Pit Bulls, dangours???

whm1974

To be clear pretty much all the Pit Bulls I've seen wanted me to pet them. Aside from one that was scared of me. And a friend's Handyman that lives in room in the basement. Now the handyman's PB did look like he wanted use me as a chew toy and quickly went to porch. This was late last year and I want to see how my friend is doing.

Currently he is worry about the dog as it is large and mention that maybe aggressive. My friend mentioned the owner wanted aggressive for protection. I did explain that a dog is only needs to be protective.

Lately I been advising that he call Animal Control to get the dog if needed. His insurance want cover if this a Pit Bull there.

I have heard that there no Bad Breeds, but Bad Owners. The Handyman is not only one of those, but comes across as a stupid person. This back when I rented a house from the friend from Jan 2001 until Aug/Oct(?) 2009. The Maintenance been working for him from some time before I left.

Why is it that a few give Pit Bull Owners a bad rep for having Large Aggressive Dogs? 

Its an owner problem, deal with the owner first. I hope he is rich, so who ever the dog hurts sues them for a ton of cash.

Go watch the mexican dog trainer on tv, his son is now in the game. Cool to watch.

The places that have banned pitbulls I dont quite get, because how many are pure breeds? Gotta ban the dog owners, start putting them in prison when things go astray.

1 minute ago, whoknowz said:

Its an owner problem, deal with the owner first. I hope he is rich, so who ever the dog hurts sues them for a ton of cash.

Go watch the mexican dog trainer on tv, his son is now in the game. Cool to watch.

The places that have banned pitbulls I dont quite get, because how many are pure breeds? Gotta ban the dog owners, start putting them in prison when things go astray.

If you want to look there are multiple videos of loose aggressive dogs running down Streets/Sidewalks entering a Church parking lot attacking little girls with parents and everyone else trying rescue child(s) from dog.

Always Dog is dealt with and Owner gets in trouble. One Video is a mix breed and other is large and looks like Pit Bull.

I have seen those videos, the cruelest non PG dog attacks are on that awesome youtube that I forget the name of but something along the lines of self defence with guns channel. The host has a cool term, "The perp took the asphalt challenge" or room temperature challenge, most people do not know how to deal with a dog, the smaller the person being attacked is the worse off they are. Go for the eyes, choke the dog, kick the dog and kill the dog and hopefully sue the dog owner for a ton of money.

7 minutes ago, whoknowz said:

I have seen those videos, the cruelest non PG dog attacks are on that awesome youtube that I forget the name of but something along the lines of self defence with guns channel. The host has a cool term, "The perp took the asphalt challenge" or room temperature challenge, most people do not know how to deal with a dog, the smaller the person being attacked is the worse off they are. Go for the eyes, choke the dog, kick the dog and kill the dog and hopefully sue the dog owner for a ton of money.

If Medium size dog but very aggressive one pins you to the ground, are you sure you respond good enough to get deal with animal?

Hopefully there are other people around to help or call police.

There are certain breeds that are agressive and a pit can be one but normally they aren't.
They are however protective if need be and some are more agressive than others about it. They have a bad rep because of what they are bred and trained for (Dog fighting).

Other breeds such as a Chow or Great Pyrenees as examples have an agressive tendency due to how they were bred, a Pyreness is an excellent guard dog, very loyal to a family but can also be overprotective/overly zealous, sometimes going after a perceived threat when it's not an actual threat.
Don't really care for those.

Chows themselves are just plain crazy.
I've known these to turn on their owner without warning or provocation, even dogs that are only half Chow can be dangerous and do that too.
Black Chows themselves are well known for doing that, the incident I do know about directly involved no less than three that turned on their owner and mauled them. The spouse came home and they went after them too, the spouse had to shoot all three just to save the other and themselves. No rabies or any other autopsical cause was found when examined to explain it.

