How to Safely Try Windows 11 (SPONSORED)

BellLMG

Windows 11 is here and though we all want to try it out, you don't want to risk losing important data in case you want to go back to Windows 10. Don't worry, Linus is here to show you how to upgrade to Windows 11 and convert back to Windows 10 safely with Acronis Cyber Protect Home Office.

Checkout Acronis Cyber Protect Home Office today at: https://lmg.gg/Acronis

6 minutes ago, emosun said:

Idk you still need to convince me to leave windows 7 lol

They dropped support a while ago, and there are lots of big security flaws that will never get fixed.

Also a lot of third party apps are gonna drop support for windows 7 soon or have already, so things like web browsing won't work well soon.

2 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

They dropped support a while ago, and there are lots of big security flaws that will never get fixed.

Also a lot of third party apps are gonna drop support for windows 7 soon or have already, so things like web browsing won't work well soon.

I think one of my most favorite statistics was that windows 7 is generally more popular than windows 8 , linux , or mac os. 

So long as the users are there they will make software. Sent from my android 4 phone running opera

3 minutes ago, emosun said:

I think one of my most favorite statistics was that windows 7 is generally more popular than windows 8 , linux , or mac os. 

But market share is going down fast, and for almost all users, windows 10/11 will work just fine for them. So why support a dieing platform? Like how almost no one is making XP software. ESP since new hardware won't run windows 7(or without a lot of work) new users won't be using windows 7.

Windows Backup: I'll say it, it sucks. It's unreliable.  Don't use it.  (I've had more then once it was setup, working fine for months and then check on it and just wasn't doing anything.  And I couldn't even fix it!)

1 hour ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

But market share is going down fast, and for almost all users, windows 10/11 will work just fine for them. So why support a dieing platform? Like how almost no one is making XP software. ESP since new hardware won't run windows 7(or without a lot of work) new users won't be using windows 7.

Why do people pick up coins they find on the ground.

Honestly until browser/steam support ends I have very little reason to not use it. Youd think steam wouldnt still support it until you check the hardware survey and notice literally more people running 7 than osx or linux. 

The best upgrade path for Win-OS <insert your Win-OS version here> is upgrading to Linux 😛

For starters, you actually have a choice, not some corporate down-yer-throat-ramming to force you to "update" to their latest cr@p with even less privacy and ever more data hoarding: the choice to not do it :old-eyeroll:  And if you choose to install Linux, there's plenty to choose from: suitable for hardware that other OS has given up long ago, quirky special effects, or just plain solid stability, tweaking everything in sight to whatever you like. Or not.

Sorry, couldn't resist 😛

"You don't need eyes to see, you need vision"

(Faithless, 'Reverence' from the 1996 Reverence album)

"Windows 10 is going to be supported by Microsoft all the way until October 2025 so you have nearly half a decade to upgrade" - That's quite an odd way to say "3 years 11 month". 😁

Acronis is too expensive for me. What else are my options?

I dont need all the crazy antivirus and cloud backups but i want it to be easy and does this entire OS backup and restore

1 minute ago, BaidDSB said:

I dont need all the crazy antivirus and cloud backups but i want it to be easy and does this entire OS backup and restore

Maybe Hasleo Backup Suite:

https://www.easyuefi.com/backup-software/backup-suite-free.html

I edit my posts more often than not

16 minutes ago, Dutch_Master said:

The best upgrade path for Win-OS <insert your Win-OS version here> is upgrading to Linux 😛

For starters, you actually have a choice, not some corporate down-yer-throat-ramming to force you to "update" to their latest cr@p with even less privacy and ever more data hoarding: the choice to not do it :old-eyeroll:  And if you choose to install Linux, there's plenty to choose from: suitable for hardware that other OS has given up long ago, quirky special effects, or just plain solid stability, tweaking everything in sight to whatever you like. Or not.

Sorry, couldn't resist 😛

windows = ikea furniture

linux = heres a saw and a tree , make a table , good luck , don't ask us for help until you mastered carpentry

57 minutes ago, BaidDSB said:

Or just use the free Windows rollback utility or make a Windows backup onto a NAS with the Control Panel\System and Security\Backup and Restore (Windows 7) settings and include a restore option.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

2 hours ago, BaidDSB said:

I use Paragon Backup Free

I don't understand why the advice for people who have unsupported CPUs is to do a clean installation of Windows 11.

How on earth is the Windows 10 digital license going to be transferred if you do that??? Those people will end up with Windows 11, but inactivated.

Just now, RainfallWithin said:

How on earth is the Windows 10 digital license going to be transferred if you do that???

Hardware ID.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

1 minute ago, RainfallWithin said:

How on earth is the Windows 10 digital license going to be transferred if you do that???

Windows licenses are tied to your Microsoft account and/or your motherboard. Even if you do a fresh install, once you boot Windows it should activate (keyword should, this is MS after all)

elephants

1 minute ago, Arika S said:

Hardware ID.

I have done 100's of upgrades from Windows 7 to Windows 10. If you do a clean installation it doesn't work; it has to be an upgrade.

6 minutes ago, FakeKGB said:

Windows licenses are tied to your Microsoft account and/or your motherboard. Even if you do a fresh install, once you boot Windows it should activate (keyword should, this is MS after all)

Thank you, but unfortunately it only ever transferred the license if I did an upgrade first. After that I could do a clean installation; if I did a clean installation from the beginning, the license never transferred.

That video made me want to force the upgrade to Win11. Buuuuuut... heeeeeeeeeh... I'll wait until WinUpdate does it on its own. Whenever that will be.

6 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

I was using Windows 7 as a main OS until mid-April this year. Browsing worked perfectly fine.

Windows 11 = new PC.

I'm fine with my PC and don't want to upgrade until the PC breaks.

Please note that my answers is based on experience.

Dell Vostro 270s | Core i3 2100 | Windows 10 | 4GB DDR3 RAM

This text should not be seen on Dark/Night mode.

This text should not be seen on Day/Light mode.

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to
(")_(") help him on his way to world domination.

-Rakshit Jain

Warning though: Acronis STILL excludes web browser data (your extension data and history etc) from your backups.

I made a thread about it on their forums way back in 2016 and they never explained the technical reasons for these exclusions and chose to do nothing about it despite the traction the thread had gotten.

Very nonchalant people behind the software that still haven't done the proper research on which browser files and folders are fine to exclude and which to keep. It's not that hard to figure out the data structure inside the user data folders of Chrome, Firefox etc.

They didn't even bother changing the default settings for us users when we asked them nicely on their forums.

Tl;dr Please double check your exclusion settings if you buy their software.

11 hours ago, emosun said:

Idk you still need to convince me to leave windows 7 lol

Should probably run an OS that gets security updates

10 hours ago, emosun said:

linux = heres a saw and a tree , make a table , good luck , don't ask us for help until you mastered carpentry

I mean, that's nonsense. Installing Ubuntu, PopOS or Fedora is just as easy as getting going with Windows - you boot from USB, go through an installer, and you have an OS ready to go. And the communities around all of those distros are super helpful, as they are for most.

11 hours ago, emosun said:

Why do people pick up coins they find on the ground.

Honestly until browser/steam support ends I have very little reason to not use it. Youd think steam wouldnt still support it until you check the hardware survey and notice literally more people running 7 than osx or linux. 

Nvidia and AMD have both dropped support for Win 7 so the scenario is already very real and near.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.