facial recognition

bigbosss

Hi was wondering if its possible to track down someone using facial recognition like it happens in movies?

yes

|:Insert something funny:|

-----------------

#

1 minute ago, adarw said:

yes

so hypothetically if i had a database with face recognition data and idk where that person is and want to find them and he or she does not want to be found how do i do this

Depends on what we are talking about. Are we talking about governmental organizations with access to large-scale databases? Then sure it's theoretically possible. China is doing it already to track their citizens. 

Are we a talking about Joe-schmoe with a bit of python experience? No. 

It all depends on what datasets and hardware the organization has access to. 

ask me about my homelab

on a personal quest convincing the general public to return to the glory that is 12" laptops.

cheap and easy cable management is my fetish.

2 minutes ago, Skipple said:

Depends on what we are talking about. Are we talking about governmental organizations with access to large-scale databases? Then sure it's theoretically possible. China is doing it already to track their citizens. 

Are we a talking about Joe-schmoe with a bit of python experience? No. 

It all depends on what datasets and hardware the organization has access to. 

if i hypothetically have access to all the required hardware and datasets how would i do it?

I was wondering if there is something like the algorithm from arrow where felicity Smoak uses an algorithm to find someone using public cams but instead of public cams i am using my own private cams

11 minutes ago, bigbosss said:

if i hypothetically have access to all the required hardware and datasets how would i do it?

I was wondering if there is something like the algorithm from arrow where felicity Smoak uses an algorithm to find someone using public cams but instead of public cams i am using my own private cams

I'm not understanding the environment you are attempting to apply facial recognition to or what you expect the outcome to be. Regardless, facial recognition neural networks are incredibly complex and I don't have enough experience to begin to know how you would deploy one as you are describing. Like everything else, I'm sure there is an opensource solution for this out there somewhere if you look hard enough.

This conversation makes me feel weird. 

ask me about my homelab

on a personal quest convincing the general public to return to the glory that is 12" laptops.

cheap and easy cable management is my fetish.

Hasn't there been a very recent LTT video about this? 

I think if you want to apply this for your own house it's pretty easy (not cheap probably). 

LTT used it as a "If camera sees Linus, turn on Spotify playlist XYZ" type of thing and not for finding someone. 

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

5 hours ago, bigbosss said:

If you had access to the datasets you'd also have access to the software designed to make use of them.

And yes LTT has recently made a video talking of some solutions you can use for yourself at home although it was in the context of home assistant.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

On 11/27/2021 at 7:56 AM, bigbosss said:

so hypothetically if i had a database with face recognition data and idk where that person is and want to find them and he or she does not want to be found how do i do this

You rely on the fact that a wanted person's face is going to show up on a CCTV camera image somewhere, sooner or later. Each and every camera image would have to be available to the machine performing the search, including information where that camera is stationed and maybe which direction it is looking.

This requires a large amount of cameras "everywhere", which is why it's only really possible for nation states. It also means it'll only work if the person you want to find is visiting public places that have cameras and their face is visible to at least one of them. If they're hiding somewhere in the country side, actively avoiding places with cameras, chances are very low you're going to find them this way.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply