"Smart TV's get even more ads" VIZIO Introduces Jump Ads to Connect Linear TV With Streaming

darknessblade

Summary

VIZIO introduced a beta program for an innovative new cross-platform viewing solution called Jump Ads, designed to bridge the gap between linear TV and streaming services.

Quotes

Jump Ads give participating programmers and brands the ability to present an interactive overlay at the conclusion of linear TV programs, directing viewers into a supporting app on VIZIO’s operating system to continue their viewing experience.

FOX, the first partner to test the feature, is placing Jump Ads at the end of the premiere episode for its new docu-comedy “Welcome to Flatch.” The Jump Ads will prompt viewers to continue watching additional episodes of the program or catch up on past episodes on the FOX Now App, where FOX is streaming the first seven episodes of the season on-demand the same day as the premiere. This allows viewers to seamlessly extend their viewing experience with a single click of a button, enhancing the smart TV experience for both viewers and content providers alike.

My thoughts

This is a absolutely VILE and disgusting feature, why would you want EVEN more ads, when watching TV. 

Nothing good comes from this feature for consumers, as it will only benefit TV-manufacturers, and TV-Channels like FOX. CBC, and so on.

This is also exactly why you should NEVER enable the smart features of a smart TV, or even give said TV even a  ms of internet access.

If there is no internet access, the TV cannot show any ads at all.

Sources

https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20220331005913/en/VIZIO-Introduces-Jump-Ads-to-Connect-Linear-TV-With-Streaming

https://www.pcgameshardware.de/Fernseher-Hardware-134500/News/Vizio-mit-Bannerwerbung-im-Laufe-einer-TV-Sendung-1392530/

https://www.digitaltveurope.com/2022/04/04/vizio-launches-jump-ads-cross-platform-viewing-solution/

https://martechseries.com/tv-advertising/vizio-introduces-jump-ads-to-connect-linear-tv-with-streaming/

https://www.adweek.com/adweek-wire/vizio-introduces-jump-ads-to-connect-linear-tv-with-streaming/

╔═════════════╦═══════════════════════════════════════════╗
║__________________║ hardware_____________________________________________________ ║
╠═════════════╬═══════════════════════════════════════════╣
║ cpu ______________║ ryzen 9 5900x_________________________________________________ ║
║ GPU______________║ ASUS strix LC RX6800xt______________________________________ _║
║ motherboard_______ ║ asus crosshair formulla VIII______________________________________║
║ memory___________║ CMW32GX4M2Z3600C18 ______________________________________║
║ SSD______________║ Samsung 980 PRO 1TB_________________________________________ ║
║ PSU______________║ Corsair RM850x 850W _______________________ __________________║
║ CPU cooler _______ ║ Be Quiet be quiet! PURE LOOP 360mm ____________________________║
║ Case_____________ ║ Thermaltake Core X71 __________________________________________║
║ HDD_____________ ║ 2TB and 6TB HDD ____________________________________________║
║ Front IO__________   ║ LG blu-ray drive & 3.5" card reader, [trough a 5.25 to 3.5 bay]__________║
║ OS_______________ ║ Windows 10 PRO______________________________________________║
╚═════════════╩═══════════════════════════════════════════╝

grandpa don't care he just wants a cheap tv he can watch CNN on 

That i feel is who they want to buy these tvs, people who will probably be impression by the ads, not power users   

Sounds about right, Ads and Data is the business right there

We got TLC selling data like Facebook and now Vizio cramming ads like that. Shows that consumers that use These cheap tvs and their Smart features realize none of that until it gets annoying to them, and even if they do they try to live with, it's like Facebook and Instagram and TikTok st this point, people live with it for the Sake of convenience

Make sure to quote me if you want me to respond

Turn your Mobile VR or PSVR Headset into a working 6DoF SteamVR one guide/tutorial (below):

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My PC

selling tv viewing data has been a big business long before smart tv's, its just a lot more invasive now 

