Intel 12th Gen Core Alder Lake for Desktops: Top SKUs Only, Coming November 4th +Z690 Chipset

Lightwreather
6 minutes ago, igormp said:

Linux already has had support for hybrid designs (see ARM CPUs), and intel has already sent many patches related to alder lake that are already in the upstream

So not that long then. Still...the architecture is vastly different to any ARM CPU with the same design principle.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Apparently DDR5 speeds are more disappointing than I thought:

DRAMADL_575px.png

If the motherboard has two memory slots total, then the maximum support is DDR5-4800 in any configuration.
If the motherboard has four memory slots total, then the maximum support is DDR5-4400 when two slots are filled with any memory.
If all four memory slots are filled, single rank memory will support up to DDR5-4000.
If all four memory slots are filled, dual-rank memory will support up to DDR5-3600.

FX6300 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 | Hyper 212x | 3x 8GB + 1x 4GB @ 1600MHz | Gigabyte 2060 Super | Corsair CX650M | LG 43UK6520PSA
ASUS X550LN | i5 4210u | 12GB
Lenovo N23 Yoga

3 minutes ago, ARC1T3CT said:

Why Intel????

So, basically ALL of the bragging of "UP TO 30% BETTER THAN AMD" is pretty much entirely and totally worthless and it'll in the end be like 5%. If at all.

Also this whole unboxing thing and other useless stuff almost a week before actual launch is the dumbest s**t ever. No one cares about theoretical would be, might be stuff. We just want to see hard numbers, not this worthless PR fluff.

4 hours ago, cj09beira said:

so they finally stopped lying about the tdps, but....its still 240W,

that's way too much, seems close to a bulldozer moment if people were consistent, but who are we kidding they wont.

Been running rigs with CPUs that pull that or more, house hasn't melted yet. My 6950X at 4.2GHz seems to chug around 280-300W or more under full AVX allcore, but when gaming (the beefiest workload I actually do) my full system (specs in sig) pulls around 300-350W from the wall according to my kill-a-watt. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

4 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

So, basically ALL of the bragging of "UP TO 30% BETTER THAN AMD" is pretty much entirely and totally worthless and it'll in the end be like 5%. If at all.

Big oof from them, but they've been acting as a scammer for a while.

14 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

Also this whole unboxing thing and other useless stuff almost a week before actual launch is the dumbest s**t ever. No one cares about theoretical would be, might be stuff. We just want to see hard numbers, not this worthless PR fluff.

With ryan behind it its to be expected 

really the reviewers should refuse to show any manufacturer provided benchmarks.

20 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

The earliest public reference I could find about the Win11 AMD performance impact was 7 Oct., nearly a week after Intel apparently did their testing. AMD themselves stated the Win11 performance at the time resulted in "Estimated performance impact of <3-5% in affected applications, with possible outliers in some games." Intel probably did not know of AMD-MS problem and tested what was available at the time. The MS patch did not exist at the time. The AMD updated chipset drivers did not exist at the time.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

10 minutes ago, porina said:

The earliest public reference I could find about the Win11 AMD performance impact was 7 Oct., nearly a week after Intel apparently did their testing. 

And they didn't re-run the tests after the issue became public and got fixed, which doesn't look good for them. 

1 hour ago, igormp said:

Apparently DDR5 speeds are more disappointing than I thought:

DDR5-4800 is 38.4 GB/s per channel (both 32 bit channels aka kinda per DIMM/64bit). DDR4-3600 is 28.8 GB/s per channel.

28 minutes ago, Forbidden Wafer said:

And they didn't re-run the tests after the issue became public and got fixed, which doesn't look good for them. 

These things cost both money and time, for decidedly little gain here.

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

^-^

Just now, Elisis said:

These things cost both money and time, for decidedly little gain here.

Well, I'd say their reputation is worth a lot more than running some benchmarks, but apparently their PR is completely stupid.

1 minute ago, Forbidden Wafer said:

Well, I'd say their reputation is worth a lot more than running some benchmarks, but apparently their PR is completely stupid.

You severely overestimate how much bad rep this will generate.

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

^-^

28 minutes ago, Forbidden Wafer said:

Do you know they didn't? The L3 cache fix from MS was released as a preview on 21st, less than a week ago. The AMD chipset driver seemed to be released the same day.

I don't know if it is the case, but maybe they have done informal testing since, did not see it materially affect the message, and continued with the old results rather than try to shoehorn in new testing.

2 minutes ago, Elisis said:

You severely overestimate how much bad rep this will generate.

Many here do not trust 1st party results anyway. If there is a major discrepancy, it will be turned up in reviewer testing which should be ongoing now.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

1 hour ago, RejZoR said:

Yeah seriously what's this BS, all the tech influencer get to show it today, Roman breaks and delids it but nobody is allowed to turn the freakin thing on on camera - WHY??

Are they expecting a significant amount of people to pre-order/buy before actual reviews are out?

22 minutes ago, Dracarris said:

Yeah seriously what's this BS, all the tech influencer get to show it today, Roman breaks and delids it but nobody is allowed to turn the freakin thing on on camera - WHY??

Are they expecting a significant amount of people to pre-order/buy before actual reviews are out?

because this way they can have their own "benchmark" results marinating in people's heads, so that by the time they see the reviews they have already decided they like the cpu

2 minutes ago, cj09beira said:

because this way they can have their own "benchmark" results marinating in people's heads, so that by the time they see the reviews they have already decided they like the cpu

I really hope not many of their buyers are actually this stupid

6 minutes ago, cj09beira said:

@Dracarris

It also mostly has to do with Youtube reviewers as well, few years (product cycles ago) some of them pushed the boat out and got a bit cheeky and did unboxing videos and showing off their review samples etc before the NDA date for reviews expired. This was just to get views etc etc

Since then Intel, AMD, Nvidia etc have basically accepted this as a thing and now there is even an NDA date for unboxings separate from reviews.

In the past all we would have gotten today is the news announcement of an official release date and pricing, that's it. If you can pre-order (hell even buy) then that is actually outside what Intel allows and is not an official thing.

4 minutes ago, cj09beira said:

Their benchmarks also gets people to pre-order, pre-ordering a CPU is even worse than pre-ordering games IMO.  I don't really see any excuse that Intel couldn't run the tests again with the W11 patches,  and I mean it's kinda ironic too as Intel says benchmarks don't matter.

2 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

Their benchmarks also gets people to pre-order, pre-ordering a CPU is even worse than pre-ordering games IMO.  I don't really see any excuse that Intel couldn't run the tests again with the W11 patches,  and I mean it's kinda ironic too as Intel says benchmarks don't matter.

Intel doesn't do "Pre-Orders", 4th of November is the first "official" time you can purchase the CPUs and when the reviews will go up.

16 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Intel doesn't do "Pre-Orders", 4th of November is the first "official" time you can purchase the CPUs and when the reviews will go up.

Not sure what you mean but pre-orders are up on Amazon at least, and I've seen Z690 boards listed on Newegg.

https://www.techpowerup.com/287990/intel-12th-gen-core-availability-from-november-4-pre-orders-begin-october-27-report

2 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

Not sure what you mean but pre-orders are up on Amazon at least, and I've seen Z690 boards listed on Newegg.

https://www.techpowerup.com/287990/intel-12th-gen-core-availability-from-november-4-pre-orders-begin-october-27-report

Yes 3rd party retailers are selling them, some for quite a few days, this is not sanctioned or technically allowed by Intel right now.

Edit:

And you'll note if you do go on to Amazon and search "12900k" you won't get any hits.

1 hour ago, leadeater said:

DDR5-4800 is 38.4 GB/s per channel (both 32 bit channels aka kinda per DIMM/64bit). DDR4-3600 is 28.8 GB/s per channel.

But 4800 is the best case scenario for the spec, Intel ran the sticks @ 4400. I don't think we can expect XMP to go much over that with this first batch of DDR5, not to mention the latencies.

FX6300 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 | Hyper 212x | 3x 8GB + 1x 4GB @ 1600MHz | Gigabyte 2060 Super | Corsair CX650M | LG 43UK6520PSA
ASUS X550LN | i5 4210u | 12GB
Lenovo N23 Yoga

3 minutes ago, igormp said:

But 4800 is the best case scenario for the spec, Intel ran the sticks @ 4400. I don't think we can expect XMP to go much over that with this first batch of DDR5, not to mention the latencies.

Sure but it'll still be around the 35 GB/s range. Not saying either are good though in raw bandwidth terms, just a nice to know because if you lookup DDR5 bandwidth you'll often see only 51.2 GB/s mentioned which is for DDR5-6400 aka non existent.