Does Linus not know how web browsers work and have worked since the early 2000's

Linus No Beard

i was just rewatching the Linux Gaming Challenge Pt.2 and when he gets to the github segment i just made me sad for him and his complete lack of basic web browser knowledge.

when you right click on a link it will only save the HTML of a website because get this you clicked save LINK as not save file as but save LINK as so it saves the link

dont think im right go to the youtube homepage and right click a thumbnail then save LINK as it wont download the video because that would be dumb just like save LINK as in github saves the HTML like on all websites github has no control over web browser standards set in the 2000's

also for the apt thing is he so incompetent as to now know that EVERY linux distro uses the same command processor hell even OSX uses it or used to use it

bash has literally no way of knowing what OS you are are using and what package manager it uses all it does is run programs and if it does not see that program then it will tell you so also i have been uosing arch for years and i have never seen any accidental apt-get install try to install some dependence because that not how bash works bash by itself is nothing more than a program that can tell you init system to make something happen and if it does not know what you said then it wont do anything but give an error

also "some scrip runner program" you mean bash

one last thing i found guides as the top google results that would have fixed his problems if he tried just saying

at least Luke knows more about using a PC hopefully Anthony will do a follow up going over these borderline incompetent mistakes im just mad because this guy who should know something about PC's and has a massive folowing is giving linux a bad name because he does not know how to google shit or how web browser have worked for the better part of 2 decades or how a command processor works even on windows if you type apt-get install it wont say use the exe or windows store he just is giving linux a hard time for no reason

i think you need to chill...

Linus nuked his pop installation because he got a wall of text and didnt read what it said in its entirety. are you saying you read the entire terms and conditions when you sign up for something? Probably not. you just click next/accept. thats the same thing linus did. there was no indication for a normal person that this command would nuke his computer. thats the point of the video. to show what its like for the normal person. This situation was Pop_os's fault, not linus. they had some problems with the dependancies which have now been fixed. 

you need to see this from the perspective of a NORMAL person who does not know how to use a computer and 99% of the time just uses their computer as a web browser. Linus uses windows, so I dont expect him to fully understand how linux works. sure, he uses it daily for all of the networking stuff etc, but still. his main system is windows. 

im going to go out on a limb and say YOU are the reason people dont use linux. 

2 minutes ago, TheBean said:

i think you need to chill...

Linus nuked his pop installation because he got a wall of text and didnt read what it said in its entirety. are you saying you read the entire terms and conditions when you sign up for something? Probably not. you just click next/accept. thats the same thing linus did. there was no indication for a normal person that this command would nuke his computer. thats the point of the video. to show what its like for the normal person. This situation was Pop_os's fault, not linus. they had some problems with the dependancies which have now been fixed. 

you need to see this from the perspective of a NORMAL person who does not know how to use a computer and 99% of the time just uses their computer as a web browser. Linus uses windows, so I dont expect him to fully understand how linux works. sure, he uses it daily for all of the networking stuff etc, but still. his main system is windows. 

I was talking about part 2 when my 90 year old great grandmother knew what he did not that clicking save LINK as saves what is behind the LINK

They had web browsers in the year 200? At least it kinda seems like it's been that long since those videos came out and you're just responding to them now?

And now a word from our sponsor: 💩

-.-. --- --- .-.. --..-- / -.-- --- ..- / -.- -. --- .-- / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. .

ᑐᑌᑐᑢ

Spoiler

▄██████                                                      ▄██▀

▄█▀   ███                                                      ██

▄██     ███                                                      ██

███   ▄████  ▄█▀  ▀██▄    ▄████▄     ▄████▄     ▄████▄     ▄████▄██   ▄████▄

███████████ ███     ███ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀████ ▄██▀ ▀███▄

████▀   ███ ▀██▄   ▄██▀ ███    ███ ███        ███    ███ ███    ███ ███    ███

██▄    ███ ▄ ▀██▄██▀    ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄███  ███▄ ▄███▄ ███▄ ▄██

▀█▄    ▀█ ██▄ ▀█▀     ▄ ▀████▀     ▀████▀     ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀

