The last seven Mac quarters have now been the top seven quarters ever in the history of the Mac-- and 50% of Mac purchases were first timers

Obioban
7 minutes ago, RedRound2 said:

Didn't 12th gen Intel release and become available last quarter? And AMD 6000 series? Also new version of my Asus ROG G14, G15 have also been available in the last quarter

Ryzen Mobile 6000 was Feb, Intel 12th Gen Mobile was Nov and thus not a great deal actually have it yet.

7 minutes ago, RedRound2 said:

What new Macs have released, apart from the studio?

MacBook Pro M1 Pro and Max late October, with actual availability and products (themselves).

But also no in general Q1 is not a strong sales quarter.

But your own source literally says the main cause for decline is supply issues. Easing of supply issues isn't the same thing as them being gone. Neither is Apple unaffected

Though supply constraints may be easing, Apple CEO Tim Cook warned of a $4bn to $8bn drain on sales next quarter due to supply constraints. However, he also said supply constraints in Q2 were less severe than in the December 2021 quarter. 

2 hours ago, leadeater said:

And then Chromebooks heh, yuck

Every netbook or chromebook I've seen has been the most underwhelming trash I've ever seen.

What everyone needs: A decent 1080p60 experience across all applications, videos, games.

What you get with a netbook: 800x600p60, maybe a web browser

What you get with a chromebook: 720p, maybe a web browser.

Like netbooks/chromebooks were designed to be "dumb terminals" at best, and unfortunately allowing features like WASM, WebGPU, etc into the browser has moved the goalposts from what was the then early 2000's internet, where the server did all the work, to web 2.0 where the client did all the work. And then you have things like Stadia, Netflix, Twitch and Youtube where if you don't have a hardware h264 decoder (you certainly didn't have a VP8/VP9 decoder) you are treated to the 5fps screen-tearing experience.

And considering that an iPad has been a better, longer-lasting, experience in every example, it's just a pity that school boards opt to pay the least money, and as a result children are exposed to a poor experience that makes them shun technology, due to being frustrated with these worthless devices being pushed on them. Like I'd certainly view anything with the words "chrome" in it as suspect if I had to grow up on those things.

That said, I'd not want to return to the day of carrying around 40lbs of text books, and forgetting books between classes because there's insufficient time to go shuffle though a locker on the other side of the campus.

4 minutes ago, Kisai said:

And considering that an iPad has been a better, longer-lasting, experience in every example, it's just a pity that school boards opt to pay the least money, and as a result children are exposed to a poor experience that makes them shun technology, due to being frustrated with these worthless devices being pushed on them. Like I'd certainly view anything with the words "chrome" in it as suspect if I had to grow up on those things.

Has literally anything you say anything to do with this topic? It is about Mac sales, not iPads or Chromebooks.

BTW, schools buy Chromebooks for the very same reason you company's car is not a Ferrari. It just needs to be good enough and adequately priced.

The default personal computer of earthlings is the smartphone.

The default “traditional” personal computer of earthlings is the relatively cheap ultrabook (i.e.: not the pricey thick 2021 14”/16” MBPs).

Apple has yet to release a really new (i.e.: not “just shoehorn an M1 in the old chassis”) redesigned model of the latter format. That would be the upcoming 2022 M2 Macbook Air. (or just “Macbook” if they drop the “Air”) 

What I’m trying to say, 2 years into this transition we still haven’t seen the most important Mac of all. This kind of sale stats could get even more interesting after its release.

3 hours ago, saltycaramel said:

The default “traditional” personal computer of earthlings is the relatively cheap ultrabook (i.e.: not the pricey thick 2021 14”/16” MBPs).

Apple has yet to release a really new (i.e.: not “just shoehorn an M1 in the old chassis”) redesigned model of the latter format. That would be the upcoming 2022 M2 Macbook Air. (or just “Macbook” if they drop the “Air”) 

What I’m trying to say, 2 years into this transition we still haven’t seen the most important Mac of all. This kind of sale stats could get even more interesting after its release.

Yes, an updated chassis M2 powered MBA (or just MacBook, should they rename it), designed for Apple silicon, and with a larger but still cheap bigger brother, could really kick off sales. 

5 hours ago, HenrySalayne said:

Has literally anything you say anything to do with this topic? It is about Mac sales, not iPads or Chromebooks.

