2080 Super still good 2024?

Hi friends.

My plan was to purchase 7800 XT over my current 2080 Super.

But it is nor easy for me to give up almost whole my monthly sallary for graphics card.

Most games I play at 1440 high/ultra settings and I get 40-60 fps (RT off).

Most games which were made in UE 5 I get around 50 fps with highest settings.

So I saw currently good offer for Sapphire Nitro + 7800XT version but here is overprices costing 650 euros with current discount.

But I ask myself do I need better card, cuz I am completely satisfied playing older titles (2016 to 2023).

Maybe I need better CPU and Mobo (currently own 6700K and 3900X), and for same amout money I give on 7800 XT I can get good CPU+MoBo+DDR 5 RAM).

To be honest is not that I want better card but then again 40-60 fps is playable.

So need opinions, suggestions...

Please do not take offence for my apparent confusion or rudeness,it's not intent me to be like that,it's just my BPD,be nice to me,and I'll return twice better,be rude and usually I get easly pissed of...I'll try to help anyone here,as long as it's something I dealt with,and even if you think I'm rude or not polite,forgive me,  it's not me it's my BPD.

Thanks for understanding.

At the end of the day it is up to you if current performance is enough or not to be worth making that upgrade. Presuming you're pairing your 2080S with the 3900X that should still have plenty of gaming left in it if you're happy with the settings you use.

Personally, I'd consider trading off a little on the graphics setting for a 60+ baseline fps, especially in more demanding newer games. If you have VRR display and use upscaling that shouldn't be difficult and still give a great experience.

See how the market develops. Maybe consider a 5000 series CPU update along with a future GPU. I went from a 7980XE to 7800X3D not long ago. Both could game. While the newer CPU certainly helps, it isn't like my old one couldn't. Haven't done side by side tests. If fps has gone up I don't really feel it, but I do feel faster loading times and it might be more consistent performance. Given we're not far from next gen GPUs I'm holding off myself to see what they bring and decide if I want to upgrade (not need).

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Alienware AW3225QF (32" 240 Hz OLED)
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, iiyama ProLite XU2793QSU-B6 (27" 1440p 100 Hz)
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

18 minutes ago, frozensun said:

Hi friends.

My plan was to purchase 7800 XT over my current 2080 Super.

But it is nor easy for me to give up almost whole my monthly sallary for graphics card.

Most games I play at 1440 high/ultra settings and I get 40-60 fps (RT off).

Most games which were made in UE 5 I get around 50 fps with highest settings.

So I saw currently good offer for Sapphire Nitro + 7800XT version but here is overprices costing 650 euros with current discount.

But I ask myself do I need better card, cuz I am completely satisfied playing older titles (2016 to 2023).

Maybe I need better CPU and Mobo (currently own 6700K and 3900X), and for same amout money I give on 7800 XT I can get good CPU+MoBo+DDR 5 RAM).

To be honest is not that I want better card but then again 40-60 fps is playable.

So need opinions, suggestions...

Is the jump from 50FPS to 70 worth 650EUR for you ? that's the only question

If I were you playing 1440p SP games on an aging CPU I'd get a 4070 rather, DLSS will be your friend. They're priced around 550EUR and 600EUR for the Super version in mainland Europe

System : AMD R9  7950X3D CPU/ Asus ROG STRIX X670E-E board/ 2x32GB G-Skill Trident Z Neo 6000CL30 RAM ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 cooler (with 2xArctic P12 Max fans) /  2TB WD SN850 NVme + 2TB Crucial T500  NVme  + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD / Corsair RM850x PSU

Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

Assuming you are gaming on the 3900X at 1440p, getting a GPU upgrade first is still the play.

Consider the 7900 GRE if it does not cost much more than the 7800XT

08:15 of this video

The best order of upgrade would be:

1. Sell the 6700K and its associated motherboard if they are not in use. The longer you wait, the less they will sell for
  2. Buy new graphics card
  3. Sell the 2080 Super
  4. Buy 5700X3D or 5800X3D
  5. Sell the 3900X

Yeah ok guys.

No one mentioned get a job with 3k $ monthly payment.

I won't sell my current setup for bag of sugar which was back in 2016 payed 2000 euros and now probably worth no more then 250 euros.

I still play with 6700K and 2080 S.

1440P is GPU bound.

Please do not take offence for my apparent confusion or rudeness,it's not intent me to be like that,it's just my BPD,be nice to me,and I'll return twice better,be rude and usually I get easly pissed of...I'll try to help anyone here,as long as it's something I dealt with,and even if you think I'm rude or not polite,forgive me,  it's not me it's my BPD.

Get a job with 3k $ monthly payment

☣️MANHATTEN PROJECT☣️:  5800X3D. 32GB. 7900 XT.

22 minutes ago, FireyFoxiconnRageEX said:

Get a job with 3k $ monthly payment

That would conclude geting a life in Germany and in that case I would not need PC.

I am suprised no one mentioned 650 eur i a lot for 7800 XT.

1 hour ago, PDifolco said:

Is the jump from 50FPS to 70 worth 650EUR for you ? that's the only question

If I were you playing 1440p SP games on an aging CPU I'd get a 4070 rather, DLSS will be your friend. They're priced around 550EUR and 600EUR for the Super version in mainland Europe

More like jump from 50 fps to 100 fps which I would not notice...every game at 60 fps is playable.

