Linus Tech Tips Lottery (Forum Suggestion)

JLCitadel

So had a interesting idea, you can donate x amount of money to be part of a lottery each month, and at the end of the month, one random lucky person is chosen, and linus / slick build a pc using that money for them, then sign it?

(or something along those lines? would be a creative fun idea for users who can't afford a 500-700$+ build)

@Lanoi

Heaven's Society - Like Anime? Check us Out Here!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i don't want to take money from hard working families. i'd rather take money from people who don't really need it and at that point are telling me to shut up and take their money

Or just have people donate money who don't need it and have Linus and/or Slick gather PC parts for ANY random member with... Say... 500 or 1000+ posts (so people can't just create an account and have a chance to win).

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

i don't want to take money from hard working families. i'd rather take money from people who don't really need it and at that point are telling me to shut up and take their money

lol i don't work bro. but i'd donate like 10$ a month to people trying to build

Or just have people donate money who don't need it and have Linus and/or Slick gather PC parts for ANY random member with... Say... 500 or 1000+ posts (so people can't just create an account and have a chance to win).

Well yes of course there would rules silly goose ^_^

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I guess, but the problem then becomes, how do we choose who gets the PC? Do you get more entries if you donate more money? But then the people that need it the least would probably end up getting it. 

Setup Video -----------Peasant Crushing Specs----------- 4K Benchmarks

-CPU- i7 3930k @4.8GHz 1.4v -Mobo- Asus Rampage IV Extreme -GPUs- 2x GTX Titan Hydrocopper SLI -RAM- 32GB (8x4GB) Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz -Storage- 500GB Samsung 840 SSD | 2TB WD Green HDD

-Monitors- 3x BenQ XL2420T | 1x Dell U2713HM -Mouse- Steelseries Rival -Keyboard- Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown -Headphones- Audio Techinca ATH-M50 -Microphone- RØDE NT1-A

Yay lottery about Expensive hardware:D

I am in!

(as long as its Slicks/linus hardware )

[spoiler= Dream machine (There is also a buildlog)]

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe - CPU: I7 5820k @4.4 ghz 1.225vcore - GPU: 2x Asus GTX 970 Strix edition - Mainboard: Asus X99-S - RAM: HyperX predator 4x4 2133 mhz - HDD: Seagate barracuda 2 TB 7200 rpm - SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB SSD - PSU: Corsair HX1000i - Case fans: 3x Noctua PPC 140mm - Radiator fans: 3x Noctua PPC 120 mm - CPU cooler: Fractal design Kelvin S36 together with Noctua PPCs - Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Cherry gaming keyboard - mouse: Steelseries sensei raw - Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud Build Log

how to differentiate the two on a forum? im a hard working 15yr old jus sayin...

linus already addressed this, there are other ways for e.g. ip address and such

In the grim darkness of the far future, there is only a GTX 1080, just a single 1080, where my glorious PC once stood....

For that is all I need, For the Emperor of Man, Jen-Hsun Huang, protects. We march for Nvidia, and we shall know no fear!

It's a nice idea, but they've already said that shipping is expensive in Canada, so shipping a full system would be insanely expensive. At a stretch, it could work in Canada alone, but everyone from outside would have no chance. 

Maybe something similar but having a few Steam game codes instead. 

So had a interesting idea, you can donate x amount of money to be part of a lottery each month, and at the end of the month, one random lucky person is chosen, and linus / slick build a pc using that money for them, then sign it?

(or something along those lines? would be a creative fun idea for users who can't afford a 500-700$+ build)

@Lanoi

too much legal issues to do this

AAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGHHHHH!!!!

It's a nice idea, but they've already said that shipping is expensive in Canada, so shipping a full system would be insanely expensive. At a stretch, it could work in Canada alone, but everyone from outside would have no chance. 

Maybe something similar but having a few Steam game codes instead. 

Completely agree, as much as it would be lovely to receive a nice signed gaming PC, it would probably cost more to ship it than to build it. xD Steam Game Codes sound interesting and maybe a signed T-Shirts and other goodies.

Completely agree, as much as it would be lovely to receive a nice signed gaming PC, it would probably cost more to ship it than to build it. xD Steam Game Codes sound interesting and maybe a signed T-Shirts and other goodies.

True, I suppose there could be like rankings with it, the more money donated, the more you get.

Ex - 500-700 just rig 800-1000 rig + shirts 1200+ Rig + Shirts + gamecodes

but i'd rather see just the build side of it, and then other stuff added in later.

True, I suppose there could be like rankings with it, the more money donated, the more you get.

Ex - 500-700 just rig 800-1000 rig + shirts 1200+ Rig + Shirts + gamecodes

but i'd rather see just the build side of it, and then other stuff added in later.

Are you suggesting that people donate $500 to enter the lottery? Or that if the lottery raises $500 then it would be just a rig and so on? Little confused. Pretty sure people don't have $500 dollars for just a chance of winning. xD

Are you suggesting that people donate $500 to enter the lottery? Or that if the lottery raises $500 then it would be just a rig and so on? Little confused. Pretty sure people don't have $500 dollars for just a chance of winning. xD

Common sense should tell you the answer to that one mate.

Common sense should tell you the answer to that one mate.

Nope I was generally confused but re-reading your post it now seems clearer. I think I need to sleep more, either that or drink more coffee. (I don't drink coffee) But on that, my original post wasn't suggesting that you should get t-shirts and stuff on top of the rig. I was saying it would make it more practical if it was less heavy items such as signed T-Shirts and other goods and a ticket was like $2-3 or something like that. Less money spent on shipping.

Gambling is bad

CPUIntel 4670k  Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z87X-D3H  RAMKingston HyperX 8GB  GPU - EVGA 780  Case - Fractal Design Define R4    Storage - 2TB WD Black, Samsung 840 Evo 128GB     PSU - Corsair RM650  Display -  Benq XL2430T and Acer S235HL  Cooling - CM Hyper 212 Evo  Keyboard - Corsair K95  Mouse - Razer Deathadder  Sound - Sennheiser HD 558                                 Mic - Blue Snowball  Phone- OnePlus One  Tablet - Nvidia Shield

too much legal issues to do this

Pretty sure whoever wins would have to be 18 years or older and have to pay taxes on it, especially if it costs over 1,000$ I'd imagine?

Considering it's "income" technically ?

@OP   I don't agree with this, whoever doesn't win and donates a lot of money will complain. Also if we make it so members need a certain amount of post count, the forums will be flooded with even MORE immature trolls that spam to get post count.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

Besides legal issues? I mean in here you need permit to run any lottery/money collecting thing. Its pretty much same in all 1st world countries. I think in USA some states have forbidden such entirely. Then there's fact that there are underaged users. Since age limit for being underage is bit vague (but forum has to obey Canadian law) any lottery would have to be for only user over 18. So in short, too many legal issues. Why not just keep donating for Linus & co.?

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

No I don't think this would be a good idea. Imagine if someone donates $500 and someone else donates $20 and the person who donated $20 wins. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900x  GPU: ASUS Strix rtx 2080 Super RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 8gb x4 PSU: Corsair HX850i Motherboard: ASUS Strix x570-E Storage: Samsung 840 pro, Samsung 970 evo 1tb nvme, segate 2tb Case: NZXT H510I Cooling: Corsair h100i

no....

even though I wanted to vote Slick the horse...

Aesthetics of rigs matter

If you're interested, participate in LTT Build Offs