BTW, schools buy Chromebooks for the very same reason you company's car is not a Ferrari. It just needs to be good enough and adequately priced.

I'm talking about the difference between a $500 ipad you can use for 7 years over a chromebook you buy for $250 and throw away after 6 months.

Kids know chromebooks are trash, and they treat them as such. Before computers were ever in classroom, woe is you who got the lab with the old typewriters. This is the same comparison. The Apple II's were a much better thing to learn to type on.

Apple has no reason to make their products as expensive as they are other than they view them as luxury products, not necessary tools.

If some regulation came down the pipe that demanded that schools minmax the lifespan of computers issued to students, you can be absolutely sure chromebooks are finished. The performance gap between the lowest end ipad and the "highest end" chromebook is rather extreme.

image.png.221db444a8fb4c5bca8cb10ffbd31488.png

That AMD A6-9220C is what is in CURRENT chromebooks. The closest thing in parity is the ipad mini 4th on an A8 cpu, which is a good 7 years old.

Apple could certainly drop the price of the M1 into a laptop (eg Macbook Air, or iPad) if they wanted the chromebook market, but then your average joe would want those cheaper computers.

Apple's history ever since the termination of the Mac Clone program in 1997, has been Apple products are for people who want a consistent, GOOD, experience. If that means it's unattractive to people who like to Tinker, that's fine with Apple. But that also means that there will never be a "low priced" macbook, imac, mac mini, ipad, or iphone because there is little profit to be had in the market that Dell and HP play in. 

You buy an Apple product because you want the Apple experience. You let kids use inferior products when you hate kids and don't consider their experience will shape their decisions about computers.

On 4/29/2022 at 2:29 PM, Lord Bloobus said:

They have to actually put fans in their devices first.

Who, Apple? Why? Have you not seen Linus' video "I fixed Apple's (good) engineering"? It doesn't need a fan, and if you care that much you can put a thermal pad in and get the same result with much better battery life.

On 4/29/2022 at 3:31 PM, BondiBlue said:

I ran Minecraft on my M1 MBP as a benchmark, and it runs better with most of the settings cranked up than my main desktop does at lower settings.

It's because Minecraft is a largely single-core application, and Apple Silicon has especially good single core performance. Unless your pc has 12th gen Intel, your M1 will walk on it in terms of single core performance (pcmark.com).

49 minutes ago, Kisai said:

I'm talking about the difference between a $500 ipad you can use for 7 years over a chromebook you buy for $250 and throw away after 6 months.

A chromebook lasts for years if its one of the decently made ones like a Thinkpad  or one of the Dell models. And I doubt a lot of school boards would approve of giving every student a $500 ipad which easily breaks and isn't repairable by IT staff. And the cost before adding a rugged case and keyboard so add maybe $100 to that, unless the school could get the parents to buy their kids an ipad, Linus made a video on that and most people though it was dumb for the school to make the parents buy them a school laptop.

19 minutes ago, DANK_AS_gay said:

Who, Apple? Why? Have you not seen Linus' video "I fixed Apple's (good) engineering"? It doesn't need a fan, and if you care that much you can put a thermal pad in and get the same result with much better battery life.

If that was the video with Linus modding the Intel powered Macbook air, then it definitely needed the fan as the cooling was some really bad engineering since Apple only used a small copper plate with no heatpipes attached to it and the copper plate wasn't touching the cpu either.

On 4/30/2022 at 11:10 AM, leadeater said:

Zoom out to talking about the SoC as a whole, how the execution units are tied together within the SoC and the memory subsystem and that's where all the application performance increases come from. Not from Apple's Firestorm cores being way ahead of Intel or AMD, and the same goes for the GPU cores too.

Isn't that the same with iOS as well? Theoretically, Apple shouldn't be getting away with 4-6GB of RAM in the iPhones, but as far as I've seen the experience is the same (in terms of "snappiness" or ease of use). The tight integration is massive for efficiency, which is simultaneously really cool and really scary, because now there is a reason for brands to make things even harder to maintain and repair, for the sake of "efficiency". (I'm looking at you, DELL) And no one will hold them accountable, and no one ever does. 

40 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

If that was the video with Linus modding the Intel powered Macbook air, then it definitely needed the fan as the cooling was some really bad engineering since Apple only used a small copper plate with no heatpipes attached to it

Linus has made 2 such videos (3 even?). One with the Intel MBA, and one with the MBA M1. The one with the M1 is the one with the "good" bit in there.