Hell, when I was poor I played at 15 fps.

3 minutes ago, frozensun said:

That would conclude geting a life in Germany and in that case I would not need PC.

I am suprised no one mentioned 650 eur i a lot for 7800 XT.

650 Euro is a lot for a 7800 XT.

What do you want us to do? Magic you money?

10 minutes ago, frozensun said:

More like jump from 50 fps to 100 fps which I would not notice...every game at 60 fps is playable.

Hell, when I was poor I played at 15 fps.

Nah the 7800xt is around 50% faster than 2080S not double

Plus you may be CPU bottlenecked before that 

System : AMD R9  7950X3D CPU/ Asus ROG STRIX X670E-E board/ 2x32GB G-Skill Trident Z Neo 6000CL30 RAM ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 cooler (with 2xArctic P12 Max fans) /  2TB WD SN850 NVme + 2TB Crucial T500  NVme  + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD / Corsair RM850x PSU

Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

The 7800 XT is an OK card, it's in a good spot price wise (In comparison to the market right now).

The 6800 XT is it's direct competition, if you can find a 6800 XT cheaper, do that.

1 hour ago, frozensun said:

I still play with 6700K and 2080 S.

So why do you have a 3900X?

5 minutes ago, Salted Spinach said:

So why do you have a 3900X?

It is my 2nd PC I built back in 2020 for productivity which I never tried.

U happy with its performance in 2024?

2 hours ago, frozensun said:

cuz I am completely satisfied playing older titles (2016 to 2023).

You answered your own question. Yes, the 2080 Super is still good in 2024 for you.

1 hour ago, FireyFoxiconnRageEX said:

The 7800 XT is an OK card, it's in a good spot price wise (In comparison to the market right now).

The 6800 XT is it's direct competition, if you can find a 6800 XT cheaper, do that.

Not worth..450 euros asking for 6700 xt here and it is used and in uknown condition.

New is new.

2 minutes ago, frozensun said:

Not worth..450 euros asking for 6700 xt here and it is used and in uknown condition.

New is new.

Then keep using the 2080.

Didn't you make another thread like this not long ago and people said the same thing? I am pretty sure I told you to ditch the 3900X lol..

Anyways.. if you are happy then who cares what other people think?

If you don't need two PCs, I would take all of the best parts and put them in one box and sell the rest.

AMD R9 5900X | Thermalright Frozen Edge 360, 5x TL-B12, SYY-157
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 4x8GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14 1.5v
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC | WD SN850, SN850X, 2x SN770, Asus Hyper M.2
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact, 2x TL-B12, TY-143

22 hours ago, frozensun said:

U happy with its performance in 2024?

What happened?

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/6700k-3900x-fps-gain.3785394/

Your 2080 Super performance is on par with the modern RTX 4060. With a upgrade to the 7800XT, the 3900X should not be a bottleneck, but the 6700K definitely will.

And yes, I heard your complaints about your income and the 7800XT being overpriced. But no one is asking you buy a 7800XT in the first place. What made you start this post?

If you are satisfied with your 2080 Super, then stay with it?

For recent games that have DLSS support, look into the FSR modding scene. Recent mods appear to add XeSS, FSR or frame generation to breathe new life into older graphics cards. Do your own research if you are interested

18 hours ago, freeagent said:

I am pretty sure I told you to ditch the 3900X lol..

What was your thought process?

The 6700K is a 4 core CPU on a platform that has no upgrade path, no support for PCIE 4 or ReBAR.

It is utterly debilitating when modern games are being designed for current gen console's 8C/16T processors and PC ports are getting lazier by the day

2 hours ago, Salted Spinach said:

What was your thought process?

He was talking about X3D.

AMD R9 5900X | Thermalright Frozen Edge 360, 5x TL-B12, SYY-157
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 4x8GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14 1.5v
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC | WD SN850, SN850X, 2x SN770, Asus Hyper M.2
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact, 2x TL-B12, TY-143

34 minutes ago, freeagent said:

He was talking about X3D.

I see

Regardless, if he were to buy anything, he would see the most performance gain from a GPU upgrade going to his 3900X build.

It is not worth spending any more money on the 6700K. Not sure why he is so adamant in avoiding the 3900X...

So what do I want now?

Probably from you confirmation that X570 and 3900X is still going strong in 2024.I played games on my 2nd rig with good old 6700K and 2080 Super.

Now 3900X in my opinion is a joke CPU (saw an offer for used one for 130 euros).

Seems I am a victim of Intel/AMD whenever they release new platform each 3-4 years I pay 3-4 of my monthly income to get it.

And to make things worse, I barely use that PC.

On 5/19/2024 at 7:15 PM, frozensun said:

Move the 2080 Super to your 3900X build and sell the 6700K build together with the X570.

You are clearly only using one PC. Keep all the best parts and sell off everything else.

It does not matter that you are not getting back anywhere near what you spent to buy them in the first place.

What matters is that you make the best single PC from that parts you have available, and recoup some money by selling off everything you are not using.

You will stop being upset about the resale value of your unnecessary purchases, if you stop making unnecessary purchases in the first place.

Make it a point to lengthen the time between upgrades, and upgrade ONLY YOUR BEST PC. This way you will have more money to afford something that will remain relevent for longer.