB or 11GB GPUs?

Well, considering thegame itself was throwing a pop-up with NOT ENOUGH VRAM during the gameplay, I would say that it should be easy to reproduce. But as I said, this happened after you traveled a big chunnk of map, it's not something that happens instantly as you get into the game.

The popup looks like this (from YT video, in my case it was not over the VRAM but exactly at 8GB as is my VRAM so it was not using DRAM or just very little)

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.bd97dc79d4fba9494d777e449fb1bcb2.png

I've also tried some of the suggested "fixes" or workarounds I found online but nothing worked for me besides lowering texture settings and some enviromental details.

14 hours ago, WereCat said:

Are you sure those graphical glitches were caused by a lack of VRAM?
It might just be a glitch that wasn't related to inadequate VRAM.

Edit: Disregard what I said above. I just saw your second post about it. 

Although, it could still be a bug and a symptom is that the VRAM gets filled with trash data (hence the missing textures). That does not necessarily mean having more VRAM would fix the issue.

3 hours ago, LAwLz said:

Are you sure those graphical glitches were caused by a lack of VRAM?
It might just be a glitch that wasn't related to inadequate VRAM.

Edit: Disregard what I said above. I just saw your second post about it. 

Although, it could still be a bug and a symptom is that the VRAM gets filled with trash data (hence the missing textures). That does not necessarily mean having more VRAM would fix the issue.

Agreed. I'd be curious if anyone on a 6800/6800XT/6900XT/6950XT are seeing similar errors.

Test Bench: 

I played FH5 a month or two ago pretty extensively when I got a game pass trial. 1440p max settings (144Hz monitor, usually 141-143 capped FPS to stay in G-Sync range). Sessions would last 1-2 hours or more and crossed the map pretty frequently. Never experienced any issues on my 10GB 3080. Doesn't really tell us much though, doesn't mean the increased VRAM is responsible for me not having issues. Could have been a game bug that's been fixed, driver issue that's been fixed, maybe their game files were corrupt (unless they tried redownloading), who knows.