WHALE LAN EVENT - IT'S OVER!! (Thank You to Everyone that Attended!!!)

Chase Douglas

Is the whale ticket still going to be a thing? Also if I were thinking about getting a whale ticket, but also wanted to bring my s/o who definitely will not want a whale ticket is that something that would make sense in terms of seating etc?

Ethernet cable should be included in the ticket price. 

Saves you the hassle of debugging bad cables and most people don't have ready made cables that are at least 25ft. 

The organizers would know better how the tables are laid out and how the cabling is done, so they could bulk order patch cables of various lengths and know for sure they work.

You can buy 1000ft / 305 meters of cheap cat6 CCA cable for under $100 canadian - that's 2.5$ per 25 ft,... -  for example 89$ for https://www.amazon.ca/1000F-Ethernet-Cable-Network-1000Ft/dp/B018JZZB1K/ and the plugs are pennies -   ready made patch cables are probably $10+ at such lengths.

Wouldn't be surprised if people will come without cables anyway, just plain forgetting, and then you still have to make cables on the premises or have them buy them at a much higher price from local IT stores.

And hopefully you guys will have some access points strategically placed around the room, as some people will probably come with laptops that don't have ethernet but could still play some games through wireless.

Anyway, maybe it's just me, but it seems rushed to me, or maybe I was misinformed, but I heard about this on WAN show and I see tickets on sale on 20th for event on 29-31st ... that's only about a  week before the event 

People often need more than a week to make plans, maybe request a day off (friday or monday) from work, shuffle things around, discuss with other family members if they have other commitments over the weekend, change those to other dates etc ... in the case of a kid, you're not only changing that kid's plans but also the chaperone's plans.

Basically it doesn't look quite so fan friendly to announce at such late time - maybe I'm wrong and I was just out of the loop about this.

43 minutes ago, mariushm said:

Anyway, maybe it's just me, but it seems rushed to me, or maybe I was misinformed, but I heard about this on WAN show and I see tickets on sale on 20th for event on 29-31st ... that's only about a  week before the event 

People often need more than a week to make plans, maybe request a day off (friday or monday) from work, shuffle things around, discuss with other family members if they have other commitments over the weekend, change those to other dates etc ... in the case of a kid, you're not only changing that kid's plans but also the chaperone's plans.

Basically it doesn't look quite so fan friendly to announce at such late time - maybe I'm wrong and I was just out of the loop about this.

They addressed this on the WAN show 2 weeks ago: 

1 hour ago, mariushm said:

People often need more than a week to make plans, maybe request a day off (friday or monday) from work,

Thats exactly why its announced so late.

They dont want big masses of people coming to this event.

Linus said that it shouldnt be a LTX or something like that.

Its just a "small" LAN party 😄

I swear they said it would be at least accessible before 12?

Ok so I have to know, what did a whale ticket get you? I see they are sold out but I wanna know what they paid for

Woo! got my ticket and an office tour. Here's to CA customs letting me thru on time.

I am assuming for how long the event is there is In and Out Privileges? to you know sleep?

I actually live within public transiting distance of the event (approx 2 hours away by bus/skytrain). I don't have a ride so I'm bringing my own rig on the bus XD

2 minutes ago, draftingish said:

I am assuming for how long the event is there is In and Out Privileges? to you know sleep?

Based on the "40 hours of straight gaming" they mentioned, sleep is optional but I assume you'll be able to leave and return, doors may be closed for some set time overnight though if they don't have 24hr security. 

1 minute ago, LinuxPony said:

I actually live within public transiting distance of the event (approx 2 hours away by bus/skytrain). I don't have a ride so I'm bringing my own rig on the bus XD

Ooof, maybe carpooling is worth while... mind you for safety reasons I bet they would be against suggesting that.

13 minutes ago, Ravendarat said:

Ok so I have to know, what did a whale ticket get you? I see they are sold out but I wanna know what they paid for

They build you a PC and you get to keep it. I would like to see as well as I didn't really read before I bought one and I would like to see what it said.

12 hours ago, mariushm said:

Ethernet cable should be included in the ticket price. 

Saves you the hassle of debugging bad cables and most people don't have ready made cables that are at least 25ft. 

The organizers would know better how the tables are laid out and how the cabling is done, so they could bulk order patch cables of various lengths and know for sure they work.

You can buy 1000ft / 305 meters of cheap cat6 CCA cable for under $100 canadian - that's 2.5$ per 25 ft,... -  for example 89$ for https://www.amazon.ca/1000F-Ethernet-Cable-Network-1000Ft/dp/B018JZZB1K/ and the plugs are pennies -   ready made patch cables are probably $10+ at such lengths.

Wouldn't be surprised if people will come without cables anyway, just plain forgetting, and then you still have to make cables on the premises or have them buy them at a much higher price from local IT stores.

And hopefully you guys will have some access points strategically placed around the room, as some people will probably come with laptops that don't have ethernet but could still play some games through wireless.

It's fairly standard to not provide ethernet cables, we'll have extra if people forget.

So I didn't click the link to the waiver when it first came up and now I can't find it on my tickets... will I get another email with it from you guys or am I screwed 😬

3 minutes ago, asd1o1 said:

So I didn't click the link to the waiver when it first came up and now I can't find it on my tickets... will I get another email with it from you guys or am I screwed 😬

Check your confirmation email, but we'll also send out reminders!

29 minutes ago, Ravendarat said:

Updated post to include ticket info. whale tickets say sold out but that includes people with it in their cart, so its visible on the forum at least.

so do I have to come right at setup on Friday or can I arrive early on Saturday? I'm not sure I want to stay overnight and deal with trying to sleep there.

I remember Linus mentioned on WAN that there will be no on-site parking available. I imagine that is still the case. Any recommendations on how to handle transit? Is there a nearby parking lot? Get an Uber / friend to drop off / etc? 

P.S. wtb Whale Lan discord role, pls and ty ❤️

35 minutes ago, LinuxPony said:

so do I have to come right at setup on Friday or can I arrive early on Saturday? I'm not sure I want to stay overnight and deal with trying to sleep there.

You can show up whenever, we just provide a few additional hours of load-in time before events start so people can show up early if they want to experience the whole thing.

We'll have some activities/tournaments on the Friday, but Saturday will be the bulk.

As for load-out, internet is cut off at 10:00am on Sunday and the last of our activities will end a bit before that.

Just now, wizphil said:

I remember Linus mentioned on WAN that there will be no on-site parking available. I imagine that is still the case. Any recommendations on how to handle transit? Is there a nearby parking lot? Get an Uber / friend to drop off / etc? 

P.S. wtb Whale Lan discord role, pls and ty ❤️

No on-site, some street parking should be available. Maybe my discord is bugging out, but I don't see your name in the Discord. We'll get that sorted if it doesn't show up soon.

On 7/20/2022 at 4:10 AM, Chase Douglas said:

x1 ~$4,500 PC

May I suggest laser etching the whale logo on to the case glass panel for the PCs

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

I totally get if this is only ticketed members only, is it okay to stop by, say hi, buy some merch and leave? I don't have a computer to bring with me and can't really stay for the event. Or should I wait for the the screwdriver pop up whenever that is (that is also going to be at lab 2 apparently?) and grab stuff then? Either way I hope you guys have a lot of fun! 🙂