Growing up we had one that was half Chow and that dog didn't act right either, at times it seemed he wanted to come after us and luckily enough he never did BUT then he came up missing one day.
Turns out he had been roaming around and went after a guy down the street in his own yard and that guy had to shoot him.
They never mentioned it to us and we never said a thing about it ourselves.
That's why I DO NOT like Chows, from what I've seen and even experienced before.

BTW where I grew up there are no laws about having to have one on a leash or in a pen/fenced area (Rural area) and all the dogs more or less just went wherever and normally it wasn't a problem, some of the dogs would just roam around and meet whoever they came across. Although those were isolated incidents I can see why such regs are in place in more populous places/areas.

TBH any dog, large or small is capable of such behavour but some have that tendency more than others, in the case of a Chow, those were bred long ago to be fighting dogs and that's what they do because of it.
Just look up the history of the breed and you'll see.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

14 minutes ago, Beerzerker said:

There are certain breeds that are agressive and a pit can be one but normally they aren't.
They are however protective if need be and some are more agressive than others about it. They have a bad rep because of what they are bred and trained for (Dog fighting).

Other breeds such as a Chow or Great Pyrenees as examples have an agressive tendency due to how they were bred, a Pyreness is an excellent guard dog, very loyal to a family but can also be overprotective/overly zealous, sometimes going after a perceived threat when it's not an actual threat.
Don't really care for those.

Chows themselves are just plain crazy.
I've known these to turn on their owner without warning or provocation, even dogs that are only half Chow can be dangerous and do that too.
Black Chows themselves are well known for doing that, the incident I do know about directly involved no less than three that turned on their owner and mauled them. The spouse came home and they went after them too, the spouse had to shoot all three just to save the other and themselves. No rabies or any other autopsical cause was found when examined to explain it.

Growing up we had one that was half Chow and that dog didn't act right either, at times it seemed he wanted to come after us and luckily enough he never did BUT then he came up missing one day.
Turns out he had been roaming around and went after a guy down the street in his own yard and that guy had to shoot him.
They never mentioned it to us and we never said a thing about it ourselves.
That's why I DO NOT like Chows, from what I've seen and even experienced before.

BTW where I grew up there are no laws about having to have one on a leash or in a pen/fenced area (Rural area) and all the dogs more or less just went wherever and normally it wasn't a problem, some of the dogs would just roam around and meet whoever they came across. Although those were isolated incidents I can see why such regs are in place in more populous places/areas.

TBH any dog, large or small is capable of such behavour but some have that tendency more than others, in the case of a Chow, those were bred long ago to be fighting dogs and that's what they do because of it.
Just look up the history of the breed and you'll see.

And here I'm thought Chows were bred for meat in China(?). At least what I read when I was kid(?). Think I'll check on that one. Different Breed?

Pitbulls are like the chillest and most lovable dogs if trained correctly. I've been around a lot of them and they were all nice to me. 

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx

4 hours ago, whm1974 said:

And here I'm thought Chows were bred for meat in China(?). At least what I read when I was kid(?). Think I'll check on that one. Different Breed?

Nope - They were bred for fighting and although any Chow can be agressive, the black ones are the worst about it.
They are beautiful dogs with nice colors to their coats but at the same time they are what I'd call "Psycho" out of most, if not all breeds you can name.
They were bred to be that way and they are.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

7 hours ago, whm1974 said:

Why is it that a few give Pit Bull Owners a bad rep for having Large Aggressive Dogs? 

Human nature to do that,  if you want to know how things stack up in reality look at insurance, insurance companies have to make a profit and so play a tight numbers game.   Pit bulls either by nature or by human intervention have become fierce fighting/guard dogs, thus all the dregs of society who want that image or type of guard dog get one and perpetuate the reality.    I don't know if we'll ever settle the debate regarding if they are any worse than other breads because as humans there will always be many who won't like the result and will keep bending the arguments, but I can say because of the increased rates of them involved in attacks many places have banned them.  

The breed I'd like to know more about are alsation/German shepherds. we used to see a lot of them around, but now they are hardly anywhere and I keep getting told it is because they can turn on their owners without warning. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

We have laws against owning "fighting dogs" with the pit there is something about how it bites and cannot let go as i remember it.

Support the mindset of "it is the owner" even the most aggresive breed can be docile... however having had a friend being "bitten" badly by an aggressive dog, while just playing with a friend (neighbors dog jumpe into the garden, and they where sword fighting with sticks, and it just went beserk on his arm) and that dog being the "softest dog" i know, i have always had a nervous mind towards dogs, and especially owners who let them run free in their yard, or the ones that always runs away from the house.. 

I don´t like dogs, i just don´t. 

i don´t mind them if people keep them inside or in a lead..

My wife has also been in situation when running, that dogs have chased her, and yes never been bitten, but she gets scared, when a bit dog comes barking and running at you.

15 minutes ago, mr moose said:

Human nature to do that,  if you want to know how things stack up in reality look at insurance, insurance companies have to make a profit and so play a tight numbers game.   Pit bulls either by nature or by human intervention have become fierce fighting/guard dogs, thus all the dregs of society who want that image or type of guard dog get one and perpetuate the reality.    I don't know if we'll ever settle the debate regarding if they are any worse than other breads because as humans there will always be many who won't like the result and will keep bending the arguments, but I can say because of the increased rates of them involved in attacks many places have banned them.  

The breed I'd like to know more about are alsation/German shepherds. we used to see a lot of them around, but now they are hardly anywhere and I keep getting told it is because they can turn on their owners without warning. 

Did they even mixed Blackpowder in dog food to make Dog(s) mean or something? Doubtful if true. If you can season meat in pinch on the Frontier...

Yes you could. Check Amazon for Blackpowder seasoning. 

3 minutes ago, RasmusDC said:

We have laws against owning "fighting dogs" with the pit there is something about how it bites and cannot let go as i remember it.

Support the mindset of "it is the owner" even the most aggresive breed can be docile... however having had a friend being "bitten" badly by an aggressive dog, while just playing with a friend (neighbors dog jumpe into the garden, and they where sword fighting with sticks, and it just went beserk on his arm) and that dog being the "softest dog" i know, i have always had a nervous mind towards dogs, and especially owners who let them run free in their yard, or the ones that always runs away from the house.. 

I don´t like dogs, i just don´t. 

i don´t mind them if people keep them inside or in a lead..

My wife has also been in situation when running, that dogs have chased her, and yes never been bitten, but she gets scared, when a bit dog comes barking and running at you.

Pepper Spray... Made for Dogs...

Certain breeds can be naturally more aggressive/defensive , pitbulls are called such because they were breed to fight.

That being said, raised 'normally' they are no different to other dogs, infact they have a better temperament than some smaller dogs.

In the UK 'staffies' (Stafordshire Bull terrier) have a very bad rep, as bad as pitbulls, but are ,unlike pitbulls, legal. Often owned but young lads/chavs that use them more as a weapon or street cred.

However I've known 'normal' people how have had multiple 'staffies' , raised them normal and they are as loving as ur average large dog. just incredibly powerful and heavy (all muscle)

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

I like cats more, but the doberman I cared for was cool. Not a pitbull though. Don't trust em.

I edit my posts more often than not

16 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

So dangerous I get licked to near fatal levels.  My mom's pitbull runs up to me and licks me.  😧

3spoopy5me!!!

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Won't echo what others have said, but I will say we really need to change laws that single out pitbulls (or other breeds) based on stereotypes of how they're raised, not their actual temperaments.

My wife had a rottweiler who was a softie unless she genuinely had reason to be upset. I suspect our teacup Yorkie is fiercer, and he's still pretty gentle!

Some dogs are a little more stubborn then others when it comes to training. A pit bull is one of them.

2 things to train a dog properly.

1. Positive reinforcement.
  2. repetitions.

If a dog shows aggression, he/she needs IMMEDIATE TRAINING. The longer a dog remains aggressive, the longer it takes to train the dog. You never want aggression for any reason. 

Dogs that are (properly) trained for attack, are never aggressive. To them, taking someone out is a game, not a sign of aggression or force. That should be commanded as a game, not for sport. The dog doesn't know the difference. 

Untrained owner = untrained doggy. Not the other way around. ever.

I don't know if there's a statistically higher chance for pit bulls to be more aggressive, I'm pretty sure there have been studies indicating that the breed itself is not inherently more aggressive than other similarly sized breeds. It's a big dog so it is potentially dangerous, but it needs to be evaluated for your specific dog rather than for the entire breed.

Just to cite something, here's an article showing that dog bites increased after pit bulls were banned in Ontario:

https://globalnews.ca/news/2527882/torontos-pit-bulls-are-almost-gone-so-why-are-there-more-dog-bites-than-ever/

What breeds bite more overall seems to be more related to the popularity of that breed (and therefore a higher likelyhood of your dog bite coming from that breed) rather than anything else.

If you look around you may find articles from a gentleman named Merritt Cliffton who seems to have a personal vendetta against pit bulls; just be aware that he's not a reliable source of information on the subject... https://btoellner.typepad.com/kcdogblog/2011/09/merritt-clifton-when-the-numbers-just-dont-add-up.html

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

14 hours ago, whm1974 said:

Simply put, if you're one of the owners trying to breed a vicious attack dog and be a terrible owner, then you're gonna pick something scary looking. So naturally big aggressive looking dogs have been coveted by bad owners fitting this stereotype, and so it perpetuates itself. I love any animal, but if I see this running at me day or night
image.png.3e029e0449b3b3d55aba2f9667caf94c.png

I'M RUNNING! I assume the worst and hope for the best because if god forbid it is the worst, I'm in trouble. Even a seasoned fighter can be in trouble next to a wild animal, and I'm no seasoned fighter, I'm not even lightly salted or buttered.
Any dog when trained to be so can be a good dog or a terrifying hellspawn. Look at this and tell me you wouldn't start backing away when you saw this moving toward you

Demon chihuahua : r/DamnThatsTerrifying

Teeth are teeth and our skin is not very tooth resistant, so fear is natural. Humans love to take fear and turn it into stereotype and prejudice.

Insanity is not the absence of sanity, but the willingness to ignore it for a purpose. Chaos is the result of this choice. I relish in both.

23 minutes ago, Sauron said:

I don't know if there's a statistically higher chance for pit bulls to be more aggressive, I'm pretty sure there have been studies indicating that the breed itself is not inherently more aggressive than other similarly sized breeds. It's a big dog so it is potentially dangerous, but it needs to be evaluated for your specific dog rather than for the entire breed.

Just to cite something, here's an article showing that dog bites increased after pit bulls were banned in Ontario:

https://globalnews.ca/news/2527882/torontos-pit-bulls-are-almost-gone-so-why-are-there-more-dog-bites-than-ever/

What breeds bite more overall seems to be more related to the popularity of that breed (and therefore a higher likelyhood of your dog bite coming from that breed) rather than anything else.

If you look around you may find articles from a gentleman named Merritt Cliffton who seems to have a personal vendetta against pit bulls; just be aware that he's not a reliable source of information on the subject... https://btoellner.typepad.com/kcdogblog/2011/09/merritt-clifton-when-the-numbers-just-dont-add-up.html

They are not more aggressive than other breads really. Just a bad rap in general.

Pits are super loving family dogs. Great with kids too. 

My Malinois, which is known attack and watch dog breed, is super awesome family member. He scares the F out of everyone though lol.

21 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

They are not more aggressive than other breads really. Just a bad rap in general.

