Why is Computer Media all About Intel + Nvidia?

steakboy

Question: Why are "all" the Youtube Tech channels always building PC's with Intel and Nvidia?

A majority of the time while I watch LTT, Greg Salazar, Jays2Cents, GN, or any other smaller channel/TikTok/Snapchat; Unless they are explicitly talking about an AMD product or an AMD build, they almost always use an Intel CPU and a Nvidia graphics card. Example, LTT's most recent video about splitting a graphics card; its an Nvidia 3080TI. "The PC That Opens Like THIS" is a 2080 (this one is an anomaly since its a last gen. But could they not have gotten an AMD graphics card more easily?) "Building an Upside Down Gaming PC", they use a 3080. And all three ROG Rig Reboots use Nvidia 3080'd.

I've built an AMD gaming rig, and it was at a great price (given the circumstances), and I had little trouble finding parts. The CPU, Ram, and Graphics card were all in stock right when I went to look at it. People often boast about: performance to $, and AMD reigns champion in there. The 5950X is better than the i9 12th. the 6800XT clocks better and performs better on more games than the RTX. But then why do these content creators, 9 times out of 10, use Intel and Nvidia hardware?

Am i being lied to about AMD's superiority?
Do these content creators get paid more when using Intel and Nvidia equipment?
Do their sponsors not receive AMD hardware?
Is AMD just a dumb company and not give marketing material/hardware to people? 
Am I watching the wrong channels, and everyone i watch just have deals with Intel and Nvidia to showcase their hardware more?

Was my experience purchasing AMD CPU's and GPU's an anomally, and theyre actually even harder to get than Intel/Nvidia (so my thought of scarcity is backwards?)

I know its an exaggeration to say all content creators. But if I click on any random PC building/review video on Youtube by a big content creator, 99.9% of the time its Intel+Nvidia. 

Because when they do showcase builds they want to use the highest level of hardware they have on hand. Unfortunately this means that it will almost always be Nvidia for GPUs as AMD is not quite up to that level yet. As for CPUs, Linus has already mentioned that they only have a single 5950x, so if that is already tied up in another build/project, not much they can do about it, i imagine it's the same with most other channels.

LTT, GN and J2C have all already said that unless intel/amd/nvidia etc are directly sponsoring the video, they get no money out of them regardless of the parts they use in other builds.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

RAW performance > price to performance in most of these fancy / showoff builds. But if you actually watched Jay you would have seen that all three of the people on the team use an AMD system and Nick uses a complete AMD system (CPU + GPU). If you've checked on anything in the past couple of years AMD CPUs have always been king until the 12900K came about and if you actually watched the benchmarks you would see the AMD systems always lag behind the Nvidia cards.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

10 minutes ago, steakboy said:

AMD doesn't really need to prove anything, their performance speaks for it self. They have already taken the title for some of the best CPU's in the market, and already have a pretty good reputation. Both CPU's are good, but intel is not by any means "slow", even though it has been made to seem that AMD has practically destroyed intel

And all three ROG Rig Reboots use Nvidia 3080'd.

Nvidia does offer slightly better performance than AMD GPU's, AMD GPU's have always been more towards the best for value rather than best performance regardless of budget. I am guessing the currrent GPU situation also plays a part in which GPU get's used

Please tag me @RTX 3090 so I can see your reply

Most of what I see are builds based on AMD CPUs + Nvidia GPUs, since those have the performance crown, unless it's talking about cooling, which then Intel comes into play with their furnaces that can reach over 250W when OC'd.

Nvidia holds the performance crown over AMD's GPUs due to their vast APIs and overall better perf (even if by a small margin and at the cost of more power draw). AMD sadly has a bad history with drivers and not much feature support, even though they often offer a best perf/dollar ratio.

Stock is a mess for both sides when it comes to GPUs, but maybe Nvidia managed to get more units out since they're using Samsung's 8nm and don't have any other product in that node, while AMD has to make all of their CPUs, GPUs, APUs and console SoCs on TSMC's 7nm.

But then again, take my opinion with a grain of salt since I'm not much of a tech youtuber fan.

FX6300 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 | Hyper 212x | 3x 8GB + 1x 4GB @ 1600MHz | Gigabyte 2060 Super | Corsair CX650M | LG 43UK6520PSA
ASUS X550LN | i5 4210u | 12GB
Lenovo N23 Yoga

8 minutes ago, steakboy said:

Yes I think so. You can't just make a blanket statement that EVERYTHING from a Billion Dollar Corporation is better than EVERYTHING from another Billion Dollar Corporation. You have to look at the specific product you want and compare.

Maybe? Intel for sure does a lot of youtube marketing.

Am I watching the wrong channels, and everyone i watch just have deals with Intel and Nvidia to showcase their hardware more?

Probably

Was my experience purchasing AMD CPU's and GPU's an anomally, and theyre actually even harder to get than Intel/Nvidia (so my thought of scarcity is backwards?)

Again its hard to make a blanket statement. Depends on where you are, when you are buying, and what you are buying.

7 minutes ago, steakboy said:

A majority of the time while I watch LTT, Greg Salazar, Jays2Cents, GN, or any other smaller channel/TikTok/Snapchat; Unless they are explicitly talking about an AMD product or an AMD build, they almost always use an Intel CPU and a Nvidia graphics card. Example, LTT's most recent video about splitting a graphics card; its an Nvidia 3080TI. "The PC That Opens Like THIS" is a 2080 (this one is an anomaly since its a last gen. But could they not have gotten an AMD graphics card more easily?) "Building an Upside Down Gaming PC", they use a 3080. And all three ROG Rig Reboots use Nvidia 3080'd.

Hardware Unboxed uses the 6900XT for CPU benchmarking.

LTT has done plenty with AMD as well.

People often boast about: performance to $, and AMD reigns champion in there.

Price to performance literally doesn't matter in these showcase builds.

The 5950X is better than the i9 12th. the 6800XT clocks better and performs better on more games than the RTX.

Uh... no?

Average.png

While the RTX 3090 and similar are slower than the RX 6900 XT, keep in mind RTX has... RTX and DLSS. Which people want, or they just like the NVIDIA brand.

Plus, in a lot of cases it's really not cheaper. The RX 6600 at retail costs more than the scalp price for an RTX 3060 where I live. Same with 6600XT/3060, 6700XT/3060 Ti, 6800/3070. Makes zero sense.

16 minutes ago, steakboy said:

Somewhat, no, they do, no, yes/no, yes.

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

5 minutes ago, steakboy said:

m i being lied to about AMD's superiority?

amd isnt superiror right now, technically intel cpus are faster right now (bar unreleased 5800x3d, which may be faster)

sometimes its supplied, but unless its sponsored, no, thats illegal

11 minutes ago, steakboy said:

they get plenty of amd cpus, but nvidia gpus beig faster (and better in things like encoding and rt)are more common 

13 minutes ago, steakboy said:

amd sends out plenty of hardware...

15 minutes ago, steakboy said:

amd cpus were only hard to get for about 3 months after r5000 came out, amd gpus are still hadrd asf to get

16 minutes ago, steakboy said:

like I said its illegal to not anounce these deals if they exist, and they dont ..

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

Balls to the wall showcase builds generally have the best of the best for hardware, which usually means Intel/Nvidia, Nvidia hardware generally is going to have more God tier performance vs AMD, Intel with being the big guy still(for the moment) in the industry still has preference from some developers as they have a larger share of the hardware market, it's just a matter of the best of the best, or what is guaranteed not to have problems when doing the video. It's not necessarily shilling for one or the other. Would you rather have in your road trip journey a Toyota Camry that is going to run flawlessly or a Chrysler 200 that will be constantly needing attention, a Toyota Hilux that will run forever or a Dodge ram that will have transmission issues.

Nvidia = youtube clicks

They have a better marketing machine than AMD does, straight up. So when people are building computers, especially newbies, they see more Nvidia talk online, and think they need to get in on that too.

When my nephew was building his computer he was gung-ho on "getting GeForce". He overrspent on a 4GB 1650 when he totally could have gotten an 8GB 5500XT for the same price, and it would have housed it. But whatever, he got his "GeForce". 

Just look on eBay, RTX3080's are about $2000-$3000, meanwhile the faster 6900XT is about $1400-$1600 for a reference card. 

RT's cool tech, but it's still too computationally expensive. And although the idea of DLSS is good, the ghosting and (unless you're at 4k) obvious loss in resolution means it's a downgrade in image quality, just like FSR is. 

Maybe in late 2022 or sometime in 2023 RT will be a realistic option to turn on without FSR or DLSS, but I'd say for now raster performance is still king. 

Work Rigs - 2015 15" MBP | 2019 15" MBP | 2021 16" M1 Max MBP | Lenovo ThinkPad T490 |

AMD Ryzen 9 5900X  |  MSI B550 Gaming Plus  |  64GB G.SKILL 3200 CL16 4x8GB |  AMD Reference RX 6800  |  WD Black SN750 1TB NVMe  |  Corsair RM750  |  Corsair H115i RGB Pro XT  |  Corsair 4000D  |  Dell S2721DGF  |

Fun Rig - AMD Ryzen 5 5600X  |  MSI B550 Tomahawk  |  32GB G.SKILL 3600 CL16 4x8GB |  AMD Reference 6800XT  | Creative Sound Blaster Z  |  WD Black SN850 500GB NVMe  |  WD Black SN750 2TB NVMe  |  WD Blue 1TB SATA SSD  |  Corsair RM850x  |  Corsair H100i RGB Pro XT  |  Corsair 4000D  |  LG 27GP850  |

The overall market share is still about 60-40 in Intel's favor. That probably distorts things somewhat.

That hasn't been the case for a long while. LTT is often sponsored by Intel, but when they aren't, they use AMD Ryzen. Jayz2Cents also used Ryzen almost exclusively for the last couple of years with rare exceptions like his last build where he had issues with AMD boards for whatever reason. He even said he uses Ryzen's almost in everything. Intel really isn't super popular and has only recently become picked a bit more often with Alder Lake and even that for gaming systems mostly. For compute, people still prefer builds with 5950X which is still a monster.

I think you're just reading way too much into this. It happens a lot in LTT's builds that Linus picked up a part and says "why is this here?" (for example expensive mobos or SSDs in budget builds or SATA SSDs in high-end builds, etc.). I think there is a lot of randomness in these builds and often they just grab whatever roughly fits the bill and is in their storage. I have yet to see a build from any tech youtuber that I'd copy 1:1 and build myself.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

It's often down to what they have on hand. Intel seems to be a bit more inclined to send out keeper samples than AMD and nVidia has had a bit of a performance edge for a while. If the build itself is the focus, however, it's more likely they'll go with AMD.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

That also heavily depends on your search terms and google recommendations...

to me everything is AMD and Nvidia 

Intel is just the dude everyone makes fun of apparently. 

"Back to you, Steve!"

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

Pretty sure Intel sponsors many more videos than AMD does

PC Setup: 

HYTE Y60 White/Black + Custom ColdZero ventilation sidepanel

Intel Core i7-10700K + Corsair Hydro Series H100x

G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 32GB (F4-3600C16Q-32GTZR)

ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 3080Ti OC LC

ASUS ROG STRIX Z490-G GAMING (Wi-Fi)

Samsung EVO Plus 1TB

Samsung EVO Plus 1TB

Crucial MX500 2TB

Crucial MX300 1TB

Corsair HX1200i

Peripherals: 

Samsung Odyssey Neo G9 G95NC 57"

Samsung Odyssey Neo G7 32"

ASUS ROG Harpe Ace Aim Lab Edition Wireless

ASUS ROG Claymore II Wireless

ASUS ROG Sheath BLK LTD'

Corsair SP2500

Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO X (Limited Editon) & Beyerdynamic TYGR 300R + FiiO K7 DAC/AMP

RØDE VideoMic II + Elgato WAVE Mic Arm

Racing SIM Setup: 

Sim-Lab GT1 EVO Sim Racing Cockpit + Sim-Lab GT1 EVO Single Screen holder

Svive Racing D1 Seat

Samsung Odyssey G9 49"

Simagic Alpha Mini

Simagic GT4 (Dual Clutch)

CSL Elite Pedals V2

Logitech K400 Plus

Intel still has higher market share and are still quite the influencer. AMD manage to make a dent on their reputation but not enough to make an impact.

Also, Intel marketing strategy is a bit aggressive, the way how all laptops ads ended with Intel logo is proof. Money speaks louder than words, apparently.

But Intel do win a bit as they keep on sponsoring stuff, and they really shelve out a lot of their reserve for sponsorship.

Anyway, that's just my thoughts.

I have ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder). More info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autism_spectrum

I apologies if my comments or post offends you in any way, or if my rage got a little too far. I'll try my best to make my post as non-offensive as much as possible.

Thankfully AMD and Intel exist....

Could you imagine Apple everything and no other choices. 

Man Funk That!

Follow the money

On 1/9/2022 at 11:38 PM, Helpful Tech Wiard said:

like I said its illegal to not anounce these deals if they exist, and they dont

Since when? Not saying it isnt, but thats kind of useless because how would you even prove that?

Thats also my biggest issue with yt and similar,  they're all biased in one way or another,  which we all are i guess, you can just find something that lines up with your own biases and then happily pretend "neutrality".

I like techmoan, he hates like 85% of what he reviews...

"Should you buy it?'

"No."

🤣

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

4 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Thankfully AMD and Intel exist....

Could you imagine Apple everything and no other choices. 

Man Funk That!

Why people keep saying like you have no choice with Apple. You can literally NOT buy Apple product and use something else instead. Always pretending how Apple is this evil and Google is all kindness, rainbows and unicorns. I guess if it's free then it's great for users even if they are being ripped off in many other places and their data mined on all ends, not just by Google, but also by everoyne else.

22 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

Since when? Not saying it isnt, but thats kind of useless because how would you even prove that?

Thats also my biggest issue with yt and similar,  they're all biased in one way or another,  which we all are i guess, you can just find something that lines up with your own biases and then happily pretend "neutrality".

I like techmoan, he hates like 85% of what he reviews...

"Should you buy it?'

"No."

🤣

Sponsorships have to be didclosed, if you don’t disclose youre  being paied to do something, you can face serious YouTube repercussions, but (at least in the us and the eu) can face major legal problems

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

1 hour ago, RejZoR said:

Why people keep saying like you have no choice with Apple. You can literally NOT buy Apple product and use something else instead. Always pretending how Apple is this evil and Google is all kindness, rainbows and unicorns. I guess if it's free then it's great for users even if they are being ripped off in many other places and their data mined on all ends, not just by Google, but also by everoyne else.

Please don't put my feelings places that I did not. Did not mention Google either, so not sure where you got that from.

The comment was to portray having competition. Nothing more.

But I will share that Apple products are way over priced and most people are suckered into the marketing..... which Apple spends the most on and the focus of this topic.

1 hour ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Please don't put my feelings places that I did not. Did not mention Google either, so not sure where you got that from.

The comment was to portray having competition. Nothing more.

But I will share that Apple products are way over priced and most people are suckered into the marketing..... which Apple spends the most on and the focus of this topic.

It's so funny reading people always saying a) Apple is overpriced b) muh marketing

That's funny when Apple's hardware has been a benchmark for entire mobile industry and they have unmatched long term software support with OS that consistently performs like the day you bought the phone. And all this because people still make lame corny jokes about iPhone XR's "only 720p LCD" display and make ultimatums like it's entirely useless because it can't do 3 things Android can. Then again I'm used to read comments from idiots on GSMArena on daily basis who harp about "specs on paper" 24/7 and have absolutely no clue about actual use.

9 hours ago, RejZoR said:

It's so funny reading people always saying a) Apple is overpriced b) muh marketing

That's funny when Apple's hardware has been a benchmark for entire mobile industry and they have unmatched long term software support with OS that consistently performs like the day you bought the phone. And all this because people still make lame corny jokes about iPhone XR's "only 720p LCD" display and make ultimatums like it's entirely useless because it can't do 3 things Android can. Then again I'm used to read comments from idiots on GSMArena on daily basis who harp about "specs on paper" 24/7 and have absolutely no clue about actual use.

The problem is knowing what the individual parts actual cost, the assembly cost, then the price to purchase it. HUNDREDS of percent in profit. 

But hey, I like apple, it brings great competition to the table and has for many decades. One of my first PCs was an apple. 

Either way, what you purchased this year, went out dated already. That's how fast the hardware tech moves.