How Bad Is Dust For PC Components?

Aegon Lannister
Go to solution Solved by wolfmcbeard,

I'll admit I only properly clean my machines including consoles maybe once a year, and while the dust get's thick, I've never had anything fry or damage stuff from dust and dog hair build up.
If It seems my machine gets hotter than it should, I'll clean it then.
Do it every couple of months if you want to keep things looking pretty and keep in mind stuff mentioned in the earlier posts regarding your own environment and unique dust situations.

I am planning on buying Deepcool Macube 110 but my concern is that there is no mesh on front panel. And also there is a a cut out beneath the front panel and some sideway small cut outs for ailflow. But as there is no mesh installed, the intake fans will pull in lots of dust. And the place where I live in, excessive dust in the air is a very common thing.

So what should I do? Should I buy this model or buy a case with a mesh?

If you live in a dusty environment then definitely get a case with some kind of filter.  Dust isn't harmful by itself (as long as it doesn't have conductive materials in it) but unless you're going to be opening your case and cleaning it regularly it will pile up which can affect cooling and is a bitch to clean

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

2 hours ago, Aegon Lannister said:

I am planning on buying Deepcool Macube 110 but my concern is that there is no mesh on front panel. And also there is a a cut out beneath the front panel and some sideway small cut outs for ailflow. But as there is no mesh installed, the intake fans will pull in lots of dust. And the place where I live in, excessive dust in the air is a very common thing.

It is better to deal with periodic dust cleaning than trying to solve a thermal problem with a closed off pc case.
In which the latter usually means either :
1. Buying a new case
2. Drilling / DIYing some holes for airflow
3. Opening up the side panels / front panels / both (Which means a whole lot more dust than a mesh without filter anyway)
4. Intentionally making your PC parts performing not at their max capacity.

Plus, you can always DIY a dust filter.
The cheapest option is to use a used stocking, stretched.
There's also a commercial fan filter you can buy, with size ranging from 120mm to 360mm, or custom sized

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

25 minutes ago, Aegon Lannister said:

Normal dust really isn't that bad if you clean your PC every few months. If it's metal dust (metal shop) or corrosive dust ( can happen when you live very close to the ocean) it gets a bigger problem 

Dust is a problem when you are in a humid enviroment

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

It can range from being a mildly annoying eyesore to making your pc not work till you clean it (ive revived multiple boards by just spraying IPA on the socket)

Ive personally never bothered with a dust filter or anything like that since i run an open bench but after a year or 2 there doesnt seem to be much dust buildup at all, just some small specks here and there, could just be because i run a 3.3k rpm fan on my cooler though

Just clean your pc every few months and you are fine, if you want convenience you could just have high rpm fans that for daily you can set at normal speeds but when you wanna clean dust just max out the speed and watch that dust fly while your pc sounds like a plane about to take off though this is an option you can only get with niche fans or used server fans

53 minutes ago, Aegon Lannister said:

Clean it out with some compressed air once in a while and you are good. Either use a compressor or get a pc duster machine. Dont bother with cans 4 of em is enough to get a duster and 6 is enough to pay for a small compressor

As noted, depends on what kind of dust. Common house dust is just dead skin cells and by itself (and with modern computers), mainly harmless. You would need to have extremely bad airflow case and long time of not cleaning it to have major issues.

But addition to special dusts mentioned above, dust with any heavy particles like sand etc. will cause harm. With corrosion, both mechanical and chemical, to plastics, to rubbers, to exposed contacts.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

17 hours ago, LWM723 said:

It's not as big a deal as some here make it out to be.

When I was in HS, we had to literally replace the entire computer in the Art department's ceramic lab at least twice a year.

This, however, is a rather unusual circumstance. The dust there was really concentrated, constant, and I think it might have been conductive. Was typical for a PSU to short out internally, and basically fry the entire machine.

"Don't fall down the hole!" ~James, 2022

"If you have a monitor, look at that monitor with your eyeballs." ~ Jake, 2022

I'll admit I only properly clean my machines including consoles maybe once a year, and while the dust get's thick, I've never had anything fry or damage stuff from dust and dog hair build up.
If It seems my machine gets hotter than it should, I'll clean it then.
Do it every couple of months if you want to keep things looking pretty and keep in mind stuff mentioned in the earlier posts regarding your own environment and unique dust situations.

Ryzen 5 5600X - MSI B550 Mag Tomahawk - Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro SL 3200 (4x8) - EVGA RTX2060 XC Gaming 12gig - Crucial P2 250gb nvme ssd (OS) - WD Blue 1tb sata hdd (general storage) - Seagate Barracuda 4tb sata hdd (games) - iBuypower Element Reflect

for fluid baring is can be but i think most fans dont use that anymore so... also if you smoke that will make the dust sticky, besides that nothing. if you left it and never clean it for the life time of the pc it probably like maybe 5c hotter...

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

How do you clean dust if its stuck on your laptop keyboard and the surround areas?

Ive personally seen a machine with at least 2 inches of dust on the bottom of it. The owner had it for 10 years and forgot about it in his Woodshop. The machine was running almost 24/7 with exception to a few power outages over the years. All things considered as long as theres nothing conductive in the dust itself, it really isnt the worst thing on the planet. 

Marline
Top Loop:
Thermaltake Pacific PR2U Dual 5.25" Bay D5 Pump/Resorvior Combo / EK ZMT Tubing / A mixture of Chrome Plated Brass Rotary Fittings Bit Fenix and Alpha Cool / Alphacool NexXxos 280mm 45mm Thick Copper Pass-through Radiator / Alphacool NexXxos 140mm 45mm Thick Copper Radiator / XSPC G1/4 1/2ID Chrome Compression Fittings / Freeze Mod AM4 CPU Waterblock / 3x Noctua Redux 140mm fans
The Bottom: 
Custom Made 2mm Thick Steel PSU Shroud / Aqua Computer Aqua Tube POM Reservoir / Alphacool Eisdeck 5 w/D5 655 Pump / EK ZMT Tubing / Alphacool 45° Chrome Plated Brass Rotary Fittings / Bitfenix 90° Chrome Plated Brass Rotary Fittings / Alphacool Chrome Plates Brass Pass Through Fittings / Koolance QD3 Quick Disconnects / Bitfenix Full Cover Water Block 2080ti / Alphacool NexXxos 200mm 45mm Thick Copper Radiator / Noctua Chromax 200mm Fan / The fluid I used for both was EK Cryofuel Acid Green
Computer Specs:
Thermaltake F31 Suppressor / Ryzen 9 3950X / 32gb G. Skill 3200mhz RAM / Asus B550-E motherboard / Zotac RTX 2080 ti 11gb / EVGA 1000 GS PSU / Samsung 970 Evo Gen3 NVMe SSD / Western Digital SN850X Gen 4 NVMe SSD / 4x PNY 120 gb SSDs in RAID 0 / 1x Spectre 512gb SSD / 1x Patriot 240gb SSD / 1x 1Tb Western Digital Black 7200RPM HDD / 1x 2Tb Seagate 5400RPM HDD / Windows 10