Buyer is claiming my GPU arrived unusable/dead, what should I do?

Laytony

What should I do?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. What should I do?

• Tell buyer to ship GPU back ASAP but I lose $70+ this way
    • Let buyer attempt Gigabyte RMA, but someone told me this would complicate things more?
    • Other?

2 hours ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Tell you what. 

Get his system specs.

Be sure he is specific to the PSU make and model.

Ask him to try the card in another system. (remember pics and screen shots.

Most modern boards have an LED that lights up on the board when the GPU has a fault. Same goes for CPU RAM and BOOT device. You want a picture of this specifically. (EDIT) Or error beeps from the diag speaker indicating GPU failure. You can find the beep codes in my signature below to confirm. 

Then maybe after some of that, honor the return.

IMO.

Another idea, send him over to LTT forums and maybe he can get some diagnostic leads from folks around here. 

So small little update and thank you especially

My buyer said it works in his other system so he says it's likely a software issue so there we go--the card is indeed not broken. He's a decent guy afterall it seems and not out here to scam me but it made me age a couple of years. Fingers crossed it works out for the both of us.

22 minutes ago, Laytony said:

My buyer said it works in his other system so he says it's likely a software issue so there we go--the card is indeed not broken. He's a decent guy afterall it seems and not out here to scam me but it made me age a couple of years. Fingers crossed it works out for the both of us.

At least he took the time to diagnose. Good stuff. Should be ok. Now he just needs to diag his rig and figure out the problem. Good Luck gentlemen! 

Another update: 

He says he still can't get it to work on his main PC so he still thinks the gpu is bad afterall. He's done a windows reinstall, reset his cmos, tested 2 gpus that have no issues, and 5 different drives but it keeps sending his PC into a restart loop. I don't have a rat's idea on why it doesn't work on his main PC but works on another system, but it's not my responsibility at this point anymore right? I told him to get it checked at a Microcenter but he keeps pushing the idea of an RMA. I'm so confused, and sorry if I'm dragging this thread out too long.

Update 2:

He's ignored my pleas for him to get it looked at at a local computer store and given me an ultimatum instead: either he RMAs it, returns it, or sells it himself. 

???

4 hours ago, Laytony said:

RMAs it or sells it himself. 

These... He bought and has a working gpu. It's been tested to a satisfactory degree to be shown working. Deal done. It's his. 

8 hours ago, Laytony said:

Another update: 

He says he still can't get it to work on his main PC so he still thinks the gpu is bad afterall. He's done a windows reinstall, reset his cmos, tested 2 gpus that have no issues, and 5 different drives but it keeps sending his PC into a restart loop. I don't have a rat's idea on why it doesn't work on his main PC but works on another system, but it's not my responsibility at this point anymore right? I told him to get it checked at a Microcenter but he keeps pushing the idea of an RMA. I'm so confused, and sorry if I'm dragging this thread out too long.

Update 2:

He's ignored my pleas for him to get it looked at at a local computer store and given me an ultimatum instead: either he RMAs it, returns it, or sells it himself. 

???

Well.... Not the greatest of updates. 

Just have him send it back, shipping on him and you re-test the card. RMA it if you can and wash your hands of it.

Really he should be keeping the card, it worked in 2 systems. Your's and his backup rig. 2 out of 3 makes the card in working order I do believe.

But in the business world the customer is always right. So honor the return and refrain from doing business with this person in the future. 

From my experience, don’t give any refunds until you have the product back in your hands and hopefully you have pics so you can have proof if it’s been swapped or not.

Phone 1 (Daily Driver): Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2 5G

Phone 2 (Work): Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra 5G 256gb

Laptop 1 (Production): 16" MBP2019, i7, 5500M, 32GB DDR4, 2TB SSD

Laptop 2 (Gaming): Toshiba Qosmio X875, i7 3630QM, GTX 670M, 16GB DDR3

On 9/30/2021 at 2:41 PM, Laytony said:

I got really lucky and scored a 3070 so I decided to sell a Gigabyte Eagle 3060ti that I had planned to use initially through r/hardwareswap. I had very briefly tested the 3060ti before using Time Spy and it worked without any issues. Come today, my buyer PMs me saying the GPU went from getting BSODs to being fully dead. He says he wants to attempt an RMA with Gigabyte and that should it get rejected, he will return it back to me for a refund. That means I'll eat up 3% Paypal fees and two shipping costs totaling $70+.

My worst nightmare came true and I'm no longer gonna sell any more hardware online, but what on earth should I do in this situation? I've already contacted the mods and the discord, but the mods from my experience don't really answer my PMs and the discord is kinda dead. I got one opinion but I would like some more.

i would say its a scam, gpus are selling for way too much these days, and they probably dont want to pay that much

On 10/1/2021 at 8:59 AM, Laytony said:

sells it himself

Do you allow returns on buyers remorse?

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

On 9/30/2021 at 7:17 PM, Laytony said:

That is what I would have expected.

The troubleshooting steps should always be:

1) Try a different machine that you know is good

2) Try in your machine with no OC stuff set/installed

Like to me it seems like the BSOD's were because of the OS or CPU/RAM issues that should have been resolved before installing the GPU.

If it was shutting down I'd have said PSU, as that's a typical overcurrent protection thing. But BSOD's tend to be thermals, RAM, CPU, in that order.

4 hours ago, IkeaGnome said:

Do you allow returns on buyers remorse?

AFAIK there's nowhere to even put that you don't allow returns on a Paypal invoice, and even if you did, it doesn't seem like Paypal would GAF.

But anyway, happy ending,

The buyer figured out it was an issue with his B550 board not being compatible with pcie4 cards, being forced to go down to pcie3 from "auto". Very negligible performance hit, but it had nothing to do with my graphics card in the end because he tested it on another pcie4 system to confirm. So I decided to issue him a small little partial refund for his honesty and willingness to patiently diagnose the issue without escalating things like many buyers in those horror stories would do.

He's happy and so am I with how it turned out because this incident really made me realize how easily fucked you can be as a seller online... and quite frankly yesterday, I went in my closet and tossed out every empty box/packing air bags that I had saved for online transactions because I'm very much done with testing my luck with online strangers.

Thank you all for the advices/tuning in.

Without reading all of this, I'm not sure how the RMA works when it's bought secondhand. There's a possibility they won't accept it from the buyer. I would think in that case you could initiate the RMA and just have him ship it to them, then they can ship it back to him.

#Muricaparrotgang

Tell him to send proof by video. If he does anything wrong then it’s your job to tell him and report it to admins if they’re intentional. $70 is huge and you shouldn’t take it lightly by just asking him to ship it back. Also take screenshots of the conversation.

Asus ROG G531GT : i7-9750H - GTX 1650M +700mem - MSI RX6600 Armor 8G M.2 eGPU - Samsung 16+8GB PC4-2666 - Samsung 860 EVO 500G 2.5" - 1920x1080@145Hz (172Hz) IPS panel

Family PC : i5-4570 (-125mV) - cheap dual-pipe cooler - Gigabyte Z87M-HD3 Rev1.1 - Kingston HyperX Fury 4x4GB PC3-1600 - Corsair VX450W - an old Thermaltake ATX case

Test bench 1 G3260 - i5-4690K - 6-pipe cooler - Asus Z97-AR - Panram Blue Lightsaber 2x4GB PC3-2800 - Micron CT500P1SSD8 NVMe - Intel SSD320 40G SSD

iMac 21.5" (late 2011) : i5-2400S, HD 6750M 512MB - Samsung 4x4GB PC3-1333 - WT200 512G SSD (High Sierra) - 1920x1080@60 LCD

Test bench 2: G3260 - H81M-C - Kingston 2x4GB PC3-1600 - Winten WT200 512G

Acer Z5610 "Theatre" C2 Quad Q9550 - G45 Express - 2x2GB PC3-1333 (Samsung) - 1920x1080@60Hz Touch LCD - great internal speakers

what discord?

Do you actually have to take it back?

Was it sold "as is"?

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

I guess it’s because I always sell old stuff not last year stuff to fund this year’s model as I sell as not working on eBay.

I state in the description that I have tested it and it functions etc. I set the starting bid to $1 and let it go. Never been disappointed yet with the sale price.

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz