WHALE LAN EVENT - IT'S OVER!! (Thank You to Everyone that Attended!!!)

Chase Douglas
21 minutes ago, sweetlows said:

I totally get if this is only ticketed members only, is it okay to stop by, say hi, buy some merch and leave? I don't have a computer to bring with me and can't really stay for the event. Or should I wait for the the screwdriver pop up whenever that is (that is also going to be at lab 2 apparently?) and grab stuff then? Either way I hope you guys have a lot of fun! 🙂   

Best to wait for a future pop-up if you're interested in just getting some merch, unfortunately we don't have a guest pass or non-byoc tickets for this event.

On 7/20/2022 at 12:13 PM, LinuxPony said:

I actually live within public transiting distance of the event (approx 2 hours away by bus/skytrain). I don't have a ride so I'm bringing my own rig on the bus XD

Where are you, .message me on discord, I might be able to give you a ride.

On 7/20/2022 at 3:57 PM, Spotty said:

May I suggest laser etching the whale logo on to the case glass panel for the PCs

thats a unique add, that wouldn't have a price tag but be super cool if they did it on site

@Chase DouglasThere's a field right across the street from lab #2 that i can see on maps. Could i just set up a tent there to sleep during lan?

3 hours ago, Eternal42 said:

@Chase DouglasThere's a field right across the street from lab #2 that i can see on maps. Could i just set up a tent there to sleep during lan?

If they don't own the land, they can't answer that.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

If people are really desperate for parking, there's the KPU Tech Campus nearby with $5 all-day (not overnight) parking.

...It's about a kilometer walk though.

😞 i wanna go but can't. Got work plus have other plans -_-

Damn, I'm just learning about this now. I'll have to make sure to get my passport ready for next time. I'd love to bring along my NCase M1 sleeper build.

Any tips on transporting a water cooled PC from Seattle? 😬

Is it going to be the whole 3 days or should i book a hotel?

edit: also are we expected to buy every game played there or will there be some way to play for free?

Edited by marinacc

This kiwi girl wants to know if stickers are going to be a thing. I kinda whale... really want to have one on a few things..... I think a LTT staff member would want one too given what i saw today on the latest extreme upgrade 😉

PC: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X Gigabyte X570 UD Corsair Vengence 32gb 3200MHZ Gigabyte RTX 2070 Intel 512gb boot / Seagate 2tb spinner Windows 10 Corsair 4000D black

Fyi i am Autistic (Aspergers) so sorry for any social mistakes (im mostly okay) If you want to learn more, Just ask! 

Created an account to address the parking situation, since I'm a local.

Assuming like any other LAN party, the front of the building will be an off-load area only.

There will be tons of street parking in the surrounding blocks, neighbourhoods.  Be sure to follow the signs: aka do not park in a "no parking" zone.

The suggestion to park at KPU would have been awesome, but they do not allow overnight, so... do not do that. Impark are a bunch of jerks and will ticket you.

On 7/22/2022 at 5:16 PM, Eternal42 said:

Just set up a tent inside the LAN hall, man, lol.

SEE YA'LL THERE.

Colour me inspired, I liked the mascot so much I requested my partner crochet this for me! ^_^ This one is probably going to the staff, sorry she's definitely too busy preparing for craft fairs to make any more.

20220723_005146.jpg

20220723_005210.jpg

@Chase Douglas If, hypothetically, someone didn't have a copy of a game that was to be played for a tournament like UT GOTY or WarCraft, someone had an offline installer from GOG, would that be cool to share around at the event so everyone could play?

Hello!

For BYOC tickets, can we just come and go as we please between Friday at 6pm and Sunday?

Or once we leave we can't get back in?

Thanks!!

2 hours ago, plumptree said:

@Chase Douglas If, hypothetically, someone didn't have a copy of a game that was to be played for a tournament like UT GOTY or WarCraft, someone had an offline installer from GOG, would that be cool to share around at the event so everyone could play?

Best that you take a look at the waiver for the LAN for a full description. If you've already purchased a ticket you should see a link to it in your email, should have all the details you need on that.

