Linus tech tips "pirating" OCCT - answer from the dev [Reddit thread]

BaidDSB
On 2/20/2022 at 4:19 PM, Egg-Roll said:

Yvonne was his tutor in College correct? I forget what she tutored him on, if one was English that would explain the bulk of the issues here...

I don't understand what that would explain?

Segurdod yw clod y cledd,

A rhwd yw ei anrhydedd.

Idleness is praise for the sword

and rust is its honour.

On 2/21/2022 at 2:45 PM, drewgi said:

I don't understand what that would explain?

If Linus needed to be tutored on his English it would explain why he says incendiary things like "adblocking is piracy. it is literally the same exact thing" which is technically not correct because there are legal definitions to piracy that negate what Linus says.

But of course it's all semantics. I agree with the 'spirit' of what Linus is saying. All of the current controversy is based around the fact that they disagree with Linus' arbitrary definition of piracy.

| Remember to mark Solutions! | Quote Posts if you want a Reply! |
| Tell us everything! Budget? Currency? Country? Retailers? | Help us help You! |

3 hours ago, hippocheese14 said:

If Linus needed to be tutored on his English

Let's not take an assumption someone made and run with it

Everyone needed their English to be taught at some point in their life, doesn't make sense as an argument

3 hours ago, hippocheese14 said:

All of the current controversy is based around the fact that they disagree with Linus' arbitrary definition of piracy.

He's just doing it to suit his own agenda, he's trying to manipulate his fans to make adblocking into piracy is probably what's happening here

Or he's been having some thoughts about adblocking affecting his revenue and calling it piracy is his personal way to cope with it. Who knows.

Whatever it is, he's objectively wrong and he won't admit it outright, just try to skirt around it and be rude about it

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

On 2/14/2022 at 7:43 AM, LinusTech said:

You can disagree all you want, but it's pretty standard practice.

We allow the use of our (unedited) videos in schools - even if they are for-profit and consider it to be just basic common sense. 

I wish my school would play your videos but they block youtube.

5 hours ago, Moonzy said:

Let's not take an assumption someone made and run with it

I was explaining to the previous poster, @drewgi, what @Egg-Roll meant by their "if one was English that would explain the bulk of the issues here..." comment lol.

5 hours ago, Moonzy said:

He's just doing it to suit his own agenda, he's trying to manipulate his fans to make adblocking into piracy is probably what's happening here

Or he's been having some thoughts about adblocking affecting his revenue and calling it piracy is his personal way to cope with it. Who knows.

Whatever it is, he's objectively wrong and he won't admit it outright, just try to skirt around it and be rude about it

I mean you're exactly proving the point. You have a problem with Linus' arbitrary definition of piracy.

| Remember to mark Solutions! | Quote Posts if you want a Reply! |
| Tell us everything! Budget? Currency? Country? Retailers? | Help us help You! |