Ryzen 7000 IHS Design: Cleaning thermal paste off of this thing is going to be miserable...

I realize what Dr. Lisa Su unveiled is just an early engineering sample and it's not necessarily finalized yet. I'm just wondering if any of their engineers stopped to think before they settled on this design how difficult it would be to actually clean thermal paste off of it. It's not something we have to do often but cleaning between that IHS's toes would be pretty tedious. Am I alone in my thinking here or have any of you reached similar conclusions?        

AMD-Raphael.jpg

Assuming you're using a non-conductive paste the only place you need to clean is the top, and that'll be no worse than it is today. If paste gets down that's just cosmetic and no one is going to see it.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

Those holes seem to have been made to accommodate those pins. Those pins are used for testing so pretty much expect a normal ihs in the final sample.

Look how small it is relative to the PCB.. its so cute 🙂

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Aqua Elite 360, 3x TL-B12, 2x TL-K12
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact, 2x TL-B14

I'm more surprised at the fact AMD is moving their desktop line to LGA.

At last people will stop ripping CPU's out of their sockets whenever they remove the CPU cooler.

But yeah, have to wait and see what the final design actually ends up being. If people don't overdo it on the thermal paste though it shouldn't be that bad. A Q-tip or two should clean up the edges just fine.

Alternatively everyone could move to using graphite sheets. They've been phenomenal for me.

6 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

At last people will stop ripping CPU's out of their sockets whenever they remove the CPU cooler.

But yeah, have to wait and see what the final design actually ends up being. If people don't overdo it on the thermal paste though it shouldn't be that bad. A Q-tip or two should clean up the edges just fine.

Alternatively everyone could move to using graphite sheets. They've been phenomenal for me.

Agree, less is more for thermal paste. Put it on, give it a little pressure, and if it looks like it's gonna goop, wipe it up before it does.

31 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Those holes seem to have been made to accommodate those pins. Those pins are used for testing so pretty much expect a normal ihs in the final sample.

They don't look like test pins to me. They're surface mount component pads, some of which you can see are populated. They may decide they don't need all of them on final product.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

6 minutes ago, porina said:

They don't look like test pins to me. They're surface mount component pads, some of which you can see are populated. They may decide they don't need all of them on final product.

To be more precise, they are part of the power delivery. 

51 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

>ywn be able to speedrun CPU removal on AM5.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

19 hours ago, Windows7ge said:

I'm not too surprised but I think it's long overdue. The number of new builders bending or breaking pins is an issue AMD had been dealing with for years. Those of you with a Micro Center near by have probably seen the CPUs marked down with bent pins. 

18 hours ago, DildorTheDecent said:

>ywn be able to speedrun CPU removal on AM5.

Haha, best case here is you pull up on your cooler and find your CPU still stuck to it. Worst case, and probably more common, you drop your CPU and play some pin pick up. All it takes is a few wiggles of your cooler first and you're good to go.