4 minutes ago, JohnZe said:

Hello!

For BYOC tickets, can we just come and go as we please between Friday at 6pm and Sunday?

Or once we leave we can't get back in?

Thanks!!

Free to come/go, but don't lost the badge that you get cause that's how you'll get in and out! 

2 minutes ago, Chase Douglas said:

Free to come/go, but don't lost the badge that you get cause that's how you'll get in and out! 

I'm sold! I'll see if a couple of buddies want to join me and grab my tickets a bit later. 

How big are the desks? I play on super low sensitivity and have the mouse pad that LS featured back in 2016 , it's huge. 5ft by 3ft. I have smaller ones as well if that's too big...

If we leave for the night can we leave our computers there?

Cheers!!

Thanks for the update/reminder, looking forward to the LAN!

On 7/24/2022 at 8:06 PM, gnat said:

Created an account to address the parking situation, since I'm a local.

Assuming like any other LAN party, the front of the building will be an off-load area only.

There will be tons of street parking in the surrounding blocks, neighbourhoods.  Be sure to follow the signs: aka do not park in a "no parking" zone.

The suggestion to park at KPU would have been awesome, but they do not allow overnight, so... do not do that. Impark are a bunch of jerks and will ticket you.

Just set up a tent inside the LAN hall, man, lol.

SEE YA'LL THERE.

Also created an account because of the parking situation.

Would you be able to explain about the neighbourhood parking areas?

I checked the roads near the venue, and it looks like 54 Ave doesn't have street parking. The three closest residential streets (183A, 184A and 185st) are too narrow to even park one car. Pretty much anywhere that's parkable is like KPU distance in terms of parking.

12 hours ago, Fabricated Crucible said:

Also created an account because of the parking situation.

Would you be able to explain about the neighbourhood parking areas?

I checked the roads near the venue, and it looks like 54 Ave doesn't have street parking. The three closest residential streets (183A, 184A and 185st) are too narrow to even park one car. Pretty much anywhere that's parkable is like KPU distance in terms of parking.

53rd and 52nd avenue have street parking, but it'll fill up so walking might be necessary.

If you can fit everything but your PC in a backpack and then carry it then its not that bad, we have a some carts/wagons as well to try and assist people bringing in stuff, but an email with more details will be going out today/tomorrow with more info.

14 hours ago, JohnZe said:

I'm sold! I'll see if a couple of buddies want to join me and grab my tickets a bit later. 

How big are the desks? I play on super low sensitivity and have the mouse pad that LS featured back in 2016 , it's huge. 5ft by 3ft. I have smaller ones as well if that's too big...

If we leave for the night can we leave our computers there?

Cheers!!

Yeah the LAN will be open, once you have a badge for the event (we give you one during registration) then you can enter/leave.

Desks spaces are 4'x30" so you might have to raise your sense a bit lol

You can leave your computer, but we're can't be responsible for your hardware. however we will be marking and checking computers and monitors when they come in/out to make sure that guests enter and leave with their own gear.

I'm local and it would really love to come, but given the event duration, ventilation situation and no mask requirement, it doesn't seem safe to attend 😞

F@H

Current config:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D, Asus ROG STRIX B650E-F GAMING WIFI, 64GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB DDR5-6000 (30-40-40-96), Aorus RTX3080 TI Xtreme, 2x 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, ASUS XG-C100C, Corsair RM850x, Corsair H115i Pro RGB w/ 2,000 rpm ML fans, Fractal Design Meshify S2, NEC MultiSync EA244UHD 24" 4K

My computer was in my desk so I've had to macgyver it into a new case, this is the resulting mess, yes it posts, yes its jank, yes the side panels go back on

20220726_162227.jpg

24 minutes ago, LongGoneWind said:

My computer was in my desk so I've had to macgyver it into a new case, this is the resulting mess, yes it posts, yes its jank, yes the side panels go back on

20220726_162227.jpg

There's still a couple days before the LAN, you're going to screw everything in right?

.....right?