Any third-party SSDs might work as Xbox X|S storage expansion

Third party PCIe 4.0 storage drives could offer a cheaper solution to Seagate's pricey expansion card for Microsoft's consoles.

Writing in a step-by-step post on the Chinese video-sharing site Bilibili, a user has discovered that it's potentially possible to use any high-speed SSD in the Xbox Series X and S by using an adapter to convert the drive's storage interface—instead of mandating that users who want to expand installable space for newer "Velocity Architecture" games purchase proprietary Series X/S memory cards. (Past-gen software on Series X/S can be installed to older, slower storage options connected via USB ports).

The modder learned via a teardown video that the Xbox Series S uses two PCIe 4.0 ports to house its NVMe SSD and external expansion, and, crucially, that the console's external expansion card uses the CFExpress protocol, which also uses an NVMe interface. (Asian video-sharing sites like Bilibili generally work like YouTube, except users can often post blog-style entries as well as videos, hence the tutorial.)

Another hardware hack that's just one firmware update away from "correction".

Sources

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2021/09/your-standard-ssd-might-work-as-an-xbox-storage-expansion

that is a MASSSSSIVE security flaw and Microsoft should close this hack in a firmware update immediately

31 minutes ago, Alireza said:

that is a MASSSSSIVE security flaw and Microsoft should close this hack in a firmware update immediately

Yes, just like the MASSSSSIVE security flaw of Sony supporting non-factory storage devices since the PS3 and it not resulting in a kernel-level exploit allowing for jailbreaking, hacking, etc.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

2 hours ago, Alireza said:

... it's a game console. and this would be a "hack" that doesn't affect computers outside of the local console. it's not an enterprise data center.

So what exactly do you mean? How can there be anything wrong with this?

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

2 hours ago, TheSLSAMG said:

Yes, just like the MASSSSSIVE security flaw of Sony supporting non-factory storage devices since the PS3 and it not resulting in a kernel-level exploit allowing for jailbreaking, hacking, etc.

This is a good thing though. I would love to dual boot my Xbox into a desktop.

If I had a xbox of course.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

2 hours ago, TheSLSAMG said:

55 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

... it's a game console. and this would be a "hack" that doesn't affect computers outside of the local console. it's not an enterprise data center.

So what exactly do you mean? How can there be anything wrong with this?

29 minutes ago, williamcll said:

This is a good thing though. I would love to dual boot my Xbox into a desktop.

If I had a xbox of course.

the way that xbox Velocity Architecture works is it gives the CPU direct kernel level access to the SSD (its much more complicated than that btw)

and the expansion port is following the same rule as the internal SSD

if this hack can give the attacker a direct kernel access it is possible to find a way to run unsigned code simply by bypassing the hypervisor

How about when you attach any storage to the console, it takes over it, formats, encrypts and makes it its own, and not load any other stuff that can appear on this disk besides the stuff it "knows". That is if it is possible to do it on the software level without the need for any additional hardware.