▄█ ▄▄      ▄█▄  █▀            █▄                   ▄██  ▄▀

▀  ██      ███                ██                    ▄█

██      ███   ▄   ▄████▄   ██▄████▄     ▄████▄   ██   ▄

██      ███ ▄██ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ███▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ██ ▄██

██     ███▀  ▄█ ███    ███ ███    ███ ███    ███ ██  ▄█

█▄██  ▄▄██▀    ██  ███▄ ▄███▄ ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄██  ██  ██

▀███████▀    ▄████▄ ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀     ▀████▀ ▄█████████▄

well what i said (ignoring the 1st paragraph) still applies to what you said, including your response just now. you need to stop being so damn combative. idk about everyone, but many perceive linux to be a fringe "neckbeard" OS and the way you are taking here isnt changing that image people have. 

26 minutes ago, Linus No Beard said:

i have been using arch for years

"I use arch BTW" 

Its not linus's job to know exactly how everything works, thats the fucking point of the video. hes learning, and showing you his journey. if he didnt know majaro does not come with apt and uses pacman, thats not his fault. obs not supported on majaro officially is not his fault either.

if you want to be pedantic about it, bash technically does have a way to find out what distro you are using.

ever heard of neofetch or is that just bloat to you, mr arch btw?

1 minute ago, Avocado Diaboli said:

They had web browsers in the year 200? At least it kinda seems like it's been that long since those videos came out and you're just responding to them now?

I was only watching them passively before but now i went back and i had some things to say

13 minutes ago, TheBean said:

Linux itself remains #1 reason, people who use Linux are a strong #2. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

4 minutes ago, Avocado Diaboli said:

They had web browsers in the year 200? 

I was planning this post 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

Just now, Linus No Beard said:

I was only watching them passively before but now i went back and i had some things to say

I run a homelab…. And honestly I don’t really understand how GitHub works. I know enough to run a few Ubuntu VM’s under proxmox, and my truenas array has been happy for over 5 years, but I honestly don’t really get GitHub, and I wouldn’t be able to get games working on Linux without very detailed tutorials….

All of that said, I am well beyond the PC literacy of most people. 99% of people in the world wouldn’t know what a docker container is for example - I do, I host a couple. And I still would have these issues. So saying linus is an idiot is sort of the issue with the Linux community in general; it can’t seem to get out of its own way. Being combative and adversarial over this isn’t helpful. 

The point of the video is to point out how using Linux is not intuitive to the average PC user, and I am a great example of that seeing as I am many steps above average and still find it confusing. 

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

1 minute ago, TheBean said:

"I use arch BTW" 

i said that just because it is genuinely what i use not as a name drop like the meme entails

1 minute ago, LIGISTX said:

The point of the video is to point out how using Linux is not intuitive to the average PC user, and I am a great example of that seeing as I am many steps above average and still find it confusing. 

because they use windows form when they are first in school. it is not Linux's fault for not getting a head start also Linux should not have to copy windows or how windows works look at OSX the normal windows user could not work the same in OSX without some time so why treat Linux any differently hell if you want to and you have the time you could copy windows to a tea by configuring something like KDE to mimic windows by if you take the time to learn it is you can learn it it is only less convenient because you have been using windows all your life just how someone using OSX all their life says that windows in unusable

33 minutes ago, Linus No Beard said:

at least Luke knows more about using a PC

Luke went to school to learn to code… that is why he is better at #linuxthings

Linus is much like me, a tech savvy person who really enjoys playing around with cool tech. That doesn’t make him some sort of linux expert, it makes him a very good generalist. I know a good bit about networking, little bit about simple Unix stuff, high amount about windows, and can likely fix any hardware issue you have…. But to be “good” with linux stuff you need to be pretty far into “being good at code” to do well and understand it. You don’t need to be a coder to run a linux OS, but they typically go hand in hand which is why us normal folks struggle with it. This is coming from someone who’s homelab is a multi node proxmox setup, with virtualized truenas and a good bit of home automaton, and I am not at all ashamed to say this stuff is confusing… it’s just not set up for us normal folks, yet. 

