Linus fearmongering again

Agojama1

Linus states that will TSMC price increase will drive GPU prices even higher, when in fact it will allow Nvidia and AMD to order more vafers and meet the demand for GPU with increased MSRP, but getting rid of shortage in the process.

Thanks for fearsome claims, bots are now buying everything possible and more people THAN EVER are monitoring GPU avaliablility.

3 minutes ago, Agojama1 said:

Linus states that will TSMC price increase will drive GPU prices even higher, when in fact it will allow Nvidia and AMD to order more vafers 

[citation needed]

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

3 minutes ago, Agojama1 said:

Linus states that will TSMC price increase will drive GPU prices even higher, when in fact it will allow Nvidia and AMD to order more vafers and meet the demand for GPU with increased MSRP, but getting rid of shortage in the process.

Thanks for fearsome claims, bots are now buying everything possible and more people THAN EVER are monitoring GPU avaliablility.

it will increase it. you think the 5-20% raise (apple is rumored to have a sweetheart deal maybe AMD and Nvida did too) won't affect the end product cost? They all want their same cut so they'll increase pricing, will it go up 20% no, but 5% maybe

That means more fabs need to be open, increasing prices doesn't change how much you can make, and more fabs won't start for 2-3 more years

there is stock still if you know where to look

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

11 minutes ago, Agojama1 said:

So what you're trying to say is:

Prices will go up for the raw material (wafers), they will then NOT pass the cost onto the consumers because they are good guys and it will allow them to order more wafers because somehow when the fabs are already at 100% capacity and nobody is going to give up precious fab space they are going to have more?

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

12 minutes ago, Agojama1 said:

when in fact it will allow Nvidia and AMD to order more vafers and meet the demand for GPU with increased MSRP

Raising the price a little bit won't stop multi billion dollar companies from buying wafers. It'll just raise the price more that we pay. If a company pays $20 for something today and sells it to us for $40. Then their supplier says "hey, we're raising prices" and now company pays $30. Do you honestly think we'll still only pay $40? They have their margin figured out. We'd be paying $60.

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

8 minutes ago, GDRRiley said:

apple is rumored to have a sweetheart deal

I wouldn't doubt it, their prices haven't gone up at all iirc since the whole shortage thing... 

She/Her

Just now, Ashley MLP Fangirl said:

I wouldn't doubt it, their prices haven't gone up at all iirc since the whole shortage thing... 

apples got so much margin on everything a I wouldn't be surprised if they ate any minor cost increase this gen and then increased it on the next gen

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

3070 Ti was $599 MSRP and you would be lucky to find it for less than $1200 right now. Casual buying price is around $1500.

My idea is that instead of selling GPUs for "600" they will most likely sell those same cards for 900$ cutting the margin for scalpers and completing needed demand, because Nvidia profits most from every new GPU sold. 

Secondly, right now there is a competition between orders, so people have to spent extra time and effort to secure needed volume of vaifers and can never get enought. With price competition Nvidia can pump out as much videocards as needed when the demand is still high - it will only decrease after christmas.

Just now, Agojama1 said:

Secondly, right now there is a competition between orders, so people have to spent extra time and effort to secure needed volume of vaifers and can never get enought. With price competition Nvidia can pump out as much videocards as needed when the demand is still high - it will only decrease after christmas.

What???

The supply of wafers remains the same because there's no new fab capacity, the fabs are raising their prices because the demand gives them all the power to do so, and somehow you think this is going to create "price competition" that will lead to more cards at lower prices?

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

2 minutes ago, Agojama1 said:

3070 Ti was $599 MSRP and you would be lucky to find it for less than $1200 right now. Casual buying price is around $1500.

My idea is that instead of selling GPUs for "600" they will most likely sell those same cards for 900$ cutting the margin for scalpers and completing needed demand, because Nvidia profits most from every new GPU sold. 

Ummm, no

There is ZERO extra capacity right now, they have to build more plants to produce more wafers. NOBODY is giving up their existing allocation and EVERYONE is fighting for more even though there is none to give.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

4 minutes ago, Agojama1 said:

So scalper prices go up. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

11 minutes ago, Agojama1 said:

If MSRP went up even more, than scalpers would charge even more.

And there is no extra capacity, theres even rumors that GPU supply might go down. Fab capacity is at the limit, and car manufacturers have to shut down assembly plants because they can't finish vehicles without chips.

https://www.pcgamer.com/nvidia-gpu-supply-drop-rumour/

25 minutes ago, Mel0nMan said:

The point of channels like LTT is to inform to help people. And what is your source for your counter-argument? 

Unpopular opinion, but LTT is more of an entertainment channel nowadays, than an informative channel.

