4th gen Haswell K-series

I have an i5-4590 and am noticing it's age quite well. I don't have the money to upgrade socket but would an upgrade to i7-4790k be beneficial. And does K series automatically boost higher without overclock

Any money you put into this platform is just taking money away from getting on to a modern platform where an i3 will annihilate these chips. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

By a good margin for these specific chips, yeah: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/compare.html?productIds=80815,80807

1230811693_ScreenShot2022-04-22at10_50_44AM.thumb.png.e54141c9706badd46211c5fa20e5157e.png

700Mhz higher base and boost clocks, as well as hyper-threading, should be a noticeable difference even without an OC. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

8 minutes ago, Middcore said:

Any money you put into this platform is just taking money away from getting on to a modern platform where an i3 will annihilate these chips. 

Sure, a modern low-end chip might be 50-75% faster than the i7-4790k, but if you consider how much more it would cost to upgrade your CPU, RAM and motherboard, its not good value for money if you just need a bit more CPU power.

Of course your gambling none of your other components will die tomorrow, that your cooler wont need upgrading or your PSU, but still.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

I had overclocked i7 4770k and I felt the age of the chip and upgraded 2y ago... 

So ill say it this way. If you're beginning to be unhappy with your i5 then upgrading to i7 you get maybe one extra year of life with your platform before it will start bothering you again so unless you can get the i7 for dirt cheap... don't bother. 

As was said above me, even modern i3 will annihilate the old i7 in performance. 

I would suggest saving your money for a whole platform upgrade and play with what you have right now. 

Just now, Alex Atkin UK said:

Sure, a modern low-end chip might be 50-75% faster than the i7-4790k, but if you consider how much more it would cost to upgrade your CPU, RAM and motherboard, its not good value for money if you just need a bit more CPU power.

Considering that a 4790K is going to cost over $120, and you can get a complete 12100F+H610+16GB DDR4 for about $240 ($290 if you choose a quality B660 board), I disagree. Especially if the OP only has 8GB of RAM right now, as that would then totally justify the extra cost.

Also, the 12100F has basically double the overall performance of a stock 4790K.

3 minutes ago, YoungBlade said:

Considering that a 4790K is going to cost over $120

This is the thing. The top Intel chips for previous-gen platforms always hold their "value" stupidly well, because there is always a market for people who want to make a (IMO) poor decision and "upgrade" to them without making a whole new build.

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

Everything before 8th gen is not supported for Win 11.  So keeping DDR3 and other assorted shite...is going to hold you back.

I agree with everyone else above.  If it's long enough in the tooth that you are considering an upgrade--just rip the band-aid off and upgrade everything.  Virtually every part of a PC will have drastically improved in the past 8 years.

5 minutes ago, IPD said:

Everything before 8th gen is not supported for Win 11.  So keeping DDR3 and other assorted shite...is going to hold you back.

I agree with everyone else above.  If it's long enough in the tooth that you are considering an upgrade--just rip the band-aid off and upgrade everything.  Virtually every part of a PC will have drastically improved in the past 8 years.

6th and 7th Gen Intel CPUs are supported by Windows 11 now. Microsoft changed the requirements months ago. 

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

13 minutes ago, SpookyCitrus said:

6th and 7th Gen Intel CPUs are supported by Windows 11 now. Microsoft changed the requirements months ago. 

Isn't it just for some specifically selected 6th and 7th gen chips in certain laptops? I don't think it applies to the whole stack. 

Anyway, that's irrelevant for this topic anyways. 

1 minute ago, WereCat said:

Isn't it just for some specifically selected 6th and 7th gen chips in certain laptops? I don't think it applies to the whole stack. 

Anyway, that's irrelevant for this topic anyways. 

I know it's irrelevant, I was just clarifying for the person before me that brought it up. Afaik it's the whole lineup of CPUs but is only installable via ISO file unlike 8th Gen or above that can auto upgrade/ upgrade though Windows Updater. And it's the same with Ryzen 1000 Series as well.

