House burned down, gaming career over

Hi guys, 

This is my first ever post here. I have been an avid LTT viewer for years, but never came over to the forum until today. 

Thought I could share what happened to me. Today at around 9:13am Scotland time, I got a call to say my housewas on fire. 

I rushed home as quickly as possible, and thankfully the fire brigade had already made it there before me. 

Me, my family and both my wonderful dogs managed to get out safely, which is the most important thing. 

Unfortunately, my gaming PC was swallowed up in the fire, along with our computer equipment I had. 

This is a sad goodbye to my Minecraft & World of Warcraft playing. It wrenches my gut to say it..

I hope everyone else is well, and have had better days than me. My thoughts today are with those in Ukraine facing far worse than this right now. 

Have a good night 

Yours, Ben

ps. I have included pictures of the devastation, along with a slightly outdated photo of what was my setup. I had since upgraded the graphics card. Doesn’t matter much now though 😂

3A7270BF-037F-4AC1-B91B-ABCD5940584B.jpeg.550a0ff5364671411627443c4113f295.jpeg

FEC28212-1075-43E7-8B51-7466D9A8E2A3.thumb.jpeg.e240d516885f324bc829419626d37d15.jpeg

82D860FA-FCF9-4375-8E25-986107491A3C.thumb.jpeg.653c27a3593e1d8a495b9ef2b7cc64e7.jpeg

4FB69F7E-655C-4C54-85E1-C3BEF676D388.thumb.jpeg.46bb3b87db52770e52344ea50b4b9936.jpeg

No homeowner's  / renter's insurance?

I don't badmouth others' input, I'd appreciate others not badmouthing mine. *** More below ***

MODERATE TO SEVERE AUTISTIC, COMPLICATED WITH COVID FOG

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

Cute lil setup sorry dude

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

14 minutes ago, An0maly_76 said:

No homeowner's  / renter's insurance?

Yeah we have contacted them, unfortunately looks like the contents payout is going to be far less than enough to cover everything. Right now, there are more important things to replace than my pc

1 hour ago, TheReal-BKM said:

Yeah we have contacted them, unfortunately looks like the contents payout is going to be far less than enough to cover everything. Right now, there are more important things to replace than my pc

You might want to get in touch with a lawyer. I suspect that if it's anything like the US, there will be people willing to work on contingency (i.e. they take ~30% of whatever extra they get you).

3900x | 32GB RAM | RTX 2080

1.5TB Optane P4800X | 2TB Micron 1100 SSD | 16TB NAS w/ 10Gbe
QN90A | Polk R200, ELAC OW4.2, PB12-NSD, SB1000, HD800

You can rebuild a computer and find a new home. You can't replace family. I've been in situations like this before where you lose everything and as awful as it is in the moment (and it is awful), you can sleep well at night knowing your loved ones are still around. 

It could have been worse, you can and will rebuild and everything will be OK. 

Work Rigs - 2015 15" MBP | 2019 15" MBP | 2021 16" M1 Max MBP | Lenovo ThinkPad T490 |

AMD Ryzen 9 5900X  |  MSI B550 Gaming Plus  |  64GB G.SKILL 3200 CL16 4x8GB |  AMD Reference RX 6800  |  WD Black SN750 1TB NVMe  |  Corsair RM750  |  Corsair H115i RGB Pro XT  |  Corsair 4000D  |  Dell S2721DGF  |

Fun Rig - AMD Ryzen 5 5600X  |  MSI B550 Tomahawk  |  32GB G.SKILL 3600 CL16 4x8GB |  AMD Reference 6800XT  | Creative Sound Blaster Z  |  WD Black SN850 500GB NVMe  |  WD Black SN750 2TB NVMe  |  WD Blue 1TB SATA SSD  |  Corsair RM850x  |  Corsair H100i RGB Pro XT  |  Corsair 4000D  |  LG 27GP850  |

38 minutes ago, cmndr said:

You might want to get in touch with a lawyer. I suspect that if it's anything like the US, there will be people willing to work on contingency (i.e. they take ~30% of whatever extra they get you).

While I have no problem with compensation for services rendered or goods tendered, this sort of defeats the purpose in this situation, I'm afraid. Not to mention involving a lawyer will only make the insurance company drag their feet and make the process take much longer than it would have.

976877494_Butt-Head-Insurance.png.9424757c4e890b6deef55cb0eb89a583.png

Edited by An0maly_76

I don't badmouth others' input, I'd appreciate others not badmouthing mine. *** More below ***

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

3 minutes ago, An0maly_76 said:

While I have no problem with compensation for services rendered or goods tendered, this sort of defeats the purpose in this situation, I'm afraid. Not to mention involving a lawyer will only make the insurance company drag their feet and make the process take much longer than it would have.

I'm going off of the US system

In a hypothetical scenario your approach might be

1. "I see your offer, it's a bit lower than I expected, I'm going to get a lawyer and see what he thinkgs"
2. If they respond with a better offer, then you might be done. If they respond with a worse offer, then lawyer up.
3. If the lawyer gets you $100k extra but charges $30k... then you're up 70k.

3900x | 32GB RAM | RTX 2080

1.5TB Optane P4800X | 2TB Micron 1100 SSD | 16TB NAS w/ 10Gbe
QN90A | Polk R200, ELAC OW4.2, PB12-NSD, SB1000, HD800

14 minutes ago, cmndr said:

I'm going off of the US system

In a hypothetical scenario your approach might be

1. "I see your offer, it's a bit lower than I expected, I'm going to get a lawyer and see what he thinkgs"
2. If they respond with a better offer, then you might be done. If they respond with a worse offer, then lawyer up.
3. If the lawyer gets you $100k extra but charges $30k... then you're up 70k.

Big if. FWIW, I live in the US, and I haven't dealt with an insurance company yet that didn't become a monumental PITA the moment I mentioned a lawyer.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

1 hour ago, cmndr said:

why would they need to contact a lawyer? it's more likely that the contents coverage wasn't updated to include new things that were bought after the policy was taken out. that's not the fault of the insurance company. they can only pay out up to what was covered in their policy.

It's nothing against OP, but people very rarely think about needing to increase their insurance cover when they buy new things.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

I think this is a cool idea.  I'd contribute what I have although I don't know the best way to organize this.

3 hours ago, An0maly_76 said:

It just so happens a member (in Scotland?) recently lost their rig in a fire and insurance isn't paying enough to replace it. Perhaps if enough of us scrounge enough through our leftovers, etc., maybe we can help soften the blow.

13 hours ago, TheReal-BKM said:

So either you didn't have the amount set high enough to cover everything (because its more expensive that way) or they are scamming you.

7 hours ago, Doilycartoperaco said:

I think this is a cool idea.  I'd contribute what I have although I don't know the best way to organize this.

Asking for donations through forums is against our rules. Same goes for organizing such things (or linking to existing donation drives), so please find another platform.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Thanks guys so much for all the comments. No donations needed, just the suggestion of it is so kind, so thanks for that. 

Wish everyone all the best 

Glad everyone is safe, that's the important part 🙂

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

14 minutes ago, IPD said:

In for what caused the fire.

We are waiting for the forensics person to come out. I believe we are expecting a call sometime tomorrow. I’m anxious if they can figure it out too. Not much left though so I’d recon it will be tough. The firemen suspected a few things, but nothings for certain

1. If you were able to afford all those things in the picture then you will easily be able to replace everything again. Considering you made the account just to post this I assume you were hoping for donations. That's literally £300 of funko pops just standing there collecting dust because you thought they would look nice in the background so you must have a decent enough income.

2. If all you were playing is World of Warcraft then there literally is no point to even get back into gaming.

12 minutes ago, Gamer Schnitzel said:

1. If you were able to afford all those things in the picture then you will easily be able to replace everything again. Considering you made the account just to post this I assume you were hoping for donations. That's literally £300 of funko pops just standing there collecting dust because you thought they would look nice in the background so you must have a decent enough income.

2. If all you were playing is World of Warcraft then there literally is no point to even get back into gaming.

Yeah, not to mention the BMW and Mercedes sitting in front of the house.

Weird post. The whole gofundme culture that exists now has me jaded.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

On 3/2/2022 at 5:12 AM, TheReal-BKM said:

Hi guys, 

This is my first ever post here. I have been an avid LTT viewer for years, but never came over to the forum until today. 

Thought I could share what happened to me. Today at around 9:13am Scotland time, I got a call to say my housewas on fire. 

I rushed home as quickly as possible, and thankfully the fire brigade had already made it there before me. 

Me, my family and both my wonderful dogs managed to get out safely, which is the most important thing. 

Unfortunately, my gaming PC was swallowed up in the fire, along with our computer equipment I had. 

This is a sad goodbye to my Minecraft & World of Warcraft playing. It wrenches my gut to say it..

I hope everyone else is well, and have had better days than me. My thoughts today are with those in Ukraine facing far worse than this right now. 

Have a good night 

Yours, Ben

ps. I have included pictures of the devastation, along with a slightly outdated photo of what was my setup. I had since upgraded the graphics card. Doesn’t matter much now though 😂

3A7270BF-037F-4AC1-B91B-ABCD5940584B.jpeg.550a0ff5364671411627443c4113f295.jpeg

FEC28212-1075-43E7-8B51-7466D9A8E2A3.thumb.jpeg.e240d516885f324bc829419626d37d15.jpeg

82D860FA-FCF9-4375-8E25-986107491A3C.thumb.jpeg.653c27a3593e1d8a495b9ef2b7cc64e7.jpeg

4FB69F7E-655C-4C54-85E1-C3BEF676D388.thumb.jpeg.46bb3b87db52770e52344ea50b4b9936.jpeg

Were they able to find the source of the fire?

Update for anyone who cares: 

The insurance inspection have determined it was some sort of electrical fault up in the loft (or attic) that has cause this fire. So much was destroyed that they can’t determine anything more. The current running theory is there was some kind of rodent that has freyed some wire.. who knows. 

We have had so much support from family and friends. We have been housed for the time being. Everyone has been so generous. 

The insurance also seems to be quite cooperative, and I believe they will pay out enough to cover all of the losses. 

I have purchased a Lenovo Legion 5 laptop that was on a pretty awesome sale in my local area that is going to serve me perfectly. It’s not the same as my previous desktop, but I am absolutely happy with it and it’s performance. Whenever we get settled back into the house I am planning on designing a new setup with an external monitor that connects to the laptop. 

I am also heading to the house sometime in the next few days to see if there are any of my Pop figures that are salvageable, so fingers crossed 🤞 

Thanks to everyone for their messages of support.