Fighting scams with Verified scams! - OpenSea is adding NFT copy detection and verification features

Lightwreather

Summary

OpenSea is rolling out features to “improve authenticity” on the digital marketplace, the company announced in a series of blog posts today. The updates include a new system to detect and remove copycat NFTs and an overhaul to the account verification process.

OpenSea says it’s implementing a new two-part copy detection system, noting copies make it harder for users to find authentic content. The company says it will use image recognition tech to scan NFTs on the platform and compare them with authentic collections, looking for flips, rotations, and other variants. OpenSea says human reviewers will also look at removal recommendations.

Quotes

“We’re committed to threading the needle between removing copymints and giving space for those substantively additive remixes to prosper,” the blog post reads. OpenSea says it’s already started removing offending content and will scale up the removal process in the coming weeks.

Account verification on OpenSea is also getting an update. An invite-only verification application will be available to accounts with a collection of at least 100 ETH volume, and the company says it plans to broaden eligibility soon. Collections can get a blue badge when owned by a verified account and meet the 100 ETH trading volume.

My thoughts

Well, this is most certainly welcome…… but wouldn't the whole market disappear then? I don't really know what else apart from "You should've done this ages ago"

Sources

TheVerge

Opensea Blog - One, Two

"A high ideal missed by a little, is far better than low ideal that is achievable, yet far less effective"

If you think I'm wrong, correct me. If I've offended you in some way tell me what it is and how I can correct it. I want to learn, and along the way one can make mistakes; Being wrong helps you learn what's right.

Will this do anything to combat the widespread problem of artists' work being turned into NFT's and sold without their consent or knowledge? Or is it only designed to stop copies of the same work being sold?

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

1 minute ago, Middcore said:

Will this do anything to combat the widespread problem of artists' work being turned into NFT's and sold without their consent or knowledge?

Nope

1 minute ago, Middcore said:

Or is it only designed to stop copies of the same work being sold?

Yep

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

1 minute ago, Arika S said:

Nope

Yep

Naturally. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

1 hour ago, Middcore said:

Will this do anything to combat the widespread problem of artists' work being turned into NFT's and sold without their consent or knowledge?

Nope. Their rule is "mint it first you dingus"

1 hour ago, Middcore said:

Or is it only designed to stop copies of the same work being sold?

Of course, because that removes the "counterfeit"'s that devalue their marketplace.

If anyone actually paid attention to how these NFT's even work, you're buying a signpost to an asset that can be changed at the whim of the person operating the file server. So really the OpenSea NFT's are completely worthless. You could absolutely scam someone by making the IPFS or whatever is hosting it change the actual file so that "scanning" passes, but the counterfeit stays up because that one pixel change is only shown to non-opensea addresses.

It's the oldest trick in the book that scummy SEO and scummy advertisers have been using for well over a decade. They make their websites or ads highly visible in search results by loading a lot of words into the page only when search engines visit, but when humans view it with a web browser, none of keyword spam is visible. Bait-and-Switch.

Like one has to be absolutely naive, or have the mental facilities of a 3 year old to not understand how much of a scam NFT's are.

So this is only to prevent copycat Pyramid scheme NFT's from selling on opensea's

While they themselves do little to nothing about actual copyright theft. where NFT scammers steal the logo's of famous youtubers?

╔═════════════╦═══════════════════════════════════════════╗
║__________________║ hardware_____________________________________________________ ║
╠═════════════╬═══════════════════════════════════════════╣
║ cpu ______________║ ryzen 9 5900x_________________________________________________ ║
║ GPU______________║ ASUS strix LC RX6800xt______________________________________ _║
║ motherboard_______ ║ asus crosshair formulla VIII______________________________________║
║ memory___________║ CMW32GX4M2Z3600C18 ______________________________________║
║ SSD______________║ Samsung 980 PRO 1TB_________________________________________ ║
║ PSU______________║ Corsair RM850x 850W _______________________ __________________║
║ CPU cooler _______ ║ Be Quiet be quiet! PURE LOOP 360mm ____________________________║
║ Case_____________ ║ Thermaltake Core X71 __________________________________________║
║ HDD_____________ ║ 2TB and 6TB HDD ____________________________________________║
║ Front IO__________   ║ LG blu-ray drive & 3.5" card reader, [trough a 5.25 to 3.5 bay]__________║
║ OS_______________ ║ Windows 10 PRO______________________________________________║
╚═════════════╩═══════════════════════════════════════════╝

