Is my CPU bottlenecking my rig + upgrade recommendations?

My current system is experiencing lackluster performance in Windows 11, and I suspect the CPU may be the issue. I get a finicky 80-90FPS at 1440P and 1080P in CODMW (w/DLSS at balanced) and Apex Legends at high-ish settings. Doom Eternal can push 165-180 at high native 2k.

• AMD Threadripper 2950X
  • RTX 3090TI
  • 32GB's of DDR4 3200
  • ASUS ROG Zenith Extreme Alpha X399

• 750W Corsair PSU

For upgrade recommendations, I'd like to use my current RAM in the new build. I am not opposed to team blue or red, but I would like to stay 12-16 cores as this is also a video/audio editing machine and something that can handle a 3080ti

24 minutes ago, DiabeticAnna said:

My current system is experiencing lackluster performance in Windows 11, and I suspect the CPU may be the issue. I get a finicky 80-90FPS at 1440P and 1080P in CODMW (w/DLSS at balanced) and Apex Legends at high-ish settings. Doom Eternal can push 165-180 at high native 2k.

• AMD Threadripper 2950X
  • RTX 3090TI
  • 32GB's of DDR4 3200
  • ASUS ROG Zenith Extreme Alpha X399

• 750W Corsair PSU

For upgrade recommendations, I'd like to use my current RAM in the new build. I am not opposed to team blue or red, but I would like to stay 12-16 cores as this is also a video/audio editing machine and something that can handle a 3080ti

The problem with threadripper was its low single core IPC. While it is a great power hose for production workloads, it isn't great for gaming. I am currently running a 12900k and it has been spectacular for me. While it does take a lot of power under full load, at idle it is pretty low though and not too high while gaming either. 12900k with ddr4 would be good and so would 5900x or 5950x for team red.

It is really just that IPC that kills threadripper and if you don't need that level of pcie lanes for expansion, then going with the consumer parts are going to be a better option. 

Do you need the PCIe lanes of Threadripper? If you do, your options are very limited. It you just need the GPU, an M.2 drive, and maybe some sort of sound card, then that's pretty easy to do. 

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gD6xH2

This is what I would probably go with. 12th gen is probably the best gaming CPUs you can buy, and the 12700 is a great band for the buck chip. As long as your current RAM isn't 8x4GB, that board should work with it, and that cooler should keep it cool. The only thing that might be a concern is the IO on the board, if you need x8/x8 support or a lot of rear USB ports, you might have to go AMD if you wanna keep your current RAM kit. 

10 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

and the 12700 is a great band for the buck chip.

The 12700F is $30 cheaper if you don't need the iGPU.

2 minutes ago, KaitouX said:

Yeah, though the iGPU is useful enough for troubleshooting that unless that $30 is make or break for your budget it's probably a good idea to get it just in case.

1 hour ago, m9x3mos said:

The problem with threadripper was its low single core IPC. While it is a great power hose for production workloads, it isn't great for gaming. I am currently running a 12900k and it has been spectacular for me. While it does take a lot of power under full load, at idle it is pretty low though and not too high while gaming either. 12900k with ddr4 would be good and so would 5900x or 5950x for team red.

It is really just that IPC that kills threadripper and if you don't need that level of pcie lanes for expansion, then going with the consumer parts are going to be a better option. 

Yeah, this was the issue I ran into. I wasn't too worried about it at the time, but this chip hasn't aged well in my usage. 12900K is a worthy competitor, though I am curious as to how well it performs in production workloads. I'd like an option that suits both worlds. I also wonder if the performance and efficiency cores have any effect. The PCIE lanes are nice, I used 8 of the gazillion USB's that are included with my motherboard; and will be adding more in the near future.

That said, I struggle finding single-core IPC numbers. What kind of difference would I be looking at with the 12900K and the 5900X vs. my 2950X? Will that make a significant improvement in the AAA games I play?

1 hour ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Do you need the PCIe lanes of Threadripper? If you do, your options are very limited. It you just need the GPU, an M.2 drive, and maybe some sort of sound card, then that's pretty easy to do. 

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gD6xH2

This is what I would probably go with. 12th gen is probably the best gaming CPUs you can buy, and the 12700 is a great band for the buck chip. As long as your current RAM isn't 8x4GB, that board should work with it, and that cooler should keep it cool. The only thing that might be a concern is the IO on the board, if you need x8/x8 support or a lot of rear USB ports, you might have to go AMD if you wanna keep your current RAM kit. 

I should have specified, I have 4x8GB DIMM's. The USB's are nice, and I do use a lot of them, I would like a motherboard comparable to mine currently, but I have to weigh AMD vs. Intel before I can make the decision. The USB's ports are nice to have, and I use a lot of them.

1 hour ago, KaitouX said:

I would prefer to have it and not need it, but the recommendation is much appreciated.

15 minutes ago, DiabeticAnna said:

Yeah, this was the issue I ran into. I wasn't too worried about it at the time, but this chip hasn't aged well in my usage. 12900K is a worthy competitor, though I am curious as to how well it performs in production workloads. I'd like an option that suits both worlds. I also wonder if the performance and efficiency cores have any effect. The PCIE lanes are nice, I used 8 of the gazillion USB's that are included with my motherboard; and will be adding more in the near future.

That said, I struggle finding single-core IPC numbers. What kind of difference would I be looking at with the 12900K and the 5900X vs. my 2950X? Will that make a significant improvement in the AAA games I play?

I should have specified, I have 4x8GB DIMM's. The USB's are nice, and I do use a lot of them, I would like a motherboard comparable to mine currently, but I have to weigh AMD vs. Intel before I can make the decision. The USB's ports are nice to have, and I use a lot of them.

I would prefer to have it and not need it, but the recommendation is much appreciated.

the bottleneck is MASSIVE, rough guess on a 3090ti is 50%, edit, it's about 35%

just a quick search, u can check single core scores between cpus to verify

12th gen i'd say is slightly faster in gaming vs zen 3 so the gap might be even bigger.

5950x 1.33v 5.05 4.5 88C 195w ll R20 12k ll drp4 ll x570 dark hero ll gskill 4x8gb 3666 14-14-14-32-320-24-2T (zen trfc)  1.45v 45C 1.15v soc ll 6950xt gaming x trio 325w 60C ll samsung 970 500gb nvme os ll sandisk 4tb ssd ll 6x nf12/14 ippc fans ll tt gt10 case ll evga g2 1300w ll w10 pro ll 34GN850B ll AW3423DW

9900k 1.36v 5.1avx 4.9ring 85C 195w (daily) 1.02v 4.3ghz 80w 50C R20 temps score=5500 ll D15 ll Z390 taichi ult 1.60 bios ll gskill 4x8gb 14-14-14-30-280-20 ddr3666bdie 1.45v 45C 1.22sa/1.18 io  ll EVGA 30 non90 tie ftw3 1920//10000 0.85v 300w 71C ll  6x nf14 ippc 2000rpm ll 500gb nvme 970 evo ll l sandisk 4tb sata ssd +4tb exssd backup ll 2x 500gb samsung 970 evo raid 0 llCorsair graphite 780T ll EVGA P2 1200w ll w10p ll NEC PA241w ll pa32ucg-k

prebuilt 5800 stock ll 2x8gb ddr4 cl17 3466 ll oem 3080 0.85v 1890//10000 290w 74C ll 27gl850b ll pa272w ll w11

25 minutes ago, DiabeticAnna said:

I assumed that was your memory config, but it wasn't guaranteed. 4x8GB should work just fine in basically any system after Zen2.

As for the USB ports, define a lot. The upper end for LGA 1700 without going DDR5 is 9 Type As and 1 Type C (B660 Aorus Master is the cheapest board with that IO). If you need more than that, You could get a USB expansion card and throw that in a PCIe slot, get a USB hub, or you can go AMD, though getting much more than that on AMD would require you to spend more than is practical on a motherboard and you'd be losing out on a bit of single thread performance.

WAIT WAIT WAIT WAITA DID I READ A 3090TI ON A 750W.

i know its unrelated to the question but SHISH i donnu if its a good idea!

and i donnu i just went from a 1920x to a 5950x with a 3090

and seen massive jumps on almost everything. i use 3600 c14 ram so i dont think its TOO diffrent from what u got so. id say jump on a 5950x cus there dumb cheap this days. i mean new is 550$ and i got mine for 450$.

cpu: 5950x

mobo: asus tuf pro x570

gpu: 3090 FE 

ram: 32gb G.SKILL Trident Z 3200 c14

psu: Antec HCP1300w Platinum (overkill i know...got it for a good price)

thats all needed right?...i didnt study for this exam....

4 hours ago, orze said:

and seen massive jumps on almost everything. i use 3600 c14 ram so i dont think its TOO diffrent from what u got so. id say jump on a 5950x cus there dumb cheap this days. i mean new is 550$ and i got mine for 450$.

... it can work, depends on the psu quality... calm down lol.

although if they go newer intel or ryzen power usage may go up and more wattage is needed (dont have the numbers handy, but its possible) 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

8 hours ago, orze said:

IKR LOL I was definitely worried about it, but its running. No crashes but definitely some throttling, on top of performance issues from the 2950X single core. Not a fun time. 5950X is cheaper than a 12900K, I just want to make sure I get one that I am not going to regret in a year or two.

I'm split between the 12900K and 5950X; can anyone weigh in?

On 5/6/2022 at 9:05 PM, DiabeticAnna said:

IKR LOL I was definitely worried about it, but its running. No crashes but definitely some throttling, on top of performance issues from the 2950X single core. Not a fun time. 5950X is cheaper than a 12900K, I just want to make sure I get one that I am not going to regret in a year or two.

I'm split between the 12900K and 5950X; can anyone weigh in?

listen. i was disappointed myself from the 12900k

as performance isnt what i was thinking ti would be at the amount of power and heat it needs

also i don't want to go ddr5 yet i want it to mature. so i went with a 5950x. there dirt cheap even new with warranty and there NO slack.

if u ask me. amd for now. id wait a gen or 2 and then if intel is back fuck yea why not.

cpu: 5950x

mobo: asus tuf pro x570

gpu: 3090 FE 

ram: 32gb G.SKILL Trident Z 3200 c14

psu: Antec HCP1300w Platinum (overkill i know...got it for a good price)

thats all needed right?...i didnt study for this exam....