6 hours ago, Kisai said:

That said, I'd not want to return to the day of carrying around 40lbs of text books, and forgetting books between classes because there's insufficient time to go shuffle though a locker on the other side of the campus.

I do that and have a MBA M1. Everyone talks about "digital saves paper" then have me carry around physical notebooks, physical textbooks (given the choice I prefer physical textbooks, I get distracted on computers, as I could be learning so much more than some Spanish nonsense that has little to no impact on my future, vs how to flush a coolant system).

6 hours ago, Kisai said:

has been the most underwhelming trash I've ever seen.

Those ChromeBooks are fantastic for the price. My school got them second hand (at a discount due to usage, of course) from an already poor public school (same with our bleachers lol, private school =/= rich), and I had a better experience with those than my Lenovo IdeaPad at 2x the brand-new cost ($400). At that price they are actually amazing. The thing with Netbooks (that I have seen) is that they were expensive and sucky, not just sucky.

1 hour ago, Kisai said:

lowest end ipad

That you can still buy from Apple?

1 hour ago, Kisai said:

That AMD A6-9220C is what is in CURRENT chromebooks.

Try the n4020/n4010 on the Intel side. 6w chip. Puke.

1 hour ago, Kisai said:

Apple products are for people who want a consistent, GOOD, experience. If that means it's unattractive to people who like to Tinker, that's fine with Apple. But that also means that there will never be a "low priced" macbook, imac, mac mini, ipad, or iphone because there is little profit to be had in the market that Dell and HP play in. 

This is demonstrated by the corners Dell and HP regularly cut to increase profits as much as possible (marking up upgrades, cheap materials, lowest bidder PSUs, proprietary everything, even in desktops).

50 minutes ago, DANK_AS_gay said:

Isn't that the same with iOS as well? Theoretically, Apple shouldn't be getting away with 4-6GB of RAM in the iPhones, but as far as I've seen the experience is the same (in terms of "snappiness" or ease of use). The tight integration is massive for efficiency, which is simultaneously really cool and really scary, because now there is a reason for brands to make things even harder to maintain and repair, for the sake of "efficiency". (I'm looking at you, DELL) And no one will hold them accountable, and no one ever does. 

Phones, and tablets too, shouldn't need that much ram. iOS just isn't a failure of an OS like Android is with massive ram bloat heh.

6 hours ago, saltycaramel said:

Which is why I'm surprised that desktop experiences in phones aren't more prevalent like Samsung Dex. If Apple made a proper desktop experience then people would be able to more comfortably live if just their iPhone (something that could have been incredible on their ipad pros instead of just screen mirroring and some app specific screen extending). And google would need a default one within Android instead of it being manufacturer specific. 

And then just have simple plug and play docks to hook up to a monitor and keyboard, or he'll even more companies start making things like the nextdock.

There was a point in time when I was using dex a my main computer for a period of about 2 weeks, it's more than enough for most people once you get over the learning curve. 

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

42 minutes ago, Arika S said:

And then just have simple plug and play docks to hook up to a monitor and keyboard, or he'll even more companies start making things like the nextdock.

Microsoft actually had this, a proper automatic desktop mode when docking their phones. Continuum was the name of this feature, it was actually rather cool concept, died along with their phones and phone OS.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/continuum

1 minute ago, leadeater said:

Microsoft actually had this, a proper automatic desktop mode when docking their phones. Continuum was the name of this feature, it was actually rather cool concept, died along with their phones and phone OS.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/continuum

i do remember this, unfortunately my old windows phone didn't have it 😞

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

1 minute ago, Arika S said:

i do remember this, unfortunately my old windows phone didn't have it 😞

Same, Windows 8 Phone OS 😢

9 hours ago, HenrySalayne said:

If you think that the schools wouldn't buy better computers if the budget allowed it then you are crazy. I personally grew up in an area where the residents voted to raise taxes to better fund the school and then we got better computers imagine that. Unfortunately not every school district can do that. Also in the US school districts are primarily funded by property taxes which makes some schools in poorer areas that have low property values end up way under funded as the amount they can get from property taxes are just way lower than areas with super high property taxes. 

1 hour ago, Brooksie359 said:

If you think that the schools wouldn't buy better computers if the budget allowed it then you are crazy. I personally grew up in an area where the residents voted to raise taxes to better fund the school and then we got better computers imagine that. Unfortunately not every school district can do that. Also in the US school districts are primarily funded by property taxes which makes some schools in poorer areas that have low property values end up way under funded as the amount they can get from property taxes are just way lower than areas with super high property taxes. 

You know the entire "Windows sucks" meta comes from those of us who had to use Windows 3.0/3.1 + 95/98/98SE/ME + NT3.51/NT4/2K/XP

Windows 3.x was awful, beyond awful. XP was the first time Windows didn't suck for hardware drivers, but still beyond sucked for security. Plug ones of those machines into a cable modem or dsl modem that doesn't have a firewall today and it'll be overrun with malware in minutes, just like it was in 2001.

What kids and teens learn on, shapes their entire outlook on what computers can be used for. So poorer school districts that had to learn on 10 year old computers that barely ran are of course going to view computers as an obstacle to doing their work.

The truth is, Chromebooks that students are forced to use are bad hardware, and gives students a bad experience. The price differential between a "high end chromebook" and a iPad Mini is not that big of a gap that a low-end chromebook is.

The only thing that is motivating me right now to get a mac is because I know someone who can discount everything by 15%, which makes the price actually competitive.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

7 hours ago, Brooksie359 said:

Always found that funding model weird. Here ours are funded based on rolling count and then weighted on decile (avg socioeconomic rating of the families). That means a school with 800 and a decile of 3 getting more funding than a school of 800 with a decile rating of 7. School servicing lower wealth families get more funding. There's also extra funding attached to students with developmental issues etc.

I had the pleasure of using the Macbook Pro with the M1 Pro a while ago, and after having used it I am not surprised that people are flocking to them.

I am not a fan of MacOS so that was a bit detrimental to the experience, but the hardware is fantastic. I am used to premium Windows laptops so it's not like I am comparing a 300 dollar Windows laptop to a 2000+ dollar Mac either.

Fantastic performance (benchmarks don't do it justice).

Great speakers.

Fantastic webcam.

Amazing display.

I think the touchpad is overhyped though. It's good, but I have had equally good ones on Windows laptops. I also missed the "touch click" or whatever you call it.

It was also way heavier than I imagined. The lack of chamfered edges also made it seem way thicker than it actually was.

If it wasn't for my hatred for MacOS, and the lack of support for x86 VMs, then it would be my next laptop for sure. 

A lot of people quote the desire for x86 VMs.  I’m curious, is that through wanting to run docker containers that only publish x86 images?

4 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

I also missed the "touch click" or whatever you call it.

? You mean haptic click feedback or something else?

23 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

I also missed the "touch click" or whatever you call it.

Tap to click? That's an option in System Preferences. 

Phobos: AMD Ryzen 7 2700, 16GB 3000MHz DDR4, ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 8GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070, 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT 1030, 1TB Samsung SSD 980, 450W Corsair CXM, Corsair Carbide 175R, Windows 10 Pro

Polaris: Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASRock X79 Extreme6, 12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080, 6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti, 1TB Crucial MX500, 750W Corsair RM750, Antec SX635, Windows 10 Pro

Pluto: Intel Core i7-2600, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASUS P8Z68-V, 4GB XFX AMD Radeon RX 570, 8GB ASUS AMD Radeon RX 570, 1TB Samsung 860 EVO, 3TB Seagate BarraCuda, 750W EVGA BQ, Fractal Design Focus G, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

York (NAS): Intel Core i5-2400, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, HP Compaq OEM, 240GB Kingston V300 (boot), 3x2TB Seagate BarraCuda, 320W HP PSU, HP Compaq 6200 Pro, TrueNAS CORE (12.0)

1 minute ago, BondiBlue said:

Yep. And three finger drag is in accessibility settings. They’re the first things I setup on Mac (along with disabling natural scroll). 

I can't freaking stand tap to click.

1 hour ago, BondiBlue said:

1 hour ago, Paul Thexton said:

Yep. And three finger drag is in accessibility settings. They’re the first things I setup on Mac (along with disabling natural scroll). 

Oh, I had no idea. Wish I had known that earlier. 

No idea how people can live without it. How do people drag things without those settings enabled? Do they press down on the touch pad while dragging their finger?