Google's new Phone, the Pixel 6 lineup will not include a charger in the box. Welp!

Summary

The favorable phone from Google, The Google Pixel 6 and Google Pixel 6 Pro that will come with a "custom" Tensor chip is confirmed to not include a charger in the box. Woops, Google fell into what I call the "Samsung-Apple" Hole.

Quotes

According to GSMArena:

Neither the Pixel 6 nor the Pixel 6 Pro will ship with a charger in the box. Google is thus following in the footsteps of Apple and Samsung, the biggest companies currently doing the same thing - either for all devices (Apple), or just for flagships (Samsung).

The Pixel 5a is thus the last Google phone to include a charging brick in the box. Google told The Verge that most people already have a USB-C charger, so there's no point in including one anymore. Like Apple and Samsung, Google stayed mum on the fact that this move also helps them save some money. Surprise, surprise.

My thoughts

Not surprised, I knew Google considers Apple their competitor in the market so That's to be expected considering companies like to follow suit with what Apple does, because Apple never fails with what they do no matter what (well Almost). Also 100% the Pixel 6 lineup won't even have a headphone jack unlike the Pixel 5a, So RIP people's dream of Google including a better charger, if they even had one. We will see what it will look like with the Pixel 6a by then.

Also Google, Not all people have a Type-C charger, You fool. 

Sources

There are so, soo many sources confirming it so I'll leave a duckduckgo search term:

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=google+pixel+6+will+not+have+a+charger

from where i First saw it:

https://gsmarena.com/google_pixel_6_and_pixel_6_pro_wont_have_a_charger_in_the_box-news-50558.php

Source GSMArena provides:

https://www.theverge.com/2021/8/17/22628702/google-pixel-6-charger-not-included

Make sure to quote me if you want me to respond

Turn your Mobile VR or PSVR Headset into a working 6DoF SteamVR one guide/tutorial (below):

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My PC

At this point it would've been stupid for them to include a charger. It's such an easy cash grab - now that Apple and Samsung have done it - that any manufacturer that still  includes a charger, needs to rethink what the hell they're doing. Of course it's a huge middle finger to the customer, but the customer doesn't care. Just like I won't care and buy a Pixel 6 at launch anyway, cause fuck morals and long live double-standards! It's just like the lyrics of Human Being:

"Then if I'm acting like a king, don't you know it's 'cause
I'm a human being, and if I

Want too many things, don't you know it's 'cause
I'm a human being"

14 minutes ago, GorujoCY said:

Also 100% the Pixel 6 lineup won't even have a headphone jack unlike the Pixel 5a

Of course not. The Pixel 5 already didn't have a headphone jack. That's no surprise. It's actually surprising that the 5a has one.

It's funny they mention charge speeds and then not include the charger. Most people have some crap no name chargers or some 2.1A charger, so they'll never see those rates. It's why it's nice Chinese makers compete who can pull more watts from chargers, because they need to include them as a result coz they use some proprietary charge protocols.

At this point you've got to commend some Chinese brands with including a GaN charger in their lineup before they inevitably follow suit and ditch including a charger. So people will have a good quality one on hand that they can use for their next device. Unlike Apple... who unfortunately kept the pathetic 5W one to the bitter end. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

3 minutes ago, Senzelian said:

At this point it would've been stupid for them to include a charger. It's such an easy cash grab - now that Apple and Samsung have done it - that any manufacturer that still  includes a charger, needs to rethink what the hell they're doing. Of course it's a huge middle finger to the customer, but the customer doesn't care. Just like I won't care and buy a Pixel 6 at launch anyway, cause fuck morals and long live double-standards! It's just like the lyrics of Human Being:

"Then if I'm acting like a king, don't you know it's 'cause
I'm a human being, and if I

Want too many things, don't you know it's 'cause
I'm a human being"

Of course not. The Pixel 5 already didn't have a headphone jack. That's no surprise. It's actually surprising that the 5a has one.

I agree, we went from non removable batteries as Standard to then removing the headphone jack to then not including a charger, The non-removable charger is very understandable, things have fairly evolved but lik the headphone jack and the charger? damn Companies lol. oh well we are about to accept it and it might get bad.

Turn your Mobile VR or PSVR Headset into a working 6DoF SteamVR one guide/tutorial (below):

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My PC

4 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

At this point you've got to commend some Chinese brands with including a GaN charger in their lineup before they inevitably follow suit and ditch including a charger. That may people will have a good quality one on hand they can use for their next device. Unlike Apple... who unfortunately kept the pathetic 5W one to the bitter end. 

I agree, that's one one of the reasons I support Xiaomi for at least including a charger in the mi 11, it's so then they can ditch the chargers and if a customer decides to buy the new phone or upgrade down the line if they keep their Mi 11 for a while, they'll still be able to use the charger and that's just a great move!

and then we mat have companies like realme and Oppo competing with charging speeds, Xiaomi as well when they do.

Edited by GorujoCY

My PC

6 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

Pay more to get less

I mean yeah, they do become cheaper, but like the Customer should at least have the option to ship the charger if the need it, not everyone has say a Type-C charger.

Companies should have went with what xiaomi does but you know they are a million and billion dollar companies and don't give a shit.

I've had a situation where my dad got an iPhone 12 Mini but he needed to buy a type-c charger in order to charge the phone and they wanted to use my laptop to charge it till they get a charger, which kinda frustrated me.

My PC

2 minutes ago, Caroline said:

L O L

watching corps playing the save the planet card doing things like this while at the same time they simply keep manufacturing shitty, disposable and poor quality devices that become obsolete in 2-3 years due to mom's spaghetti code and normie users falling going with the fads they create is simply pathetic

The companies aren't pathetic. They're the smart ones here.
The idiots are the ones that believe it and buy the product - me included. I'm a total idiot. But hey, at least I'm aware of being an idiot.

33 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

At this point you've got to commend some Chinese brands with including a GaN charger in their lineup before they inevitably follow suit and ditch including a charger. So people will have a good quality one on hand that they can use for their next device. Unlike Apple... who unfortunately kept the pathetic 5W one to the bitter end. 

Yeah, but if you're selling the phone, it's much easier to sell the phone if you have it in original box with all the accessories, including charger. So, even though you get it with one, you'll also lose it when you sell the phone. Unless you'll somehow sell it without one...

1 minute ago, RejZoR said:

Yeah, but if you're selling the phone, it's much easier to sell the phone if you have it in original box with all the accessories, including charger. So, even though you get it with one, you'll also lose it when you sell the phone. Unless you'll somehow sell it without one...

which is why I feel like choice should come in, it would be nice if you chose to also ship the charger, like in the box or separately so that when it is sold and the charger was a separate addon, You could keep it even with selling the phone.

My PC

oh no, how will I be able to add to my drawer of excess chargers and cables now??

32 minutes ago, Caroline said:

keep manufacturing shitty, disposable and poor quality devices that become obsolete in 2-3 years

phones easily last more than 2 or 3 years if you buy a half decent one and take care of it. my LG G6 is on its 4th year and still going strong.

"Like Apple and Samsung, Google stayed mum on the fact that this move also helps them save some money. Surprise, surprise."

They also won't mention how now charger makers will need to produce far more chargers for iPhones and Android devices, which means they'll use more cardboard, paper and more resources, and that these phones will end up in a landfill somewhere in a few years and have unrecyclable materials such as lithium ion batteries, offsetting any and all carbon footprint reduction by using less packaging materials for their phones to the point where it's almost nil. They can pretend to care about the environment all they want but it's all just empty posturing.

But of course, any carbon footprint reduction is gonna be theater when 100 companies, mostly in the oil industry, output 71% of all emissions.

7 minutes ago, Nowak said:

They also won't mention how now charger makers will need to produce far more chargers for iPhones and Android devices

huh? Thats literally the exact opposite. Fewer will need to be made since they aren't shipping with every phone now

8 minutes ago, Nowak said:

But of course, any carbon footprint reduction is gonna be theater when 100 companies, mostly in the oil industry, output 71% of all emissions.

...because of consumers. They produce what people demand. If people stopped buying their products, they'd stop producing. Reducing the amount of chargers being produced is a great step.

1 minute ago, poochyena said:

huh? Thats literally the exact opposite. Fewer will need to be made since they aren't shipping with every phone now

Someone already pointed it out but not everyone has USB-C chargers. Most of my devices now are USB-C so I have a few at home, but there's still millions more without any USB-C chargers or even devices with it. If they do own one device that charges over USB-C, it's likely a Nintendo Switch, and they can't just always keep the charger away from that, especially if they wanna play their games on the TV. Tech enthusiasts are just a minority in the grand scheme of things, and not everyone has like, 5 - 10 USB-C chargers, cables or devices laying around. So yes, they will need to bump up production of chargers since people who are gonna be buying their first USB-C device.

5 minutes ago, Nowak said:

Someone already pointed it out but not everyone has USB-C chargers. Most of my devices now are USB-C so I have a few at home, but there's still millions more without any USB-C chargers or even devices with it. If they do own one device that charges over USB-C, it's likely a Nintendo Switch, and they can't just always keep the charger away from that, especially if they wanna play their games on the TV. Tech enthusiasts are just a minority in the grand scheme of things, and not everyone has like, 5 - 10 USB-C chargers, cables or devices laying around. So yes, they will need to bump up production of chargers since people who are gonna be buying their first USB-C device.

you might be referring to my thoughts

Also Google, Not all people have a Type-C charger, You fool. 

Thanks for acknowledging tho but I just said this based on the main source of the quote

My PC

2 minutes ago, GorujoCY said:

you might be referring to my thoughts

Thanks for acknowledging tho but I just said this based on the main source of the quote

Yup, I am. I know so many people with either zero USB-C devices, or only one USB-C device and it's a Nintendo Switch, even now in 2021.

I would know, they're my family.

I don't begrudge the companies at all. We, the consumers always settle for less and then apologize for why the companies bend us over. This is just another box checked as someone in the thread above said, "pay more for less". No truer words spoken.

Leonidas Specs: Ryzen 7 5800X3D | AMD 6800 XT Midnight Black | MSI B550 Gaming Plus | Corsair Dominator CL16 3200 MHz  4x8 32GB | be quiet! Silent Base 802

Maximus Specs: Ryzen 7 3700x | AMD 6700 XT Power Color Fighter | Asrock B550M-Itx/AC | Corsair Vengeance CL 16 3200 MHz 2x8 16 GB | Fractal Ridge Case (HTPC)

41 minutes ago, Nowak said:

Someone already pointed it out but not everyone has USB-C chargers.

the majority of people do though at this point, even more have a usb wall outlet. As someone said earlier, most people upgrade every 2 or 3 years. USB C has been standard on phones for 4 or 5 years now.

42 minutes ago, Nowak said:

So yes, they will need to bump up production of chargers since people who are gonna be buying their first USB-C device.

? I don't understand why they would be bumping up production for that. If 10 people buy the phone, 3 have chargers, then they will only need to make 7 chargers, down from 10.

3 minutes ago, poochyena said:

the majority of people do though at this point, even more have a usb wall outlet. As someone said earlier, most people upgrade every 2 or 3 years. USB C has been standard on phones for 4 or 5 years now.

Have you looked at the cheap, low-end phones that most people actually buy? Most of them are still micro-USB. There's also people upgrading from older iPhones, which use Lightning to USB-A cables.

4 minutes ago, poochyena said:

? I don't understand why they would be bumping up production for that. If 10 people buy the phone, 3 have chargers, then they will only need to make 7 chargers, down from 10.

See above.

16 minutes ago, Nowak said:

Have you looked at the cheap, low-end phones that most people actually buy? Most of them are still micro-USB. There's also people upgrading from older iPhones, which use Lightning to USB-A cables.

16 minutes ago, Nowak said:

See above.

No, most are not micro usb, they were type C https://www.statista.com/statistics/1122068/share-of-new-smartphone-models-with-usb-c-charger/
and no, that does not explain how not including a usb cable and wall charger somehow mean they will need to increase production.

oh, and here you can see half of phones released between 2018 and now under $400 have usb c https://www.gsmarena.com/search.php3?nYearMin=2018&nPriceMax=350

3 minutes ago, poochyena said:

No, most are not mico usb, they were type C https://www.statista.com/statistics/1122068/share-of-new-smartphone-models-with-usb-c-charger/
and no, that does not explain how not including a usb cable and wall charger somehow mean they will need to increase production.

oh, and here you can see half of phones relased between 2018 and now under $400 have usb c https://www.gsmarena.com/search.php3?nYearMin=2018&nPriceMax=350

I mean the bottom of the barrel. Phones for like, $100. Phones that people buy because they don't really want or need a whole lot of phone, and don't have a lot of money to spend. Very few of those are USB-C, even from big names from Samsung.

But you might be able to find one from Nokia lol

20 minutes ago, Nowak said:

I mean the bottom of the barrel. Phones for like, $100. Phones that people buy because they don't really want or need a whole lot of phone, and don't have a lot of money to spend. Very few of those are USB-C, even from big names from Samsung.

Plenty of people have micro usb cables too, so i'm not real sure what your point is

Just now, poochyena said:

Plenty of people have micro usb cables too, so i'm not real sure what your point is

Yeah, because everything used to use that and there still are things that do. Meanwhile, as I said, someone's only USB-C device might be a Switch.

Just now, Nowak said:

Meanwhile, as I said, someone's only USB-C device might be a Switch.

ok and? Whats your point? You can buy a new cable for 5 to 10 dollars if you really need another one. Many people don't, especially those buying higher end phones. The point is to reduce waste. I have 4 or 5 usb c cables. If a device I buy comes with an extra cable and wall outlet, it would just be e-waste.