Take-Two Interactive to buy FarmVille creator Zynga for $12.7 billion

poochyena

Summary

Take-Two Interactive says it is buying mobile gaming company Zynga for $12.7 billion

Quotes

"We are trying to build a business over a very long period of time," Take-Two CEO Strauss Zelnick told CNBC's "Squawk on the Street" Monday. "We've paid attention to creating value for our players, for our colleagues, and for our shareholders and that's worked out over a very long period of time."

Take Two, which is known for Grand Theft Auto and other blockbuster console and PC franchises, is hoping to tap into the continued growth of mobile gaming, which accounts for more than half of the entire video game industry.

My thoughts

Seems like a bad direction to me. Sounds like the GTA game could be more micro transaction based as the last one and possibly even have more focus on mobile.

Sources

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/01/10/take-two-interactive-to-buy-farmville-creator-zynga-for-12point7-billion.html

12 billion is alot more than I would have thought the company was worth. Then again mobile games do make a ton of money off of microtransactions. Whales do end making these types of companies a ton money for sure. I do wonder how much the yearly profit are for the company to get the 12 billion dollar deal. 

“Take-Two should see an acceleration of its mobile business, including taking existing brands and turning them into mobile franchises,”

Take-Two, which reported $6.1 billion in net bookings in the 12 months ended Sept. 30, 2021, said it expects mobile to comprise over 50% of its net bookings in the next fiscal year, up from 12% in fiscal 2022.

So, TL;DR: lose any hope for another GTA in PC/Consoles any time soon? Long live mobile GTA?

Oh well, one less company to give my money to *shrug* 

13 minutes ago, Rauten said:

So, TL;DR: lose any hope for another GTA in PC/Consoles any time soon? Long live mobile GTA?

To me, my hope for future GTA games died the day take 2 took down San Andreas mods right before the disastrous release for definitive defective edition, and to be honest GTA on mobile don't feel good to play and it's hard to put micro transactions in games like that, also an insider from Rockstar, Tez2 leaked that a game is coming on it's way, but seeing definitive edition I think whatever they're cooking, it's in devlopment hell

people still play facebook flash games?

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

19 minutes ago, VirusDumb said:

To me, my hope for future GTA games died the day take 2 took down San Andreas mods right before the disastrous release for definitive defective edition, and to be honest GTA on mobile don't feel good to play and it's hard to put micro transactions in games like that, also an insider from Rockstar, Tez2 leaked that a game is coming on it's way, but seeing definitive edition I think whatever they're cooking, it's in devlopment hell

My hope has slowly drained ever since steam version of GTA V required you download their own launcher. Why do I need two launchers for a game, and why can't I play it offline? And my mods constantly breaking... Its not fun, its a struggle opening the game up.

1 hour ago, poochyena said:

My hope has slowly drained ever since steam version of GTA V required you download their own launcher. Why do I need two launchers for a game, and why can't I play it offline? And my mods constantly breaking... Its not fun, its a struggle opening the game up.

Whoa, they did that? I never knew about these as I have never played GTA 5 on PC as my PC is a low end potato, I do own Epic games version of GTA 5.

11 minutes ago, VirusDumb said:

Whoa, they did that? I never knew about these as I have never played GTA 5 on PC as my PC is a low end potato, I do own Epic games version of GTA 5.

yep, around a year or 2 ago I think.

Oh boy here we go.

My prediction: Creators of farm management games (think stuff like Stardew Valley or w/e) will soon get a C&D from Take Two because obviously the only people that can make farm games are them now because they bought the creators of FarmVille.

4 hours ago, poochyena said:

the GTA game could be more micro transaction based as the last one and possibly even have more focus on mobile.

oh buddy it became that when online launched. plus people do expect GTA to have latest gen graphics so it won't be on mobile just yet but ports of GTA4 for mobile devices will be coming mark my words.

*Insert Witty Signature here*

System Config: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/Tncs9N

I mean zynga did well at some point, and to me it felt like they started or began some of the phone gaming that we see now (also with newgrounds). Some of the nice "social" aspect, although a lot is used to be exploited and something to sell or get addicted to bad schemes. But they did find some sort of formula or data from the times at facebook gaming?

13 hours ago, Brooksie359 said:

12 billion is alot more than I would have thought the company was worth. Then again mobile games do make a ton of money off of microtransactions. Whales do end making these types of companies a ton money for sure. I do wonder how much the yearly profit are for the company to get the 12 billion dollar deal. 

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2022/01/more-than-farmville-why-is-take-two-paying-12-7-billion-for-zynga/

an important quote

>For evidence of just how important that foothold can be, look no further than Activision Blizzard. The major console and PC game publisher spent a then-unheard-of $5.9 billion for Candy Crush maker King Games back in 2015. That purchase looks prescient in retrospect, as King now represents a third of the company's total revenues of over $2 billion a quarter.

FarmVille, now with catchy radio tunes, driveby's and hookers. 😄

56 minutes ago, poochyena said:

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2022/01/more-than-farmville-why-is-take-two-paying-12-7-billion-for-zynga/

an important quote

>For evidence of just how important that foothold can be, look no further than Activision Blizzard. The major console and PC game publisher spent a then-unheard-of $5.9 billion for Candy Crush maker King Games back in 2015. That purchase looks prescient in retrospect, as King now represents a third of the company's total revenues of over $2 billion a quarter.

Honestly I an both surprised and not surprised that candy crush makes that much money. I would expect it to as I know multiple people who got addicted to it and ended up spending a lot of money on the game. That being said 2 billion in quarter is more than I was expecting. I think the problem is mobile games are like the inventors of micro transactions and they are basically designed to be addictive and encourage you to spend more money. 

All mobile games are cookie cutter cash grab nonsense. I used to play Raid Shadow Legends and while it was interesting for a while, the grind is real unless you drop real cash into it. Stopped playing it. Found Lego Legends and tried it for the lolz and the thing is literally Raid Shadow Legends in a cute Lego skin on top. Apart from few minor details it's the same damn thing.

17 hours ago, Brooksie359 said:

12 billion is alot more than I would have thought the company was worth.

Disney payed way less than that for Marvel, Star Wars, and Pixar COMBINED.

🖥️ Motherboard: MSI A320M PRO-VH PLUS  ** Processor: AMD Ryzen 2600 3.4 GHz ** Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 1070 TI 8GB Zotac 1070ti 🖥️
🖥️ Memory: 32GB DDR4 2400  ** Power Supply: 650 Watts Power Supply Thermaltake +80 Bronze Thermaltake PSU 🖥️

🍎 2012 iMac i7 27";  2007 MBP 2.2 GHZ; Power Mac G5 Dual 2GHZ; B&W G3; Quadra 650; Mac SE 🍎

🍎 iPad Air2; iPhone SE 2020; iPhone 5s; AppleTV 4k 🍎

3 hours ago, RejZoR said:

FarmVille, now with catchy radio tunes, driveby's and hookers. 😄

so more like real farms.

🖥️ Motherboard: MSI A320M PRO-VH PLUS  ** Processor: AMD Ryzen 2600 3.4 GHz ** Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 1070 TI 8GB Zotac 1070ti 🖥️
🖥️ Memory: 32GB DDR4 2400  ** Power Supply: 650 Watts Power Supply Thermaltake +80 Bronze Thermaltake PSU 🖥️

🍎 2012 iMac i7 27";  2007 MBP 2.2 GHZ; Power Mac G5 Dual 2GHZ; B&W G3; Quadra 650; Mac SE 🍎

🍎 iPad Air2; iPhone SE 2020; iPhone 5s; AppleTV 4k 🍎

5 hours ago, Video Beagle said:

so more like real farms.

put it into the metaverse for real jobs, control john oh deers equipement remotely through farmville AR/VR solutions 🙂

jk, I just want some strawberries.

9 hours ago, Brooksie359 said:

Honestly I an both surprised and not surprised that candy crush makes that much money. I would expect it to as I know multiple people who got addicted to it and ended up spending a lot of money on the game. That being said 2 billion in quarter is more than I was expecting. I think the problem is mobile games are like the inventors of micro transactions and they are basically designed to be addictive and encourage you to spend more money. 

King made 2b, not candy crush alone.

5 hours ago, poochyena said:

King made 2b, not candy crush alone.

Oh that makes more sense. That being said 2 billion in quarter is still pretty crazy.