Why do people put up Linus being a bully?

timmy2shoess

Why do people let Linus treat them like shit? I don't care if you're "friends" with your employees, you don't call your employees idiot's or stupid. Do you not realize what power you have over your employees? How long would you keep someone employed if they talked to you like that? "You sound like an idiot today. I didn't realize you are so stupid." I'm so fucking tired of watching entitled management talk shit to employees under the guise of friendship.  Just because you pay people doesn't give you the right to talk down to them. Do better.

4 minutes ago, Neroon said:

Is that an actual quote? In what context?

Luke was sick and doing lan show from home and because of being sick wasn't at 100% and Linus simply commented on the fact.

I guess some people can't differentiate between friendly banter and being mean.

The worst manager I've had was perfectly cordial. I was told I was an idiot in the most HR approved way possible.   

The best manager I've had sometimes made jokes.     

The first one had me working at 2AM with anxiety, not accomplishing much and picking at issues which were immaterial. The second one gave me free scope to get things done and make change. The only time I saw him mad was in my defense and when he wrote a grad school letter of recommendation, it was glowing. He's currently trying to get me to join his team at a different company and he referred me in the past.    

There's a big difference between a joke and being a bully.

3900x | 32GB RAM | RTX 2080

1.5TB Optane P4800X | 2TB Micron 1100 SSD | 16TB NAS w/ 10Gbe
QN90A | Polk R200, ELAC OW4.2, PB12-NSD, SB1000, HD800

Luke isn't "an employee", he's a longtime friend who also happens to work there. Big difference.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

1 hour ago, Kilrah said:

Luke isn't "an employee", he's a longtime friend who also happens to work there. Big difference.

He’s still paid though 

6 hours ago, Ababba said:

Luke was sick and doing lan show from home and because of being sick wasn't at 100% and Linus simply commented on the fact.

Oh wow... yeah the guy obviously don't know anything about their relationship.

Have you ever watched one of, say, the Intel Extreme Tech Upgrades videos where the employees roast Linus constantly?

Stop projecting your insecurities on to other people's relationships.

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

Some people don't understand this kind of jokes.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

Its called a media personality.

How the heck does anybody know how Linus treats his employees in real Life? Seriously. Yeah, Linus comes off like he got beat up a lot at the playground when he was a kid. Never met the guy. Might just be an act. Anthony comes off as an exact opposite, but for all we know they are the exact opposite in real life.

Dealing with adversity is a part of life. If you can't deal with it, and shy away, don't complain that you're poor, or that you never achieved your dreams. If you know who you are and where you're going, insults will not faze you. Get tough, because life only gets harder.

there is still a "pecking"order..

Of course this is part of the "persona" on TV, and for camera most of it. 

in real life, you have to accept as a leading person, that you cannot participate the same way in banter as you use too, you might try, but especially with larger groups, you get hit by so many issues, that can be created with this kind of behavior.

The power position you have, will create a false acceptance of jokes, that for some might not be fun, but "well" you are the leader, and you have the power to terminate me, so in the end the employee is less happy, but accepts it.

The same is, that YES this might work with your first employees, but the rest then "accepts" it because it is a part of the culture they joined, but that does not mean they like it, an sometime it can end up "tasting" a bit like abuse.

Culture becomes a wierd thing, where it can be polluted quite fast.

At some point you have to raise above it, accept that things are okay for your employees, but not okay for you. Also you can end in situations, where stuff has happened, and you have a hurt employee, but the one hurting, just did something that was "okay" with you, but he/she did just not read the room on when it was okay, and then it ended up being ugly.

It´s fun, because it is a "TV" show, i don´t know how it works in real life, but it actually does not feel like a pleasant working enviroment, there is sometimes this WIERD feeling, on some of the employees "wearing" a mask more than being them selves, again it is on camera, so it is not something you can really conclude on, because if you put me on camera, i personally would look like somebody had kidnapped me.

so the "you just don´t understand the jokes" that is the wierd things, the bigger the company get, the less it is okay to Joke, and it is a shame, because that is also what makes it fun, but it just creates issues. It is fun the things that can end up "hitting" you, like if you have a really good friend, and you just like.. make a bit of fun with him, maybe even his job performance, he loves it, but then "the other" person that heard it, just goes into shock because she actually believed it.

I´ve worked in highly masculine engineering divisions, with a HIGHLY dark humor, where we where fighting for survival each day, and that became the running joke, when each Vacation starts with a .. "BTW when you get back, we will have a firering round" and you have 12 of these some years.  Then we made a lot of fun with it, just because, it is not fun, but it lightened the mood, we had a female joining the team, a really great girl, and we did not know that she went home each night, just scared of her mind, loosing her job, because we joked so much about it. But to be honest, we actually needed to be that open and joking about it, to NOT be depressed when going home.

On 5/28/2022 at 4:53 AM, Ababba said:

I had this issue at the age of 9 also.

Cash Dump: 5800X. 32GB Ram. x570 motherboard. RTX 3070. 1440P screen.

Parts list: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/RJhfPX

I think that unless you are there when the cameras are off, its hard to really know what goes on in the office.

i suspect that staff retention is the biggest indicator of how staff are treated at LMG.

Yeah so my "boss" who is now my colleague, as I am a store manager like him, he used to joke with me like that all the time. I'd give it back to him. It made work that much better. Whereas previous managers I have worked under have been the exact opposite & it made work the worst place in the world.

Case: Ncase M1 V5 Black CPU: Intel Core i5 12600 MB: AORUS Z690i RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX DDR4 SSD: WD SN770 500GB | WD SN750 250GB

Cooler: Noctua NH-L9x65 GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra 8GB PSU: Corsair SF600 80+ Platinum Fans: Noctua NF-F12x 2 | Noctua NF-A9x14

I couldn't help but think of this thread and be amused while watching the new video about smartifying Linus's garage doors, where Jake mocks Linus for saying his back hurts and calls him a tool.

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16