48 minutes ago, rrats said:

What is an nft

image.jpeg.f56a63fbff8cea7f285509bb425afe3d.jpeg

4 hours ago, rrats said:

What is an nft

I explained it (properly and not just "lol it is stupid") here:

and here: 

On 2/1/2022 at 7:44 PM, LAwLz said:

The NFT is essentially the receipt, or proof of authenticity. 

On 2/1/2022 at 11:18 PM, LAwLz said:

People buying NFTs don't think (or at least I hope they don't think) that they are buying the rights to the image.

They are buying the hash that is tied to the artwork as proof of them having "bought the artwork", in the same way someone buying a genuine movie prop will get a certificate of authenticity.

Let's say I were to buy the prop Mjölnir hammer that was used in Avengers . If I bought that, I would get a certificate of authenticity which validates that I bought the real hammer.

Now, let's say we had a perfect replication machine. It could make 1000 exact copies of the Mjölnir hammer used in Avengers, and everyone could just get one for 0 dollars. Everyone basically had a Mjölnir hammer at home that cared about Thor. In such a scenario, what do you think is the most valuable piece when buying the authentic hammer.

A) The physical hammer itself.

B) The certificate of authenticity and what it represents

The answer is B, if everyone had an exact copy of Mjölnir at home then the certificate of authenticity would be what people put value on. A true collector don't care about having a perfect replica. They care about having the certificate of authenticity that proves that they have the real one. They don't actually put any value in the hammer. What they value is the certificate of authenticity.

Same thing with NFTs.

People spending 10,000 dollars on some ape picture aren't paying that price because they think it's a cool picture. They are spending that money because they want the "glory" of "owning" that picture, just like a collector feels pride from knowing they own the real Mjölnir that was used on set.

Also, I have alluded to it a couple of times already but I feel like the anti-NFT crowd misses it. I think that a lot of people see NFTs as a way to support their favourite artists. NFTs are just a fun way to give something back to someone donating, and once you have donated you might be able to sell it to get some money back. It's essentially donation by proxy.

When I donated to LTT (see my badges) I didn't do it because I thought I would own a piece of their studio or whatever they were taking donations for. I paid because I wanted to support Linus and Co, and it was nice of them to give me a badge as a token of appreciation. If someone on the forum offered me let's say 1000 dollars for the badge because they really wanted it, I would sell it to them. I can't do that since the badge isn't an NFT but you get the point.

A lot of people like thinking that they are super clever for realizing that NFTs are "worthless" and "pointless", but the thing is that they have missed the entire point of them.

Oh, what's this? Centralization? I thought the blockchain was supposed to guarantee authenticity on its own! I thought you could verify all transactions yourself to know for sure there hasn't been fraud or theft! I thought it made anti-counteifeiting measures obsolete!

5 hours ago, rrats said:

What is an nft

near field testectomy

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

2 hours ago, LAwLz said:

I explained it (properly and not just "lol it is stupid") here:

and here: 

A lot of people like thinking that they are super clever for realizing that NFTs are "worthless" and "pointless", but the thing is that they have missed the entire point of them.

Yes the point is wasting a mega ton of energy to create something that could be easily be made in basically any other way and it would be much more efficient and productive. Like I don't mind People trying to make some sort of brownie point certificates saying they own something but when it cost a airplanes flight worth of carbon emissions to do so then yeah I think it's more than just pointless but actually harmful.

9 hours ago, rrats said:

What is an nft

Non functioning testicle.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III