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Depends on the cost of the i7. If you're paying a lot for it, no, I wouldn't get it. If it's cheap? Yeah, it'd be a decent way to briefly extend the life of your computer. Just don't expect amazing leaps and bounds in performance.

37 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Of course your gambling none of your other components will die tomorrow, that your cooler wont need upgrading or your PSU, but still.

The chance of components just dying is quite low. While I don't hold onto systems for more than a couple of years, my dad holds onto them for ages, and the majority of his components all last. I build with used components, all of mine have lasted. PSU won't need upgrading if he's just swapping out a CPU, and if he was going with modern budget components they don't use much power either; likely less than what he's using now.

19 minutes ago, IPD said:

I don't really think that should be a huge consideration, especially for someone just looking for a little more longevity out of their system. People aren't going to have to switch for a few more years.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

27 minutes ago, SpookyCitrus said:

I have an i7-6700HQ that windows insists won't work.

14 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Depends on the cost of the i7. If you're paying a lot for it, no, I wouldn't get it. If it's cheap? Yeah, it'd be a decent way to briefly extend the life of your computer. Just don't expect amazing leaps and bounds in performance.

The chance of components just dying is quite low. While I don't hold onto systems for more than a couple of years, my dad holds onto them for ages, and the majority of his components all last. I build with used components, all of mine have lasted. PSU won't need upgrading if he's just swapping out a CPU, and if he was going with modern budget components they don't use much power either; likely less than what he's using now.

I don't really think that should be a huge consideration, especially for someone just looking for a little more longevity out of their system. People aren't going to have to switch for a few more years.

i am able to buy one for $40 dollars anytime I want at a local store. Also I am majorly cpu bound, maybe even ram bound so I am guessing this will help quite a bit

16 minutes ago, 675409 said:

i am able to buy one for $40 dollars anytime I want at a local store. Also I am majorly cpu bound, maybe even ram bound so I am guessing this will help quite a bit

Could always try it. $40 isn't too bad for the price of the upgrade, maybe you could get the shop to buy your old i5 off you for a very slight discount.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

2 hours ago, YoungBlade said:

Considering that a 4790K is going to cost over $120, and you can get a complete 12100F+H610+16GB DDR4 for about $240 ($290 if you choose a quality B660 board), I disagree. Especially if the OP only has 8GB of RAM right now, as that would then totally justify the extra cost.

Also, the 12100F has basically double the overall performance of a stock 4790K.

Depends on your region, I'm seeing the 4790K on eBay in the UK for almost half the price of a 12100F, about half the price it was a year or two ago.

Where are you seeing 12100F double the performance?  That surely depends on the workload which has not been described.

1 hour ago, 675409 said:

Do you have an SSD boot drive?  That makes a HUGE difference in how sluggish the PC feels.  Made my 4590 go from being painfully slow to perfectly usable, though I do have twice as much RAM.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

5 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Where are you seeing 12100F double the performance?  That surely depends on the workload which has not been described.

I said "overall performance," as in, when 100% utilized. So for rendering, code compilation, and other core heavy tasks. If you compare the two in applications like Blender, the 12100F will complete the workload in half the time, and in Cinebench it scores about double.

Yes, in games, the result will be closer today, but over time, as games use more of the CPU, the 12100F will likely settle in at around double the overall performance - when both are maxed out at 100% on all cores and threads.

2 hours ago, IPD said:

I have an i7-6700HQ that windows insists won't work.

Are you trying to upgrade it through Windows update? Or are you manually  installing with an ISO file on a flash drive? There are plenty of guides on how to do it correctly. In order to install on 6th or 7th Gen you have to use an ISO install off of a flash drive not through the updater or media creation tool.

1 hour ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Depends on your region, I'm seeing the 4790K on eBay in the UK for almost half the price of a 12100F, about half the price it was a year or two ago.

Do you have an SSD boot drive?  That makes a HUGE difference in how sluggish the PC feels.  Made my 4590 go from being painfully slow to perfectly usable, though I do have twice as much RAM.

I do have an ssd as a boot drive, ans it is at 40% capacity