"Buzz, Buzz", Be that the bee? - HTC builds a “Metaverse” smartphone

Lightwreather

Summary

HTC introduces the HTC Desire 22 Pro, the first of it's lineup for 2022. Starting at £399, it offers amazing features such as Buzz words! Namely, "Metaverse" and "NFTs".
It has a Snapdragon 695, a 120 Hz, 6.6-inch, 2412×1080 LCD, 8GB of RAM, 128GB of storage, and a 4520 mAh battery. It has Android 12, a fingerprint reader, wireless charging, a microSD slot, and an IP67 water-resistance rating, which HTC only describes as "splash proof." For cameras, you have a 65 MP main camera, a 13 MP ultrawide, 5 MP depth sensor, and 32 MP front camera. HTC's spec sheet also lists "Face ID" as a feature, which is an Apple trademark.

image.png.766924d13f062797f3a735e7a691de38.png

image.png.8fbe835d006ce0f64dddcfb8642cb891.png

Quotes

The latest from the company is the HTC Desire 22 Pro, a 399 British pound (~$486) mid-ranger that represents the company's first smartphone of 2022.

HTC says this phone will somehow help you "enter the metaverse," as "the phone to carry you into the future."  It's roughly used to mean "VR-related." The phone itself does not seem to have any actual VR features. HTC's latest VR goggles, the Vive Flow, use an Android phone as the controller and can show the phone screen inside the VR environment. This phone comes with that Vive Flow controller app, but you can install it on any Android phone that supports miracast and get the same features.

HTC actually launched the "Vive Arts NFT store" a few months ago, and this phone has an app for it called the Vive Wallet. 

HTC describes its NFT store as "designed for the arts and culture," and in this case, it showed someone viewing a picture of a Cat Mona Lisa from their smartphone.

So far, the only confirmed countries for availability seem to be the UK and Taiwan. In the UK, the HTC Desire 22 Pro is up for preorder now and will ship August 1.

My thoughts

Wow, this is just sad. To think that this company was one of the pioneers of android itself, being brought to a new low.

Gimmicky marketing aside, this just seems to be another generic mid-range smartphone, so yea, Literally nothing noteworthy about this phone. 

On the other hand, those cat interpretations of those paintings are so cute

Sources

ArsTecnica

HTC

"A high ideal missed by a little, is far better than low ideal that is achievable, yet far less effective"

If you think I'm wrong, correct me. If I've offended you in some way tell me what it is and how I can correct it. I want to learn, and along the way one can make mistakes; Being wrong helps you learn what's right.

Didn't Hipster Troll Carwash mobile division die a long time ago?

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

I almost thought they would be selling vives with crypto.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

I'm so confused. Didn't Google buy out HTC, or at least their whole smartphone division? 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

On 6/29/2022 at 5:20 PM, Middcore said:

I'm so confused. Didn't Google buy out HTC, or at least their whole smartphone division? 

Only parts of HTC, not the entire company.

__

Do you guys realise that HTC stands for High Tech Computer? I think what they meant was that they are high while producing computer tech.

On 6/29/2022 at 1:03 PM, Dreckssackblase said:

wow a midrange phone with a preinstalled crypto wallet app. The innovation at htc is off the scales. /s

And there is a High chance that phone will only work with that crypto wallet.

----

I think they are just doing it for the MEME'S

Like: Look at us we have a cryptophone where you can buy all your cryptopics to show to all you cryptopeeps, to show to your cryptobuds, 

[with them later releasing a NORMAL version of this phone without the Crypto/metaverse bloatware]

Its Either gonna be praised by the CryptoShills OR it will die a miserable death, due the lack of sales.

╔═════════════╦═══════════════════════════════════════════╗
║__________________║ hardware_____________________________________________________ ║
╠═════════════╬═══════════════════════════════════════════╣
║ cpu ______________║ ryzen 9 5900x_________________________________________________ ║
║ GPU______________║ ASUS strix LC RX6800xt______________________________________ _║
║ motherboard_______ ║ asus crosshair formulla VIII______________________________________║
║ memory___________║ CMW32GX4M2Z3600C18 ______________________________________║
║ SSD______________║ Samsung 980 PRO 1TB_________________________________________ ║
║ PSU______________║ Corsair RM850x 850W _______________________ __________________║
║ CPU cooler _______ ║ Be Quiet be quiet! PURE LOOP 360mm ____________________________║
║ Case_____________ ║ Thermaltake Core X71 __________________________________________║
║ HDD_____________ ║ 2TB and 6TB HDD ____________________________________________║
║ Front IO__________   ║ LG blu-ray drive & 3.5" card reader, [trough a 5.25 to 3.5 bay]__________║
║ OS_______________ ║ Windows 10 PRO______________________________________________║
╚═════════════╩═══════════════════════════════════════════╝

They already have some "super secure encrypted phone" targeted at crypto users so this isn't much of a surprise. Although, it is kinda a blow to HTC's reputation - used to make some of the best phones out there, now just following the trend at the worst possible time... perhaps this would have made sense a few months ago before the massive crash?

9 minutes ago, Mel0nMan said:

it is kinda a blow to HTC's reputation - used to make some of the best phones out there, now just following the trend at the worst possible time...

Just like Ubisoft.

11 minutes ago, Mel0nMan said:

perhaps this would have made sense a few months ago before the massive crash?

At this point it's pretty much a fantasy of business people.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566