Pits are super loving family dogs. Great with kids too. 

My Malinois, which is known attack and watch dog breed, is super awesome family member. He scares the F out of everyone though lol.

I also think the Danish laws are not against the Breed as an especially bad breed, however they have an owner type, so it was the simplest way of trying to limit aggresive dogs. because most "bad owners" had these types of dogs..

i actually think most bites are from the Golden Retriever which is known as a family dog, however they are not the severity of the Pit or other dogs like it. 

As said earlier having seen a 6 year old being molested by the "WELL TRAINED" dog, from a family that loved it, i just have this "reserved mindset" about dogs.. i think they should at all times be kept in leash or inside.

having multiple dogs in our neighborhood "getting away from owners" does not help me.. last time the neighbours german shepard came hunting a cat in full speed through our garden while my 4 year old at the time, was sitting in a plastic car at the time.. it did not do anything, but i have never been that mad a neighbor before... 

1 hour ago, Jtalk4456 said:

Simply put, if you're one of the owners trying to breed a vicious attack dog and be a terrible owner, then you're gonna pick something scary looking. So naturally big aggressive looking dogs have been coveted by bad owners fitting this stereotype, and so it perpetuates itself. I love any animal, but if I see this running at me day or night
image.png.3e029e0449b3b3d55aba2f9667caf94c.png

I'M RUNNING! I assume the worst and hope for the best because if god forbid it is the worst, I'm in trouble. Even a seasoned fighter can be in trouble next to a wild animal, and I'm no seasoned fighter, I'm not even lightly salted or buttered.
Any dog when trained to be so can be a good dog or a terrifying hellspawn. Look at this and tell me you wouldn't start backing away when you saw this moving toward you

Demon chihuahua : r/DamnThatsTerrifying

Teeth are teeth and our skin is not very tooth resistant, so fear is natural. Humans love to take fear and turn it into stereotype and prejudice.

I didn't know that Pits come in Black coats. I swear I have the same or almost the same Pic as the chwiwa holding a Synge in it's mouth. Looked like it was on Drugs.

17 hours ago, whm1974 said:

I have heard that there no Bad Breeds, but Bad Owners. T

for every breed but chihuahuas this is 100% true

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

1 hour ago, RasmusDC said:

I also think the Danish laws are not against the Breed as an especially bad breed, however they have an owner type, so it was the simplest way of trying to limit aggresive dogs. because most "bad owners" had these types of dogs..

i actually think most bites are from the Golden Retriever which is known as a family dog, however they are not the severity of the Pit or other dogs like it. 

As said earlier having seen a 6 year old being molested by the "WELL TRAINED" dog, from a family that loved it, i just have this "reserved mindset" about dogs.. i think they should at all times be kept in leash or inside.

having multiple dogs in our neighborhood "getting away from owners" does not help me.. last time the neighbours german shepard came hunting a cat in full speed through our garden while my 4 year old at the time, was sitting in a plastic car at the time.. it did not do anything, but i have never been that mad a neighbor before... 

It's always circumstantial. We all have a story or two about dogs. bad and good. 

Dogs generally only focus on one thing at a time. In your case the cat. The kid wasn't in any danger. The dog probably didn't notice the kid at all during the cat chase. 

A dog that humps kids generally is unfixed and untrained to understand the kid is higher in the pack then him/herself. So I don't buy the quoted "well trained" statement unfortunately. 

Dogs do have personalities, each special. All of which will respond great from repetition and positive reinforcement training. But it's always repetition. Some "tricks" take over 2000 repetitions before the dog has it correct. Some "tricks" more, some less. 

Single word commands. If you have an intelligent species, they will learn your body movement before you even use the commanded words. This in return, the owner must also know the dogs body language and this helps understanding the dogs mood and in situations, may help deter bad behaviors. 

There's a lot to owning a dog. It's not just buy it and Oh look how cute..... like my wife or daughter typically think.