Linus tech tips "pirating" OCCT - answer from the dev [Reddit thread]

BaidDSB
46 minutes ago, LinusTech said:

No, you've really made me rethink not only this matter, but many of my life choices. 

I'm actually installing adblock on my iMac right now. 

The snark is taking me back to the BBS days of old. The nostalgia is real.

It's dumb but I think your honesty and efforts with transparency is part of why (some) in the community reacts this way. People see "I'm always doing my best to be better, just like everybody else in the World" and people somehow hear "I'm a paragon of virtue and my takes are always on point and 100% correct". Then whenever you make any sort of mistake it becomes "Ah! So you're not actually infallible? Curious."

There are lots of legitimate criticisms that can be pointed towards LMG, you, and basically every other person on Earth. The difference is that when it's brought to your attention, you actually announce to the World "Hey I might have fucked up, here's what I think the solution is. Give me your take and I'll reflect on it." Then you do reflect on it, and often admit you made a mistake when you did, and try to fix the issue. I feel like this is what everybody constantly asks for, but then react like this when it's offered? People are too keen on waiting for their "a-ha gotcha" moment than actually being a good-faith participant of a community. 

Just wanted to point out it is noticed and appreciated, as I'm sure others have told you before. I hope you keep up the growth, and I hope the community keeps holding you to account in good faith. 

Segurdod yw clod y cledd,

A rhwd yw ei anrhydedd.

Idleness is praise for the sword

and rust is its honour.

On 2/13/2022 at 3:56 PM, Annika said:

Legally speaking, Linus is not in the right.  He's making excuses because that's what a criminal does.   "Well I didn't know!"  "I was just doing it for this!"-Is not going to hold up in court unless the judge and/or others are willing to take a bribe

I must have stumbled off of LTT and into a gym class because wow that's a stretch.

I enjoy buying junk and sinking more money than it's worth into it to make it less junk.

46 minutes ago, Legitsu said:

The funny thing about mob justice is that snark is rarely helpful 

For sure. It just doesn't matter. I'm not trying to help. 

The vast majority of the people who are mad (by their own admission) contribute nothing to our business but their righteous indignation. 

Oes teh noe! The Karen shoplifter won't come into my store anymore? How will I survive this totally sensible and effective boycott?? Woe is me 😂😂😂😂

It's like non-voters complaining about government policy.

The complainers voices mean nothing to me because THEY made a conscious decision to make them mean nothing and then broadcast it. 

It's hilarious if you appreciate irony. 

24 minutes ago, LinusTech said:

For sure. It just doesn't matter. I'm not trying to help. 

The vast majority of the people who are mad (by their own admission) contribute nothing to our business but their righteous indignation. 

Oes teh noe! The Karen shoplifter won't come into my store anymore? How will I survive this totally sensible and effective boycott?? Woe is me 😂😂😂😂

It's like non-voters complaining about government policy.

The complainers voices mean nothing to me because THEY made a conscious decision to make them mean nothing and then broadcast it. 

It's hilarious if you appreciate irony. 

People should hear both sides before saying anything,

Rushing to accuse people without even hearing the response,and people easily believing accusations without evidence are huge problems in our society.

I hate to see that happening,i have seen innocent people loosing their jobs because of it.

My advice to the people on the internet:

1.Hear all sides of the story,

2.Don't be biased towards the accuser nor the accused - You weren't there and can't know what really happened,or if it even happened at all.

3.If there is no concrete evidence to any of the claims - You can't know who is right,so don't go attacking people you don't even know if they did anything wrong.

4.Be respectful,think carefully about what you are going to say.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

This thread is just an experience if I leave it at that.

My Thoughts is I’m happy LTT made it right but it never really bothered me in the first place same goes to the Adblock = Piracy. I just didn’t really care about the whole drama side of it.

I’ll probably dig myself into a whole saying it but I do agree using Adblock on YouTube is theft/piracy your taking something without pay. Which is why I don’t use Adblock.

Anyway Thanks LTT for making great videos one of my favorite channels Thanks

7 hours ago, LinusTech said:

I can handle criticism just fine when it matters.

The dev criticized our use of his product without correctly licensing it (more accurately, he criticized our use of his product without checking in beforehand). I said sorry and proposed a solution to make it up to him. As a show of good faith I immediately moved forward putting my money where my mouth is. He said "we good fam" and it was resolved. I also committed to doing better in this regard moving forward.

You are an irrelevant third party white knight. You are righteously angry about something that doesn't concern you. You don't like my attitude (fair enough) but you don't spend the time to reflect on your own behavior. What gives you the right to storm in here inserting yourself into a completely resolved issue. Why do you think it makes sense to paint me in broad strokes like "unable to admit when you do something wrong" when my post (which I know you are clever enough to read) clearly states:

"Ignorance doesn't excuse our sloppy approach to software licensing here, though. The simple fact is we pirated your software"

I don't care about your criticism because it's comically easy to dismiss. Your posts are full of easily disprovable shit like this. I'm not the only one who has noticed and I'm not the only one who has called you on it. Why haven't you changed your approach?

Dude, are you even reading my posts?

You aren't responding to my criticism at all. You aren't disproving anything I said. You're just attacking a straw man right now.

You seem to think that I had an issue with you pirating OCCT. I didn't. I even quoted my first response to this in case you had missed it. I said it was probably an oversight and that you would fix it as soon as you became aware of it, which you did.

It honestly feels like speaking to a child right now. You aren't responding to what I write and your response is essentially "no you".

I am trying to help you and I think I have done so in a nice and neutral manner. It wasn't until you started insulting me that I changed slightly changed my tone.

4 hours ago, TetraSky said:

Linus explained himself during the WAN show and essentially admitted that piracy may not have been the right word since people like you may not like the word.

This is the part I get annoyed at. Piracy was the not the right word to because adblocking isn't piracy. Piracy is an established word with a meaning that does not fit.

But instead of admitting that it was the wrong word to use, Linus essentially goes "okay I'll change my wording BECAUSE YOU ARE BUTTHURT!". That's the attitude I (and probably some other people) have a problem with.

Instead of admitting that Linus was wrong he tried to spin it to "it's you, the viewer, that's the issue, but look at how nice I am. I am changing my wording for your sake".

And instead of admitting that he was wrong he has now doubled (tripled? quadrupled?) down on his stance because he thinks that's better than admitting that he was wrong. 

And before someone says adblocking is piracy again, it isn't.

We have court cases which proves that adblocking is not piracy. You can call it many things, unethical, immoral, unfair, whatever. There are a hundred words to describe it. But piracy is not the right word.

People got annoyed at him because he did not just call it piracy incorrectly, but he also went after people who disagreed and tried to correct him.

14 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

You aren't responding to my criticism at all. You aren't disproving anything I said. You're just attacking a straw man right now.

You seem to think that I had an issue with you pirating OCCT. I didn't. I even quoted my first response to this in case you had missed it. I said it was probably an oversight and that you would fix it as soon as you became aware of it, which you did.

It honestly feels like speaking to a child right now. You aren't responding to what I write and your response is essentially "no you".

I am trying to help you and I think I have done so in a nice and neutral manner. It wasn't until you started insulting me that I changed slightly changed my tone.

Here comes another "no u". 

U ready? 

You quoted my post and addressed nothing I said while accusing me of not addressing what you're saying. How embarrassing. 

I provided concert evidence that what you said was non-factual. Why don't we start there if we're actually discussing this in good faith? 

11 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Why should he? 

This is the internet. You picked a hill to die on that makes no sense.

"If you can't take a joke, don't go on the internet" (c) a certain Youtuber

-------------------------

I have to thank every single participant in this thread for the amusing quality content, a perfect shitstorm in a bottle and trolling levels I haven't seen since I last was involved in the Eve Online politics back in 2014 😄 From the bottom of my heart, thank you. 

13 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

This is the part I get annoyed at. Piracy was the not the right word to because adblocking isn't piracy. Piracy is an established word with a meaning that does not fit.

But instead of admitting that it was the wrong word to use, Linus essentially goes "okay I'll change my wording BECAUSE YOU ARE BUTTHURT!". That's the attitude I (and probably some other people) have a problem with.

Instead of admitting that Linus was wrong he tried to spin it to "it's you, the viewer, that's the issue, but look at how nice I am. I am changing my wording for your sake".

And instead of admitting that he was wrong he has now doubled (tripled? quadrupled?) down on his stance because he thinks that's better than admitting that he was wrong. 

And before someone says adblocking is piracy again, it isn't.

We have court cases which proves that adblocking is not piracy. You can call it many things, unethical, immoral, unfair, whatever. There are a hundred words to describe it. But piracy is not the right word.

People got annoyed at him because he did not just call it piracy incorrectly, but he also went after people who disagreed and tried to correct him.

You must hate Thesauruses... (Thesaurusi? I better get this right. The exact word matters a lot to you, apparently) 

You'd be amazed. They have words in there that aren't quite identical in meaning, but are functionally similar. It's atrocious. 

I could argue about it for days. They're all like 'synonym' and I'm all like 'I think not!' 

BAM. 

This difference doesn't matter. It's like the difference between  hijacking and robbery. This ain't a court of law. Who cares. 

Functionally they are identical. I'm getting flashbacks to the whole 'omgurd downloading music is not stealing cuz the original is still intact lol' 

So we agreed on piracy because it leaves the original untouched, but fails to compensate the rights holder. 

That's so different from what we are talking about.

4 minutes ago, Arvids said:

Why should he? 

This is the internet. You picked a hill to die on that makes no sense.

"If you can't take a joke, don't go on the internet" (c) a certain Youtuber

-------------------------

I have to thank every single participant in this thread for the amusing quality content, a perfect shitstorm in a bottle and trolling levels I haven't seen since I last was involved in the Eve Online politics back in 2014 😄 From the bottom of my heart, thank you. 

I live to serve. 

I imagine the majority of folks dropping by are having about as much fun as you. 

Personally I'm having a blast. This whole thing is the ultimate storm in a teacup. I can't recall anything quite like it in all my years of doing this. 

"*sniff* you said a bad word to me that makes me feel bad and also it isn't technically right and also my mom says your dad is bad at sex and also I'm an elite sniper with 86 confirmed kills...."

I literally never said they can't use Adblock. I didn't even say I'd be mad. I said to understand the impact of not compensating people for their work.

LMG feeds over 60 families. Guess what? Adsense contributes significantly to it. You attack that revenue, you attack those families. I give exactly zero fucks how much someone's feelings are hurt cuz I said a word they didn't like when I explained this relationship.

I ain't gonna apologize for it. Ever. 

25 minutes ago, LinusTech said:

Here comes another "no u". 

U ready? 

You quoted my post and addressed nothing I said while accusing me of not addressing what you're saying. How embarrassing. 

I provided concert evidence that what you said was non-factual. Why don't we start there if we're actually discussing this in good faith? 

Honestly, I am at a loss for words here.

You seem to think I am mad at you but I'm really not. I am more shocked at how you are acting.

I did address what you said. It's just that most of your post was a strawman argument and I explained why. Your reply was based on the assumption that I was "white knighting" for the OCCT dev which I wasn't. You assumed that I was mad at you which I wasn't (and I'm still not mad). I have been trying to give constructive criticism because clearly you have ruffled the feathers of quite a few people in the last couple of weeks and I posted what I thought would be helpful changes to make.

I thought you made a honest mistake, gave you the benefit of the doubt and replied accordingly. But since then you have consciously been acting like a spoiled brat which is a lot harder to defend.

You clearly don't want advice from me but I'll give you some anyway. Feel free to ignore them or follow them.

Firstly, stop calling adblocking piracy. They are not the same things. You might think it's "just semantics" and that it doesn't matter, but it does to a lot of people. I am one of those people that think it matters, and I am clearly not alone in that.

Sometimes it's a good idea to be humble and adapt to other peoples' priorities. Even if you don't care about wording things a certain way, when you notice other people put great importance on the wording you might want to take that into consideration. You seem pretty politically correct so if you want a parallel, think of it as using the preferred pronoun of the one you are talking to. Just because you don't care which pronoun you use to someone does not mean they don't care. Same with the word piracy.

Secondly, when making an apology, it's a good idea to not apologize and then directly go into trying to justify your behaviour.

)Disclaimer: I only watch 1 hour of WAN show a week, and read this forum so I don't have a full picture of everything you say)

From what I can tell, often (always?) when you apologize you try to justify your behaviour. You did this several times in this thread by saying things like how your use of the software is more educational than corporate, and how developers gets exposure when you use the software, etc.

Those types of remarks, regardless of how sincere and well meaning they are, makes apologies come off as insincere.

I certainly think you sound insincere when you say "I am sorry for what I did, but actually I was right because..." or some variant of that. I think people like those mad at you right now would be more forgiving if you just left it at "I am sorry, I messed up" rather than try and explain why you did something.

15 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Honestly, I am at a loss for words here.

You seem to think I am mad at you but I'm really not. I am more shocked at how you are acting.

I did address what you said. It's just that most of your post was a strawman argument and I explained why. Your reply was based on the assumption that I was "white knighting" for the OCCT dev which I wasn't. You assumed that I was mad at you which I wasn't (and I'm still not mad). I have been trying to give constructive criticism because clearly you have ruffled the feathers of quite a few people in the last couple of weeks and I posted what I thought would be helpful changes to make.

I thought you made a honest mistake, gave you the benefit of the doubt and replied accordingly. But since then you have consciously been acting like a spoiled brat which is a lot harder to defend.

You clearly don't want advice from me but I'll give you some anyway.

Firstly, stop calling adblocking piracy. They are not the same things. You might think it's "just semantics" and that it doesn't matter, but it clearly does to a lot of people. I am one of those people that think it matters, and I am clearly not alone in that.

Sometimes it's a good idea to be humble and adapt to other peoples' priorities. Even if you don't care about wording things a certain way, when you notice other people put great importance on the wording you might want to take that into consideration. You seem pretty politically correct so if you want a parallel, think of it as using the preferred pronounce of the one you are talking to. Just because you don't care which pronounce you use to someone does not mean they don't care. Same with the word piracy.

Secondly, when making an apology, it's a good idea to not apologize and then directly go into trying to justify your behaviour.

Disclaimer: I only watch 1 hour of WAN show a week, and read this forum so I don't have a full picture of everything you say.

From what I can tell, you often (always?), whenever you apologize you try to justify your behaviour. You did this several times in this thread by saying things like how your use of the software is more educational than corporate, and how developers gets exposure when you use the software, etc.

Those types of remarks, regardless of how sincere and well meaning they are, makes apologies come off as insincere.

I certainly think you sound insincere when you say "I am sorry for what I did, but actually I was right because..." or some variant of that. I think people like those mad at you right now would be more forgiving if you just left it at "I am sorry, I messed up" rather than try and explain why you did something.

You seem confused... 

The pedantic Internet warriors who are mad about this don't matter to me. 

I don't need them to feel better. 

They impact me not one bit. You must've missed the part about how this is like a shoplifter boycott. 

I don't care. I will never ever care. Their feelings are hurt (simply) because they didn't like a mean word that isn't 'akshually even accurate lol'. 

I'm apparently doing this wrong because I admitted my error, rectified my mistake, committed to do better, and provided some rationale for why I did what I did. 

Once the keyboard warriors have reached my level (so far I haven't seen much of this) I would be happy to engage in a discussion about the legitimate uses of adblocking, etc - something I've not shied away from in the past in videos like the one on pihole. 

So here's an open invitation. If anyone wants to criticize my approach. Do better. Apologize for being a freeloader or privateers or whatever. Buy some merch to demonstrate you've understood and regret the harm you caused. Tell me you actually do understand that the word for it doesn't matter because it's the same thing. I'll come to the table. 

Not ready? 

That's not the actual problem? 

Didn't think so. 

1 minute ago, LinusTech said:

I live to serve. 

I imagine the majority of folks dropping by are having about as much fun as you. 

Personally I'm having a blast. This whole thing is the ultimate storm in a teacup. I can't recall anything quite like it in all my years of doing this. 

"*sniff* you said a bad word to me that makes me feel bad and also it isn't technically right and also my mom says your dad is bad at sex and also I'm an elite sniper with 86 confirmed kills...."

I literally never said they can't use Adblock. I didn't even say I'd be mad. I said to understand the impact of not compensating people for their work.

LMG feeds over 60 families. Guess what? Adsense contributes significantly to it. You attack that revenue, you attack those families. I give exactly zero fucks how much someone's feelings are hurt cuz I said a word they didn't like when I explained this relationship.

I ain't gonna apologize for it. Ever. 

I ended up going to sleep at 4am my time because I was reading the thread from start to finish and having a blast, now after 3.5 hours of sleep a can of Red Bull is staring into my soul and begging to be drunk 🤣 Oh the memories of youth, early forum moderation and IRC drama.

A lot of people are just lazy and don't want to understand basics of: law, economics, math, physics and basics of human nature.

I was really tempted to make a Brilliant of Skillshare joke here, but I'm not that good at writing jokes 😄

1 minute ago, Arvids said:

I ended up going to sleep at 4am my time because I was reading the thread from start to finish and having a blast, now after 3.5 hours of sleep a can of Red Bull is staring into my soul and begging to be drunk 🤣 Oh the memories of youth, early forum moderation and IRC drama.

A lot of people are just lazy and don't want to understand basics of: law, economics, math, physics and basics of human nature.

I was really tempted to make a Brilliant of Skillshare joke here, but I'm not that good at writing jokes 😄

I'm transported back to my time on NCIX forum man... 

You ever notice the arguments get most heated when the stakes are lowest? 

If I admitted piracy wasnt the correct word (which I did but then I apparently didn't seem remorseful enough or...?) then what? Would anything change? Lol. 

As long as the bar keeps moving there can be no victory. If there can be no victory then we might as well just enjoy the ride, eh brother? 

🎉

7 minutes ago, LinusTech said:

I don't care. I will never ever care.

People who don't care typically don't spend like 40 minutes on their live stream defending themselves, and then several hours defending themselves on the forum.

I also think you care because you have clearly gotten upset with some people and lashed out at them. Your response to Moonzy for example does not exactly exude "I don't care" vibes.

But anyway, if you don't care then I guess it's a waste of time for me to try and give you advice on how to handle it.

Before I stop replying to you in this thread (since it's clearly a waste of time since you don't care) I just want to take this opportunity to say I hope and wish that you can someday stop viewing me as an enemy. The vibe I am getting from this thread is that you assume I think a certain way because you view me as some Saturday morning cartoon character.

At least in my mind (I am sure you disagree), I am giving constructive criticism based on what I would do or like to see changed, and you interpret that as me being a hater which you need to "pwn". I think I have given pretty good advice in this thread and your replies so far have been stuff like "who cares" and "no u", which just further validates my belief that you are unable to handle critique that isn't 100% positive. I hope that you can prove me wrong on that belief someday but so far your actions just keep reinforcing it.

As Moonzy said after you had lashed out at him, good luck man. Take a deep breathe.

34 minutes ago, LinusTech said:

If I admitted piracy wasnt the correct word (which I did but then I apparently didn't seem remorseful enough or...?) then what? Would anything change? Lol. 

As long as the bar keeps moving there can be no victory. If there can be no victory then we might as well just enjoy the ride, eh brother? 

🎉

Oh yes, the small stuff is always what people latch on and decide "This is a hill I will die on" when the hill is an edge of a moat in the middle of the Netherlands 🤷‍♂️

So yeah, in my view, the fun MUST be had. And frick anyone who says a business owner of a private company has to maintain a certain public image of a Jesus (that spot is taken by Steve, the tech Jesus anyway) - what is the point in having another corporate type drone without a personal opinion, views on life and so on? Why would anyone watch a dull puppet reading out lawyer approved scripts and do "financially responsible decisions for video's"? Well, apparently some people would, but then they can go and find other places to watch that type of content and people who tow that type of line.

It is fun to watch someone who doesn't really give a damn if something isn't "profitable" or "a good idea" and just does what he wants/likes a.k.a "has a budget for doing stupid fun shit". I have a personal budget like that myself on a monthly basis and I refuse to yield it to any circumstances. Mine is just "a bit more modest" 😉

I want to build a threadripper based home server for myself, with lots of RAM, storage and have a Factorio cluster running on it. Just because. Because it's fun. Because I get kicks out of it. 

Funny fact: I originally come from the Russian segment of the internet (I'm from Baltics), I have been not only a heavy poster, but also a moderator on a few forums and there is one thing you should know about russian speaking forums: At least half the population are trolls, rule lawyering experts or will write a dissertation as a response with citations, references to scientific papers and so on. I mean, we had whole forum sections dedicated to trolling and rules A4 page long about trolling, where it's allowed, what are the limits, etc. If you didn't mute or ban at least 10 people a week on a big forum, it meant you were not moderating and your fellow moderators would raise an eyebrow and ask "Are you okay?" 🤣

Personally, I would have banned quite a few people for a month on this thread to think about their conduct and as a preventative mental health maintenance precaution, because some are clearly are having a mental breakdown and spiraling out of control 😁

10 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

At least in my mind (I am sure you disagree), I am giving constructive criticism based on what I would do or like to see changed

Yeah man I don't think 16 pages worth of internet arguments count as constructive criticism

29 minutes ago, LinusTech said:

🎉

Honestly, as a self proclaimed Pirate of 20 years, I saw your point. I use Ad lockers and never thought of it as piracy or the effect it has on someone like yourself. 

This whole thing is ridiculous in my opinion, you made a mistake with Occt and rectified it. As for your "Piracy" comments, at the very least it made people like me think of what the impact truly is. 

Just now, LAwLz said:

People who don't care typically don't spend like 40 minutes on their live stream defending themselves, and then several hours defending themselves on the forum.

I also think you care because you have clearly gotten upset with some people and lashed out at them. Your response to Moonzy for example does not exactly exude "I don't care" vibes.

But anyway, if you don't care then I guess it's a waste of time for me to try and give you advice on how to handle it.

Before I stop replying to you in this thread (since it's clearly a waste of time since you don't care) I just want to take this opportunity to say I hope and wish that you can someday stop viewing me as an enemy. The vibe I am getting from this thread is that you assume I think a certain way because you view me as some Saturday morning cartoon character.

At least in my mind (I am sure you disagree), I am giving constructive criticism based on what I would do or like to see changed, and you interpret that as me being a hater which you need to "pwn". I think I have given pretty good advice in this thread and your replies so far have been stuff like "who cares" and "no u", which just further validates my belief that you are unable to handle critique that isn't 100% positive. I hope that you can prove me wrong on that belief someday but so far your actions just keep reinforcing it.

As Moonzy said after you had lashed out at him, good luck man. Take a deep breathe.

Blah blah I'm not ready something something moved goal posts etc etc. 

I deal in facts. 

The fact is advice is cheap. I'll take yours when you actually address what I said in my last post. Show me action. 

Another fact: customers who don't pay are not customers. Their unhappiness means absolutely nothing to a business. That's not an opinion. It's just a fact. When you run a business you will understand. 

Fact: my rationale for my actions was based on years of experience working in this industry (experience I'd be happy to share with you if you weren't busy telling me how to do my job) and the posts from the OCCT dev corroborating my rationale. 

You don't like it. Ok. That's emotional. It's not fact.

I am not obligated to care about how you feel. That's another fact. You have to earn my respect.

Another fact: You completely ignored my call to action in the post you quoted because you'd have to actually DO something. Words are meaningless. Show me action.

Once that's done, if you want to have a factual conversation then you need to stop making things up. You don't get to say 'you never apologize' when I clearly do and clearly did. 

Tell u what. Go to sleep. Come back and read what you wrote. Try to strike through everything that's not actually factual and see what you're left with. 

A mad person on a forum who is mad because I used a functionally identical word you didn't like and didn't apologize even tho u really really really think I should. 

I understand you perfectly. You just aren't ever going to be the guiding voice for me that you seem to think you are because you can't discern facts from feelings and your arguments become directionless and empty. 

I block ads mainly because advertisers use them to collect data about my browsing behavior and activity,

When advertisers will stop spying on users then i will disable my ad blocker. 

31 minutes ago, LinusTech said:

Where is this argument going?

It's pointless to continue.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

6 minutes ago, Beanyfish03 said:

Honestly, as a self proclaimed Pirate of 20 years, I saw your point. I use Ad lockers and never thought of it as piracy or the effect it has on someone like yourself. 

This whole thing is ridiculous in my opinion, you made a mistake with Occt and rectified it. As for your "Piracy" comments, at the very least it made people like me think of what the impact truly is. 

Holy shit we got one. 

Again I want to make it clear that I'm not saying there isn't a time and place for blocking ads.

We've discussed it before on the show. 

All I wanted was for people to consider the impact when they make their decision. Thank you for taking the time to understand my meaning rather than getting fixated on the word I used. 

As you can see, there's a distinct lack of that sort of thing around here lately 😜

7 minutes ago, Arvids said:

Oh yes, the small stuff is always what people latch on and decide "This is a hill I will die on" when the hill is an edge of a moat in the middle of the Netherlands 🤷‍♂️

So yeah, in my view, the fun MUST be had. And frick anyone who says a business owner of a private company has to maintain a certain public image of a Jesus (that spot is taken by Steve, the tech Jesus anyway) - what is the point in having another corporate type drone without a personal opinion, views on life and so on? Why would anyone watch a dull puppet reading out lawyer approved scripts and do "financially responsible decisions for video's"? Well, apparently some people would, but then they can go and find other places to watch that type of content and people who tow that type of line.

It is fun to watch someone who doesn't really give a damn if something isn't "profitable" or "a good idea" and just does what he wants/likes a.k.a "has a budget for doing stupid fun shit". I have a personal budget like that myself on a monthly basis and I refuse to yield it to any circumstances. Mine is just "a bit more modest" 😉

I want to build a threadripper based home server for myself, with lots of RAM, storage and have a Factorio cluster running on it. Just because. Because it's fun. Because I get kicks out of it. 

Funny fact: I originally come from the Russian segment of the internet (I'm from Baltics), I have been not only a heavy poster, but also a moderator on a few forums and there is one thing you should know about russian speaking forums: At least half the population are trolls, rule lawyering experts or will write a dissertation as a response with citations, references to scientific papers and so on. I mean, we had whole forum sections dedicated to trolling and rules A4 page long about trolling, where it's allowed, what are the limits, etc. If you didn't mute or ban at least 10 people a week on a big forum, it meant you were not moderating and your fellow moderators would raise an eyebrow and ask "Are you okay?" 🤣

Personally, I would have banned quite a few people for a month on this thread to think about their conduct and as a preventative mental health maintenance precaution, because some are clearly are having a mental breakdown and spiraling out of control 😁

I don't actually get involved in moderation here. 

I want the forum to be as independent as possible other than being funded by us and sharing our name. 

That may change in the long term. Labs needs a home and this domain is super well established so it kinda makes sense to make the forum a sub section but we will see how it shakes out. 

16 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

You act like he owes you something? When in fact he owes you exactly 0. Don't agree with him? Don't engage with him or his content. 

Hounding him constantly with entitled belly aching just makes you look like an ass