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

6 minutes ago, LIGISTX said:

All of that said, I am well beyond the PC literacy of most people. 99% of people in the world wouldn’t know what a docker container is for example - I do, I host a couple. And I still would have these issues. So saying linus is an idiot is sort of the issue with the Linux community in general; it can’t seem to get out of its own way. Being combative and adversarial over this isn’t helpful.

not saying he is an idiot just saying if you know how a web browser works you should know save LINK as saves just that the LINK not the file

1 minute ago, Linus No Beard said:

i said that just because it is genuinely what i use not as a name drop like the meme entails

because they use windows form when they are first in school. it is not Linux's fault for not getting a head start also Linux should not have to copy windows or how windows works look at OSX the normal windows user could not work the same in OSX without some time so why treat Linux any differently hell if you want to and you have the time you could copy windows to a tea by configuring something like KDE to mimic windows by if you take the time to learn it is you can learn it it is only less convenient because you have been using windows all your life just how someone using OSX all their life says that windows in unusable

I run OSX daily, it took a day or two to get used to, and I certainly don’t know the ins and outs as well as I do windows… but it’s very simple to use. It doesn’t just brick itself if you look at it funny - linux can. 

Linux is not at all set up for average users. Microsoft and apple have invested BILLIONS of dollars into making it easy to use, linux has fragmented nerds rolling code that suites their needs - which is fantastic. This is a good thing. But that doesn’t make it easy for folks who intuitively don’t understand. 

Your sort of making an argument akin to “we put the gas pedal on the left and brake on the right, I’m sorry you grew up with it differently, but you just need to get used to our way”. No…. Sorry. Everyone in the world is used to this now, if you wanted to try and change that, you need to meet then more then half way in the beginning, and slowly transition them to your new paradigm. 

1 minute ago, LIGISTX said:

Linus is much like me, a tech savvy person who really enjoys playing around with cool tech. That doesn’t make him some sort of linux expert, it makes him a very good generalist.

then he should know that save LINK as saves the link just saying

3 minutes ago, LIGISTX said:

But to be “good” with linux stuff you need to be pretty far into “being good at code” to do well and understand it. You don’t need to be a coder to run a linux OS, but they typically go hand in hand which is why us normal folks struggle with it.

not true when i started using Linux i could not even do a hello world in python and i did prety well for myself by using this one small thing called google

2 minutes ago, Linus No Beard said:

then he should know that save LINK as saves the link just saying

not true when i started using Linux i could not even do a hello world in python and i did prety well for myself by using this one small thing called google

I think your just being a hater for the sake of being a hater. I can’t do anything in python, or any language for that matter. But yes, google + friends helping me = I run a homelab and I enjoy it. 

But that doesn’t mean I’d be successful or enjoy trying to game on linux. I wouldn’t even bother trying because of the hurdles and headaches it would cause. Installing Ubuntu and running basic stuff is easy. But once you have to try and augment almost anything using command line, as soon as something doesn’t go exactly like the tutorial says, I basically go “uuuuuh, well fuck me I guess I need to find a totally other tutorial and start over and hope I didn’t break anything”. It isn’t simple… no reason trying to convince people it is.

And again, the point of the videos are to show just how not simple it is. If you need to google how to use your operative system, your operating system probably isn’t set up to be an intuitive user experience that your average person will be able to use. You can look at an iPhone and know how to use it…… because it’s extremely intuitive and user friendly. 

2 minutes ago, LIGISTX said:

Your sort of making an argument akin to “we put the gas pedal on the left and brake on the right, I’m sorry you grew up with it differently, but you just need to get used to our way”.

Yes i am because Linux is NOT Windows and it should never be.

7 minutes ago, LIGISTX said:

No…. Sorry. Everyone in the world is used to this now, if you wanted to try and change that, you need to meet then more then half way in the beginning, and slowly transition them to your new paradigm. 

Because that is what they have always been using just like how an android user would have problems on an Iphone or a mac user one windows or a console user on a pc

Linus is just another choice like these for the people who value privacy, speed, reliability, and choice.

9 minutes ago, LIGISTX said:

I run OSX daily, it took a day or two to get used to, and I certainly don’t know the ins and outs as well as I do windows… but it’s very simple to use. It doesn’t just brick itself if you look at it funny - linux can.

if Linux did just brick itself randomly (also Pop!_OS is not all of linux) then why do all of the top supercomputer use hell why does Microsoft use it on azure cloud if it truly does just randomly break. i can count on one hand the number of times my arch install has unrecoverable bricked itself windows on the other hand i could not say to save my life

13 minutes ago, LIGISTX said:

Linux is not at all set up for average users. Microsoft and apple have invested BILLIONS of dollars into making it easy to use, linux has fragmented nerds rolling code that suites their needs - which is fantastic. This is a good thing. But that doesn’t make it easy for folks who intuitively don’t understand.

Not true my grandmother uses Linux if all you need is a web browser and the ability to make and print documents it works just fine actually it works better than windows because I get lees tech questions from grandmother on linux mint than from when she was on windows

To be fair... It really should've been that simple.

You're saving what you assume is the file and it saves as the filename.extension, yet it's not. Because Github is like that.

If it saved it as a HTML file, that I would understand.

But it makes ZERO sense as to why it saves it as filename.extension.

Any other link, if I right click it, save as, it saves as HTML. Including Youtube, as OP said to do.

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.2799a4c01cf8d99a6876ad623a56ca04.png

It would be like Save As on a filename.PDF link and somehow ending up with a HTML file masquerading as a PDF.

Github is unintuitive like that to people who don't regularly use it. I sure didn't know until I found out I could click on the files and it would open a separate page on which the code was displayed, with other unrelated github UI stuff.
It's not a Windows VS Linux thing. It's just a common sense vs Github. You have to click the file link, then on the page that opens, you can right click save as, on the RAW button, to get the actual file

image.png.1332639f0eb1b95627052a5815caf5c3.png

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

9 minutes ago, LIGISTX said:

And again, the point of the videos are to show just how not simple it is. If you need to google how to use your operative system, your operating system probably isn’t set up to be an intuitive user experience that your average person will be able to use. You can look at an iPhone and know how to use it…… because it’s extremely intuitive and user friendly. 

Take your local old person and sit them in front of linux mint and windows with an open web browser and the same wallpaper assuming they know hopw to use a mouse they wont have any problems

Also by your logic me searching up how to uninstall edge and remove telemetry means that windows is unintuitive or searching up how to set a static IP in android means it is unintuitive or me searching how to apply some effect in premier pro makes it unintuitive

1 minute ago, Mel0nMan said:

I don't recall web browsers existing in the 200s, but OK

please quote i want to fix that typo just cant find it

2 minutes ago, Linus No Beard said:

please quote i want to fix that typo just cant find it

It's the title.
Which is kind of ironic, really.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

4 minutes ago, Mel0nMan said:

I don't recall web browsers existing in the 200s, but OK

i do, they were SO MUCH slower back then....

23 minutes ago, LIGISTX said:

You don’t need to be a coder to run a linux OS, but they typically go hand in hand which is why us normal folks struggle with it.

So the 50+ installations I've done have people struggling? NO.

Out the door yesterday, another laptop which could not be run with Windows 10, too little storage (30GB) and the user couldn't figure it out either. He now has a computer he can use without problems and half of the storage space now available. Another classic case, she couldn't get her assignments done with Windows on her computer. I installed Linux Mint, she completed everything and got a job, because she was now running Linux.

It does help if there is someone who knows how to set things up for a user, no coding necessary.

4 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

Github is unintuitive like that to people who don't regularly use it. I sure didn't know until I found out I could click on the files and it would open a separate page on which the code was displayed, with other unrelated stuff.

it is not unrelated it is the file and the edit window for the people that like to edit files in GitHub itself for some reason

7 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

It's just a common sense vs Github. You have to click the file link, then you can right click save as, on the RAW button, to get the actual file

No it is a thats how it should work vs how you want it to work thing as a GitHub user myself it is helpful to be able to click into a file and see syntax highlighting commit info and other associated stuff if i want the raw then i click on the raw button IMO the only thing the should do is add a raw button next to the file.

11 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

To be fair... It really should've been that simple.

You're saving what you assume is the file and it saves as the filename.extension, yet it's not. Because Github is like that.

If it saved it as a HTML file, that I would understand.

But it makes ZERO sense as to why it saves it as filename.extension.

That is a valid criticism that Microsoft (GitHubs parent company) should fix but still unless the website says other wise the web browser will just save it as what the link says by default it can be overwritten GitHub just has not done that yet