Facebooks new logo for Meta looking like its infringing on a German app companies logo

V3ptur

It seems as though Facebooks new logo for their new brand Meta is pretty much an identical copy of a German development app business called M-sense Migräne by Newsenselab. Both logos are extremely identical to one another which could lead to a potential lawsuit. 

Quotes

"We are very honoured that Facebook felt inspired by the logo of our migraine app - maybe they’ll get inspired by our data privacy procedures as well"

My thoughts

I think this is extremely funny as they pretty much look 99% identical. I'm just curious as to how the lawsuit would go down if they wanted to take Meta to court, should be quite interesting. Also the fact is Facebook most probably has invested a lot into their rebrand and if they lose a potential lawsuit it could be more problems in the can for them. 

Sources

https://www.linkedin.com/feed/update/urn:li:activity:6859884591239589888/

https://www.m-sense.de/en/

1635523936002.jpg

1607706381279.jpgHqrrEcrI_400x400.png

It's not even one of those cases where some say they think logos are too similar but they aren't really. They are actually almost the same.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

2 hours ago, V3ptur said:

"We are very honoured that Facebook felt inspired by the logo of our migraine app

i doubt that.

I designed a logo basically identical to this too back in my high school VD class 15 years ago. it's not exactly a very complex design.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

7 minutes ago, Arika S said:

i doubt that.

I designed a logo basically identical to this too back in my high school VD class 15 years ago. it's not exactly a very complex design.

I'm pretty sure that was a more tongue in cheek comment and they are self aware enough that they wouldn't have come up on Facebook's radar when designing their new logo. That said both could co-exists without any real issues, though if Sense wants to defend their logo then they have every right to. As much as that pains me to be sort of defending Facebook here so I'll counter that.

If Facebook go after Sense then that's giant flaming proof of just how bad of a company they are.

Definitely tongue in cheek, there's a movie service using the same logo in gold. Nothing going to come from this

Edit: moviebase

Pretty sure I've seen a bunch of apps while browsing the playstore, with a similar logo before. Also, that logo is basically a fked up infinity symbol.

Infinity - Wikipedia

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

It looks to be based on a type of lissajous curve. Just stylised slightly to make it look a bit more like an M. I think that's why I think of the ABC (Australian Broadcasting Corporation) logo, which is also based on a lissjous curve, when I see the Meta logo.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lissajous_curve

Edit: Yep, I kept reading the wiki page and it actually lists Meta's logo.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lissajous_curve#Company_logos

Facebook's rebrand into Meta Platforms is also a Lissajous Curve

Because the logo is an established 'thing' I think that would actually help Meta's case that they didn't steal it from the other app company, if they were to ever try to sue for infringing on their logo. I extremely doubt they are going to sue though. This is certainly just the app company trying to get media attention while everyone is buzzing about Facebook/Meta by trying to attach their brand on to it.

Edited by Spotty

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

1 hour ago, Spotty said:

It looks to be based on a type of lissajous curve. Just stylised slightly to make it look a bit more like an M. I think that's why I think of the ABC (Australian Broadcasting Corporation) logo, which is also based on a lissjous curve, when I see the Meta logo.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lissajous_curve

Edit: Yep, I kept reading the wiki page and it actually lists Meta's logo.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lissajous_curve#Company_logos

Because the logo is an established 'thing' I think that would actually help Meta's case that they didn't steal it from the other app company, if they were to ever try to sue for infringing on their logo. I extremely doubt they are going to sue though. This is certainly just the app company trying to get media attention while everyone is buzzing about Facebook/Meta by trying to attach their brand on to it.

Facebook really shouldn't have called itself Meta in the first place, they're essentially hijacking a very common word. Now had they had the foresight to call themselves "MetaBook" or "MetaMeta" or even something less profound like "MetaReality" if people really wanted to call it "Meta" for short, then that's valid and it side-steps the attempt to claim "Meta". Claiming "Meta" now is like if Microsoft tried to rename itself to "Windows", yes we know Microsoft is known for the Windows Operating System, but there is a lot more value in the "Microsoft" brand than the "Windows" one.

As for the logo, a sideways 8 is an infinity. That is literately what sites with "8" in them mean that aren't chinese (in which 8 means lucky.) It doesn't take much, or any effort to stylize it, and it extremely common in use. 

Honestly, good luck with the lawsuit anyone who wants to sue facebook for the logo. If anything I hope FB made merchandise with it that they will now have to modify.

9 hours ago, Kisai said:

Facebook really shouldn't have called itself Meta in the first place, they're essentially hijacking a very common word. Now had they had the foresight to call themselves "MetaBook" or "MetaMeta" or even something less profound like "MetaReality" if people really wanted to call it "Meta" for short, then that's valid and it side-steps the attempt to claim "Meta". Claiming "Meta" now is like if Microsoft tried to rename itself to "Windows", yes we know Microsoft is known for the Windows Operating System, but there is a lot more value in the "Microsoft" brand than the "Windows" one.

As for the logo, a sideways 8 is an infinity. That is literately what sites with "8" in them mean that aren't chinese (in which 8 means lucky.) It doesn't take much, or any effort to stylize it, and it extremely common in use. 

Honestly, good luck with the lawsuit anyone who wants to sue facebook for the logo. If anything I hope FB made merchandise with it that they will now have to modify.

I agree, meta is a useful word and its stupid for a company to call itself that.

Exactly identical? That’s a bit dramatic.  Eh, very similar, but different. 

16 hours ago, Kisai said:

It's like what happened over here in the UK with broadcasting network Sky TV. Apparently they trademarked the word 'sky' to which a lawsuit was created against Hello Games as their video game No Man's Sky used the word 'sky' within it and the lawsuit lasted around 3 years. The lawsuit was based around how their game having the word 'sky' in it misrepresented the video games and created unofficial association to the Sky Group. 

No Man's Sky settles name dispute - BBC