I must have bought my smart TV before the craze of adding ads into absolutely everything.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

13 minutes ago, Arika S said:

I must have bought my smart TV before the craze of adding ads into absolutely everything.

my brother bought a Smart TV recently and uses the features, ugh

to it's credit he chose an LG so I'm not scared about the shady stuff TV Manufacturers do lately

Make sure to quote me if you want me to respond

Turn your Mobile VR or PSVR Headset into a working 6DoF SteamVR one guide/tutorial (below):

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My PC

Urgh, another idea that the industry is likely to follow. Not that I ever bough a Vizio, but they are definitely not getting my money in the next decade.

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

23 minutes ago, Arika S said:

i have a 2021 hisense a7g (the "emerging market" version of a u7g, srsly thats what it says in the service menu region setting) 

No ads at all, just the default youtube suggestions when you hover over the youtube app on the home screen

But i do get free bollywood movies on demand! and SPORTS!

I think its the budget end of tvs that have this (iirc a phone amazon sold a few years back had an ad supported model cheap)

Just now, leham said:

i have a 2021 hisense a7g (the "emerging market" version of a u7g, srsly thats what it says in the service menu region setting) 

No ads at all, just the default youtube suggestions when you hover over the youtube app on the home screen

I think its the budget end of tvs that have this (iirc a phone amazon sold a few years back had an ad supported model cheap)

I have a "smart" TV as well, have it 5 years now, and in all those 5 years my "smart" TV never even saw a single second of internet access.

If I want to watch Youtube on my tv, I use my mediacenter PC.

NO ads, and every show, movie and video I want.

║__________________║ hardware_____________________________________________________ ║
║ cpu ______________║ ryzen 9 5900x_________________________________________________ ║
║ GPU______________║ ASUS strix LC RX6800xt______________________________________ _║
║ motherboard_______ ║ asus crosshair formulla VIII______________________________________║
║ SSD______________║ Samsung 980 PRO 1TB_________________________________________ ║
║ PSU______________║ Corsair RM850x 850W _______________________ __________________║
║ CPU cooler _______ ║ Be Quiet be quiet! PURE LOOP 360mm ____________________________║
║ Case_____________ ║ Thermaltake Core X71 __________________________________________║
║ HDD_____________ ║ 2TB and 6TB HDD ____________________________________________║
║ Front IO__________   ║ LG blu-ray drive & 3.5" card reader, [trough a 5.25 to 3.5 bay]__________║
║ OS_______________ ║ Windows 10 PRO______________________________________________║

28 minutes ago, GorujoCY said:

Sounds about right, Ads and Data is the business right there

We got TLC selling data like Facebook and now Vizio cramming ads like that. Shows that consumers that use These cheap tvs and their Smart features realize none of that until it gets annoying to them, and even if they do they try to live with, it's like Facebook and Instagram and TikTok st this point, people live with it for the Sake of convenience

I have one of first 4K Smart TV's and I use none of its features in the end. At least it has a very good image.

18 minutes ago, GorujoCY said:

my brother bought a Smart TV recently and uses the features, ugh

to it's credit he chose an LG so I'm not scared about the shady stuff TV Manufacturers do lately

Just want to point out that LG also shoves ads into their TVs.

https://www.theverge.com/tldr/2021/3/10/22323790/lg-oled-tv-commercials-content-store

Anyway, I don't really get the hate for Smart TVs. Smart TVs are an entire category and blindly hating on all of them is kind of dumb. It's like hating graphics cards because you once bought a GT 710 and it didn't perform well.

I got a Philips Android TV and I am very pleased with it. Google did make it way worse when they changed their launcher to include ads, but you can change the launcher to one that doesn't include ads, so it is not the end of the world. The benefit of having things like Netflix, Youtube (SmartTubeNext), Kodi and other streaming services built into the TV is worth the minor downsides if you ask me.

I miss the days of dumb TV.  Wish I could buy a 4K “dumb” TV.

Desktop

Y4M1-II: AMD Ryzen 9-5900X | Asrock RX 6900XT Phantom Gaming D | Gigabyte RTX 4060 low profile | 64GB G.Skill Ripjaws V | 2TB Samsung 980 Pro + 4TB 870 EVO + 4TB SanDisk Ultra 3D + 8TB WD Black + 4TB WD Black HDD | Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL-X | Antec ST1000 1000W 80+ Titanium | MSI Optix MAG342CQR | BenQ EW3270U | Kubuntu

-------------------------------

Mobile devices

Kuroneko: Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Yoga 4th (Intel i7-10510U | 16GB RAM | 1TB SSD)

41 minutes ago, Arika S said:

My LG C9 has absolutely no ads in it's smart interface and i switched off all data collection features (which are on by default, but optional). With OLED releases being small upgrades generation to generation i'm still glad i got my TV when i did. Newer models even have some features cut out for some dumb reason, like support for some audio codecs.

In terms of hardware there are innovations in the LED space and now also innovations with QD-OLED, but in terms of software we're sadly going backwards.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

13 minutes ago, YamiYukiSenpai said:

I miss the days of dumb TV.  Wish I could buy a 4K “dumb” TV.

Is a "dumb TV" really that different from a smart TV that isn't connected to the Internet, if you don't use any of the apps?

I don't really get why so many people seem to have an issue with smart TVs. 

1 minute ago, LAwLz said:

Is a "dumb TV" really that different from a smart TV that isn't connected to the Internet, if you don't use any of the apps?

It's just the extra work getting where you need to go, and fact that it complicates the remote. (I think)

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

46 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Generally no. Only issue is that their interface is usually idiotic because it's centered so hard around "internet experience" and it' soften clumsy to do other things with it, like watching regular cable TV or something. Mine at least remembers what output was last used so it always defaults to HDMI1 which has IPTV box hooked to it. I've seen some TV's that behave stupid and like to default to "Home" screen and then you need to make extra effort to get to stuff you want...

59 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

The problem is that it’s always there.  Why should I pay for something I won’t need or last? 

Shoving ads in TVs? If that were to happen to my TV, internet connection is instantly disconnected.  And I just lost some of the TV’s value.

Desktop

Y4M1-II: AMD Ryzen 9-5900X | Asrock RX 6900XT Phantom Gaming D | Gigabyte RTX 4060 low profile | 64GB G.Skill Ripjaws V | 2TB Samsung 980 Pro + 4TB 870 EVO + 4TB SanDisk Ultra 3D + 8TB WD Black + 4TB WD Black HDD | Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL-X | Antec ST1000 1000W 80+ Titanium | MSI Optix MAG342CQR | BenQ EW3270U | Kubuntu

-------------------------------

Mobile devices

Kuroneko: Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Yoga 4th (Intel i7-10510U | 16GB RAM | 1TB SSD)

55 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

I've seen some TV's that behave stupid and like to default to "Home" screen and then you need to make extra effort to get to stuff you want...

I completely get that such a TV is frustrating, but are they really that common? Mine remembers the input as well. If I watched TV when I shut the TV off, it will start up with the TV channels on as well.

I get the argument that it adds a bit of effort, and it might make the remote a bit more complicated, but is that really what bothers some people so much about smart TVs? That they might have to spend 10 minutes configuring it, and that a remote might have 3-4 extra buttons they don't need? Seems like a storm in a teacup if that's all that conjure up so much rage.

40 minutes ago, YamiYukiSenpai said:

The problem is that it’s always there.  Why should I pay for something I won’t need or last? 

Shoving ads in TVs? If that were to happen to my TV, internet connection is instantly disconnected.  And I just lost some of the TV’s value.

What is always there? The smart functions? Not if you don't use them and have the TV disconnected from the Internet.

