Linus fearmongering again

Agojama1
2 hours ago, Ashley MLP Fangirl said:

ugh stupid argument, even ltt have proved that the "apple tax" is a myth

what? we know parts costs on phones, 6/6S/7/8 cost them something like 250$ in parts for a 700$ phone. apple easily has 100% margin there
X costed 370$ in parts and were sold for 1000$ even if it cost them 130$ to assemble it they still make 100%

and what linus said was they cost the same as building it yourself for many iMacs/ mac pros that doesn't factor in apples lower than retail cost on things like CPUs and RAM, they've got plenty of margin

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

2 hours ago, GDRRiley said:

what? we know parts costs on phones, 6/6S/7/8 cost them something like 250$ in parts for a 700$ phone. apple easily has 100% margin there
X costed 370$ in parts and were sold for 1000$ even if it cost them 130$ to assemble it they still make 100%

mhm. what about software? Apple develops their own OS, that's very expensive. what about app distribution? Apple has it's own platform for that, that's very expensive. what about support? Apple supports iPhones that are almost 7 years old right now with the latest software. that's very expensive. 

2 hours ago, GDRRiley said:

and what linus said was they cost the same as building it yourself for many iMacs/ mac pros that doesn't factor in apples lower than retail cost on things like CPUs and RAM, they've got plenty of margin

again, Apple develops their own OS, has it's own platform for apps, validates drivers and support... 

She/Her

16 minutes ago, Ashley MLP Fangirl said:

mhm. what about software? Apple develops their own OS, that's very expensive. what about app distribution? Apple has it's own platform for that, that's very expensive. what about support? Apple supports iPhones that are almost 7 years old right now with the latest software. that's very expensive. 

again, Apple develops their own OS, has it's own platform for apps, validates drivers and support... 

software costs are pretty low when you sell 10s of millions of the same devices.

apple makes lots of money from the app store, that easily pays for first party apps and the cost of running the store.

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

3 hours ago, GDRRiley said:

You’re forgetting R&D costs, which a lot of people either forget about or ignore. Once you have fully designed a phone the BOM may not be that high relative to how much they are sold for, but getting to that point isn’t cheap. 

That being said clearly their profit margins are healthy, they wouldn’t be as big as they are if they only had a 5% margin on each phone, I really doubt the margin is 100% though.

On 9/7/2021 at 2:32 PM, Agojama1 said:

hen in fact it will allow Nvidia and AMD to order more vafers and meet the demand for GPU with increased

Considering they are tapped out on how much they can produce I dont see how they can meet demand. What are they going to do start pulling GPU's out of their ass? 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

16 hours ago, GDRRiley said:

software costs are pretty low when you sell 10s of millions of the same devices.

uh no, developing 5 OS's as they do is expensive. very expensive. cuz it's not just the OS, also first party apps. 

She/Her

3 hours ago, Ashley MLP Fangirl said:

uh no, developing 5 OS's as they do is expensive. very expensive. cuz it's not just the OS, also first party apps. 

they don't make 5OS, they've got 2 with one having a few sub versions.
the cost of first party apps is covered by the app store

On 9/7/2021 at 8:32 PM, Agojama1 said:

Linus states that will TSMC price increase will drive GPU prices even higher, when in fact it will allow Nvidia and AMD to order more vafers and meet the demand for GPU with increased MSRP, but getting rid of shortage in the process.

Thanks for fearsome claims, bots are now buying everything possible and more people THAN EVER are monitoring GPU avaliablility.

We should troll bots more

4 hours ago, Ashley MLP Fangirl said:

They don't have 5 separate, unrelated operating systems. iPadOS, tvOS, and watchOS are all based on iOS. That's 2 major categories - iOS and macOS. 

Phobos: AMD Ryzen 7 2700, 16GB 3000MHz DDR4, ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 8GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070, 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT 1030, 1TB Samsung SSD 980, 450W Corsair CXM, Corsair Carbide 175R, Windows 10 Pro

Polaris: Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASRock X79 Extreme6, 12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080, 6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti, 1TB Crucial MX500, 750W Corsair RM750, Antec SX635, Windows 10 Pro

Pluto: Intel Core i7-2600, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASUS P8Z68-V, 4GB XFX AMD Radeon RX 570, 8GB ASUS AMD Radeon RX 570, 1TB Samsung 860 EVO, 3TB Seagate BarraCuda, 750W EVGA BQ, Fractal Design Focus G, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

York (NAS): Intel Core i5-2400, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, HP Compaq OEM, 240GB Kingston V300 (boot), 3x2TB Seagate BarraCuda, 320W HP PSU, HP Compaq 6200 Pro, TrueNAS CORE (12.0)

16 hours ago, GDRRiley said:

they don't make 5OS, they've got 2 with one having a few sub versions.
the cost of first party apps is covered by the app store

they make 5. all for different hardware. 

She/Her

14 hours ago, BondiBlue said:

They don't have 5 separate, unrelated operating systems. iPadOS, tvOS, and watchOS are all based on iOS. That's 2 major categories - iOS and macOS. 

based on yes. but they are absolutely not the same and there's loads of development going into each one. 

She/Her

51 minutes ago, Ashley MLP Fangirl said:

well then if they make it for different hardware i don't even want to imagine the OS costs on something like windows and linux that have much wider hardware range than the lock set hardware from apple ... they exist to make money if you think otherwise you're just delusional...
https://www.cnbc.com/2021/04/28/apple-price-hikes-and-services-growth-produced-a-42point5percent-gross-margin.html

30 minutes ago, _crazy_crazy_ said:

well then if they make it for different hardware i don't even want to imagine the OS costs on something like windows and linux that have much wider hardware range than the lock set hardware from apple ... they exist to make money if you think otherwise you're just delusional...
https://www.cnbc.com/2021/04/28/apple-price-hikes-and-services-growth-produced-a-42point5percent-gross-margin.html

windows and linux have nowhere close to the hardware integration that Apple's OS's do. they verify drivers for example, making that a non-issue for users.

She/Her

47 minutes ago, _crazy_crazy_ said:

According to the article the margins on services like itunes and app store are 70%. Thats a lot of margin from software and app purchases, then again its a closed in ecosystem. And I think thats even more reason to allow people to sideload software.

And apple gets a lower rate from TSMC than other companies do, so their hardware margins are likely higher than other phone makers.

26 minutes ago, Ashley MLP Fangirl said:

windows and linux have nowhere close to the hardware integration that Apple's OS's do. they verify drivers for example, making that a non-issue for users.

LOL ... , and yet still they have problems with printers and other peripherals that are not their mouse and keyboard .....
also windows has driver signature verification too just fyi
and linux ... well i rather not go through the all embedded  scene (appliances,automatons  and industrial machines where linux is still all mighty xD )

1 hour ago, _crazy_crazy_ said:

LOL ... , and yet still they have problems with printers and other peripherals that are not their mouse and keyboard .....

source

1 hour ago, _crazy_crazy_ said:

also windows has driver signature verification too just fyi

that's not what i meant. Apple verifying drivers means that everything on a Mac is guaranteed to work. you won't have to deal with graphics drivers crashing for example like on Windows. 

She/Her

1 hour ago, Ashley MLP Fangirl said:

that's not what i meant. Apple verifying drivers means that everything on a Mac is guaranteed to work. you won't have to deal with graphics drivers crashing for example like on Windows. 

It's easier for apple to do this due to the small configuration variety compared to windows.

On 9/9/2021 at 5:18 PM, Ashley MLP Fangirl said:

5 hours ago, Ashley MLP Fangirl said:

5 hours ago, Ashley MLP Fangirl said:

based on yes. but they are absolutely not the same and there's loads of development going into each one. 

Are they developing the OS from scratch every time, or are they adding to an existing platform/framework? One's more expensive than the other.

The same thing applies to first party apps.

7 minutes ago, lewdicrous said:

Are they developing the OS from scratch every time, or are they adding to an existing platform/framework? One's more expensive than the other.

The same thing applies to first party apps.

They don't have 5 separate, independent operating systems. There's basically iOS and macOS. tvOS (for Apple TV products), watchOS (for the Apple Watch), and iPadOS (for the iPad) are all based on iOS. 

Phobos: AMD Ryzen 7 2700, 16GB 3000MHz DDR4, ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 8GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070, 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT 1030, 1TB Samsung SSD 980, 450W Corsair CXM, Corsair Carbide 175R, Windows 10 Pro

Polaris: Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASRock X79 Extreme6, 12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080, 6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti, 1TB Crucial MX500, 750W Corsair RM750, Antec SX635, Windows 10 Pro

Pluto: Intel Core i7-2600, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASUS P8Z68-V, 4GB XFX AMD Radeon RX 570, 8GB ASUS AMD Radeon RX 570, 1TB Samsung 860 EVO, 3TB Seagate BarraCuda, 750W EVGA BQ, Fractal Design Focus G, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

York (NAS): Intel Core i5-2400, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, HP Compaq OEM, 240GB Kingston V300 (boot), 3x2TB Seagate BarraCuda, 320W HP PSU, HP Compaq 6200 Pro, TrueNAS CORE (12.0)

12 minutes ago, BondiBlue said:

They don't have 5 separate, independent operating systems. There's basically iOS and macOS. tvOS (for Apple TV products), watchOS (for the Apple Watch), and iPadOS (for the iPad) are all based on iOS. 

I get that, my question was are they developing those from scratch every time, or are just building up on the previous iteration, 'cause they're pointing at those and saying they're very expensive to develop, I'm sure it was, at first, but the cost of maintaining thema and adding to them is cheaper compared to starting from the bottom for every version. Also the smarter approach.

I'm kinda adding to the point that software costs are relatively.

I think there's a chance OP could be right(not because of Linus though). Some of you guys are talking like there's no price ceiling on these items like people are going to pay 5,000$ for a 3060.
The cards will sell for whatever the demand is and if that's close enough to MSRP the scalers are less likely to bot it. With more and more used GPUs starting to float around and as new ones get bought/more systems get built, I could see overall demand start to decrease soon.

I can also see the opposite where the scalpers do just start charging 2grand for 3060s and people are paying it somehow. I think that is less likely though.

I think OP is mostly right,  just drawing the *wrong* conclusions? If manufacturers prices go up, prices will go up for everyone,  not down...

And calling this fearmongering is at least highly debatable,  its just how things work nowadays... youtube/influencers have some sort of tech / manufacturing news, prices will usually (or rather always?) go up.

This was a thing before the pandemic,  but it definitely got worse, for apparent reasons (supply and demand)

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

-= Locked =-

SO, after reviewing, I found the topic has turned into an X vs Y and a few other spinoffs of derailment.

I believe this has reached its end otherwise I fear this will become a toxic topic that is not desirable for the community.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER