As cheap as new raytracing go - RTX 3050 reviews

williamcll

Reviews for the new RTX 3050 has come out, while it costs more than the 6500XT it does have more VRAM and marginally better performance in most games. Some stores are already selling them before launch.

Quotes

I have made the order yesterday. On the website it said it's gigabyte 3050rtx oc-8gd. I thought lets try, didn't know what to expect. And what do you know it's actually the unreleased 3050rtx. The white label on the side says so too, the specs are of 3050. I haven't tried it yet but it looks like any gigabyte 30series rtx. Is it possible that this is 3050, can't it be other 30series in this box? If it is HOW? I'll keep you posted

1x8dg3honud81.png?width=540&format=png&a

My thoughts

Sucks that the price of this card is already getting a bit unstable. And since I already have a 2080 Ti I don't see myself getting this card anytime soon. Looks really good for a VR setup though, if you can afford the probably price hike that is.

Sources

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

It's good to see Nvidia finally meeting gamers where they're at with a pretty solid overall 1080p card. If you were already the type that would be fine with something like a 1660 super, then this finally gives you an option that's actually still being produced.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

After the release of the RTX 3050 I am still looking for a worthy card to upgrade to from an RX 480. This card at MSRP costs about 2.5x times what I paid for my rx480 for 30-50% additional performance. Guess I'll have to wait to grab a used 2060 super whenever the shortage stops or maybe Intel will bring something potent to the market.

Like Anthony (and no other reviewer) said, it's a gift for productivity. For a new blender user, an i5 12600+ an rtx 3050, is a gift from the gods! It can run and perform so much better than a 3 years old PC of 3 times it's price. I just wanna say, not everyone is playing games at 4k ultra. There is us that we are happy with less, and we ll do more with it

Welp, out of 3 e-stores in Spain I've checked

• 2 don't even have it. And no, I don't mean "not available". I mean it just isn't there at all. If you search for RTX3050, the card just doesn't exist, all you get are results for laptops with RTX.
  • Last one has 2 models, one at 380€ and another at 400€

Guess it may take a few days for the price to settle, but if it's already 100€+ over MSRP if you can even find it... not a great start.

Saw one going for $415 right now. 

Meanwhile the RX 6500 XT is currently available for under $300.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

Pricing in Finland seems to be 390€ (290€ 20 piece special campaign) for Palit card, 470€ for MSI, 480€ for Gigabyte and the normal Asus Dual-Dual OC-ROG-ROG OC lineup 470-560€. Stock information seems to be "we don't have any glue" so even prices could change before anything is in stock.

The good old saying "It's a lottery win to born in Finland..." seems to be still holding its continuation part "...And you need a lottery win to live in Finland" very well.

Am I out of touch?

I keep seeing people say this is a "1080p card" but when I look at benchmarks I see it getting like 50 FPS in Battlefield V at 4K with all settings maxed out. 

Just turn some settings down to "high" instead of max and you can play plenty of games at 4K with this GPU, at ~60 FPS. 

Does "1080p card" mean it plays all games maxed out at 1080p with like 60 FPS? Because I am pretty sure this card will do well above 60 FPS even at 4K in most of the popular games.

My GTX 1060 is roughly half as powerful as this card, but I play all the games I want at 1080p just fine.

Unlike crappy RX 6500XT, RTX 3050 is actually a pretty decent card. In fact it's a rare bottom line model that's actually usable in a very long time. I had GTX 1050Ti back in the day as backup card for a while and it couldn't even do 1080p well in most games, not even with lowered details.

11 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

I keep seeing people say this is a "1080p card" but when I look at benchmarks I see it getting like 50 FPS in Battlefield V at 4K with all settings maxed out. 

Just turn some settings down to "high" instead of max and you can play plenty of games at 4K with this GPU, at ~60 FPS. 

Does "1080p card" mean it plays all games maxed out at 1080p with like 60 FPS? Because I am pretty sure this card will do well above 60 FPS even at 4K in most of the popular games.

12 game average at 1440p is 74 FPS, which for max/high settings is pretty bloody good. I guess people just kinda expect too much now days. Personally I blame graphics technology stagnation for that though, we've had so little to improve upon for so long due to a whole host of reasons FPS was pushed way to the front and now it's "the most important thing evarrrr".

I'm just happy with stable and enjoyable.

Well, they can keep releasing GPU's top end and bottom end until the cows come home.  But when the only thing I can by is 2-3 times what I would consider a reasonable price they can get fucked.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

The rtx 3050 is a 1080p card with raytracing on in some titles, and for what it costs people should expect more IMO. The rtx 2060 KO is still faster, and it had an msrp of $300.

1 hour ago, Blademaster91 said:

The rtx 2060 KO is still faster, and it had an msrp of $300.

Good luck with that $300 MSRP today lol

image.png.431b245d6c604c5f9197ff120a0b2360.png

What something was isn't of much use today, what something is compared to what something was in the past isn't of much use either.

The pricing is just ridiculous. I mean, this is about how much I paid for an AORUS GTX 1080Ti several years ago. Only card higher than the one I had was AORUS Xtreme. Let that sink in. Here it's a shitty RTX 2060. Sure, it has RTX, but apart from that it's inferior in every way. Hell, it's not priced that much lower than my RTX 3080 and I already overpaid it some. You have to be insane to buy this at such price.

I was busy when it went on sale so I didn't see initial stock situation or what they were priced at. Suffice to say, there are none to be seen right now. 

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

4 hours ago, leadeater said:

Good luck with that $300 MSRP today lol

Well you don't have to get scalped on amazon or newegg, even ebay has 2060's cheaper than that.

4 hours ago, leadeater said:

What something was isn't of much use today, what something is compared to what something was in the past isn't of much use either.

What something was, that is still better is what reviewers are using as a metric, and pricing is important as Nvidia is charging more for an x50 tier than they did for the previous card that was a tier higher.  The prices on a lot of the 3050 cards is just silly, thats more than the 3060Ti launch price.

And even worse these cards are nowhere to be seen, as much crap as the 6500XT gets, at least you can buy one.

5 hours ago, Blademaster91 said:

Well you don't have to get scalped on amazon or newegg, even ebay has 2060's cheaper than that.

That is brand new, official and sold by EVGA on Amazon and is an Amazon Choice listing. That's not being scalped, that is the official current price for the card.

They are roughly $500 USD used on ebay, give or take either side of that depending on listing and time you look.

Regardless of all that the point made still stands and I'm sure you know what that is. So unless you have a time machine pointing out the release price of a card years ago doesn't mean anything at all because the current MSRP of that very card is exactly what I posted. MSRPs change.

5 hours ago, Blademaster91 said:

What something was, that is still better is what reviewers are using as a metric, and pricing is important as Nvidia is charging more for an x50 tier than they did for the previous card that was a tier higher.

Reviewers are using current market for current buying recommendations. They are using historic market pricing and product pricing only for generation comparisons and complaining about the current market prices.

What a RTX 2060 KO used to cost or what a GTX 1050 Ti used to cost is irrelevant to a buying recommendation today. If you or anyone thinks GPU prices are going to get 3 times cheaper any time soon then I'm afraid that is an extremely strong case of wishful thinking. There nothing you or anyone can really do about this other than either not buy anything or suck it up and buy something.

You don't have to buy anything obviously and if you are in a position to wait then do so, things may well improve to some degree, even quite well, but we just don't know.

Already sold out everywhere with prices at normal retailers 1.5x MSRP.

I'll put this one in the 'paper launch' bin with all the rest of the GPU's launched in the passed 2 years.

I'll have to stick with my 2060 for another year or so - at least most of the new AAA games released are unpolished, soulless rubbish and I don't need an enthusiast GPU to play the good stuff (Stardew, Spelunky, Factorio, HOMM3 etc)

8 hours ago, leadeater said:

That's not being scalped, that is the official current price for the card.

I feel like "scalping" has lost its meaning these days.

Scaling no longer means "buying something with the intention of selling it for a higher price when availability is poor". Now it means "selling something at a higher price than I am willing to pay".

I'm gonna start complaining that Bugatti are scalping their cars.

21 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

I feel like "scalping" has lost its meaning these days.

Scaling no longer means "buying something with the intention of selling it for a higher price when availability is poor". Now it means "selling something at a higher price than I am willing to pay".

I'm gonna start complaining that Bugatti are scalping their cars.

How did you manage to quote blademaster91 but have leadeaters post in it?

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

52 minutes ago, ouroesa said:

I'll put this one in the 'paper launch' bin with all the rest of the GPU's launched in the passed 2 years.

That isn't what a "paper launch" is. A paper launch is when a company says "Our new product is releasing on this date" on paper but no retailers actually get the product by that date in reality.

In this case, and in the case of most of the new GPU's that have released since the beginning of 2021 or so, stock of the product was there to buy, it just sold out instantly. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

57 minutes ago, Middcore said:

That isn't what a "paper launch" is. A paper launch is when a company says "Our new product is releasing on this date" on paper but no retailers actually get the product by that date in reality.

In this case, and in the case of most of the new GPU's that have released since the beginning of 2021 or so, stock of the product was there to buy, it just sold out instantly. 

Agreed, hence the quotation marks. I put it in the 'paper launch' because almost no-one will be able to get one...especially at a reasonable price. 
No retailer have any stock locally in Australia, even though the launch was yesterday so by your definition and in my circumstance, it is a paper launch.

image.png.bd62062deeb1b102118913d81391b1d2.png

7 hours ago, mr moose said:

How did you manage to quote blademaster91 but have leadeaters post in it?

Was going to quote blademaster91, saw that leadeater said what I was going to say, edited the next so that my reply was to leadeater instead but forgot to change the quote box.

Fixed it now.

Anyway just to reiterate, a retailer selling something at a price above MSRP is not scalping.

6 hours ago, ouroesa said:

No retailer have any stock locally in Australia, even though the launch was yesterday so by your definition and in my circumstance, it is a paper launch.

PCCaseGear, MWave and Scorptec all have 3050s in stock though

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

1 hour ago, Arika S said:

PCCaseGear, MWave and Scorptec all have 3050s in stock though

I just checked pccasegear and scorptec last night and they didn't have anything

EDIT: they literally must have only come online today.  Still it's a bugger that the cheapest one available is still $630 😞