Just now, Blademaster91 said:

If MSRP went up even more, than scalpers would charge even more.

And there is no extra capacity, theres even rumors that GPU supply might go down. Fab capacity is at the limit for a lot of companies, including car manufacturers that have to shut down assembly plants because they can't finish vehicles without chips.

https://www.pcgamer.com/nvidia-gpu-supply-drop-rumour/

Unpopular opinion, but LTT is more of an entertainment channel nowadays, than an informative channel.

i still strongly disagree, on a fixed supply some will have to let go on inflated prices, you can't charge 300$ more for some type of products like videocards do. Imagine buying your kettle, or overpaying 100$ for "smart" kettle. 

Also Intel should enter the fight soon, so Nvidia better hurry print as much as they can.

4 minutes ago, Agojama1 said:

Also Intel should enter the fight soon, so Nvidia better hurry print as much as they can.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought XE was on TSMC 3nm.

Project Hot Box

Oppbevaring

Why is the 5800x so hot?

9 minutes ago, Agojama1 said:

i still strongly disagree, on a fixed supply some will have to let go on inflated prices

Why? You provide zero logical reason for this contention.

These are the conditions:

1. Cost of materials is going up.

2. Demand for materials is maxed out.

3. Demand for finished product is maxed out so every single card that gets made is sold, most well above MSRP.

Why would prices for cards go down without either reduces manufacturing cost or reduced consumer demand? With all of the ordinary market forces pushing prices higher, about the only other thing that could change pricing would government action in the form of a subsidy (although government subsidies actually tend to make things more expensive) or price control. 

6 minutes ago, Middcore said:

Why? You provide zero logical reason for this contention.

These are the conditions:

1. Cost of materials is going up.

2. Demand for materials is maxed out.

3. Demand for finished product is maxed out so every single card that gets made is sold, most well above MSRP.

Why would prices for cards go down without either reduces manufacturing cost or reduced consumer demand?

1. Increased supply 
- Smaller fab orders will be cancelled due to unaffordable prices
- More accurate volume prediction, better planning of sales.
2. Reduced demand
- If MSRP goes up, tighter margins for scalpers. Because people have limits on how much they can spend too.

Overall my point is that PC gaming will NOT become more affordable in the near future, it will continue to be overpriced. But at least you will be able to buy GPU at your local store.

1 minute ago, Agojama1 said:

1. Increased supply 
2. Reduced demand
- If MSRP goes up, tighter margins for scalpers. Because people have limits on how much they can spend too.

Overall my point is not that PC gaming will become more affordable in the near future, it will continue to be overpriced. But at least you will be able to buy GPU at your local store first.

Smaller fab orders will be cancelled based on what logic? That companies would rather go out of business than pass costs onto customers?

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

This take of yours is hot garbage and only works IF prices are increasing regardless, which would be exactly Linus's point.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

Just now, Agojama1 said:

1. Increased supply 

They won't be, though. The added cost will just be passed along to the consumer until the point (if one exists) where people stop buying. 

I don't know what this is supposed to mean.

Just now, Agojama1 said:

2. Reduced demand
- If MSRP goes up,

Which it will. Maybe not the official "MSRP" which is nothing more than marketing in the end, but the sticker price at the retailer. 

Just now, Agojama1 said:

tighter margins for scalpers. Because people have limits on how much they can spend too.

The scalpers will just raise their prices. Yes, people have a limit on how much they can spend, but right now there are enough people whose limit is high enough that every GPU is getting sold, no matter how high the price, and we cannot predict where the tipping point is where that will no longer be the case.

Overall, nothing you have said refutes Linus's prediction prices will go up. 

2 hours ago, Agojama1 said:

Linus states that will TSMC price increase will drive GPU prices even higher, when in fact it will allow Nvidia and AMD to order more vafers

How would that work when all fabs are overbooked to the max? 

"Overbooked" as in the 1st tier costumers (Apple,AMD,NVidia etc) already take up so much supply that any small order will just be canceled/delayed with any unplanned downtime.

So no NVidia/AMD won't get anything more until supply goes up (which will take years) and with the high demand for their products they will have no issue passing on extra cost.

Prices will go back down when

-> supply increases (2023 or later)

-> crypto crashes reducing demand and flooding the market with used parts

-> global economic crisis that makes tech unaffordable for most even at unscalped prices

4 hours ago, Agojama1 said:

Yes, because people were waiting around specifically for Linus to have any input on this and only then spin up their bots because of what he said....

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

20 hours ago, GDRRiley said:

apples got so much margin on everything a I wouldn't be surprised if they ate any minor cost increase this gen and then increased it on the next gen

ugh stupid argument, even ltt have proved that the "apple tax" is a myth

She/Her