Is LTT discriminatory?

Jeskspie

Based on the staff they do have and the location they are in, I think it’s safe to say they pick the best person for the job based on technical skill. Their staff covers a pretty wide racial gamut. 

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

1 minute ago, 8tg said:

Maybe it’s because they’re in Canada, a distinctly white country...

They should still employ more black people to encourage diversity, canadian asians = 17% canadian native = 7% canadian africans = 4%, its not like black people are non existant

6 minutes ago, 0x0Q6710MD said:

So they should pick a staff member purely based on their race...? Thats sounds discriminatory to me. 

They should encourage more black staff members, like google does, when did I say "hire them because of their race"

6 minutes ago, Jeskspie said:

They should still employ more black people to encourage diversity, canadian asians = 17% canadian native = 7% canadian africans = 4%, its not like black people are non existant

No they shouldn't. This is a big can of worms and diversity is riddled with details that go far beyond "just hire a black person". Yes there are systemic issues, but there are also simple demographic issues. It's good to encourage diversity and to aid minorities, but in the end you hire the best one for the job. Now in that process there are a whole lot of subtleties. If you have candidates that are close enough, for example, then yes, you can put the preference on underrepresented groups. I'm all for encouraging it whereever possible., but there is no fundamental reason why every gender and group should be represented in equal fractions however, because both job sectors and demographics don't work that way.

For example, just hiring group X for the sake of hiring group X just ticks the bureaucratic diversity box, but can, and from experience will, make that person feel really undervalued because they've obviously been hired to fill a quotum and not because the company values their skills.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

giphy.gif

Leonidas Specs: Ryzen 7 5800X3D | AMD 6800 XT Midnight Black | MSI B550 Gaming Plus | Corsair Dominator CL16 3200 MHz  4x8 32GB | be quiet! Silent Base 802

Maximus Specs: Ryzen 7 3700x | AMD 6700 XT Power Color Fighter | Asrock B550M-Itx/AC | Corsair Vengeance CL 16 3200 MHz 2x8 16 GB | Fractal Ridge Case (HTPC)

3 minutes ago, Jeskspie said:

They should encourage more black staff members, like google does, when did I say "hire them because of their race"

The province they're based in has a larger amount of Asians, this shows in the staff page you linked to, yet LTT discriminates???

Yeah, as per the rules, trolling isn't allowed.

-thread Locked -

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

Linus Media Group will hire the most qualified and best fit people for the position. If there are any demographics you feel may be under-represented then it will likely come down to a combination of LMG being a relatively small company with a small number of employees, fewer people of those demographics applying in general, and simply better qualified people being chosen for the available positions. 

Anyone who is interested in working for Linus Media Group can view available positions on their website. 

https://linusmediagroup.com/jobs

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

5 hours ago, Jeskspie said:

Mabye LTT should diversify more, or rethink their views

Its positions and views like this that create problems that don't exist.

You need to educate yourself on how diversification works, better yet educate yourself on how the people are hired for their skills and not based on skin color.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER