Needs more salt - Intel Raptor Lake CPU Falls to Core i9-12900K, Ryzen 9 5950X in Early Leaked Benchmark

Lightwreather

Summary

Hardware detective Komachi_Ensaka has dug up what appears to be the first benchmark for Intel's Raptor Lake processors

Quotes

BAPCo's Crossmark software labeled the 13th Gen Raptor Lake chip as a "Genuine Intel 0000" processor, so its exact model is unknown for the moment. Therefore, we should take the specifications with a pinch of salt since it's normal for software to misreport unreleased hardware.

According to the report, the Raptor Lake processor reportedly wields 24 cores and 32 logical cores. For reference, the Core i9-12900K comes with eight Golden Cove cores and eight Gracemont cores, for a total of 16 cores and 24 logical cores. It's possible the core count is from a reporting error on the software's part, but more likely is that Intel has upped Raptor Lake's E-core count. There have been rumors that Intel might add more Gracement cores to Raptor Lake, and the report on the mystery Raptor Lake processor indicates an 8P+16E design.

The person or company that tested the Raptor Lake processor has erased the submission from Crossmark's database, which isn't too surprising. In fact, Intel has a history of close ties with Business Applications Performance Corporation (BAPCo), the company that created the Crossmark benchmark.

My thoughts

So, take this with a large heap of salt. This is almost certainly not going to be the final (or even near to) the performance that one can expect from it. But it might show that Intel is very likely in the process of validating the µarch on early samples. Welp, I'm going to have to go to bed soon, so hence, why I'm keeping this short. BUt yea, take this with a mountain of salt and wait, pretty certain we might see it by the end of 2022.

Sources

Tom's Hardware

Komachi_Ensaka

"The most important step a man can take. It’s not the first one, is it?
It’s the next one. Always the next step, Dalinar."
–Chapter 118, Oathbringer, Stormlight Archive #3 by Brandon Sanderson

Older stuff:

Spoiler

"A high ideal missed by a little, is far better than low ideal that is achievable, yet far less effective"

If you think I'm wrong, correct me. If I've offended you in some way tell me what it is and how I can correct it. I want to learn, and along the way one can make mistakes; Being wrong helps you learn what's right.

Intel's Raptor Lake processors

What the heck is that name? I thought Alder Lake was already bad. (at least not as bad as sony for their smartphones)

Also, we should take a big grain of salt, but if these are real performance benchmarks, AMD might beat Intel again. Then, Intel might pull a “Rocket Lake” move on us and downgrade the processors, then do an “Alder Lake” move and beat AMD, and it just goes on and on and on. Please Intel, I have faith in you.

how are you doing today

Intel should name it "Salt Lake" or something or "Miserable Lake*.

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

>Early BIOS that barely supports the chip.

>Eng sample that's low clocked.

Tom's Hardware posting mindless drivel again.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

52 minutes ago, DildorTheDecent said:

>Early BIOS that barely supports the chip.

>Eng sample that's low clocked.

Tom's Hardware posting mindless drivel again.

Kind of the point for leaks, just get the name or "info" out,  good news or bad news doesn't matter (spinning comes later and is not subject of "leaks")

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

28 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

Kind of the point for leaks, just get the name or "info" out,  good news or bad news doesn't matter (spinning comes later and is not subject of "leaks")

The issue is with the write up. Tom's banging on about how it's garbage when even a Redditor can figure out that it doesn't represent the final product as it's just an engineering sample.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

I think the big question is: Is this the I9 or a lower skew? Obviously as an early sample i don't expect it to be anywhere near final performance either but weather this is an I9 or an I7 would be very interesting info.

4 minutes ago, CarlBar said:

I think the big question is: Is this the I9 or a lower skew? Obviously as an early sample i don't expect it to be anywhere near final performance either but weather this is an I9 or an I7 would be very interesting info.

The 8 + 16 core count matches up with the previously leaked listings for the i9, with the i7 coming in as an 8+8 config.

The previously leaked roadmap also suggested scaling up to 8 + 32 by 15th gen core (2023), but who knows what might change by then. It also detailed the move to TSMC 3nm for 2024's release and claimed that a brand new core architecture design was being developed from the ground up (just like Ryzen) for 2025's release that would supposedly be "the biggest architectural change in CPI architecture since the introduction of the Core architecture in 2006" - this is supposedly what Glenn Hinton was hired to work on back in January of this year.

It certainly seems like Intel has big plans and I'm excited to see what happens (real competition???) but of course it is just a leaked roadmap and even if it is accurate from the source, we all know that roadmaps don't always run to schedule - especially when you're looking 3-4 years into the future. 

Intel R&D envisions 10nm chips by 2015, already developing 14nm process |  TechSpot

... yes it scared me too that 2025 is only just over 3 years away.

CPU: i7 4790k, RAM: 16GB DDR3, GPU: GTX 1060 6GB

"aNy gOoD pR iS gOoD pR"

No.

Useful threads: PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | Graphics Card Cooling Tier List ❤️

Baby: MPG X570 GAMING PLUS | AMD Ryzen 9 5900x /w PBO | Corsair H150i Pro RGB | ASRock RX 7900 XTX Phantom Gaming OC (3020Mhz & 2650Memory) | Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 32GB DDR4 (4x8GB) 3600 MHz | Corsair RM1000x |  WD_BLACK SN850 | WD_BLACK SN750 | Samsung EVO 850 | Kingston A400 |  PNY CS900 | Lian Li O11 Dynamic White | Display(s): Samsung Oddesy G7, ASUS TUF GAMING VG27AQZ 27" & MSI G274F

I also drive a volvo as one does being norwegian haha, a volvo v70 d3 from 2016.

Reliability was a key thing and its my second car, working pretty well for its 6 years age xD

On 12/5/2021 at 12:58 AM, tim0901 said:

The 8 + 16 core count matches up with the previously leaked listings for the i9, with the i7 coming in as an 8+8 config.

Late getting back to this, but wasn't aware of that, oops. Honestly not sure how good this is going to be. Will it blow Zen 3 out of the water? Sure. But it's going to be competing against Zen 4 and i'm not sure some more E cores are going to let it keep up there, depending ofc on what AMD is planning. Details seem painfully sparse on that atm.

What's the point of even posting this when you know full well that's not going to be the performance at launch...which is ages away? 

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

On 12/5/2021 at 7:17 AM, DildorTheDecent said:

Tom's banging on about how it's garbage when even a Redditor can figure out that it doesn't represent the final product as it's just an engineering sample.

I think you're being a little too optimistic there

✨FNIGE✨

1 hour ago, FnigePython said:

I think you're being a little too optimistic there

He's referring to the original source Reddit post Toms Hardware was using. The person who first spotted the leak was clearly aware of the effect early BIOS and early sample was having.

Honestly thinking some more i have to wonder how much memory Bandwidth is going to limit performance on the final product. Lets be fair it's really just going to be the current i9 but with another 8 E cores and some minor tweaks from what we know so far. On paper thats a decent but not eye popping productivity workload boost and a limited if any boost for gaming. But that assumes productivity side that the memory bandwidth isn't a limitation. To be fair doesn't seem to be an issue with the current generation, but not sure how well that will hold, so those 8 extra E cores may not end up giving as much of a performance bump as expected.