As for paying for it, the additional cost is minimal. It's like 5-10 dollars in BOM cost, but when talking about something for 500-2000 dollars (or whatever people spend on TVs these days) it's basically a rounding error. My guess is that in a parallel universe where smart TVs were never invented, the TVs still cost the same as in this universe. The big costs associated with making a TV are not the components that makes the smart-functions work.

You aren't paying 100 dollars for smart-TV functionality that you "lose" if you disconnect it to the Internet.

If people started viewing the smart-functions as optional features you get for free with modern TVs, then I think people would be less hostile towards them.

Tell that to a person that barely had a color TV back in the day and all the fancy high tech stuff is enirely alien to them. They just want Tv that instantly turns on and just works like they used to. Whole transition to DVB-T was already a nightmare on its own and to this day still causes confusion for cable users with DVB-C...

Getting ads on a TV you already paid for seems kinda disgusting IMO, and the argument of "just spend a few extra minutes and turn the ads off" or" just don't use the smart features" is a very flawed argument, as most people aren't going to go to the trouble of turning off the ads, and people are going to use netflix and youtube apps. The only easy way to get around the ads is get an external streaming stick or use an HTPC.

1 hour ago, RejZoR said:

Tell that to a person that barely had a color TV back in the day and all the fancy high tech stuff is enirely alien to them. They just want Tv that instantly turns on and just works like they used to. Whole transition to DVB-T was already a nightmare on its own and to this day still causes confusion for cable users with DVB-C...

I can't tell if you are responding to me or someone else.

Are you making the argument that more features makes a product worse, because someone who is used to black and white TVs might get confused?

I feel like that's grasping at straws. By the same logic maybe we should get rid of multiple TV channels, or a remote control because it might be confusing to some. Hell, TVs in general might be confusing so maybe we should get rid of them entirely?

1 hour ago, Blademaster91 said:

Getting ads on a TV you already paid for seems kinda disgusting IMO, and the argument of "just spend a few extra minutes and turn the ads off" or" just don't use the smart features" is a very flawed argument, as most people aren't going to go to the trouble of turning off the ads, and people are going to use netflix and youtube apps. The only easy way to get around the ads is get an external streaming stick or use an HTPC.

Again, I am not sure if this is a response to me or someone else, but I haven't seen anyone make the argument that ads are fine because you can turn them off.

What I said was that if smart TV functions bothers you, you don't have to use them. Just, don't plug the TV into the Internet and it will function like a dumb-TV would.

I don't get the constant complaints about optional features that you have to go out of your way to use. It's like complaining about how phones are cordless these days. My suggestion is "just leave the phone plugged in if you want it to be attached to the wall".

I see a lot of hate towards smart TVs, but nobody that actually has given a valid reason to why they are worse than TVs that lack the smart functionality. Neither connecting the TV to the Internet, nor using the smart functions is a requirement. A smart TV can function exactly like a dumb TV can.

4 hours ago, Wh0_Am_1 said:

It's just the extra work getting where you need to go, and fact that it complicates the remote. (I think)

Other than maybe 4 more quick buttons for netflix, youtube, disney+ and prime video i don't see how they significantly complicate a remote.

Some remotes (samsung) have gone as far as completely removing number buttons etc, so they even go in the opposite direction and simplify their remotes.

What is extra work about NOT plugging in the ethernet or NOT connecting to your WIFI?

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

1 hour ago, Bitter said:

Great, so now I'm going to have to root my TV when I buy a new one.

That depends on if you get a android based TV, or a TV with a custom software system

17 hours ago, Stahlmann said:

Other than maybe 4 more quick buttons for netflix, youtube, disney+ and prime video i don't see how they significantly complicate a remote.

Some remotes (samsung) have gone as far as completely removing number buttons etc, so they even go in the opposite direction and simplify their remotes.

What is extra work about NOT plugging in the ethernet or NOT connecting to your WIFI?

The extra work lies in the fact that you need to navigate from the home screen, to your inputs rather than just have it default to the inputs like tvs of old.